PDA

View Full Version : Virginia to end reciprocity with 25 states.

5pins
12-22-2015, 10:28 AM
Fortunately for me West Virginia will still have it.

RICHMOND — Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) plans to announce Tuesday that Virginia will no longer recognize concealed carry handgun permits from 25 states that have reciprocity agreements with the commonwealth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-attorney-general-mark-herring-delivers-blow-to-gun-rights-advocates/2015/12/21/d72ce3d0-a821-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html

RoyGBiv
12-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Texas is still on the friend list, but I'd like to request that the word "commonsense" be stricken from the English language.

I now understand the meaning of the term "trigger word".

1slow
12-22-2015, 11:03 AM
The state I grew up in (VA) keeps becoming more of a suburb of DC.

ffhounddog
12-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Now are those other states going to still allow Virginia permits.

Cool Breeze
12-22-2015, 11:23 AM
awful - I wonder how they determine whose states are actually kept and ones that are no longer recognized. They ditch Florida that has a live fire component to getting the permit but keep Utah which has no live fire. I don't know how each state does its background check or what it allows to get a permit but that seems weird to me. This is especially so since VA requires a live fire component.

RoyGBiv
12-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Worth noting that VA is an open carry state. No license needed.
So... what has been prevented by this change?

Pure politics.

5pins
12-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Now are those other states going to still allow Virginia permits.

According to another article I read, VA permits will only be recognized in 6 states. Only one bordering VA.

LittleLebowski
12-22-2015, 11:38 AM
All they are doing is chipping away. Bit by bit.

RoyGBiv
12-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Let me know when it's time to relocate to WY.

I might be ready for that in a few years... or ID.

LSP552
12-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Northern VA is a beautiful place, and I've spent a bit of time there over the years. Unfortunately it's become a suburb of DC instead of the South.

jc000
12-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Are we truly powerless to do anything about this? I'm really unsure of the value of a constitutional republic if executives can simply dictate policy around their pet whims. Who does the AG answer to? The governor? Who does the governor answer to?

GardoneVT
12-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Are we truly powerless to do anything about this? I'm really unsure of the value of a constitutional republic if executives can simply dictate policy around their pet whims. Who does the AG answer to? The governor? Who does the governor answer to?

The money, of course.

A major dilemma with our population-based voting structure is it has an incentives problem. The more people are concentrated in an urban area, the more likely politicians will listen to them over the interests of the rest of the state.

Not just because that's where most of the votes are, but cities tend to also have the most money. Without votes and money, you have no political career.

So the political interests of Joe Rural or even the state constitution takes a backseat to what Metropolis wants. And Metropolis loves them some gun control.

Matt O
12-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Northern VA is a beautiful place, and I've spent a bit of time there over the years. Unfortunately it's become a suburb of DC instead of the South.

The population boom is largely centered around Fairfax and Arlington counties which all lean increasingly left and are, or at least seem to be, mostly inhabited by people who aren't actually from Virginia. Though I guess I'm technically a transplant myself, having been born in DC, but growing up in Vienna/Fairfax.

I hadn't ever previously planned on leaving VA, but the political trends here in recent years are worrying to say the least. It's always particularly sad when a state's politics and culture end up being perverted by out of staters who leave their own home, and then decide to re-mold their new one to be just like the old one, locals be damned.

Dropkick
12-22-2015, 12:11 PM

I'll give you one guess...

Dagga Boy
12-22-2015, 12:13 PM
We are missing the boat on how to address this. The gay marriage thing essentially opened a door to address this. All of the states who's CHL's are no longer recognized should tell Virgina they will not recognize their marriage licenses, drivers licenses, etc.

It pisses me off to no end that Texas has to recognize my brother's gay marriage license from Mass., but Massachusetts does not recognize my Texas CHL. They had to make gay marriage a right not even discussed in the Constitution, yet 2nd Amendment rights are trampled by various states. Who knows maybe places like Texas, Wyoming, etc..can declare certain aspects of gay marriage as "assault gay marriage" or a high capacity gay marriage or better yet, allow the gay marriage but put "common sense restrictions" on it like you can be married, but restrict physical touching of someone of the same sex...because...war on women.

I really wish Gov. Abbott would sue every single state that does not recognize a Texas CHL. Not to change each states laws, but force other States to recognize Texans rights to keep and bear arms.....just like the gay marriage stuff.

GardoneVT
12-22-2015, 12:19 PM
We are missing the boat on how to address this. The gay marriage thing essentially opened a door to address this. All of the states who's CHL's are no longer recognized should tell Virgina they will not recognize their marriage licenses, drivers licenses, etc.

It pisses me off to no end that Texas has to recognize my brother's gay marriage license from Mass., but Massachusetts does not recognize my Texas CHL. They had to make gay marriage a right not even discussed in the Constitution, yet 2nd Amendment rights are trampled by various states. Who knows maybe places like Texas, Wyoming, etc..can declare certain aspects of gay marriage as "assault gay marriage" or a high capacity gay marriage or better yet, allow the gay marriage but put "common sense restrictions" on it like you can be married, but restrict physical touching of someone of the same sex...because...war on women.

I really wish Gov. Abbott would sue every single state that does not recognize a Texas CHL. Not to change each states laws, but force other States to recognize Texans rights to keep and bear arms.....just like the gay marriage stuff.

Ah, but we can guess what the opposition would say to that.

"Sure,the Communist States of America will recognize your CCW permit.But YOUR state has to recognize our 10 round magazine limits and Safe Handgun Roster too! Full faith and credit right?"

RoyGBiv
12-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Ah, but we can guess what the opposition would say to that.

"Sure,the Communist States of America will recognize your CCW permit.But YOUR state has to recognize our 10 round magazine limits and Safe Handgun Roster too! Full faith and credit right?"
No. Not actually.
Recognizing a license should be universal. A restriction on said license should be local.

RoyGBiv
12-22-2015, 12:31 PM
^^^ I understand the sentiment to conflate gay marriage rules and concealed carry. Reality is that both should be universal.
2A is enumerated and if the States want to regulate marriage, 14A applies.

GardoneVT
12-22-2015, 12:40 PM
No. Not actually.
Recognizing a license should be universal. A restriction on said license should be local.

You're factually correct.

The opposition has little use for facts, sadly.

EPF
12-22-2015, 01:26 PM
As a VA resident this freaking enrages me. I fear for the world my kids will have to live in.

jc000
12-22-2015, 01:27 PM
I hadn't ever previously planned on leaving VA, but the political trends here in recent years are worrying to say the least. It's always particularly sad when a state's politics and culture end up being perverted by out of staters who leave their own home, and then decide to re-mold their new one to be just like the old one, locals be damned.

Leave for where? Some other "conservative stronghold" that will slowly fade from red to purple to blue?

I'm truly at a loss as to what to do. Not that this hasn't been the case for some time, but it is truly difficult to wrap my mind around how completely disenfranchised I feel from both my state and federal government. It is depressing and trying but I will do what I can to prevent my state and country from getting any worse.

EPF
12-22-2015, 01:42 PM
Leave for where? Some other "conservative stronghold" that will slowly fade from red to purple to blue?

I'm truly at a loss as to what to do. Not that this hasn't been the case for some time, but it is truly difficult to wrap my mind around how completely disenfranchised I feel from both my state and federal government. It is depressing and trying but I will do what I can to prevent my state and country from getting any worse.

Exactly. We can all run to Idaho and buy some time, but that does not change anything. This country is doomed. An interesting case study for future historians. The first time a civilization (empire?) followed its rise to greatness by immediately turning its back on the values that built it. It's now in vogue to scoff at the white male privileged patriarchy, you know, the one who brought you everything around you. Including the freedom to voice those opinions.

Those people also universally tend to be the weakest among us. They tear down this house at their own peril.

Matt O
12-22-2015, 01:54 PM

Well, that's the question isn't it - stand by and attempt to make a difference (if one can be made) or move to pastures that are, at least for the moment, still green.

Dagga Boy
12-22-2015, 02:14 PM
No. Not actually.

Bingo. Which is why I brought up restricting same sex physical touching for gratification as "assault touching" or "hi capacity touching".

As far as moving....Balkanization of America is inevitable in my mind. Getting folks who want the same world politically and culturally is part if the process. I actually think that watching the United States break up into maybe six regions will happen in my lifetime and I want to be established in the area I fit in.

Chris Rhines
12-22-2015, 02:37 PM
Are we truly powerless to do anything about this? Pretty much.

I'm really unsure of the value of a constitutional republic if executives can simply dictate policy around their pet whims. Now you're getting it.

Who does the AG answer to? No one.

Who does the governor answer to? No one.

In practice, CCW reciprocity is set by the AG's office. If we want to reverse this, we either elect a different AG, or get some legislation passed that removes that authority from the AG's office.

Gray222
12-22-2015, 02:46 PM
Vote.

Thats the issue here and always has been.

Like the laws where you live? Vote for someone who will change them.

Staying home on election day or not voting are only a consideration for those who can dosregard their rights.

Cool Breeze
12-22-2015, 02:56 PM
Vote.

Staying home on election day or not voting are only a consideration for those who can dosregard their rights.

I agree with all of this but I think there is more too it. If you are really upset with the laws or elected officials...you have to participate in contributing to get the person who believes in what you believe in elected. Volunteering for the campaign, talking to your neighbors, passing out flyers, get out the vote efforts in your area, etc. There are a lot of people out there that don't know what is going on or don't care to go out and vote. Its awful.

Community or party involvement on a local level is critical.

Dagga Boy
12-22-2015, 03:02 PM
Vote.

Pretty much, up until the point where you will never get someone with even close to your values due to population changes. At this point, you need to find a population more like you.

Cool Breeze
12-22-2015, 03:04 PM
Pretty much, up until the point where you will never get someone with even close to your values due to population changes. At this point, you need to find a population more like you.

If you are stuck somewhere because of family, job, etc. You have to get involved and realize it could take some time. It is probably an uphill battle.

If you don't, like Nyeti said, its a lot easier to move. I'm thinking that way myself lately. People can only take so much.

YVK
12-22-2015, 03:04 PM
I wonder what reasons they had to keep reciprocity with Texas, Utah and three other states.

5pins
12-22-2015, 03:15 PM
Here is the official announcement form the AG.

http://www.oag.state.va.us/index.php/media-center/news-releases/675-december-22-2015-herring-and-vsp-complete-audit-and-update-of-concealed-handgun-permit-recognition

Gray222
12-22-2015, 03:15 PM
I agree with all of this but I think there is more too it. If you are really upset with the laws or elected officials...you have to participate in contributing to get the person who believes in what you believe in elected. Volunteering for the campaign, talking to your neighbors, passing out flyers, get out the vote efforts in your area, etc. There are a lot of people out there that don't know what is going on or don't care to go out and vote. Its awful.

Community or party involvement on a local level is critical.

I totally agree, except people should understand that if they do not vote for their rights, like voting for their party, theyare voting against it.

How many ccw holders are in VA? Did they all vote? Because if they did this wouldnt be an issue. The number of ccw holders in many states would far exceed those advocating against it.

vaglocker
12-22-2015, 03:52 PM
As a VA resident (who voted) i travel quite frequently to NC, SC and other states on the eastern sea board that we now no longer have agreements with. Probably only a matter of time for these states to decide to no longer recognize my VA permit. Any recommendations as to which non-resident permit I should look at getting that won't leave me unarmed when I travel in these states?

jc000
12-22-2015, 03:56 PM
I don't have a party. When "my" party offers up candidates like John McCain, or in the case of Virginia, kill the conservative gubernatorial candidate's campaign,it's no longer "my" party anymore.

I'm sure I will continue to vote for GOP candidates but I will never vote for ANY candidate because they are the "lesser of two evils". There is no such thing.

I totally agree, except people should understand that if they do not vote for their rights, like voting for their party, theyare voting against it.

How many ccw holders are in VA? Did they all vote? Because if they did this wouldnt be an issue. The number of ccw holders in many states would far exceed those advocating against it.

Gray222
12-22-2015, 04:07 PM
I don't have a party. When "my" party offers up candidates like John McCain, or in the case of Virginia, kill the conservative gubernatorial candidate's campaign,it's no longer "my" party anymore.

I'm sure I will continue to vote for GOP candidates but I will never vote for ANY candidate because they are the "lesser of two evils". There is no such thing.

Without reposting what I posted in another thread on the matter - not voting because you "don't have a party" is tantamount to voting against the rights you want to keep.

You said you vote, so that's good, regardless of your personal considerations on the person - your party is the one that does not want to take your rights away, especially when dealing with 2A.

jh9
12-22-2015, 04:12 PM
Exactly. We can all run to Idaho and buy some time, but that does not change anything. This country is doomed. An interesting case study for future historians. The first time a civilization (empire?) followed its rise to greatness by immediately turning its back on the values that built it. It's now in vogue to scoff at the white male privileged patriarchy, you know, the one who brought you everything around you. Including the freedom to voice those opinions.

Those people also universally tend to be the weakest among us. They tear down this house at their own peril.

Ignoring the White Man's Burden part, you do realize that this time 25 years ago you could only carry in a small fraction of the states you could carry in now. You can also carry in more places (parks, bars, etc) now. And OC (as much as I hate it) is both more legal and more common. The Good Ol' Days were closer to a Bloomberg utopia than the present. Virginia could end up more like New York than Texas...but that doesn't mean the whole country is following the same trend.

Pretty much everybody today-- from gays to gun owners-- has more Real Actual Freedom(tm) than anybody did in the past.

Matt O
12-22-2015, 04:31 PM
Here is the official announcement form the AG.

http://www.oag.state.va.us/index.php/media-center/news-releases/675-december-22-2015-herring-and-vsp-complete-audit-and-update-of-concealed-handgun-permit-recognition

Looks like we lost reciprocity with 6 states right off the bat.

41magfan
12-22-2015, 04:40 PM
This addresses what's going on in VA:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

This is the statute that apparently isn't satisfied by that long list of States no longer in good standing concerning reciprocity:

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/t...n18.2-308.014/

Grey
12-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Sorry if I am behind the 8 ball on this but the "reason" that was presented is that under VA law a bunch of folks with CCW permits wouldn't have been able to obtain them in VA.

Is that correct? Any data behind this? Just curious if there is actually any truth behind this other than fucking with our 2A?

EPF
12-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Ignoring the White Man's Burden part, you do realize that this time 25 years ago you could only carry in a small fraction of the states you could carry in now. You can also carry in more places (parks, bars, etc) now. And OC (as much as I hate it) is both more legal and more common. The Good Ol' Days were closer to a Bloomberg utopia than the present. Virginia could end up more like New York than Texas...but that doesn't mean the whole country is following the same trend.

Pretty much everybody today-- from gays to gun owners-- has more Real Actual Freedom(tm) than anybody did in the past.

There is no doubt that socially we are more free than in the past. But there are also many ways we are less free. Government regulation comes to mind. We could debate whether either of those categories of change were a net positive or not all day and probably never agree. I don't want unregulated baby car seats any more than I want the government telling me who I can marry. Whats not up for debate is that I am less free today than I was yesterday due to this decision. The fact that we made a lot of progress for 2A rights in the recent past does not give me hope for the future.

As for the direction of the country, I'll just say that if you think we are moving in the right direction we will have to disagree. If you could look at the generation attending my children's grade school (one of the "best" public school systems in the country) and see anything other than the disaster it is.........there is nothing I could say to convince you.

Trigger
12-22-2015, 05:15 PM
The Virginia Citizens Defense League VCDL is focused on Richmond, and plans to make their case on 18 Jan to the Governor and our Representatives.

In fact, we did vote in the last election. For Ken Cuccinelli who held a slim lead, whom the RNC did not support. So the DNC supported a third party candidate, fractured the vote, and McAuliffe won by a slim margin. In this case I am unhappy, but I hold the RNC responsible for their back door maneuvering which led to the loss.

trailrunner
12-22-2015, 05:26 PM
This is pretty annoying. When I moved to Fairfax County in 1991, I couldn't get a permit, but if I lived 10 miles south in a different county, I could. That changed in 1995 when the state went to a shall-issue system. Then I was happy and proud to live in Virginia. Since then, the ccw laws have gradually changed for the better. We got rid of the prohibition to carry in *any* place that serves alcohol a while ago. Whenever counties or localities tried to chip away at our freedom, Dillon rule slapped them down. For example, for a while Fairfax County kept trying to ban all guns in teen facilities, which they interpreted to be *all* recreation facilities, which are numerous throughout the county and was really a backdoor attempt to entrap innocent people or ban guns from a large part of the county. BTW, our governor (the carpetbagger Mcualiffe) last month banned all guns in all state buildings by executive order.

Herring won the AG election in 2013 by 165 votes. Hell yes, I voted, and I voted against him. What he is doing now is legal because of the way the law is written. The general assembly is generally pro-gun and I'm sure will introduce some bills next month to correct this situation, but unless they are veto-proof (which is unlikely) they will be DOA on arrival at the governor's desk.

Time for me to get that out of state UT permit.

jc000
12-22-2015, 05:32 PM
In fact, we did vote in the last election. For Ken Cuccinelli who held a slim lead, whom the RNC did not support. So the DNC supported a third party candidate, fractured the vote, and McAuliffe won by a slim margin. In this case I am unhappy, but I hold the RNC responsible for their back door maneuvering which led to the loss.

Exactly. I mentioned this in my above post. Instead of hounding the AG or gov we should be blasting the Virginia RNC office with calls. This issue is the result of THEIR actions and THEY should be held accountable for this mess.

abu fitna
12-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Very unhappy about this. Coordinating travel with spouse to be armed is already hard enough; losing travel rights in some of these key states with loss of reciprocity for resident permit gets harder. May have to add a few more nonresidents to the stack just to get back lost states.

Here is hoping VCDL and VSSA (if VSSA can be bothered to react) will do something about this through the legislature as soon as possible. I'd prefer to see this change before the 1 February deadline, just to throw it back in the carpetbaggers faces.

It has been particularly frightening to see what are clearly paid trolls coming out of various university accounts all over media and blog sites on this, trying to claim this will have no real effect and that it is only "common sense". The talking points are very consistent, and the frequency of commenting is far too fast to be casual. Of course, talking points with no real understanding of how permits work, especially on travel (the only time reciprocity matters, of course). But they claim to "own handguns"... and "respect military service"... so that must make everything okay.

So much for gun control advocates respecting background checks. And somewhere isn't there a prohibition on covert influence campaigns against domestic populations? Merely outsourcing this to an astroturf group no doubt funded by one of the usual gun banning orgs is not enough, since this smacks of coordination with the executive actions dictated by recipients of that blood money.

Hambo
12-22-2015, 06:35 PM
VA still recognizes Utah permits and doesn't say anything about resident/non-resident. So it looks like a Utah permit will work for those who travel in VA.

SeriousStudent
12-22-2015, 08:04 PM
When Colorado Governor Hickenlooper was up to his chicanery regarding magazine bans and other silly laws, I sent letters. Letters to the Governor, and every tourism organization I could find in Colorado. I explained that my family and I had previously spent thousands of dollars on ski vacations and visits to relatives in their state. But I could no longer support such a decision, since they did not trust me with the rights God gave me. I would spend them in Utah instead.

It looks like it's time for a similar set of letters to Virginia. I have to drive through there for work a few times each year. I'll make sure I don't buy a drop of gasoline or spend a penny on food or lodging while passing through. I'll tell them that as well.

Like our President said: " Elections have consequences." Well, so do idiotic decisions by Attorneys General.

So to all you nice folks in North Carolina - please accept my money.

Kyle Reese
12-22-2015, 09:34 PM
All they are doing is chipping away. Bit by bit.

Good thing Ken C wasn't elected in 2013, amirite? I'd like to take this opportunity to chide those who opted to sit out the '13 election. Elections have consequences (lookin' right at you, Sarvis voters).

Kyle Reese
12-22-2015, 09:35 PM
double-tap

BJXDS
12-22-2015, 10:07 PM
The AG was elected in 2013 by a VERY slim margin, but the damage has been done. The VA State police superintendent was appointed by Gov Warner in 2003, so the perfect storm has been brewing for a LOOONG time. I am more upset with the VA State Police Superintendent for going along with this BS!

We all agree the ultimate cause is not enough turned out to vote, and the ultimate goal is total abolishment of firearms ownership by law abiding citizens. We can talk for hours about how this does nothing to address crime, because it Does NOTHING to address crime! This changes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in Virginia, but what it does is prevent Virginian's with a valid permit to be able to protect themselves when they travel to another state.

NOW, what can realistically be done to overturn this? I would hope at the very least the NRA and other Virginia Pro 2A groups would organize petitions and letters to be sent to show our NON support on this issue. I am afraid at this point it is the only option we have.

Good News, I HOPE, at least it is a start. I received this after my original post:

Friend,

Today, Attorney General Mark Herring came out with yet another assault on our 2nd Amendment rights. The Attorney General announced he would be ending the concealed carry reciprocity agreements Virginia holds with 25 other states, putting in jeopardy the right of countless Virginians to legally carry a concealed weapon in these states.

This is just another example of the Democrats' deceitful tactics to take away our gun rights. Time and time again, the Attorney General and Governor McAuliffe, in lock-step with the Obama Administration, have cherry-picked which laws and rights they wish to follow and uphold. We in the General Assembly will continue to hold them accountable.

I wanted to share with you the statement I released to the press in response to the Attorney General's action earlier today:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Senator Reeves Statement on the Attorney General's Concealed Carry Reciprocity Announcement

FREDERICKSBURG, VA — Earlier today, Senator Bryce E. Reeves of the 17th District released the following statement regarding the Attorney General’s announcement on Tuesday, ending Virginia’s concealed carry reciprocity agreements with 25 states:

“The announcement made by Attorney General Herring earlier today is a politically-motivated overstep of his authority and threatens the safety of countless law-abiding Virginians across our great Commonwealth,” Senator Reeves said. “The Attorney General’s decision to effectively end the concealed carry reciprocity agreements with 25 different states certainly puts Virginians’ ability to legally carry a concealed weapon in these states in serious jeopardy.”

Senator Reeves added, “Once again, Attorney General Herring has proven that he is not willing and fit to uphold the laws and constitutions of the Commonwealth of Virginia and of the United States. Instead, he, in lock step with the McAuliffe and Obama Administrations, has cherry-picked which laws and rights he wishes to uphold and defend. This Attorney General has completely politicized his job and his office, no longer working for the people of the Commonwealth of Virginia, but instead the liberal special interests.”

“The concealed carry laws set forth in Virginia save and protect countless lives and uphold Virginians’ 2nd Amendment rights, granted to them by the U.S. Constitution,” Senator Reeves stated. “Today’s announcement is yet another devious way for Democrats to infringe on the Constitutional rights of law-abiding Virginians.

Senator Reeves concluded, “I have begun working with my colleagues in the General Assembly to address this unilateral overreach by the current Administration during our upcoming legislative session. We will work to block this action by the Attorney General and will ensure the rights of law-abiding Virginians across our Commonwealth are preserved.”

###

Let me be clear that I will continue to work hard to ensure that Virginians' constitutional rights, particularly the right to bear arms, are upheld and protected. When I took office four years ago, I swore an oath to defend and protect the Constitution of the United States and and the Constitution of Virginia. This is a responsibility that I do not take lightly.

Sincerely,

Bryce_signature.jpeg

Senator Bryce Reeves

abu fitna
12-22-2015, 10:45 PM
I am afraid at this point it is the only option we have.

Given the likely backroom machinations that drove this outcome between unelected appointees, outside lobbying groups, national political party members, and other entities outside of the Virginia state government; there may be a case made for abuse of deliberate process in the so called "guidance" provided. If nothing else, forced FOIA disclosure would be politically interesting to say the least - especially in close districts around the state where legislators would face additional pressure for failing to take action to halt what is no doubt only the first in a long train of abuses that are underway. And if the kind of coordination that appears to be happening around this can be brought to light, then other remedies may be possible through other lawmaking or legal actions.

I'd hope someone would light the SAF bat signal, but I am afraid they have been called upon so often in so many cases recently that this may not be sufficient. Perhaps some aggressive young practicing lawyers down Fairfax or Richmond way might consider pro bono; or soliciting support.

Unfortunately, there is a raw political calculus here that alone is not promising. The last stat I saw for VA CHP was about 64K.... and while these numbers have been going up quite a bit as a percentage of change; this is nothing compared to the influx of locusts from the dying northern states this year alone; to say nothing of the likely voter fraud in NOVA counties. But one may take heart in that small populations may have wide impact - this is a motivating issue like nothing else, and one can easily assume two to three individuals directly impacted for every CHP holder on the books given dependents, family, etc. And in today's blended families, these votes also count. In contested districts, and close races, while raw numbers may not suggest it such a course of action is still political suicide. But carpetbaggers forget this - or more likely don't care, because they will have gotten theirs and gotten out; leaving the rest of us to hold together what is left of a once proud state.

Paul Blackburn
12-23-2015, 06:28 AM
Seriously are your reasons for carrying for self protection or just a matter of permission from the government?

jc000
12-23-2015, 06:49 AM
Part of the issue is that as hard-working, gainfully employed, law-abiding, part-time to no-time political activists it's simply not feasible for most of us to participate in the grass roots, boots-on-the-ground activism that the left has mastered over the past few decades.

That has got to change.

Understandably I will probably not get many takers on here, but if anyone would care to join me, I'd be willing to make the trip to the AG's office and have them detail where in their "audit" they can quantify (with anecdotes) the public safety risk from these out-of-state CCW permit holders. We can't have these bureaucrats keep believing the most serious repercussions to their chipping away at our freedoms is our collective sigh of disbelief and displeasure while hidden away in our home or office as we read of yet another attack on our liberties.

I'd also like to meet face-to-face with Va GOP representatives to better understand their plan to defeat their self-made problem in McAuliffe.

punkey71
12-23-2015, 08:15 AM
Part of the issue is that as hard-working, gainfully employed, law-abiding, part-time to no-time political activists it's simply not feasible for most of us to participate in the grass roots, boots-on-the-ground activism that the left has mastered over the past few decades.

That has got to change.

Understandably I will probably not get many takers on here, but if anyone would care to join me, I'd be willing to make the trip to the AG's office and have them detail where in their "audit" they can quantify (with anecdotes) the public safety risk from these out-of-state CCW permit holders. We can't have these bureaucrats keep believing the most serious repercussions to their chipping away at our freedoms is our collective sigh of disbelief and displeasure while hidden away in our home or office as we read of yet another attack on our liberties.

I'd also like to meet face-to-face with Va GOP representatives to better understand their plan to defeat their self-made problem in McAuliffe.

Vcdl.org

If you aren't a member, join.

VCDL Lobby Day is next month. You can, literally, ask YOUR representative where they stand.

I'm going. Anyone that wants to carpool or convoy from Fredericksburg speak up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's
12-23-2015, 08:53 AM
Indiana will still honor VA permits. We recognize all put of state permits, regardless if they recognize ours.

Side note, there have been zero issues ever due to this that I'm aware of.

Matt O
12-23-2015, 08:58 AM
Vcdl.org

If you aren't a member, join.

Agreed, they're definitely worth supporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jc000
12-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Hmm I believe I've let my VCDL membership lapse, need to renew.

Punkey, I'd join you at lobby day – adding to my calendar. Curious to your schedule next week. A trip to fburg could be in order especially in light of this spring time weather we're enjoying.

LittleLebowski
12-23-2015, 09:50 AM
If I have this straight, VA just struck a crushing blow against all of the wife beaters and felons who want to carry legally in the state of Virginia. Right?

Paul Blackburn
12-23-2015, 10:10 AM
No don't you get it? All the out of state criminals wont dare enter Virginia. Lives will be saved.

5pins
12-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Where the 25 states that lost reciprocity not supposed to have it in the first place? Or did something change?

Drang
12-23-2015, 01:57 PM
Where the 25 states that lost reciprocity not supposed to have it in the first place? Or did something change?

"They don't meet the same high standards we maintain" is a common excuse for a state to deny reciprocity. Note that all the states that essentially require one to pay a fee and get fingerprinted/a NICS check got ditched by VA. Some of them that require training were retained, many were not. Also, I get the impression that part of the issue may reside in definitions in state aw, i.e., does WA deny a CPL to one who has been convicted of DWI? (Off the top of my head, I have no idea.) If not, then Washingtonians need to find another permit to use in VA!

Totem Polar
12-23-2015, 02:49 PM
your party is the one that does not want to take your rights away, especially when dealing with 2A.
Which party is that, exactly?

As a VA resident (who voted) i travel quite frequently to NC, SC and other states on the eastern sea board that we now no longer have agreements with. Probably only a matter of time for these states to decide to no longer recognize my VA permit. Any recommendations as to which non-resident permit I should look at getting that won't leave me unarmed when I travel in these states?
UT is the classic. ID "enhanced" (ID has a new two-tiered system) covers as many, if not more.

Gray222
12-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Which party is that, exactly?

Whatever you believe you party is, I would not begin to disrespect anyone by assuming their party preference.

Wondering Beard
12-25-2015, 06:07 PM
It seems this was all part of a plan:

http://www.pagunblog.com/2015/12/23/virginia-move-part-of-coordinated-campaign/

Totem Polar
12-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Whatever you believe you party is, I would not begin to disrespect anyone by assuming their party preference.

I agree wholeheartedly about going with the party (candidate) that doesn't want to curtail my rights. Now I just need to find it, and vote the shit out of it.

Jeep
12-26-2015, 02:50 PM
I agree wholeheartedly about going with the party (candidate) that doesn't want to curtail my rights. Now I just need to find it, and vote the shit out of it.

Actually, your choice will be between a group of lazy, corrupt hacks who only want to violate a few of your rights (and then only because some consultant told them that was the path to re-election--they are too busy looking out for themselves to care much about taking away your rights), and a group of ideologically driven, vigorous, corrupt hacks who want to violate pretty much all of them, and kinda hate you to boot. Personally I vote for the "lazy" group--not in the expectation they will make things better (they generally don't)--but in the expectation that the vigorous corrupt hacks, who generally want to "transform" the US into a tamer version of North Korea, will do a lot more damage.

The real question is why do so many voters--particularly including college professors--want to transform the US into a tamer version of North Korea?

SeriousStudent
12-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Because they have never lived there, and lived with their choices.