PDA

View Full Version : PWS Enhanced Duty Slide

El Cid
12-19-2015, 04:37 PM
I'm looking for any feedback or experiences with the Primary Weapon Systems Enhanced Duty Slide (EDS). I recently purchased a Glock frame with the RTF2 texture. The original plan was to build a match gun using a G34 upper. I have a couple friends who've done this and it makes a great combination.

While researching Glock slides I found a few articles on the EDS and while it's a G17 sight radius I figured I should at least look into it as an option. This gun won't get carried - RTF2 destroys shirts and it wouldn't be agency approved anyway. Despite that I'm still not interested in fancy cut up slides (think ZEV) and I don't want to mess with aftermarket triggers. Im also not looking to use an optic so slides with mounting plates aren't necessary.

Thanks in advance.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/product-category/accessories/glock-eds/

HopetonBrown
12-19-2015, 05:14 PM
I believe this slide wouldn't be legal for Production or SSP because of the forward cocking serrations.

A Taran Tactical Innovations connector/spring kit is $45. Seems cheaper than a $450 slide that you can only shoot ESP.

El Cid
12-19-2015, 09:18 PM
I believe this slide wouldn't be legal for Production or SSP because of the forward cocking serrations.

A Taran Tactical Innovations connector/spring kit is $45. Seems cheaper than a $450 slide that you can only shoot ESP.
I appreciate that but an aftermarket slide bumps me from SSP anyway. And I can't recall the last time I shot an IDPA match. Found them overrun with tactical "experts" who were beyond obnoxious.

I usually shoot local steel matches and I treat them as training - almost always shooting from concealment with a weapon light and Raven holster.

I'll likely just use a 34 upper, but I wanted to do due diligence in my research. It's also a little easier for me to justify the cost because I'm not discarding a perfectly functional OEM slide.

Lon
12-19-2015, 09:38 PM
I don't think the extra cost is worth it. Why not just get a LWD slide for $175 (IIRC) instead?

El Cid
12-19-2015, 10:08 PM
I don't think the extra cost is worth it. Why not just get a LWD slide for $175 (IIRC) instead?

Apples to apples (all internal parts) the LWD is $324.
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=177612

PWS also has a LE/mil discount of I think 10% making their slide just over $400 of my math is right.

voodoo_man
12-19-2015, 10:27 PM
PWS makes awesome stuff.

With that said, I'd highly suggest finding alternatives to buying a new slide.

El Cid
12-19-2015, 10:48 PM
PWS makes awesome stuff.

With that said, I'd highly suggest finding alternatives to buying a new slide.
So buy a used slide? Not sure how I feel about that not knowing what kind of life it led before getting to me.

Chuck Haggard
12-19-2015, 10:49 PM
I guess I'm unclear exactly what this slide is supposed to accomplish.

voodoo_man
12-19-2015, 10:50 PM
So buy a used slide? Not sure how I feel about that not knowing what kind of life it led before getting to me.

It's a glock...so....unless its been set on fire, multiple times using jet fuel (since you know, that's the only thing that can melt solid steel beams or whatever) and then shots repeatedly, I'd buy a used one without hesitation...

El Cid
12-19-2015, 11:04 PM

Maybe nothing. Found it in my searches and PF is usually where I find reliable feedback on all things handgun.

It's a glock...so....unless its been set on fire, multiple times using jet fuel (since you know, that's the only thing that can melt solid steel beams or whatever) and then shots repeatedly, I'd buy a used one without hesitation...

You're probably right. I do like knowing something hasn't been bubba'd though. And nice Rosy O'Lunatic 9/11 reference. Lol!

Chuck Haggard
12-19-2015, 11:16 PM
I can buy a brand new G34 for what that slide costs. Just sayin.

orionz06
12-19-2015, 11:48 PM

I like to buy cool shit and their website tells me nothing other than the price and the coating. I mean I appreciate the lack of lies and marketing buzz but I think they could stand to add just a little fluff.

Chance
12-19-2015, 11:53 PM
If you're concerned about a used pistol's history, why not just swap out the internals? Spare parts are cheap, available everywhere, and trivial to install. And if you're not carrying it, a little screwiness isn't the end of the world.

I'm sort of in the camp of not seeing the point of a $500 upgrade to a $500 pistol.

HopetonBrown
12-20-2015, 12:27 AM
I usually shoot local steel matches and I treat them as training

I'd suggest not viewing your local steel match as training. I'd just buy a used G34 for that $450 and put in a $45 TTI connector/spring kit, a set of quality sights, and call it a day.

45dotACP
12-20-2015, 01:23 AM
For 450 bucks I'd get the G34 slide used, add stuff as necessary...sights, springs and possibly a match grade barrel if necessary.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

HCM
12-20-2015, 02:06 PM

When PWS first announced / released their Glock Slide they were claiming it would improve the trigger pull.

PWS makes good stuff but for $400 I would rather have another blue label Glock.

Willard
12-20-2015, 02:17 PM
PWS makes good stuff but for $400 I would rather have another blue label Glock.

That was my take as well.

El Cid
12-20-2015, 03:34 PM
I'm still leaning strongly toward getting an OEM 34 upper. I just wanted to see what if anything was out there on the EDS. Seemed like a nice aftermarket option without all the nonsense (cuts and engraving) found on the ZEV slides.

A blue label G34 is 480 but that extra $80 gets me the RSA and bbl, as well as a spare frame I suppose. Though I have no use for a Gen 3 frame.

I'd suggest not viewing your local steel match as training.

At the risk of derailing my own thread... why is that? I've found it works great. I get to draw my duty weapon from my duty (and off duty) holster, from concealment. All while under the pressure of a timer, scores, and an audience. And having different size targets at varying distances, spread laterally is something tough to do outside of a class format. Been doing that for close to a decade now and my concealed draw reflects it.

Lon
12-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Though I have no use for a Gen 3 frame.

Sell the frame. Bet you could get $250 outta it over on AR15.com. Then you have less that $250 in a complete top end with night sights (if it's a blue label).

Up1911Fan
12-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Sell the frame. Bet you could get $250 outta it over on AR15.com. Then you have less that $250 in a complete top end with night sights (if it's a blue label).

They usually sell on GB for $175-225. Blue label doesn't mean it comes with night sights. I believe that's a $55 up charge but don't have the price list in front of me.

Lon
12-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Ok. All the blue label guns I've bought have had NS, but it's been a long time since I've bought one. Not sure on the current price list.

Still probably gonna be ahead of the game if he sells the frame and keeps the top end.

Willard
12-20-2015, 06:10 PM
Ok. All the blue label guns I've bought have had NS, but it's been a long time since I've bought one. Not sure on the current price list.

Still probably gonna be ahead of the game if he sells the frame and keeps the top end.

Negative. There is an up charge. At least where I am.

LSP972
12-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Negative. There is an up charge. At least where I am.

Ditto. The local blue label gun purveyor here is quick to offer trits and installation, for a package fee. I've bought a half-dozen, at least, blue label Glocks over the past 6-7 years, and none of them have come with anything but the issue plastic sights.

Lon
12-20-2015, 07:59 PM
Huh. The last blue label I bought was a gen 3 19. It came with NS and I think I paid $430. Been 5 years maybe?

pr1042
12-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Standard blue label price (standard as in Glock 17/22/etc, nothing special like 34 or MOS) in our republic is 398.20 + tax for standard sights, ends up being about 425 out the door. Standard night sights are another 50 or so

Willard
12-20-2015, 09:58 PM
Standard blue label price (standard as in Glock 17/22/etc, nothing special like 34 or MOS) in our republic is 398.20 + tax for standard sights, ends up being about 425 out the door. Standard night sights are another 50 or so

Researched exact pricing here: $419.00 plastic sights or $453.57 with tax. With Trijicon tritiums is $539.00 or $583.47 with tax.

5pins
12-21-2015, 06:55 AM
A co – worker bought a PWS slide and I was less than impressed. The “enhanced trigger pull” was nothing more than a replacement firing pin spring and lightweight firing pin, something easily done on any Glock slide.

I honestly see no advantage to this slide over factory.

You can but a new complete G34 slide, with barrel, on gunbroker right now for under $400.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=532345319

El Cid
12-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Well the 34 upper arrived today (who knew the Postal Service delivered on Christmas Day??). Had an extra HD front laying around from having to buy separate .245" tall fronts for the 19 and 26. Now I need an HD rear...

Extended mag catch, slide stop lever, and minus connector are already on the way, as are a Grip Force Adapter and plug. Hope to be banging steel in a couple weeks at the latest. Glock really should put an RTF2 framed 34 in the regular lineup IMO.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpssr7ji8zv.jpg