PDA

View Full Version : New Year Resolutions

breakingtime91
12-22-2015, 09:14 PM
I didn't grow up doing resolutions but have a good friend who takes them pretty seriously. It seems he is capable of dropping one bad habit every year, which is pretty impressive. After my father passed away I gave up a lot of my own bad habits. I gave up fast food completely, stopped drinking soda, quit smoking, made sure I make it to weightlifting 5-6 times a week, and cut out bread/sugar. I decided 2016, I will try to eliminate/cut down one more thing with a New Year's resolution. Probably the most detrimental thing I do for my life now is drink. I really enjoy drinking on the weekends or days when I just feel like drinking. So instead of drinking a six pack on the weekend, I am going to put that money directly towards ammo for training. I will reserve my drinking for special occasions (reunions with family/friends or events). So that is my new years resolution thingy! Whats yours?

Kyle Reese
12-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Finish my MA & be the best father that I can be.

Drang
12-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Hit the range at least once a month.

I've said (http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/2014/01/range-day.html) it before (http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/2014/01/soul-searching-pistolero-edition.html), maybe this time I'll be motivated to follow through.

RJ
12-26-2015, 12:03 PM
Wag more, bark less.

11B10
12-26-2015, 12:09 PM
GET/DO MORE TRAINING/SHOOTING - find the $$$ SOMEwhere!

KeeFus
12-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Make it alive and healthy to this time next year. Ive got 5 to retirement so next year it'll be 4. ��

11B10
12-26-2015, 12:42 PM
Make it alive and healthy to this time next year. Ive got 5 to retirement so next year it'll be 4. ��

I hope I wouldn't offend you by saying that I'll pray for your safety, Keefus. Please be as careful as you are able.

The Apprentice
12-26-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm making goals rather than resolutions. First is to workout at least three times a week, only buy one gun (would be none but the warren tactical 1911 is still on order), get to the range at least once a month, stick to my plant diet, and be an awesome father.

Casual Friday
12-26-2015, 01:46 PM
This year my goal was to complete a half marathon. In September I completed two in one week. Not a big deal for some but for a fat guy with asthma it was a challenge but I succeeded. The first was the Disney land half marathon, the second was a local run.

This year my goal is to finish getting fit and healthy.

breakingtime91
12-26-2015, 05:43 PM
I'm making goals rather than resolutions. First is to workout at least three times a week, only buy one gun (would be none but the warren tactical 1911 is still on order), get to the range at least once a month, stick to my plant diet, and be an awesome father.

Very nice. We are moving towards the goal thing also. We have made individual goals (for example, me dropping beer from my diet) and mutual goals like using our treadmill more.

pr1042
12-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Complete at least one of the following everyday

A) Walk/Run
B) Lift weights
C) Live fire
D) Dry fire

RevolverRob
12-27-2015, 10:55 PM
2016 Goals -

Health -

1) Go to the gym 3x/week
2) Cut red meat down to <24 ounces a week
3) No Fast Food/Take-Out
4) Eat out less than twice a week (lunch and dinner)
5) Work on my mental health by working with my therapist

Career goals -

1) Successfully defend my dissertation proposal
2) Submit three manuscripts for publication
3) Submit an NIH Fellowship
4) Submit at least $10,000 in grants-in-aid from non-government NPOs.
5) Fund-raise at least $10,000 for professional society (NPOs).

Relationship Goals

1) Be a better husband
2) Support my wife in pursuit of her educational and professional goals
3) Have four days a month of one-on-one time with my wife

Personal (Hobby) Goals

1) Get my truck daily-driver capable (almost there!)
2) Do at least four restoration/antique flip projects in 2016 (I did two last year)
3) Hit the range at least four times (paying for it with flip projects)

-Rob

Luke
12-27-2015, 11:40 PM
3) Hit the range at least four times (paying for it with flip projects)

-Rob

Hoping this was a typo and you meant four hundred times and not 4 ?

Maybe 4 times a month? Hopefully 4 times a week? Shirley not four times a year??

BWT
12-28-2015, 10:04 PM
My Goals are:

- Spend time more time seeking the Lord and my faith.
- Finish my B.S. with some kind of Latin Honors this year.
- Lose the weight I gained last year while being in college (I've gone from a full-time load to a part-time as I wrap up these last two semesters so that should help); around 25 lbs. I'd like to lose 35 lbs.
- Subscribe to the 7/7/7 philosophy with my wife (Date once a week, day trip or day together once every seven weeks, and a real vacation every 7 months). Last year we did manage to do some time away once every quarter. This year I've got a wedding in June in CO.
- Develop more meaningful friendships with a few people.
- Get involved in giving back to something on a monthly basis; whether that be doing children's church or volunteering for something somewhere. I've found the joy of my life has diminished almost directly at the same rate it's become more self-centered (school kind of necessitated that).
- Form 1 the AR lower I've been meaning to Form 1 for quite some time (I did ask my trust lawyer about 41P today and I need to get the paper forms submitted ASAP but he said there'd be some delay before announcement and enactment).
- Try to reach 10% of a down payment on a home.
- Find an outdoor hobby.

It's going to be an awesome year, and I'm excited for it.

God Bless,

Brandon

Chance
12-28-2015, 10:13 PM
Wrap up my PhD without murdering anyone, and grow a beard.

fixer
12-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Beat JodyH in Mano y Mano Steel match (if there is one) :)

Train with Glocks all year. Leave the Berettas alone.

Lose 40 lbs and keep it off

Pay off remaining student loan debt

JodyH
12-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Beat JodyH in Mano y Mano Steel match (if there is one)
You have two opportunities this year, the match was so much fun we're doing it twice in 2016.
Sunday March 20 @ 1pm
Saturday December 3 @ 10am
:cool:

My 2016 goal:
- Get my latest business venture up, running and making money.

Yup, that's going to be it for 2016.

RevolverRob
12-29-2015, 11:17 PM
Hoping this was a typo and you meant four hundred times and not 4 ?

Maybe 4 times a month? Hopefully 4 times a week? Shirley not four times a year??

Don't call me Shirley.

No, it isn't a typo. In the past 24 months, I have expended a total of 1200 rounds of ammunition in the name of training and shooting. In the past 16 months, I've been to the range twice. I dry-fire four times a week and I have maintained consistent accuracy and speed across my benchmarks - sub-3-second Bill Drill at 10 yards, sub-6 second on FAST with semi-auto, and sub-8 second FAST with a wheel gun. Am I improving? Not really. But at this point my PhD, my wife, and my health in general all take precedence to expending ammo to improve on acceptable benchmarks. Especially given that I pretty much can't carry a gun with me 99.98% of the time. Where I am improving more generally is cardio, heart health, weight loss, strength conditioning, striking, and blade/impact weapon work. Which is where I have been focusing my training most recently.

I know it sort-of runs counter to our mantra of shoot more, shoot better - But the long and short is - I haven't got the time, money, or willpower to focus on doing more shooting. I can be better, because I have been a better shooter. But for my situation (the rarity of carrying a gun for instance) it makes more sense to spend money and time elsewhere. That said, I love shooting, just for the sake of shooting, and want to do it more often.

-Rob

45dotACP
12-30-2015, 11:44 AM
My dream of a solid career and my RN were realized this past year. My current goals:
-Learn a new skill (this I do every year. This year I shall learn a musical instrument)
-Don't buy another gun until I make USPSA A Class
-get back into BJJ
-pay off at least one if not more loans.
-Do something nice for my family.
- Be a better nurse, human, and shooter.
-Vote (get to use that one this year)

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

ranger
12-30-2015, 11:51 AM
2015 was a big year for me with retiring from ARNG after 34 years and big opportunities at civilian employer. 2016 goal is to keep fit when I am not forced to by APFT and being a Leader in front of my Soldiers, spending more time with wife of 33 years now that I am not working most weekends, and shooting more competition.

11B10
01-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Don't call me Shirley.

No, it isn't a typo. In the past 24 months, I have expended a total of 1200 rounds of ammunition in the name of training and shooting. In the past 16 months, I've been to the range twice. I dry-fire four times a week and I have maintained consistent accuracy and speed across my benchmarks - sub-3-second Bill Drill at 10 yards, sub-6 second on FAST with semi-auto, and sub-8 second FAST with a wheel gun. Am I improving? Not really. But at this point my PhD, my wife, and my health in general all take precedence to expending ammo to improve on acceptable benchmarks. Especially given that I pretty much can't carry a gun with me 99.98% of the time. Where I am improving more generally is cardio, heart health, weight loss, strength conditioning, striking, and blade/impact weapon work. Which is where I have been focusing my training most recently.

I know it sort-of runs counter to our mantra of shoot more, shoot better - But the long and short is - I haven't got the time, money, or willpower to focus on doing more shooting. I can be better, because I have been a better shooter. But for my situation (the rarity of carrying a gun for instance) it makes more sense to spend money and time elsewhere. That said, I love shooting, just for the sake of shooting, and want to do it more often.

-Rob

Rob, I don't know how I missed that last sentence of yours - Sir, I FEEL those words! I have stated previously (so, if you've read this before, I apologize) that I shot very freely while I was in the Army, but just stopped when I got out. After almost 40 years, I rediscovered firearms and my love of them - especially the shooting part. I am retiring next year and simply must find a way to shoot more. I have said that I could shoot all day if I could afford it - and I meant it.

Reload8
01-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Looking for a new career and to build some side businesses. Ain't getting any younger!