PDA

View Full Version : Week 143: 2 in 2 Walkback

Mr_White
12-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Week 143: 2 in 2 Walkback

Results may be posted until January 18th, 2016.

Designed by: Gabe White
Range: Varies
Target: USPSA lower A-zone or IDPA -0 zone
Start position: Holstered (see alternative below)
Rounds fired: Varies

This is a variation of a classic walkback drill.

Begin with the target at 3 yards and the timer set to a 2 second par time. You can start with your hands at sides, hands at surrender, or hands at high torso. At the start signal, draw and fire two shots to the A/-0 zone in under the par time. If successful, increase the distance by two yards and repeat. You get two mulligans for the whole drill. If you miss either shot or go over the par time, try again and that uses up one of your mulligans. At any point in the drill, if you fail but have no mulligans left, the drill is over.

Alternatively, if your range does not allow drawing from the holster, you can start in ready position of your choice and still use the two second par time, but your target zone will be the ~6x6" head box of the USPSA or IDPA target.

If you need to make some minor adjustment to the drill in order to participate, that's fine, just note what you did when you report your results (for example, your range won't let you shoot at 3 yards so you started at 7 yards, or you needed to substitute another target, etc.)

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Start position (hands at sides, opportunity, high torso, or gun in hand at ready position)
Gun, holster, and concealment (optional) used
Target used
Number of mulligans used, and when
Furthest distance where you were successful

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

MVS
12-19-2015, 10:57 AM
OK tried ran this early this morning and it was a bit of a bust. It was 22 degrees with a fairly brisk wind. I decided to dress how I would be if I was caught out in similar weather and needed to draw. Pullover with open front parka and gloves. How much that effected my times I don't know, I will try to run it again when it is a bit warmer and see.

Start position: Fence
Gun: G19/w RMR and G17 w Irons.
Concealment: Closed front pullover and open front parka type coat. Mechanix gloves.
Target: TXT
Mulligan: First up was the G19 mulligan at 7 second run clean and in time. 9 yards clean, failed at 11. G17, both mulligans used up at 9.

Like usual, at 3 and 5 yards I was faster with the iron sighted gun, but the RMR allowed me to get a bit farther away and still make hits. Honestly I expected to get back to around 15 yards with this and am quite disappointed.

Kevin B.
12-20-2015, 01:41 PM
Start position: Hands at sides
Gun: GEN4 G17 in a Comp-tac holster concealed under a fleece vest
Target: USPSA

I have been working sub-2.0 pairs to a 3x5 at 7 yards so I decided to start at 15 yards. Worked in 5-yard increments back to the 25-yard line and 1-yard increments beyond 25 yards. Clean runs at 15 (1.83), 20 (1.89) and 25 yards (1.93; 1.36, .57).

Used both of my Mulligans at 26 yards (2.15 w/ 1D and 1.97 w/ a close C).

Performed as expected. I was happy with the draw at the 25 and to see the correlation between my perfromance on 3x5s at 7 yards and the A-zone at 15 yards.

Luke
12-20-2015, 01:45 PM
P30 V3
JM AIWB concealed with shirt
Hands at sides
First run started at 3 yards
Second run started at 7 yards

Ran this drill twice. The first time I was going really fast as I didn't really know what my times were for this new gun/holster combo. Used up my mulligans at 10 yards by not taking my time missing the second shot twice. Second time I slowed down a little bit and used my mulligans at 20 yards missing 1 shot in each string twice. All the misses were in the C box.

Lowest string was a 1.32 which I was very happy to see, and slowest clean string at distance was 1.93. I feel like after a good long warm up 25 yards would be doable with a fast draw.

MVS
12-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Ran this again today with it being warmer. 45 degrees vs. yesterdays 22. This allowed me to only wear the pullover for concealment. While this helped some, it wasn't a huge difference. I am clearly taking to much time to find the sights/dot. I am very impressed by those of you who can get off two shots in 2 seconds from good distances. It is definitely something for me to work toward. In dry fire I can consistently make 1 second draws, so the problem must be the sighting speed.

G19 w/RMR
Fricke Archangel concealed with thermal pullover
Hands at sides
IPSC target
First overtime was at 11 yards with a 2.23. Next run at that distance was a 1.96. At 13 yards I used my second Mulligan after a 2.01 first run, second run was slower.

After failing at 13 yards I used that point to practice at. After multiple runs I had a best time of 1.74 at that distance.

Clobbersaurus
12-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Beretta 92D Centurion, JMCK AIWB under a knit shirt, hand at sides
Target: IPSC Classic
Got to 7 yards before I used my Mulligans.

3 yards: 1.39, 1.65 pass
5 yards: 1.71, 1.98 pass
7 yards: 1.87, 2.17 fail
7 yards: 1.65, 2.24 (out) fail
http://i.imgur.com/MEsSVDvl.jpg

It was only 2 Deg when I arrived at the range this morning. My Hands were getting cold and I was feeling slow. I had difficulty making the par time at 7 yards, and Mulliganed out at that distance. It's a great drill and I intend on trying it again on future sessions.

Mr_White
12-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Start position: hands at sides
Gen3 G34, concealed under a looong polo shirt in a Keeper
USPSA Metric target
Started at 3 yards. Used first mulligan at 19 yards. Second mulligan at 21 yards. Got to the maximum distance on our range of 25 yards, succeeded x 3, then failed out.

Range1
12-22-2015, 08:09 PM
Start position: Hands at side
Using an M&P 9 Pro Series from concealed CompTac OWB strong side holster, wearing open front jacket
Target used: USPSA metric
Number of mulligans used, and when: ran drill 3times total- 1st run used both mulligans at the 9 yard line; 2nd run used bot at the 7; 3rd run started at the 5 used 1 at the 7 second at the 9.
Furthest distance where you were successful: 7 yards

While I did not make it very far I was happy with the general grouping and that I only went over par a total of 4 times for the entire time. Still a lot to work on but there has been improvement.

DEG
12-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Start position: Hands at sides
Gun, holster, and concealment: Gen4 G19, JMCK IWB3 carried appendix, heavy cover shirt and unzipped winter jacket
Target used: USPSA
Number of mulligans used, and when: First mulligan at 11 yards, second at 13 yards
Furthest distance where you were successful: 11 yards

3 yards, clean, 1.74
5 yards, clean, 1.70
7 yards, clean, 1.88
9 yards, clean, 1.93
11 yards, missed one, 1.81
11 yards, clean, 1.86
13 yards, missed second, 1.93

Cold morning; windy and overcast. Winter has arrived in Kansas.

All shots were within the par time, but I didn't get a good sight picture at every distance. I loaded the first mag with ten rounds, thinking that would be plenty for the drill, but I ended up shooting 14 rounds total. First mulligan went high out of the A zone at 11 yards; the second mulligan went low at 13 yards.

GRV
01-08-2016, 06:10 PM
Excellent drill.

I complained about this one because of what I knew about my draw times (which seem to be bounded below by 2.00s for any reasonable target right now). But, I actually surprised myself, and it made a big difference in the way I shot my Bill Drills afterwards.

Arms straight down, hands on thighs. G17 Gen4. JRC AIWB-CDA II. Concealed under T-shirt. Q-PT target.

3 yards, clean, 1.80

5 yards, -1, 1.83

5 yards, clean, 1.87

7 yards, -1 (in head), 1.82

7 yards, clean, 2.08

I started out just point shooting with a very very rough snap sight picture, because I thought I couldn't be fast enough to make the par time otherwise. I figured it'd be like when I try to make the 1.65 draw time on the old FAMS string #1, which is just way out of my current draw abilities. I shot double taps essentially. I was surprised how close they ended up on the target. I should have recorded the splits. At some point, I think it was after my first attempt at 7 yards, I realized using nearly no sights wasn't going to cut it anymore, so I opted to use just a little bit of sights while trying to still go as fast as possible. I really surprised myself by nearly clearing 7 yards. I think I could have done it with a few more attempts to hone in on the speed/accuracy tradeoff.

Mickey
01-18-2016, 12:05 AM
Start position-hands at side.
Pistol and holster- Sig P320 in the crappy holster that came with it.
Q-PT target.

Started at 3 yards.
Results-
1.72 pass
5 yards
2.08 fail -1
2.34 fail

Well I knew this drill would give me problems back doing the "pistol now"drill I had draw times in the 1.80's
But I was able to get draw times 1.36, 1.60 and 1.62 so I have made improvements in that area.

eyemahm
01-19-2016, 03:15 AM
In under the Alaska time cutoff..

Had many of the same observations as dove in that I started out point shooting with a very limited, back of slide type sight picture in an effort to make the par time and ended up getting pushed in a productive direction that has decreased draw times and first split times, which usually are significantly slower than my 3rd/4th/5th shot splits. By "double tapping" - taking two shots with one sight picture - and finding that the shots tended to be very close to each other if one starts with the proper grip, I've started getting more aggressive on the trigger with the second shot.

Start position - hands at sides
Gear - USP LEM, CCC Shaggy under a t shirt

3 yards, clean, 1.98

5 yards, clean, 2.87
-When too fast is very slow.

5 yards, 2.01, -1 body

Last chance...
5 yards, 1.90, -1 head (anatomically favorable miss)

At the beginning, draws weren't anywhere close to where they needed to be to be successful at this drill at any distance, and by the end, I thought this wasn't quite as far out of my wheelhouse as I'd expected it to be. Draws still need a lot of work to be "pure profit."