PDA

View Full Version : On the Development of a Proactive Mindset

Chance
12-17-2015, 12:34 PM
This might be a stupid line of questions, so pardon me if that’s the case. But I’m curious to hear how people here have worked to develop a proactive mindset.

I have solid situational awareness (so far as I’m… aware), but I presently lack the tendency to proactively formulate solutions to potential problems. “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet” as the mantra goes, is basically the mindset people geared towards self-defense are encouraged to develop.

My issue is that nothing in my day-to-day really encourages me to do this. Cops and warfighters have real, immediate cause to formulate these contingency plans in their head, and it’s easy to see how that assessment and planning becomes second nature. How are civilians, who are only confronted with the possibility of real violence a handful of times in their lives, supposed to do this?

Is this a simple matter of having the discipline to form the habit, or are there strategies you can use to teach people?

rekkr870
12-17-2015, 12:59 PM
At first it seems almost silly to some people to live with the mindset that you are talking about. I believe the awareness and mindset can be a learned attribute. Jeff Cooper talks about this in book "Principles of Personal Defense." If you haven't read this book, I highly suggest that you do. Its highly informative and a short read. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Chance
12-17-2015, 01:28 PM
At first it seems almost silly to some people to live with the mindset that you are talking about.

I will agree that it's completely unnecessary in an overwhelming majority of cases. However, if all the technique requires is a sidelong glance, and a few seconds of focus, I don't see why not.

JMS
12-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Consider not looking at it strictly form the standpoint of potential violence. Whether you know it or not at the moment, you "wargame" as you drive a car. In America, as we turn off onto or across another road, we know that the most likely avenue of approach in terms of getting creamed is from the left, because it's closer; so, we look left/right/left unless there's a reason not to...we learned that kind of proactivity, and most of us are likely experienced enough drivers that it's faded into being a subconscious thing that flares into conscious action once we see/hear/sense something we don't like or is otherwise out of place.

Expand on that. Use situations you are already frequently in, make an effort to notice *more* stuff about those, build that into doing it on a more constant basis.

When you get out of your car, stop to do scan of your immediate surroundings. Like at work (or however you GET to work; whatever it is, take a moment getting on or off the subway/bus/taxi/slug-lane). Over time make mental notes of the people, the places, the things they do, and the times they do them; familiar enough and frequent enough situation...but one to which you may be hypnotized into otherwise disregarding a LOT of info due to "familiarity breeding contempt," as the saying goes.

Fold in asking "what if...?" Such as, when you see somebody just start to traipse across a parking lot, head buried in their phone, without looking. Forget human violence, *what if* they get dished by an equally inattentive driver? What can you do? What will you do? What are your tools if you decide to do some particular thing? How will you get help?

Could be done at your kid's two-practices-per-week-plus-a-match hockey outings.

Grocery store, or other common/frequent shopping venue.

Pick something you already do, and start practicing specifics within that idiom.

It's relatively simple, but that's not the same thing as saying "easy."

Totem Polar
12-17-2015, 02:37 PM
Anyone reading this thread is descended from a long line (millennia) of survivors. Throw some minimal kit in the EDC bag/backpack/briefcase and keep your head on a swivel and your curiosity about life in general switched on; let Darwin work for you. Simple, really.

It's great fun to read Coopers "principles" or "left of bang", but that's just stuff that helps flip the switch. The switch is OEM equipment, IMHO.

Chance
12-17-2015, 02:57 PM
Throw some minimal kit in the EDC bag/backpack/briefcase and keep your head on a swivel and your curiosity about life in general switched on; let Darwin work for you.

That's what I do now, but also how I would define "reactive". I'm trying to use that as a baseline, and at least develop a mental picture of what the "next step" would be, provided the next step was ever necessary. "Wargaming" as JMS called it.

Gabe's thread on confidence (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18378-Confidence) kind of dovetails into this. Like Tom said, "Confidence prevents panic", and my goal is to not be caught flat footed, having just noticed something is wrong, and thinking, "Oh shit, what do I do now?"

David S.
12-17-2015, 03:03 PM
Have you attended an ECQC class or similar?

BaiHu
12-17-2015, 03:17 PM
That's what I do now, but also how I would define "reactive". I'm trying to use that as a baseline, and at least develop a mental picture of what the "next step" would be, provided the next step was ever necessary. "Wargaming" as JMS called it.

Gabe's thread on confidence (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18378-Confidence) kind of dovetails into this. Like Tom said, "Confidence prevents panic", and my goal is to not be caught flat footed, having just noticed something is wrong, and thinking, "Oh shit, what do I do now?"

I like what everyone's said. Living in a no-carry state and in middle/upper class suburbia, I find myself wargaming a lot. As JMS said, driving a car is probably the best wargaming opportunity we have. That mindset should/can carry over to anything.

Simple example: When I drive, I drive relatively fast, but I always give myself two outs plus a 3rd that is usually not 'legal'. Meaning, I should be able to hit the breaks and get into another lane; hit the gas and get into another lane; hit gas/brake and go onto a shoulder/grass median.

That 'template' can be used while walking on a crowded sidewalk, in the mall, grocery store, etc. I even practice with my shopping cart in a similar vein. If/when I have kids, I think it's a great 'what if' scenario to get them thinking about the world around them and out of the digital world.

Lastly, I think Sidheshooter is right on, but unfortunately, I think society has been working on undoing a lot of our OEM equipment :( and replacing it with GSE (Gov't Supplied Equipment) :mad:

Dropkick
12-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Both Claude Werner and Tom Givens each have a pretty similar exercise on how to do this. Hopefully they'll chime in and provide some details.

SLG
12-17-2015, 04:53 PM
I've never liked the "...polite...but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.." I've always thought it was very Walter Mitty, and don't think it's a useful thing to think.

voodoo_man
12-17-2015, 05:36 PM
Mindset isnt just for hurting people, but it definitely plays a role.
http://traffic.libsyn.com/thepressureproject/TPP3_CANON_TomKier_MindsetAndTheMan.mp3

Pressure project interview with tom kier on mindset, but shed some light.

rekkr870
12-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Anyone reading this thread is descended from a long line (millennia) of survivors. Throw some minimal kit in the EDC bag/backpack/briefcase and keep your head on a swivel and your curiosity about life in general switched on; let Darwin work for you. Simple, really.

It's great fun to read Coopers "principles" or "left of bang", but that's just stuff that helps flip the switch. The switch is OEM equipment, IMHO.
I agree, however it is still a must read for this kind of topic. Like you said, if you are reading this thread or even a member on this forum, you are already most likely one of the "Switched on" guys.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

FLC Knives
12-17-2015, 06:49 PM
I've never liked the "...polite...but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.." I've always thought it was very Walter Mitty, and don't think it's a useful thing to think.

Good conversation guys. I'm leaning towards SLG's point of view on this. To me its really about continuity. The driving and war gaming example is good but I'm not sure how to describe the bridging of the gap between playing a game and living it. Aligning your goals with your actions comes to mind. Think about the employee that says they need to make more money, want a raise or want to work up the ranks but their actions don't echo what they are saying. Cause and effect. If something is important enough to you its worth the extra effort/expense. Whether I'm driving home or doing a job I have in mind the desired outcome, the optimal or chosen way to achieve the desired outcome, a plan B based on the likely obstacles and a completely separate plan that may involve starting over from scratch or even starting in parallel a different/separate strategy to guarantee the desired outcome in the desired time frame should there become the need for a plan C. This mental process should cycle over and over in the background because its a dynamic world. The predetermined problems that you already thought of can become different problems requiring different solutions with only 1 variable changing. Understanding OODA loop is helpful as is realizing that you cant be switched on high alert all the time. Leads to bad things. Great subject just wish I wasn't messed up on cold meds!:)

FLC Knives
12-17-2015, 07:18 PM
Another area of life you can use to practice your war gaming is your conversations. It may even improve your career and personal life. The way you respond to others can teach you a great deal about yourself and the opposite is true as well. Thinking about how you word things can help you see the eventual outcome and how you could have worded things better to achieve a better outcome. Avoiding altercations, being "heard" instead of misunderstood and not setting off that volatile co-worker or employer are invaluable skills to develope that mesh well with cultivating the mindset we strive for.

okie john
12-17-2015, 09:32 PM
This might be a stupid line of questions, so pardon me if that’s the case. But I’m curious to hear how people here have worked to develop a proactive mindset.

I have solid situational awareness (so far as I’m… aware), but I presently lack the tendency to proactively formulate solutions to potential problems. “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet” as the mantra goes, is basically the mindset people geared towards self-defense are encouraged to develop.

My issue is that nothing in my day-to-day really encourages me to do this. Cops and warfighters have real, immediate cause to formulate these contingency plans in their head, and it’s easy to see how that assessment and planning becomes second nature. How are civilians, who are only confronted with the possibility of real violence a handful of times in their lives, supposed to do this?

Is this a simple matter of having the discipline to form the habit, or are there strategies you can use to teach people?

Another vote for reading Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense. Also find "Cooper's Commentaries" online and read them. He goes into this stuff in some detail.

One exercise he mentions is to watch the world around you, looking for people you know. Try to spot them before they spot you. If you fail, put an "X" on the calendar for that day. Once you've gone a month with no "X"s, then you have built a firm foundation. I've been doing this for nearly 40 years, and as Cooper points out, it makes the world a far more interesting place. Also, I live in a pretty liberal neck of the woods, and before my kid left for college, it helped me avoid annoying people (mostly the tie-dye wearing, lefter-than-thou idiot parents of his classmates) who only raise my blood pressure.

Another thing you can do is look around and ask yourself, "What would I do if a guy with a gun showed showed up right here right now?" Look for exits and the routes to them (keeping in mind the closest exit may be behind you, as the airlines say). Look for cover and concealment. Estimate (or pace off) the distances you might have to shoot and build yourself a mental range card. Basically, do everything you can think of to familiarize yourself with your environment, which could help you get inside the OODA loop of a shooter.

Then flip the program and plan the attack yourself. Where would you come in? How would you infil weapons and other gear? Where are the fields of fire? Then repeat the exercise for a pair of shooters. The run it for a suicide bomber. Then run it for a Paris/Mumbai style of attack with multiple actors. The permutations are endless. If nothing else, it will keep you from getting bored during school plays, soccer practices, and the other indignities of 21st century suburban life.

Okie John

BN
12-18-2015, 07:44 AM
Another thing you can do is look around and ask yourself, "What would I do if a guy with a gun showed showed up right here right now?"Okie John

I often design stages for pistol matches. A tip I heard, was to set the alarm on your watch or phone to go off at a random time. Then look around at your surroundings and design the stage from that. I also pace off distances. Some shots can be pretty far. :)

Use the alarm to help yourself to say "what if".

Wayne Dobbs
12-22-2015, 10:09 AM
Interesting thoughts and input here. I think that a holistic approach is good and I'd recommend you go and read the Cooper material on Color Code Mental Conditioning, Principles of Personal Defense and his article "The Combat Mindset". Then, go and read "Left of Bang" and/or "PreFense: the 90% Advantage" by Steve Tarani. Those two won't ping very hard with the street cops and combat soldiers here, but for those whom Pat Rogers calls "Average Earth People" I think you'll find them valuable. Then, it's a matter of daily practice of those skills until you get a solid level of awareness. It's hard for some and not so hard for others. In fact, I've said lots of times that good SA is something that's often caught and not taught.

Be aware that this "awareness" is not just for personal defense, but for personal safety in all kinds of circumstances, with driving being the most obvious realm that we'd better pay attention in. I have a set of notes that I've compiled over many years that I use to teach students, family members, etc. that I'd be willing to share if anybody's interested. They're nothing mysterious, but simple and straightforward methods that have worked for me in many situations and locales.

SLG
12-22-2015, 10:12 AM
.. I have a set of notes that I've compiled over many years that I use to teach students, family members, etc. that I'd be willing to share if anybody's interested. They're nothing mysterious, but simple and straightforward methods that have worked for me in many situations and locales.

I'm always interested in someone else's take on this stuff, and would love to read them.

okie john
12-22-2015, 10:12 AM
I have a set of notes that I've compiled over many years that I use to teach students, family members, etc. that I'd be willing to share if anybody's interested. They're nothing mysterious, but simple and straightforward methods that have worked for me in many situations and locales.

I'm interested.

Okie John

Mr_White
12-22-2015, 10:50 AM
I'd be very happy to read that, Wayne, if you'd like to share. Thanks!

1slow
12-22-2015, 11:11 AM
I would be most interested, thank you.

Wayne Dobbs
12-22-2015, 11:17 AM
If you guys who want a copy of the notes would please PM me a good email address, I'll get them out to you.

Mr_White
12-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Thank you kindly, Wayne, that is very generous of you! PM sent.

BaiHu
12-22-2015, 01:12 PM
If you guys who want a copy of the notes would please PM me a good email address, I'll get them out to you.
Thanks! PM inbound..

Wondering Beard
12-22-2015, 01:19 PM

PM sent.

Thank you

voodoo_man
12-22-2015, 01:34 PM
PM sent.

Thank you

Mind sending me a copy as well?

Thanks

Wondering Beard
12-22-2015, 05:26 PM

Very good stuff in there, worth many rereads.

Chance
12-22-2015, 05:46 PM
Very good stuff in there, worth many rereads.

I concur. Y'all should publish that on the HiTS website, or make a pamphlet to hand out to students, or something.

SouthNarc
12-22-2015, 06:48 PM
Wayne you might as well make up several copies and bring 'em to Tac-Con.

scw2
12-22-2015, 07:09 PM
I have a set of notes that I've compiled over many years that I use to teach students, family members, etc. that I'd be willing to share if anybody's interested. They're nothing mysterious, but simple and straightforward methods that have worked for me in many situations and locales.

Would be thrilled to learn from what you've put together :)

CR78
12-22-2015, 10:37 PM
I'd really appreciate this as well.

Dropkick
12-23-2015, 05:30 PM
"From the professional executive protection training world there are some core principles of protection:

The first concept is to cut off angles of approach/attack, deny your sector of responsibility and look at the situation from a layered approach of protection"

Wayne, I know nothing about EP... Is this concept something that could apply to personal or family defense? If so, could you go into a little more detail about it?

Mobile Post

BaiHu
12-23-2015, 05:59 PM
"From the professional executive protection training world there are some core principles of protection:

The first concept is to cut off angles of approach/attack, deny your sector of responsibility and look at the situation from a layered approach of protection"

Wayne, I know nothing about EP... Is this concept something that could apply to personal or family defense? If so, could you go into a little more detail about it?

Mobile Post
I'll second this request. I have my ass-umptions that I could lay out, but I already know those [emoji12]

Wayne Dobbs
12-26-2015, 03:13 PM

Mobile Post

This EP concept it totally applicable to defense of family or yourself. It's not really complex at its root. It simply means to conduct yourself in a manner to be well placed to confront a threat. It also means to be aware of specific areas of potential danger/threat origins and to systematically cover them.

In the EP world there are systematic deployment roles of your protective detail in numbers from one to perhaps a dozen guys. All have specific responsibilities and positions dependent upon numbers of personnel available. All are expected to surveil and "deny" their sectors and are even to perform as a cover point or bunker to absorb rounds intended for the principal (protectee). For guys going to really risky places like Afghanistan/Iraq that would be wearing obvious hard armor, we called this "putting plates (armor) on the principal". The layered approach means that we don't rely on one measure alone, but a system of preparation, equipment and training to provide security to the principal. This includes movements, motorcade operations, firearms, defensive tactics, special situations, medical, etc. It's the total package of knowledge, skills and operational actions taken to protect the principal from harm, harassment and embarrassment (which is the mission definition of EP).

I bet Nyeti can jump in on the EP world in more detail.

Joe in PNG
12-26-2015, 03:54 PM
Please send me a copy as well

Danny304
12-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Wayne, thanks for the notes. You really did a great job putting them together, organization and content. I thought about emailing you, then decided to post it here in case someone else wants to chime in. Point #6 on the first page, "strong contrast between the norm..." one thing I have tried to suggest both at work (former LE / current probation&parole officer) is building familiarity to help develop the "file folders" discussed in Left of Bang. I told a guy at work, every time we head out, we need to drive through a particular housing project, even if neither of us have contacts in that neighborhood. Get a feel for the community, decals on cars, tagging on buildings/dumpsters, who sits on their front porch and who doesn't. The reason is, whe we have subjects on supervision in that area, we will know what is or is not out of place.

I would not want my wife or daughter to drive through certain housing projects for the heck of it. But my daughter wanted to try a new restaurant. I suggested going for a lunch on Sunday. Becoming familiar with interior, wait staff, types who might frequent the establishment, etc. Then when we go on a Thurs/Fri night we have some idea of what might be "norm" and what might be an "anomaly".

Earlier in the thread the topic of war gaming came up. I have done this several times when my daughter first learned to drive. "Boom...a deer plowed into your driver's side door, you are off the road and in a ditch. Call it in to 911." I play the role of a 911 operator first and foremost asking repeatedly for her location, going so far as telling her, "Ma'am I cannot help you if you don't tell me where you are at." Beats into her the idea she must always know where she is at.

SAWBONES
12-26-2015, 10:55 PM
I'd appreciate a copy as well. PM sent.

Dagga Boy
12-27-2015, 12:48 AM
It will be interesting to see Wayne's notes. We spend enough time together that I am sure we have talked about most of it.
A couple of things from my perspective. I have worked a lot of EP stuff specializing in very high threat protectee's, but have almost always worked alone or with very small teams. This is a lot like protecting yourself and family.

Some things I always looked at as both a cop and doing EP work and daily personal safety. Anomaly's are things to look for. When things don't look right, they are likely not right. Sometimes it is something innocent, which is great...but the key is spotting things that do not fit. Things that are just a little off. I had a partner that was a twenty plus year EP agent and very good! but he was always amazed at how I spotted criminal stuff. A couple examples and a means of simply seeing the world differently.

We are sitting at a light across from a 7/11 late at night. He sees a parking lot. I tell him the store is going to get robbed. He says how do you know. I told him to watch, and sure enough, guy runs out of the story carrying an arm full of cases of beer, head covered in a hoodie and dives in a car and they flee while the clerk runs out and it is obvious they had a beer run (so it wasn't quite a robbery, but close). He says "how did you know looking at a parking lot". First, car is backed in and running as I could see the exhaust but lights are off. It is in a parking space out of view of the front of the store when there were open spots in front of the door. The passenger pulled his hoodie over his head just before entering the store. These are all anomalies most folks will never notice. It would behoove folks to pay attention to the little things so you don't walk into that 7/11. Another case with the same guy. I tell him to watch a vehicle in front and to the side of us as it is stolen. I get the "how do you know that look". Newer vehicle on a hot day in SoCal with the windows all rolled down...in a car that has A/C. Two gang bangers in a car they don't rate. Big indicator, glass remains around the rear drivers side door window. The windows are all rolled down because if they were up the broken window would be obvious. When you are driving around, you want to avoid this vehicle. It has criminals in it. People not dressed right, people acting weird, strangers approaching you. Strangers of a different race or gender approaching you at a gas station or parking lot. It is simply out of character for some one of a different race or gender to approach a stranger to make contact with them. The PC police will tell you it is bad to have this raise your level of threat, but folks who are around criminals or crime victims will tell you this is a big indicator of something bad, or a diversion. When folks need help, they will usually approach "their own" for help. Just nature. Never assume you are safe. Lean towards safety and safe practices, but you are not safe.

I got to meet Kid Rock and his bodyguard while working in Air Support when they flew into our facility. I spent some time with the bodyguard picking his brain as he was by himself and not a very big guy. One of the invaluable things I learned from him when working like he does is simply "avoid trouble". Do not go to places where trouble is. Basically, the don't go stupid places with stupid people doing stupid things......which is hard with someone like Kid Rock (who was very decent and not an ass). He said he sets his foot down that when he works with a client, they will alter their lifestyle and way they do things to his program...period. He said many of the folks protecting people in the music industry get themselves into altercations. This was an issue with Kid Rock before he was with him. Many of the celebrities feel empowered to be asses when surrounded by a bunch of large mammals. He simply avoided fans, and when he had to be around people, they were unpredictable and smart. Where I found this makes sense is with your family and friends. Avoid bad places. Don't be predictable. Make sure everyone knows, you are in charge and if told to do something or not do something, it needs to be followed without a discussion.
While the be kind to everyone you meet and have a plan to kill them is simplistic, the theory isn't bad. Be courteous, use good manners, but always be prepared to hit the switch (key...have a switch). Many people in a crisis freeze. You have got to have the ability to go into controlled violence mode when a situation goes violent or the potential is articulable. Learn to breath. Learn to calm yourself. Panic and emotion are often not your friend when using tools to save yourself. There is a place for emotional violence...but it is not one you want to be in.

Hope some of this helps.

Notso
12-27-2015, 09:47 AM
Pat McNamara's The Sentinel book (I think you can get it on iTunes) is a pretty good start to apply EP principles to your family.

As for the development of the mindset for the "mere mortal"- there's nothing mystical about it. Mainly just open your eyes. That sounds oversimplified but the truth is the average person's senses are dulled from a myriad of things. 24/7 internet and gadgets, busy lives and busy jobs have our minds going non-stop. Take a moment right now to realize how often you're not focused on whats going on around you? We're either reliving some event in our head or daydreaming about some future event. Combine these with the number one issue being we live in the illusion of safety in modern times. We pretty much wake up, go to hum drum work, come home, deal with the family, go to bed, repeat. Our senses have become dulled because we feel generally safe and therefore we allow ourselves to be "switched off" (and for some reason it seems worse with youth and affluence) If you had to drive the roads of Baghdad, or even through a rough ghetto every day to get to work I gaurantee that you would become very in tune with anomalies along the roadways. It's just being human. We become aware of what is important to us and fear can greatly intensify the learning and focus of what is important to us.

For the "mere mortals" and I can assure you I am one as well, just be aware of what is going on around you. Every time you have to go to one of those family events that you have little interest in, WATCH whats going on around you. That rom-com movie your wife wants to see (and you have no interest in)- sit down and plot out all the escape routes. What do you have on you that you could use if something happened? What would you do if....

Family gatherings with the whole family- see who is alert and who is not. Who is paying attention and who is oblivious.

Go to the park and watch the people. The mall. See who's watching who and why. Is that guy checking out that girl's butt or is he watching her shiny new iPhone 6s? Who is up and looking around? Who is completely in "condition Facebook"? Who is watching you?

The more you do it the more it becomes ingrained. The reasons guys like Nyeti and Wayne are so sharp is they have been doing it so long. Every one here is the same way, just focused on different things. It doesn't matter whether you're an intel analyst, a LEO or an accountant- all can spot an anomaly in their profession because they know what looks normal and what does not. Everything begins with observation. No military or police raid begins without a lot of observation or ISR. Same for every day humans. Same for bad folks casing your joint.

You don't have to become a nervous nelly, doomsday prepper or a paranoid schizo (however, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...) just become a little more aware of who and what is going on around you. And if you think you are safe in your world, get your local police blotter!

Wondering Beard
12-27-2015, 10:42 AM
Be courteous, use good manners, but always be prepared to hit the switch (key...have a switch). Many people in a crisis freeze. You have got to have the ability to go into controlled violence mode when a situation goes violent or the potential is articulable. Learn to breath. Learn to calm yourself. Panic and emotion are often not your friend when using tools to save yourself. There is a place for emotional violence...but it is not one you want to be in.

Hope some of this helps.

I believe the highlighted part is a crucial part of a proper mindset.

It's one thing to develop proper awareness, it's another to be ready, willing and able to "hit the switch". Both are crucial but they are not the same.

Guinnessman
12-27-2015, 12:29 PM
PM sent to Wayne.

Wayne Dobbs
12-27-2015, 11:45 PM
Pat McNamara's The Sentinel book (I think you can get it on iTunes) is a pretty good start to apply EP principles to your family.

As for the development of the mindset for the "mere mortal"- there's nothing mystical about it. Mainly just open your eyes. That sounds oversimplified but the truth is the average person's senses are dulled from a myriad of things. 24/7 internet and gadgets, busy lives and busy jobs have our minds going non-stop. Take a moment right now to realize how often you're not focused on whats going on around you? We're either reliving some event in our head or daydreaming about some future event. Combine these with the number one issue being we live in the illusion of safety in modern times. We pretty much wake up, go to hum drum work, come home, deal with the family, go to bed, repeat. Our senses have become dulled because we feel generally safe and therefore we allow ourselves to be "switched off" (and for some reason it seems worse with youth and affluence) If you had to drive the roads of Baghdad, or even through a rough ghetto every day to get to work I gaurantee that you would become very in tune with anomalies along the roadways. It's just being human. We become aware of what is important to us and fear can greatly intensify the learning and focus of what is important to us.

For the "mere mortals" and I can assure you I am one as well, just be aware of what is going on around you. Every time you have to go to one of those family events that you have little interest in, WATCH whats going on around you. That rom-com movie your wife wants to see (and you have no interest in)- sit down and plot out all the escape routes. What do you have on you that you could use if something happened? What would you do if....

Family gatherings with the whole family- see who is alert and who is not. Who is paying attention and who is oblivious.

Go to the park and watch the people. The mall. See who's watching who and why. Is that guy checking out that girl's butt or is he watching her shiny new iPhone 6s? Who is up and looking around? Who is completely in "condition Facebook"? Who is watching you?

The more you do it the more it becomes ingrained. The reasons guys like Nyeti and Wayne are so sharp is they have been doing it so long. Every one here is the same way, just focused on different things. It doesn't matter whether you're an intel analyst, a LEO or an accountant- all can spot an anomaly in their profession because they know what looks normal and what does not. Everything begins with observation. No military or police raid begins without a lot of observation or ISR. Same for every day humans. Same for bad folks casing your joint.

You don't have to become a nervous nelly, doomsday prepper or a paranoid schizo (however, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...) just become a little more aware of who and what is going on around you. And if you think you are safe in your world, get your local police blotter!

Pat's book is on my list of recommended books in the aforementioned notes. Easy read and very understandable by the average guy/gal.

Luke
12-28-2015, 12:49 AM
I believe the highlighted part is a crucial part of a proper mindset.

It's one thing to develop proper awareness, it's another to be ready, willing and able to "hit the switch". Both are crucial but they are not the same.

If your not a cop/military how do you know if you have a switch and it works? Ive done a little FOF but you go in knowing your gonna shoot most of the time so..

Serious question. Been thinking about this since the thread got started. Only thing I've come up with is only way to tell is if you honestly have to make the switch, and then hopefully you do.

JM Campbell
12-28-2015, 01:11 AM
If your not a cop/military how do you know if you have a switch and it works? Ive done a little FOF but you go in knowing your gonna shoot most of the time so..

Serious question. Been thinking about this since the thread got started. Only thing I've come up with is only way to tell is if you honestly have to make the switch, and then hopefully you do.
ECQC with Craig Douglas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Dagga Boy
12-28-2015, 02:25 AM
ECQC with Craig Douglas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I like Craig, think his classes are good, but a class will not give you a switch. It can help get you there to show how it works and in mindset development, which is good. But simply taking classes is only a part of the equation. Trust me, there are a bunch of well trained folks out there who do not have a switch when it gets real, and a bunch of totally untrained folks who do have one. I look at high end classes as motivators and artificial experience....which is better than not having any experience and a misunderstanding of what a violent encounter feels like.

A word Wayne and I both use is developing "Will". It is one thing to say and verbalize what you would do, or how you would do it. It is vastly different to have the absolute determination and motivation to impart the highest levels of violence on another human. Personally, it took me some time to get good at it. I will say that an exercise we did in the academy called Will to Survive (sort of ECQC type stuff) did help to not make those first heavyweight violent interactions a first experience, but it was those initial encounters with no protection and no real rules that set my will and determination to do anything to win....and anything was not in a class or books. You had to really feel "anything" to develop it, and then use a switch to control it.

Notso
12-28-2015, 05:26 AM

Answer this and you have the billion dollar answer that many a military and police force would pay you for. And the "switch" gets kind of overused a little. Being "switched on" means you're alert and have your wits about you- attentive to your environment if you will. The "switch" as Wayne or Nyeti said and jump in if I'm wrong is that mental leap you have to take to stop the paralysis/fight the fear when something bad happens. It's that moment when life goes from 0-100mph in 1 second flat and things are no longer going your way. Many people freeze. People who can flip the switch can mentally function- the best remain calm like nothing is going on. That is a true art and is very probably an innate ability that later gets honed.

As Nyeti said, training helps but at the end of the day you still know its training or a drill or an exercise. Some people have it and some don't. You can get it but it takes living through those experiences to learn how to control it. The reason why the SEALs and other SOF units assessments are so arduous is precisely for this- to see if they can endure and function smoothly under the worst conditions. And the funny thing about this stuff and Nyeti hit it- you can't pinpoint who has it and who doesn't. It's all how people handle fear and surprise. It might be the little skinny kid who just was never put in positions to develop it but he/she doesn't get shocked or surprised and the fear doesn't grip them.

How the regular military tries to solve the equation is through training and planning. Training force on force with simulations and explosions and such. Planning is more for the tactical/unit side but can be worked for the individual. A plan can be as simple as "that dude looks spooky and if he does this (or gets within 5' of me) I will do that". But having the will to survive, to do anything it takes to stay alive- the best survival schools in the world will tell you that they can't predict in a class who will endure and who will fold.

Danny304
12-28-2015, 11:15 PM
I cannot speak for the military, but I know in law enforcement sometimes people cannot adjust, become overwhelmed at the moment they are needed, or simply due to past experiences cannot get into the game when they need to. These people cannot “flip the switch,” and sometimes they are quietly moved out of patrol into an admin position or the decision is made by them or for them, that it is time to try something else.

My thought is confidence helps some people “flip the switch” and function. From a law enforcement prospective, being somewhat fit, knowing policy and procedure, in-service training, and being familiar with equipment all go to being confident. Many times when things are starting to go bad and being able to say, “This is what we are going to do,” keeps things from getting worse.

For guys who are not military or law enforcement, working out, studying laws of deadly force, developing mental exercises to articulate their actions, going to firearms or FOF training, all of these build the confidence that when things go bad maybe the guy can do something to keep things from getting worse. If they can, then they succeeded.

Tabasco
12-29-2015, 03:59 PM
I lived in San Francisco for 20 years. The SF Bay area has a historical penchant for large earthquakes. I was there during the 7.0 Loma Prieta in 89. I worked in IT for most of that 20 years, and disaster recovery was usually part of my job. One of the biggest obstacles I ran into in both my personal life and business when trying to get people to prepare for the inevitable was a reaction of anger for even bringing up the subject. I realized later that that anger was part of a denial mindset that these individuals and companies had. By preparing for such an event, you are admitting to yourself that such an event could actually happen. For some, that's just too scary to contemplate.

Al T.
01-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Tagged. Wayne, PM sent. :)

Wayne Dobbs
01-01-2016, 05:57 PM
I have sent copies of the aforementioned notes to all who have requested them. If you sent a PM to me and didn't receive them for some reason, please resend your email address and I'll get them to you. Hope they're helpful to all of you good guys!

Happy New Year!

11B10
01-01-2016, 06:21 PM

Sir - I have been reading and rereading this thread + I have read Mr. Dobbs' notes on "Situational Awareness" and I would like to thank you for beginning it and so many others for elaborating on it. I personally feel this is an area that should be the most heavily "traveled" - and it is not. I'm not sure why, but so many of us are so quick to jump on the latest firearm (I know I have) or the latest technique (guilty) or whatever, which is not necessarily a bad thing. BUT, it is when it's all we do, not paying attention to our mindset. As you have all explained here, there is no easy answer, but I am so thankful for what I have learned from this thread. Many thanks to all.

Wayne Dobbs
01-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Sir - I have been reading and rereading this thread + I have read Mr. Dobbs' notes on "Situational Awareness" and I would like to thank you for beginning it and so many others for elaborating on it. I personally feel this is an area that should be the most heavily "traveled" - and it is not. I'm not sure why, but so many of us are so quick to jump on the latest firearm (I know I have) or the latest technique (guilty) or whatever, which is not necessarily a bad thing. BUT, it is when it's all we do, not paying attention to our mindset. As you have all explained here, there is no easy answer, but I am so thankful for what I have learned from this thread. Many thanks to all.

It's simply that old battle between software and hardware. As males and American versions of that gender, we LOVE to get a piece of new gear or buy the latest greatest load or get the newest holster, ad nauseum. Software isn't really much fun and it's a PITA to work on day after day. But I know that the awareness and preparation has been critical to success as a cop, contractor and instructor of both for many years. It's kept me from getting killed, it's kept me from having to kill others (because they got put in positions of absolute LOSE before they knew it) and now it helps me to avoid attendance at tactical events. Those days are over for me and it's gratifying to see what others miss. I keep on recalling something I heard Clint Smith say over 20 years ago: "The more you learn about pistol fighting and building clearing, the less you want to do them". He's right, because no matter how great a shot or tactician you may be, there is way too much luck involved in those deadly pursuits.