PDA

View Full Version : New guns for Slovakia

Glenn E. Meyer
12-23-2015, 04:01 PM
http://www.janes.com/article/56865/slovakia-replaces-semi-automatic-pistol-inventory

The four 9 mm semi-automatic handguns ordered by Slovakia on 16 December (from top): the Glock 17 Gen4 'intervention pistol'; and three CZ 'service pistols': the semi-compact CZ 2075D RAMI P, compact CZ P-07, and standard CZ P-09. (Slovakian Ministry of Internal Affairs)

- Hey , did we still pick a new service pistol? Is the Walker Colt with a polymer frame still in the running?

NCmtnman
12-23-2015, 04:04 PM
It almost looks like they went and purchased a few very serviceable pistols right off the rack. Fancy that....

Jeep
12-25-2015, 09:44 PM
It almost looks like they went and purchased a few very serviceable pistols right off the rack. Fancy that....

It just shows what a mickey-mouse operation Slovakia is. A real military--a superpower military--will spend years and tens of millions of dollars just to give bidders a vague idea what it is interested in, and then take years more to evaluate the proposals, before junking the process and starting again. During that time the real military won't allow any improvements in its current contract pistol because that might suggest the current contract is good enough.

You have to pity the Slovakians, who lacked the resources to do a proper superpower process and thus got stuck with two local brands that hardly anyone else uses.

Hot Sauce
12-25-2015, 10:42 PM
It just shows what a mickey-mouse operation Slovakia is. A real military--a superpower military--will spend years and tens of millions of dollars just to give bidders a vague idea what it is interested in, and then take years more to evaluate the proposals, before junking the process and starting again. During that time the real military won't allow any improvements in its current contract pistol because that might suggest the current contract is good enough.

You have to pity the Slovakians, who lacked the resources to do a proper superpower process and thus got stuck with two local brands that hardly anyone else uses.

Hilarious! If only the acquisitions goobers would read this and listen.

Kyle Reese
12-25-2015, 11:00 PM
Why didn't their handgun procurement process take 10 years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chuck Haggard
12-26-2015, 01:11 AM
Makes me scratch my head why they split the contract between Glock and CZ

HCM
12-26-2015, 02:20 AM

The guns are for both Military and LE. So Glocks for the military and CZ's for LE or vice versa?

Chuck Haggard
12-26-2015, 02:28 AM
The guns are for both Military and LE. So Glocks for the military and CZ's for LE or vice versa?

It appears from the article that some of each go to both.

Wondering Beard
12-26-2015, 10:31 AM

Might there be the possibility that some "personal relationships" needed tending to?

psalms144.1
12-26-2015, 10:39 AM
As I read the article, the GLOCKs are "intervention" pistols - maybe SWAT/SF/other "cool guy" issue, while the CZ will be "Service" pistols in three sizes - uniformed, compact and high ranker/detectives?

And, I'll add, it's pretty awesome that someone can figure out how to procure equipment for general issue without taking a decade and wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars in the process...

Hambo
12-26-2015, 10:44 AM
Obviously no one in their military plans a career around selecting one piece of equipment. With the money they saved not doing endless, pointless testing they can buy some ammo so the troops can learn how to shoot them.

Beat Trash
12-26-2015, 10:48 AM
If I were to take a guess, I would say that their striker fired "Intervention Pistols" AKA Glock 17 are going to units with more firearms training, like military and LEO tactical units. The DA/SA pistols with an external safety are going to the armed masses.

Jeep
12-26-2015, 11:03 AM
Obviously no one in their military plans a career around selecting one piece of equipment. With the money they saved not doing endless, pointless testing they can buy some ammo so the troops can learn how to shoot them.

Ammo? Why would they want to buy ammo when they could engage in a decades-long quest for the Holy Grail of pistols. The one perfect pistol that does everything perfectly and makes no compromises at all? The pistol that is so awesome that no practice is ever necessary (because, after all there is no money left for practice ammo)?

Frankly, I think we ought to kick Slovakia out of NATO before this kind of thing gets more widespread. I mean, if we started doing things like this, we would keep the A-10 in inventory and buy ships capable of fighting rather than the new littoral combat ships. Obviously this stuff needs to stop before it gets out of hand.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-26-2015, 11:57 AM
Given Montenegro is joining Nato - expect these to enter the US decision process:

http://www.gundigest.com/gun-collecting-firearm-collecting/the-revolvers-of-montenegro

Jeep
12-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Given Montenegro is joining Nato - expect these to enter the US decision process:

http://www.gundigest.com/gun-collecting-firearm-collecting/the-revolvers-of-montenegro

Glenn: Um . . . I think you are forgetting the Constitutional purpose of weapons contracts, which is to allow the executive branch to award contracts to Congressional districts in which the local representative has pledged to vote for the executive's own priorities. So before Montenegrin revolvers get in the system, Montenegro is going to have to establish a factory in a district favored by the administration. Say Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco district? Now its true that very few people in San Francisco would be qualified to manufacture a working example of one of those revolvers, but that's a win-win. It would be a kinder, far-less lethal firearm, that would look very snazzy in a holster.

Hot Sauce
12-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Seems like it would have been easier to pick one mid-sized pistol instead to keep things simple. The CZ P01 comes to mind, seeing as it has already been through rigorous testing and given an NSN number.

And I don't say that as a fanboy, I don't think it fits me particularly well, as much as I wanted to like it.

Hambo
12-26-2015, 07:52 PM
Ammo? Why would they want to buy ammo when they could engage in a decades-long quest for the Holy Grail of pistols. The one perfect pistol that does everything perfectly and makes no compromises at all? The pistol that is so awesome that no practice is ever necessary (because, after all there is no money left for practice ammo)?

Frankly, I think we ought to kick Slovakia out of NATO before this kind of thing gets more widespread. I mean, if we started doing things like this, we would keep the A-10 in inventory and buy ships capable of fighting rather than the new littoral combat ships. Obviously this stuff needs to stop before it gets out of hand.

I'm sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. How else can you guarantee that you and successive generations of your family can make O-6 if we don't have endless test programs?

Danjojo
12-26-2015, 09:29 PM
I think they did it right even though I haven't warmed up to the Rami models yet.

Jeep
12-28-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. How else can you guarantee that you and successive generations of your family can make O-6 if we don't have endless test programs?

Ah, finally someone understands what is important in small-arms procurement!

Kyle Reese
12-28-2015, 05:46 PM
IIRC Czech and Slovak troops have deployed with Glock 17's in the past, so this may be the "intervention" they're referring to.