PDA

View Full Version : Need non scented gun cleaning solvent

Luke
12-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Wife's had enough of the classic smell of hoppes #9. House smells like it and now the washer does too lol is there anything that works as good with no smell that is cheap and lasts a while? A bottle of hops lasts for ever, it seems some of the other don't. Hopefully this is an ok question, if you google it all you get is a bunch of hunters trying to hide from deer. This stuff can be detected by deer just doesn't need to fill the house for hours lol

GardoneVT
12-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Hoppes #9 is gun solvent?

I thought the stuff was a Febreeze replacement. Worked pretty well when used that way. ;)

Kyle Reese
12-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Wife's had enough of the classic smell of hoppes #9. House smells like it and now the washer does too lol is there anything that works as good with no smell that is cheap and lasts a while? A bottle of hops lasts for ever, it seems some of the other don't. Hopefully this is an ok question, if you google it all you get is a bunch of hunters trying to hide from deer. This stuff can be detected by deer just doesn't need to fill the house for hours lol

M-Pro 7 and Slip 2000 both offer non-toxic cleaners and lubricants that won't break the bank and work just fine.

Savage Hands
12-20-2015, 07:02 PM
Weaponshield Solvent is non toxic and not unpleasant to smell IMO

Luke
12-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Hoppes #9 is gun solvent?

I thought the stuff was a Febreeze replacement. Worked pretty well when used that way. ;)

I used to love it, she used to like it. Now I don't really like it and she hates it.

Luke
12-20-2015, 07:12 PM
http://lucasoil.com/products/out-door-line/lucas-extreme-duty-bore-solvent-ultrasonic-gun-cleaner

Grape flavored!

RJ
12-20-2015, 08:59 PM

I opted for a bottle of Slip 2000 EWL this time around (1st: Froglube, 2nd: Fireclean).

It does not have a smell, near as I can tell. Seems to work ok for me as a CLP, but I have pretty light cleaning to do, just a couple pistols from a couple boxes of ammo every month or so.

JAD
12-20-2015, 09:29 PM
Go outside.

And wear nitrile gloves.

Luke
12-20-2015, 09:45 PM
Rich I have the slip2000 ewl, I just use it as lube. I was looking for something to dip a nylon cleaning brush in, scrub the gun/parts, wash off with another solvent and then lube with lube.

Cleaning guns outside sucks in the winter. The smell was not only for in the house but for the washing machine. I clean my guns on a towel that either gets washed in the washing machine when done, or one day just thrown bag into the range bag with no smell.

Colt191145lover
12-20-2015, 09:48 PM
I prefer the M pro7 cleaner over the slip 2000 . Both are non toxic and would work for what you need.

RJ
12-20-2015, 09:55 PM
Rich I have the slip2000 ewl, I just use it as lube. I was looking for something to dip a nylon cleaning brush in, scrub the gun/parts, wash off with another solvent and then lube with lube.

Cleaning guns outside sucks in the winter. The smell was not only for in the house but for the washing machine. I clean my guns on a towel that either gets washed in the washing machine when done, or one day just thrown bag into the range bag with no smell.

I don't scrub so much as daintily rub. My VP9 bruises easily. :cool:

Kidding, I gotcha. Mebbe the M Pro stuff as others suggested?

Luke
12-20-2015, 10:02 PM
I think I'm gonna give the Lucas a try. There extreme lube is the best I've ever used (don't own any but used some a month or so ago and it by far lasted the longest out if any lube I've tried) they had me sold at grape.

OnionsAndDragons
12-21-2015, 02:07 AM
I'm a big fan of the Mpro7 cleaner. I buy one of the big spritzers from Amazon on Prime about 1/year or so. It's not gross, and does a good job for medium duty cleaning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Casual Friday
12-21-2015, 07:05 AM
Another vote for M Pro 7.

Luke
12-21-2015, 07:12 AM
Quite a few votes for mpro 7, guess I'll pick me up some of that too!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Hambo
12-21-2015, 07:39 AM
OK, I'll be the guy who says you don't need a new cleaner, you need a man cave where anything goes.

Luke
12-21-2015, 08:15 AM
OK, I'll be the guy who says you don't need a new cleaner, you need a man cave where anything goes.

This is true. We are in the very early process of getting ready to hopefully buy a house (aka all we've said is let's buy a house) and when we do it will have a man cave with manly cavey things for sure.

RJ
12-21-2015, 09:57 AM
...and when we do it will have a man cave with manly cavey things for sure.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting/2010/08/introducing-hoppes-no-9-air-freshener

You can thank me later. :cool:

MichaelD
12-21-2015, 10:03 AM
This is true. We are in the very early process of getting ready to hopefully buy a house (aka all we've said is let's buy a house) and when we do it will have a man cave with manly cavey things for sure.

Unfinished basements and/or heated worksheds for the win!

ETA: I just bought a place myself, and I made sure there was a room in the basement I could dedicate to firearm-related stuff.

Tamara
12-21-2015, 10:04 AM

I have a Hoppes #9 scented car air freshener. Fact.

LittleLebowski
12-21-2015, 10:07 AM

Go outside with non chlorinated brake cleaner (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OUZCWFC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00OUZCWFC&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20), be done in 3 minutes. No need to scrub.

Luke
12-21-2015, 10:14 AM
Go outside with non chlorinated brake cleaner (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OUZCWFC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00OUZCWFC&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20), be done in 3 minutes. No need to scrub.

Been using brake cleaner for years on guns and cars (I'm a mechanic), I use a solvent and then wash with brake parts cleaner. Here lately I've been using solvent and then washing with hot water and I like that mo better. But yes, I'm pretty sure I have brake parts cleaner in my blood, love that stuff.

orionz06
12-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Vegetable oil works very well.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

zml342
12-21-2015, 05:08 PM
Vegetable oil works very well.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

I've gone paleo and switched to coconut oil!

On a serious note, I too vote for MPro7