PDA

View Full Version : The NBA is partnering with Bloomberg for anti gun violence campaigns

LittleLebowski
12-23-2015, 12:46 PM
I'll laugh if the NFL is next.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/24/sports/basketball/nba-gun-violence-campaign-michael-bloomberg.html?referer=http:/news.google.com/&_r=0

The National Basketball Association, alarmed by the death toll from shootings across the country, is stepping directly into the polarizing debate over guns, regulation and the Second Amendment with an unusual advertising campaign in partnership with one of the nation’s most aggressive advocates of stricter limits on firearm sales.

In a move with little precedent in professional sports, the N.B.A. is putting the weight of its multibillion-dollar brand and the prestige of its star athletes behind a series of television commercials calling for an end to gun violence.

The first ads, timed to reach millions of basketball fans during a series of marquee games on Christmas Day, focus on shooting victims and contain no policy recommendations. The words “gun control” are never mentioned.

LeBron James, above, had expressed his support for the shirt worn by Derrick Rose on Saturday.LeBron James, Jay-Z and More Made 'I Can't Breathe' T-Shirts Happen in the N.B.A.DEC. 9, 2014

But the organization that paid for them, Everytown for Gun Safety, has a robust and controversial agenda: It was founded by former New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg specifically as a counterweight to the National Rifle Association, and the group also battles at the local, state and federal level to expand background checks for gun buyers, strengthen penalties for gun trafficking and ban gun sales to people convicted of domestic abuse.

ffhounddog
12-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Irony.

Dagga Boy
12-23-2015, 01:03 PM
I'd like a percentage number on how many players have a felony or domestic violence case and are not eligible for gun ownership. Maybe they could do a PSA on it being okay to actually put your hands up, not resist arrest in anyway as the best means of preventing police interactions with violent outcomes. Then, maybe they can do some stuff on snitching on criminals, and not killing each other over dope and territory. Overall, the antics of professional athletes is disturbing and they are the last folks who should be examples of much of anything until they get their own house in order.

Peally
12-23-2015, 01:26 PM
I'd like a percentage number on how many players have a felony or domestic violence case and are not eligible for gun ownership. Maybe they could do a PSA on it being okay to actually put your hands up, not resist arrest in anyway as the best means of preventing police interactions with violent outcomes. Then, maybe they can do some stuff on snitching on criminals, and not killing each other over dope and territory. Overall, the antics of professional athletes is disturbing and they are the last folks who should be examples of much of anything until they get their own house in order.

Me too. It seems being a useless sack of garbage is SOP for professional athletes. The ones that turn out to be great role models and family men tend to be either rare or they're never in the limelight.

voodoo_man
12-23-2015, 01:26 PM

Pretty much this...

Its like the convicted felon union...

LittleLebowski
12-23-2015, 01:56 PM
It is only a matter of time before one of their spokesmen gets caught with a gun.

voodoo_man
12-23-2015, 02:22 PM
It is only a matter of time before one of their spokesmen gets caught with a gun.

'dat chit's fo self protyaction yo.'

Totem Polar
12-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Q: why do many NBA players cry during sexual intercourse?

A: pepper spray will do that.

Chance
12-23-2015, 03:22 PM
I have no idea if what's on this website is accurate, but I wouldn't be surprised. Have a gander at the NBA Crime Library (http://nbacrimelibrary.com/).

Trooper224
12-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Yet one more reason not to waste time watching over paid, over grown juvenile delinquents play with a ball.

LittleLebowski
12-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Yet one more reason not to waste time watching over paid, over grown juvenile delinquents play with a ball.

Concur.

Hambo
12-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Welcome to Idiocracy. People take medical advice about their kids from Jenny McCarthy, why wouldn't they take anti-violence advice from pro athletes?

Jeep
12-24-2015, 02:35 PM
It's not really the athletes behind this, though. It's the NBA's highly paid, New York City-based staff, who want to both take eyes off the antics of their athletes and want to support a cause that everyone they know believes in. Since everyone most of them knows is a NYC liberal, they want to support a liberal cause. To them, the only people opposed to gun control are people so ignorant and ill-educated that they live in flyover country,

GardoneVT
12-24-2015, 04:43 PM
It's actually a sound business decision, from the view of the NBA management.

They recruit the occasional scumbag, and they know it. An occupational hazard of this is "oh crap,player X just got caught shooting up Y club".

The NBA can turn around and say " hey, not our bad. We back gun control! "