PDA

View Full Version : Colonel Blades

NorthernHeat
12-17-2015, 07:13 PM
Anybody have any experience with Colonel Blades and their knives?

I have been seeing them getting more popular recently and seeing Todd post a picture of one included in his recent EDC post on Pistol-Training.com made me want to know more about them.

http://www.colonelblades.com/#crossed-off

voodoo_man
12-17-2015, 07:21 PM
When you absolutely, positively want to break a finger...

Eli
12-17-2015, 09:03 PM
They certainly have excellent customer service. I picked up one of their live blade/trainer packages and the sheath that comes with the live blade (the trainer isn't designed to fit in the sheath, FWIW) was a bit loose. I emailed the company to ask about exchanging the sheath for one that had better retention. They said don't worry about exchanging it, we'll get a new sheath in the mail tomorrow. New sheath arrived a few days later and fit/held perfectly.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/cb.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/cb2.jpg

When you absolutely, positively want to break a finger...

I'll be the first to admit that I know precisely zero when it comes to knife fighting. The caveman-esq "punch bad thing with sharp thing" design of this knife appeals to me.

DI1
12-17-2015, 09:44 PM
Not for everyone, especially those who know how to use a knife well.
For Todd, it works very well due to his mobility issues and no training in edged weapons.
It is extremely simple to use, but could use a slight re-design to make it more user friendly.

SouthNarc
12-17-2015, 10:23 PM
The caveman-esq "punch bad thing with sharp thing" design of this knife appeals to me.

Despite what fetishists may say, there's not really that much more to it than that.

voodoo_man
12-17-2015, 11:42 PM
Despite what fetishists may say, there's not really that much more to it than that.

Yeah, true.

Except people tend to grab the blade, your hand or worse you get the blade stuck between a bone or something and they start rolling around.....with your finger hooked inside it.

I dont know about you, but i need my fingers for stuff.

JodyH
12-17-2015, 11:53 PM
If I'm stabbing someone and all I come out of it with is a broken or even severed finger or two... I'll still call that a fairly good outcome.
I'll take heart in knowing they're probably having a worse day than I am considering the pointy end is stuck inside them somewhere.

SouthNarc
12-17-2015, 11:59 PM
Just so I'm clear I'm not a fan of anything with a ring.

voodoo_man
12-18-2015, 08:04 AM
If I'm stabbing someone and all I come out of it with is a broken or even severed finger or two... I'll still call that a fairly good outcome.
I'll take heart in knowing they're probably having a worse day than I am considering the pointy end is stuck inside them somewhere.

Lesser of two evils, sure, id call that a good day too.

Though I'd suggest planning on not breaking your fingers.

SLG
12-18-2015, 08:09 AM
Just so I'm clear I'm not a fan of anything with a ring.

I thought married chicks were still fair game?

SouthNarc
12-18-2015, 08:16 AM
I thought married chicks were still fair game?

HAHAHAHA!!! Well played! I'll holler at you this afternoon.

Eyesquared
01-20-2016, 08:38 PM
I recently picked up one of these. I don't have nearly as much knife knowledge as many others here so I'll try to keep it objective.

Pros:
-Handle feels quite grippy without being uncomfortable when carried.
-For me (medium size hands) it feels secure while striking.
-Finger hole on the gen 3 ones is enlarged, reducing the risk of breaking a finger or degloving.

Cons:
-Sheath is as big as a boat paddle and has the G-Code clip, which I dislike. Would really prefer a clip with a cloth grabber.
-Sheath retention came really tight, as in it would pull my (skinny fit) pants up an inch before the blade came out. I removed a little material with a needle file and now it's where I like it.
-Bent shape means it conceals worse than a thin, straight blade. This is probably easy to mitigate with a foam wedge or a Eidolon style claw to get that grip tuck effect.
-Edge came reasonably sharp but slightly malformed near the tip. Easy fix but kind of annoying.

Warped Mindless
02-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Got mine a couple weeks ago and have been doing some testing and evaluation with it.

Over the last couple years I have tested several knives including:
The clinch pick (Shivworks)
The Gang Unit (Suarez Int.)
SOCP Dagger (Benchmade)
The Gambit (SOG)
The Instinct (SOG)
Spyderco Reverse (Spyderco)
The Spew (CRKT)

So far I like The Colonel the best. This could be because of my background with boxing training and my personal knife use philosophy.

Over the last two weeks I have carried the knife every day and have used the trainer during one long sparring and testing session. Here are my thoughts:

- Due to the design its very hard for someone to take the knife away from you. I really like this.
- The knife works very well in conjunction with a pistol. I have the knife set up in appendix position so that I can draw it with my off hand. Once the knife is drawn with the off hand and used to create space, the dominate hand can draw the pistol and with the knife still in your off hand you are able to go straight to a correct two handed pistol grip. This is nice because you dont need to drop/resheath/reposition the knife in any way before going into a two handed pistol grip.
- The knife can be drawn with either hand and can be used effectively in a reverse grip position.
- In sparring I was put into a variety of clinches, grabs, holds, positions both standing, against the wall, and on the ground. The knife works very well (for me at least) in all suitations I found myself in.
- I found that the knife allowed for rapid deployment from the sheath.
- Im working on a better clip for the sheath. I found that the clip doesnt get tight enough and allows the knife move around a bit to much on the belt while moving.
- I find that the knife does conceal well.

This knife may not be for everyone but it works very well in conjunction with a pistol and blends seamlessly with my boxing training.

rjohnson4405
02-09-2017, 12:37 PM
The TDI knife and several others accomplish the same idea without having a ring. Amazon link for Tom:

https://www.amazon.com/tdi-knife/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atdi%20knife

Warped Mindless
02-09-2017, 01:36 PM
The TDI knife and several others accomplish the same idea without having a ring. Amazon link for Tom:

https://www.amazon.com/tdi-knife/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atdi%20knife

Not entirely. The ring helps with retention, keeps your finger from sliding down onto the blade, and the biggest advantage is that the ring is a big part of what allows you to transition crom knife to gun without having to do anything with it. Also makes it easy to grab and take hold of things if needed because of the ring.

If, however, someone doesnt mind not having that ability then the TDI is a lower cost alternative.

Crusader8207
02-09-2017, 02:22 PM
Bladerigs makes a great sheath for the Colonel. It sits lower and doesn't move around like the sheath that came with it.

rjohnson4405
02-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Not entirely. The ring helps with retention, keeps your finger from sliding down onto the blade, and the biggest advantage is that the ring is a big part of what allows you to transition crom knife to gun without having to do anything with it. Also makes it easy to grab and take hold of things if needed because of the ring.

If, however, someone doesnt mind not having that ability then the TDI is a lower cost alternative.

Yeah, should've been more clear, the ring has other uses; however, if you just the want concept of caveman punching without the ring, TDI knife or something like it.

Warped Mindless
02-09-2017, 04:11 PM
Yeah, should've been more clear, the ring has other uses; however, if you just the want concept of caveman punching without the ring, TDI knife or something like it.

For sure. If I remember correctly there was a cop a few counties over who actually used a TDI when his gun malfunctioned. A guy in my krav class told us about it. At the current price the TDI is worth buying.

aboveandbeyond
02-16-2017, 09:22 PM
Got mine a couple weeks ago and have been doing some testing and evaluation with it.

SOCP Dagger (Benchmade)
The Gambit (SOG)
The Instinct (SOG)
The Spew (CRKT)

So far I like The Colonel the best. This could be because of my background with boxing training and my personal knife use philosophy.

Over the last two weeks I have carried the knife every day and have used the trainer during one long sparring and testing session. Here are my thoughts:

- Due to the design its very hard for someone to take the knife away from you. I really like this.
- The knife works very well in conjunction with a pistol. I have the knife set up in appendix position so that I can draw it with my off hand. Once the knife is drawn with the off hand and used to create space, the dominate hand can draw the pistol and with the knife still in your off hand you are able to go straight to a correct two handed pistol grip. This is nice because you dont need to drop/resheath/reposition the knife in any way before going into a two handed pistol grip.
- The knife can be drawn with either hand and can be used effectively in a reverse grip position.
- In sparring I was put into a variety of clinches, grabs, holds, positions both standing, against the wall, and on the ground. The knife works very well (for me at least) in all suitations I found myself in.
- Im working on a better clip for the sheath. I found that the clip doesnt get tight enough and allows the knife move around a bit to much on the belt while moving.

This knife may not be for everyone but it works very well in conjunction with a pistol and blends seamlessly with my boxing training.

I am very curious about your solution to the sheath. Like you, I couldn't stand the sheath system that came with it, so I had blade rigs make a sheath for me. It's does a good enough job, still not ideal since one clip doesn't hold it securely enough.

I have thought about attaching a wide inner tube to the sheath and clip on the original sheath that came with the blade.

Biggest issue for me is the blade has a tendency to print a bit like a gun and sheath shifts around a lot in appendix

orionz06
02-16-2017, 11:31 PM
Biggest issue for me is the blade has a tendency to print a bit like a gun and sheath shifts around a lot in appendix

A neoprene section will help keep it from sliding around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eyesquared
02-17-2017, 01:53 AM
A neoprene section will help keep it from sliding around.

Have you been getting any interest for sheaths for this knife? I like mine but the sheath is undoubtedly a weak link. I would consider the bladerigs sheath cause it has the cloth-grabber clip I like, except that the bladerigs sheath has no provision to tuck the grip at all. I might go the foam wedge route with a bladerigs sheath but the only part of the knife that prints is the hard corner at the very bottom of the grip poking out, so I think a claw might help more.

voodoo_man
02-17-2017, 05:14 AM

SOCP Dagger (Benchmade)
The Gambit (SOG)
The Instinct (SOG)
The Spew (CRKT)

Can you expand on the bold

orionz06
02-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Have you been getting any interest for sheaths for this knife? I like mine but the sheath is undoubtedly a weak link. I would consider the bladerigs sheath cause it has the cloth-grabber clip I like, except that the bladerigs sheath has no provision to tuck the grip at all. I might go the foam wedge route with a bladerigs sheath but the only part of the knife that prints is the hard corner at the very bottom of the grip poking out, so I think a claw might help more.

Not a whole lot of interest and considering the intent of the knife not a whole lot of room for me to improve upon things.

The concealment issues are simply because the knife is a small-medium blade with a large footprint, and it's shaped like a gun and not a knife.

Warped Mindless
02-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Can you expand on the bold

Sure thing.

The knife was designed by a guy who has years of boxing training. If you youtube "Colonel Blade" you will see a few videos of the designer talking about how training time is limited so he wanted to design something that would blend with exisiting training without having to learn a whole new skill set. He met with two SF guys he knew and got their input. After meeting with them and going with his own life experiance he decided that a blade that was designed to be held and thrown the same way as you would make a fist and throw a punch to be the best. He also wanted to make it so you could eaisly transition to from the knife back to a gun without having to drop the knife or do anything with it.

I have boxing training and carry a gun so that appealed to me. I could pull the knife and just start boxing with it against my enemy and once enough space is created to get to my gun I could pull it right out without worrying about the knife.

My knife philosphy is to put the pointy end into the enemies face, neck, heart, and lungs and do it as quickly and violently as possible. The knife (for me at least) just works so damn well at that. Ive used the trainer version in quite a few krav classes for testing purposes and it just works out better for me than any other knife.

EDIT: Forget to mention something important. I always have a few rules regarding knives:

1) They have to be easy to deploy under stress. If the handle is to small or the knife carries in a weird way that makes it hard to pull then the knife is useless to me.
2) Its has to be designed so that it can be used in either hand. I have no idea what hand will be free in a defense suitation.
3) The blade has to be big enough to strong enough to cause damage.
4) It to be able to be concealed in the appendix position. I carry my gun at 2 so the knife has to be able to be carried at 11.
5) Has to be designed primarily for stabbing and not cutting. In my research (but im no expert) Ive found that stabbing ends things much more quickly than cutting/slicing.

The knife meets all those requirements for me.

For what its worth, the second best knife I have tested is the SOCP Dagger.

Eyesquared
02-17-2017, 12:09 PM
Not a whole lot of interest and considering the intent of the knife not a whole lot of room for me to improve upon things.

The concealment issues are simply because the knife is a small-medium blade with a large footprint, and it's shaped like a gun and not a knife.

I 100% agree that the knife shape is not ideal for concealment but this stock sheath makes the knife conceal even worse than it should. This knife+sheath combo prints about as much as a larger and heavier pistol which should not happen.

Warped Mindless
02-17-2017, 12:12 PM
I 100% agree that the knife shape is not ideal for concealment but this stock sheath makes the knife conceal even worse than it should. This knife+sheath combo prints about as much as a larger and heavier pistol which should not happen.

How are you guys carrying the knife? I carry mine in appendix at 11 and has no print in a slim fit shirt except a tiny bit from the clip on the belt.

voodoo_man
02-17-2017, 12:24 PM
Sure thing.

The knife was designed by a guy who has years of boxing training. If you youtube "Colonel Blade" you will see a few videos of the designer talking about how training time is limited so he wanted to design something that would blend with exisiting training without having to learn a whole new skill set. He met with two SF guys he knew and got their input. After meeting with them and going with his own life experiance he decided that a blade that was designed to be held and thrown the same way as you would make a fist and throw a punch to be the best. He also wanted to make it so you could eaisly transition to from the knife back to a gun without having to drop the knife or do anything with it.

I have boxing training and carry a gun so that appealed to me. I could pull the knife and just start boxing with it against my enemy and once enough space is created to get to my gun I could pull it right out without worrying about the knife.

My knife philosphy is to put the pointy end into the enemies face, neck, heart, and lungs and do it as quickly and violently as possible. The knife (for me at least) just works so damn well at that. Ive used the trainer version in quite a few krav classes for testing purposes and it just works out better for me than any other knife.

EDIT: Forget to mention something important. I always have a few rules regarding knives:

1) They have to be easy to deploy under stress. If the handle is to small or the knife carries in a weird way that makes it hard to pull then the knife is useless to me.
2) Its has to be designed so that it can be used in either hand. I have no idea what hand will be free in a defense suitation.
3) The blade has to be big enough to strong enough to cause damage.
4) It to be able to be concealed in the appendix position. I carry my gun at 2 so the knife has to be able to be carried at 11.
5) Has to be designed primarily for stabbing and not cutting. In my research (but im no expert) Ive found that stabbing ends things much more quickly than cutting/slicing.

The knife meets all those requirements for me.

For what its worth, the second best knife I have tested is the SOCP Dagger.

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I do not agree, but that is fine. I appreciate your stance on the matter.

Warped Mindless
02-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post this. I do not agree, but that is fine. I appreciate your stance on the matter.

No problem. In the interest of me possibly learning something coould you explain what you disagree with? :)

Eyesquared
02-18-2017, 10:52 AM
How are you guys carrying the knife? I carry mine in appendix at 11 and has no print in a slim fit shirt except a tiny bit from the clip on the belt.

I carry in the same manner. The clip does print slightly on a tighter shirt but the real problem for me is with the corner of the grip poking out to the side. The way the sheath's clip is attached lets it rotate somewhat so as I move the grip tends to "walk" out to the side where that corner pokes out very noticeably.

voodoo_man
02-18-2017, 11:06 AM
No problem. In the interest of me possibly learning something coould you explain what you disagree with? :)

I did not forget I will when I have a chance.

DI1
02-18-2017, 11:25 AM
Try using a different clip, I modified Todd's Colonel sheath with a G-Code clip, it stayed on better. The Bladerigs clip
may work well.
I also re-profiled the edge on his blade allowing it to cut as well as stab.
The Colonel blade doesn't really work for me, but for someone with limited knife skills, it is pretty good.
My biggest issue is with it, is the sharp point at the rear of the handle and the fact that the blade does not point naturally for me in a horizontal stabbing position (the blade points downward) I would have to re-adjust my angle of attack if I wanted to target a specific point.

Mjolnir
02-24-2017, 01:08 PM
I think I'd like to try one of these. My birthday is next week so I think I'll try it. I'm no knife fighter but I'll report back what my simple findings/feelings are.

echo5charlie
02-26-2017, 10:10 PM
Quick phone reply - I will expand if asked.

I wanted another option for self defense that was better than your average pocket clip folder. For the past 6 years I have been carrying a ZT350ST almost everyday. Great knife, but it honestly gets used like most other EDC knives in the USA: to open packages. In the past 2 years I have taken a much greater interest in everyday preparedness (EDP if you will) and wanted an edged solution for a situation that is, honestly, unlikely to arise. So, the ZT is great but it is big and slow to deploy in an oh shit situation. This began my search that resulted in my purchase of a Colonel Blades.

A schooled knife fighter I am not. I bought the advertisement. Upon receiving the knife I felt my choice was well made. I also found my experience with the sheath to be similar to others - it isn't perfect but it does work. I'd love to see a more stable platform, akin to a solid AIWB holster.

As far as use in real life, well I'm still working that out. My current carry method for my pistol is AIWB as well as for my reload. My body type and type of carry make the Colonel Blades a bit of a PITA to use AIWB with the OEM sheath. It is currently carried at 3 o'clock.

I had a last minute business trip to SHOT this year and (talk about lack of preparedness) with no reciprocity I found myself without a legal means to carry my pistol, Colonel Blades was with me though. At least I had that!

So my final thoughts:

Again, I am not a knife fighter and it is unlikely that I will be one anytime soon. The handling is superb and meets the advertised claims by the manufacturer. The sheath kinda sucks, but does work. Given the possibility of broken, degloved, or severed finger(s) coupled with my knife fighting training - if that's all I walk away with in damage I'll take it. If I get to the point that I'm using Colonel Blades then shit is seriously screwed up.

Super J
03-30-2017, 11:45 PM
I bought a colonel blade to compliment my aiwb pistol (11am) and aiwb spare mag (1am). Far too much stuff going on up front for me to put the colonel up front as well. I have tried carrying it at 3pm, but the grip curve causes it to print more than I would like under my shirt. I am still happy with my purchase...but I do need to figure out how to carry it comfortably in a good spot where it will be accessible and not print as much.

matt7184
03-31-2017, 09:31 AM
Same situation here as well. Ive been trying to run my Colonel low vis at 3 or 9 but eventually it digs in and is uncomfortable IWB.

Wondering Beard
03-31-2017, 11:26 AM
I bought a colonel blade to compliment my aiwb pistol (11am) and aiwb spare mag (1am). Far too much stuff going on up front for me to put the colonel up front as well. I have tried carrying it at 3pm, but the grip curve causes it to print more than I would like under my shirt. I am still happy with my purchase...but I do need to figure out how to carry it comfortably in a good spot where it will be accessible and not print as much.

Maybe move your spare mag to around 3 o'clock?

While I haven't tried the Colonel blade (I like the more classical fixed blades due to more all around utility for me), for a time, I wore a fixed Karambit at about 10;30/11:00 or so with the butt pointing left (my pistol goes AIWB at about 12:30/1:30 and mag pouch at about 3:00). It allowed for a good forward grip draw with the left hand and access (reverse grip) for the right hand, and it was concealable in a similar manner to a slim handgun.

Mjolnir
07-28-2017, 05:42 PM
I have been wearing the knife and I quickly purchased a sheath from Bladerigs.

I like the sheath and knife.

It does tend to print so I place it 1:00 or 11:00 - depending if I am carrying.

It's brutishly simple and would likely work well on a non-trained individual. There is much more to knife fighting than I realize and I realize there is a lot of potential with such a small but stout blade.

It was a good purchase.

LangdonTactical
02-21-2018, 05:35 PM
Did this thread just die? Looks like nothing else was posted after July of 17?

DI1
02-21-2018, 05:39 PM
The Shivworks push dagger is now available and is a much better alternative to the Colonel.

TCB
02-22-2018, 12:07 AM
The Shivworks push dagger is now available and is a much better alternative to the Colonel.

Not for everyone...

NorthernHeat
02-22-2018, 01:56 AM
Did this thread just die? Looks like nothing else was posted after July of 17?

Yea, I think it just faded away.

Ballistic_RT
02-22-2018, 03:36 AM
Had one. Honestly never could carry it concealed for shit. Always managed to print the sharp point of the handle. I had the low viz version. Traded it for a clinch pick. Plan to pick up one of the new push daggers from shivworks. I feel like that may be the best common ground.

orionz06
02-22-2018, 07:48 AM
Not for everyone...

What does the Colonel do better?

LangdonTactical
02-22-2018, 11:29 AM

So I am not a blade guy really. I have done some training on knife fighting, but very little. I have been carrying a knife of some type every day since I was a boy. I have yet to find the perfect knife, I have hundreds of them, and most of them never see the light of day. Like a lot of things, I am always looking for better ways to do things. That said, I don't have the time right now to dive into blade training and I like the idea and concept of the Colonel Blade.

So, can you explain why the push dagger is a "much better alternative"? What makes the Colonel bad or inferior to the Shivworks push dagger?

Also, many states specifically have laws that make a "push dagger" a problem. Is the "pejorative we" just choosing to ignore that?

TCB
02-22-2018, 12:32 PM
I’ve been carrying a Colonel on duty for a few months now, I have no experience with push daggers so take this for what it’s worth. I wear it support side on my duty belt as a tool to respond to a gun grab, or if it goes to the ground and I’m pinned on my gun side. The finger hole was a bit of a concern when I ordered it but once I saw how large it is and how you actually hold it it became a non issue and I have no consern about my finger being degloved in a fight. The only part you could grab to try to take it away is blade and I don’t think that would work out well for them. The way the blade aligns to the wrist allows for no thought during a deployment, grap...punch. I think the way the grip is designed with the finger hole makes it almost impossible for the knife to roll laterally during a strike (this would be my only consern with the push blade). I’ve done full force strikes into plywood walls with it and...it works as advertised. As for consealing one over the other? No idea, my Colonel is worn overtly (not really) tucked behind my magazine pouches on my batbelt, it’s not very noticeable and someone eyeballing it would be a good indicator of pre-assault behavior in my book. I’m also not a knife guy and there is pretty much no learning curve to this thing...grab, punch.

orionz06
02-22-2018, 12:55 PM
As for consealing one over the other? No idea, my Colonel is worn overtly (not really) tucked behind my magazine pouches on my batbelt, it’s not very noticeable and someone eyeballing it would be a good indicator of pre-assault behavior in my book.

I think this is a key distinction. I know people who can conceal a G19 more easily than the Colonel in their typical clothing.

NorthernHeat
02-22-2018, 02:32 PM
I am seeing now that they offer a lower priced option to their Colonel named the "NCO".

https://colonelblades.com/colonel-vs-nco/

DI1
02-22-2018, 02:57 PM
So I am not a blade guy really. I have done some training on knife fighting, but very little. I have been carrying a knife of some type every day since I was a boy. I have yet to find the perfect knife, I have hundreds of them, and most of them never see the light of day. Like a lot of things, I am always looking for better ways to do things. That said, I don't have the time right now to dive into blade training and I like the idea and concept of the Colonel Blade.

So, can you explain why the push dagger is a "much better alternative"? What makes the Colonel bad or inferior to the Shivworks push dagger?

Also, many states specifically have laws that make a "push dagger" a problem. Is the "pejorative we" just choosing to ignore that?

Hi Ernest,
The Shivworks blade conceals better than the Colonel even with the stock Chinese sheath. Much better with the Dark Star Gear sheath. The Colonel is still a “push dagger “ and I could see some district attorney charging someone with either of those blades. If it is specifically prohibited to own/carry in your jurisdiction, then I would carry a fixed blade of your choice in a bladerigs sheath. We have had numerous discussions on this forum as to which blade is best. The answer is “it depends “. What works best for me, may not work for someone else due to hand size, skill set, cost, etc...
My favorite knife is currently the Dynamis/Winkler full size blade. It does everything well for ME.
The Shivworks push dagger is a good compromise of concealment, ease of use with minimal training and excellent ergonomics. The Shivworks push dagger aligns with my wrist better than the Colonel and allows me to strike where I want without having to adjust my attack. The Shivworks push dagger handle fits MY hand very well and is extremely secure. The Colonel blade makes me cant my wrist to strike and I don’t like the ergonomics or the hole in the blade.

Please let me know if this answers your questions. Feel free to pm me if you wish to discuss offline.

TCB
02-22-2018, 03:00 PM
I’ve thought about picking up a NCO for off duty carry to experiment with. If the point on the grip is the problem for consealment they’re cheap enough that a grinding wheel would take care of that nicely without too much pain in the pocketbook. From carrying mine at my 10:30 if the sheath was angled slightly (tip pointed toward tour 12 O’clock) it seems like the grip would disappear as it would be almost parallel with the belt line?

HopetonBrown
02-22-2018, 05:27 PM
I don't know jack about knife fighting, but the Colonel Blade looks strong or support hand draw specific, whereas the Clinch Pick and push dagger can be drawn by either hand.

That Guy
02-23-2018, 07:35 PM
This is just a thought that popped into my mind while reading your post. Nothing more than that.

So I am not a blade guy really. I have done some training on knife fighting, but very little. I have been carrying a knife of some type every day since I was a boy. I have yet to find the perfect knife, I have hundreds of them, and most of them never see the light of day. Like a lot of things, I am always looking for better ways to do things. That said, I don't have the time right now to dive into blade training

I feel the reverse edge method taught by people like Craig Douglas is both pretty simple (hey, if I can learn to use it...) and quick to learn, as well as also fairly universal - ie. not reliant on a special type of blade (that may or may not be legal, difficult ot acquire a new one in case of breakage or loss, etc.). Perhaps instead of looking for the absolutely perfect knife, a simple, effective and fairly universal method of use might be worth looking into..? I realise you said you don't have time for blade training, but don't you have to do some training anyway in order to be able to utilize that perfect knife?

Anyway, like I said, just a thought.

orionz06
02-24-2018, 11:41 AM
This is just a thought that popped into my mind while reading your post. Nothing more than that.

I feel the reverse edge method taught by people like Craig Douglas is both pretty simple (hey, if I can learn to use it...) and quick to learn, as well as also fairly universal - ie. not reliant on a special type of blade (that may or may not be legal, difficult ot acquire a new one in case of breakage or loss, etc.). Perhaps instead of looking for the absolutely perfect knife, a simple, effective and fairly universal method of use might be worth looking into..? I realise you said you don't have time for blade training, but don't you have to do some training anyway in order to be able to utilize that perfect knife?

It's primarily a point driven method that's taught with a peek at reverse edge beyond that. Point driven supports a wider variety of tools.

LangdonTactical
02-24-2018, 12:01 PM

Good point and well received. I will look into that.

joker581
02-25-2018, 06:56 AM
I’ve thought about picking up a NCO for off duty carry to experiment with. If the point on the grip is the problem for consealment they’re cheap enough that a grinding wheel would take care of that nicely without too much pain in the pocketbook. From carrying mine at my 10:30 if the sheath was angled slightly (tip pointed toward tour 12 O’clock) it seems like the grip would disappear as it would be almost parallel with the belt line?

I’ve got mine in a Bladerigs sheath and carry it oriented in the way you described. It still sticks out, though I think a wedge might help a little with that.

Crusader8207
02-25-2018, 02:07 PM
@ Langdon Tactical. I will bring both the Colonel Blade and the Push Daggers to TacCon. You can see the difference.

Mike

Cecil Burch
02-26-2018, 11:48 AM
I don't know jack about knife fighting, but the Colonel Blade looks strong or support hand draw specific, whereas the Clinch Pick and push dagger can be drawn by either hand.

The CP can certainly be set up to be drawn with either hand. I don't think the PD can be. Because of the handle orientation, it needs to be optimized for a specific draw. If you have it for string side access, any way to grab it with the left hand is going to be a similar path as if you were grabbing a strong side pistol with your off hand. It can be done, but it is never going to be ideal.

Cecil Burch
02-26-2018, 11:49 AM
Good point and well received. I will look into that.

Dude, give me four hours and you will have about as workable and functional knife method as you will ever need for 98% of any plausible scenario. Hell, give me two, and we will take care of 80%.

LangdonTactical
02-27-2018, 08:21 AM
Dude, give me four hours and you will have about as workable and functional knife method as you will ever need for 98% of any plausible scenario. Hell, give me two, and we will take care of 80%.

Oh, that is going to happen. Sounds like a half day of shooting and a half day of stabbing :)

Cecil Burch
02-27-2018, 10:45 AM
Oh, that is going to happen. Sounds like a half day of shooting and a half day of stabbing :)

Perfect!

LangdonTactical
03-15-2018, 01:18 PM

Time very well spent and I am sold on the Clinch Pick. Perfect for my needs and very concealable for sure. Thanks for the time, training and the loaner CP.

Now I have to go buy my own :(

MSparks909
04-30-2018, 01:28 PM
Hung out with some of the guys from Northern Red last weekend and ended up ordering a NCO LowVz after seeing a couple of their demos and some combatives work with various Colonel Blades. It came in today and I’ve been wearing it around the house some. Installing a heavy bag in my garage soon and will be putting in some time on it with the trainer. I set up the holster to carry support side AIWB as there’s no room to run it strong side AIWB with my EDC gun.

MDFA
10-06-2018, 08:31 AM
Hung out with some of the guys from Northern Red last weekend and ended up ordering a NCO LowVz after seeing a couple of their demos and some combatives work with various Colonel Blades. It came in today and I’ve been wearing it around the house some. Installing a heavy bag in my garage soon and will be putting in some time on it with the trainer. I set up the holster to carry support side AIWB as there’s no room to run it strong side AIWB with my EDC gun.

Received mine yesterday. I'm wearing mine AIWB support side as well both on and off duty. I like the fact that on duty I can conceal it behind my magazine pouch for a low profile carry.

PNWTO
01-15-2019, 04:49 PM
Bumping this thread to say that I was impressed with the Colonel Blade(s) I just played with.

One of the frequent LE guys at BJJ brought some friends to train and afterwards during our open mat time they brought out the Colonels they have been carrying. We rolled a little bit, did some stand up, and worked the bags and I really liked it and the concept. Will definitely be ordering a blade in the future.

STI
01-15-2019, 05:01 PM
This thing is awesome. Folding, single edged and under 3", which I'm pretty sure makes it left coast liberal city/county legal.

It has very fast and smooth flipper deployment on bronze washers, and opposed liner locks that make it nearly impossible to close unintentionally (hard to describe). When you deploy it, your hand makes an instinctive roll and it comes into a punching grip.

So far it's the best legal option I can find for a weak hand Get Off Me tool since all of the daggers, picks and such discussed on this forum are illegal where I live, as are saps.

Grey
01-15-2019, 05:17 PM
I'd have to see one in person but the idea of a folding version is a head scratcher to me, not that I have any training or professional credentials to say one way or another but it just seems weird that you'd have a folding version of a defensive knife. If it had a "wave" feature like an Emerson I might understand... anyone with real cred have thoughts on this?

Wondering Beard
01-15-2019, 05:28 PM
I'm not anyone with real"cred" (not entirely sure what that means actually), but I do have some experience. But even that experience is not required. Having a folding version of a fixed blade may make the carry of that blade legal where the fixed one might not be, a folder has a smaller footprint than a fixed blade and doesn't require a sheath for carry which can make things easier when wearing fewer/lighter clothing or being in an NPC environment, a folder is generally less threatening, when deployed for whatever reason, than a fixed blade and thus won't "frighten the horses". Just off the top of my head.

The Colonel blades aren't for me, but I can certainly understand the desire for a folding version of a fixed blade one likes, or vice versa.

A"wave" like feature on all folders is nice :-)

PNWTO
01-15-2019, 05:32 PM
This thing is awesome. Folding, single edged and under 3", which I'm pretty sure makes it left coast liberal city/county legal.

Good to hear, I assume your drawing to a forward grip? Is the draw akin to about 11:30 in this video?

https://youtu.be/Q4YpKdbPlsU?t=688

I'd have to see one in person but the idea of a folding version is a head scratcher to me, not that I have any training or professional credentials to say one way or another but it just seems weird that you'd have a folding version of a defensive knife. If it had a "wave" feature like an Emerson I might understand... anyone with real cred have thoughts on this?

I think it a hurdle to the legal situation that a lot of people live in. Folders have their hindrances in a defensive setting but sometimes that is ruleset a citizen has to play by.

STI
01-15-2019, 05:46 PM
Good to hear, I assume your drawing to a forward grip? Is the draw akin to about 11:30 in this video?

Exactly, and within a couple sessions it's pretty easy to get it well under a second. The blade opens with a THWACK that's solid and not quiet, so it's not sneaky - not sure if that's bad or good. The scales are machined G10 which is very aggressive in a good way, significantly more than the Fox karambit I have with the same scales just a different machined finish.

I have been experimenting with Seattle/King County legal Get Off Me tools for years. The last one I tried was a wave opening spine lock Fox 599XT karambit. (The Colonel is also made by Fox.) The issue with the Fox karambit deployment is as follows: there is a spine lock model with a lot of friction but positive lockup, and a liner lock model that's fast but has anecdotally been able to close on the user's hand in use (YouTube has it). The deployment of the spine lock is slow and not reliable with the wave because the friction is so high. I've disassembled and greased it - the issue is the strength of the springs actuating the spine lock, you'd have to machine them thinner. The friction is also high enough that thumb opening the Spyderco-ish blade hole is hard even with young man hands.

My setup is to carry 9 o clock and use it weak hand only, creating space and/or time to get to strong hand AIWB. After doing mock deployment testing with the karambit in different positions I might get forced into on the ground, I'm just not convinced that wave deployment can be positively counted on when it may matter most. Regardless of stiff or smooth action, the pocket fabric orientation relative to the knife changes the likelihood of wave deployment. I want something I can open and grip one hand, either hand, without looking, even in compressed and strange positions. Despite the concerns brought up on this forum of skin degloving due to the finger ring, I think this Colonel folder is a significantly better tool for all that.

The spine lock 599XT karambit is not quick or reliable to open in any method from my experience, and I haven't been interested in buying the liner lock that may close on my hand. The wave shape does make a good bottle opener though.

PNWTO
01-15-2019, 06:27 PM
I have been experimenting with Seattle/King County legal Get Off Me tools for years.

I would appreciate your thoughts as your time with the folder goes on as both work and play have me around the Sound more frequently and it would be nice to have a folder to match my 509 carry.

FWIW I do have a Pkal and trainer I'd happily send you to play with and try out.

BillSWPA
01-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Re: folder v. fixed blade:

I can legally carry a conventional fixed blade in most of my state. I can also legally carry a gun, and that plus everything else I carry takes priority over knife placement.

In most of the places I am likely to go where I cannot legally carry a gun, a fixed blade is very problematic legally at best, if not outright illegal. So, even though I have a few nice fixed blades, my knife focus is on folders.

echo5charlie
01-16-2019, 06:17 PM
Re: folder v. fixed blade:

I can legally carry a conventional fixed blade in most of my state. I can also legally carry a gun, and that plus everything else I carry takes priority over knife placement.

In most of the places I am likely to go where I cannot legally carry a gun, a fixed blade is very problematic legally at best, if not outright illegal. So, even though I have a few nice fixed blades, my knife focus is on folders.

PA is a fickle state when it comes to knives. I am in the conundrum that any fixed blade knife that I find suitable for self defense would ostensibly run afoul of the PA definition of "weapon".

BillSWPA
01-16-2019, 08:17 PM
PA is a fickle state when it comes to knives. I am in the conundrum that any fixed blade knife that I find suitable for self defense would ostensibly run afoul of the PA definition of "weapon".

The courts have been pretty clear that what is banned is 1) switchblades, and 2) anything capable of causing death or serious injury and having no common lawful purpose (the catch-all clause at the end of the definition). A standard single edged fixed blade of reasonable length has common lawful purposes.

One case I read found that a folding knife that could be locked with the handle either parallel or perpendicular to the blade fell under the catch-all clause, and was therefore illegal. It would follow that a push dagger is illegal as well under the catch-all clause.

Assisted opening knives have resulted in one guilty plea and one fast aquittal. Taking the statute very literally, the blade is exposed manually before the spring takes over, but it is still an area of uncertainty.

Double edge knives are not specifically banned by the wording of the statute as interpreted by the courts, but are a subject of frequent misunderstanding. An arrest could petit by a police officer with a mistaken understanding of the law.

There is no pre-emption of local ordinances banning knives. Philadelphia bans carrying any knife not needed for one’s employment at the time it is being carried. At least one other city has strict laws.

The statute does have enough wiggle room so that predicting a result cannot be done with 100% certainty, so erring on the side of caution is wise.

js475
03-11-2019, 02:12 PM
Does anyone know what happened to Colonel Blades? Their website no longer lists any products, and all their social media pages appear to be deleted. I was considering getting one just to play with, but I can't find them anymore. Did the company go out of business?

Wondering Beard
03-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Does anyone know what happened to Colonel Blades? Their website no longer lists any products, and all their social media pages appear to be deleted. I was considering getting one just to play with, but I can't find them anymore. Did the company go out of business?

I have no idea about the manufacturer, but BCM has a few variants, though only one seems to be in stock: https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/edged-weapons-knives-s/223.htm

PNWTO
03-11-2019, 04:15 PM
I hope they are still a thing and just re-branding or sold out... seems fishy but I really wanted one.

Warped Mindless
03-11-2019, 04:42 PM
I hope they are still a thing and just re-branding or sold out... seems fishy but I really wanted one.

They are temporarily down due to some personal stuff with the owner. At least, thats the response I was given when I asked.

PNWTO
03-11-2019, 06:32 PM
They are temporarily down due to some personal stuff with the owner. At least, thats the response I was given when I asked.

Just got a message back from someone privy to the Savitti family that said the company is “restructuring” but will return in the future.