PDA

View Full Version : Two is one, but three is...?

Sero Sed Serio
12-17-2015, 01:39 AM
To start, I was a big fan of the whole separate carry/training gun idea. Then I started spending some time around the good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) P-F crowd, and I'm liking the idea of 3 copies of a given gun...one training/dry fire, one carry, and a spare to those.

When I switched to AIWB carry I decided on the P2000...it wasn't the gun I WANTED most, but it made the most sense when I plugged in all of my requirements. I really wanted a USPc, but wanted to be able to mount an XC1, and I liked that it had an identical manual of arms subcompact available.

So now I have 2 P2000s, one with an XC1 mounted, and one dedicated as a trainer, as well as an P2000SK. I would like a third gun to serve as a less-bulky WML-less carry alternate/spare to my primary. I know that logically anot her P2000 makes the most sense, since it's identical to my others, has the same manual of arms, and can drop into the same holsters. But I really WANT a USPc, and my main reason for going with the P2000 was the rail...I personally think the USPc is a slightly more robust design, a better trigger, the bobbed hammer would be more comfortable, and I'm not a huge fan of the slight gap in the P2000 backstrap.

Since the two have the same magazines it doesn't make a huge difference...is it dumb to go with the USPc? Is the more responsible decision to get an identical, albeit somewhat boring copy of my current system? Will fumbling for a decocker in the wrong place get me killed on da streetz?

Kyle Reese
12-17-2015, 01:46 AM
Since the two have the same magazines it doesn't make a huge difference...is it dumb to go with the USPc? Is the more responsible decision to get an identical, albeit somewhat boring copy of my current system? Will fumbling for a decocker in the wrong place get me killed on da streetz?

Not dumb - you'll just have to invest additional monies into carry / support gear for it. Sometimes it's nice to buy a gun that you'll enjoy shooting, and since you've got two P2000's, nothing wrong with buying the USPc.

LSP972
12-17-2015, 08:03 AM
Not dumb - you'll just have to invest additional monies into carry / support gear for it. Sometimes it's nice to buy a gun that you'll enjoy shooting, and since you've got two P2000's, nothing wrong with buying the USPc.

This^. Simply, and well, stated.

voodoo_man
12-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Two is one, but four is....

http://i.imgur.com/1lOMplH.jpg

Chuck Haggard
12-17-2015, 09:18 AM
I think it's a good plan, and it fulfills the idea nicely.

One doesn't need guns that are absolutely identical. As an example, a guy could have a G17 duty gun, a G19 off-duty gun, and a G34 game gun and still be GTG with the training/carry/something happened and I need a different gun idea

Up1911Fan
12-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Agreed they don't have to be identical, I have 3 Gen4 17's, a 17 cut for 19 mags and a 19. Even though I want another 19, i'm pretty well covered.

UNK
12-17-2015, 04:04 PM
You should get those welded togather...one is two....

Peally
12-17-2015, 04:10 PM
I like how the one on the right is a 34, just in case you need to snipe a fool with your gamer skills.

Left hand for general use, right hand for specialized encounters.

Jesting Devil
12-17-2015, 09:55 PM

But XS big dots on a 34...?

Hauptmann
12-17-2015, 09:56 PM

Did you put your phone in your teeth to take that?

Sero Sed Serio
12-17-2015, 11:39 PM
Thanks everyone...the USPc is what I really want, and I put in e-mail notices for every place that has the LE versions with night sights and 3 mags, so now it's just the waiting game (Top Gun got a bunch in stock a few weeks ago, but I hesitated and missed out, so I'll cultivate patience until the next batch arrives.) I feel better about the decision in a Passion of the Gun sort of way, and I'll have a solid setup for a wide variety of situations--dedicated trainer, subcompact for NPE, mid-size carry, and dedicated light carry.

Beat Trash
12-18-2015, 09:57 AM
I think that you have the logical side of the topic covered with two P2000's and one P2000sk. You even have the ability to simplify your magazines if you buy the USPc, since they're interchangeable.

Now that you have the logical part of your pistol selection covered, it is OK to cater to your emotional side. If you REALLY want a UPSc, go for it...

You never mentioned, are all of your HK's LEM or DA/SA? And will the USPc be the same trigger setup as the others?

Sero Sed Serio
12-18-2015, 10:45 AM
You never mentioned, are all of your HK's LEM or DA/SA? And will the USPc be the same trigger setup as the others?

DA/SA--I really wanted to like the LEM, but the wall at the end killed me. I could do fairly well with it as long as I shot it exclusively and regularly, but if I shot something else or took some time away, the learning came back. Plus I'm a flicker instead of riding the reset, and doing that on a LEM basically turns it into a light DAO. But I liked everything else about the HKs, so DA/SA it is.

The new USP will be DA/SA, but I'll switch it over to decocker only.

SkiDevil
12-20-2015, 04:58 AM
Check-out Cross Creek guns. Very good prices and a great guy runs the business.

I own 5 HKs now and the USP c 9mm has the best trigger da/sa of them all. Incredibly accurate, and reliable side arm. It shoots almost as well as the P7M8 that I once owned. I could care less about the rail, because I carry a Flash light.

It should fit the holster for the P2000. I use one holster for my USP c9 and P2000 sk.

Definitely one of my favorite guns.

gtmtnbiker98
12-20-2015, 08:51 AM

I own 5 HKs now and the USP c 9mm has the best trigger da/sa of them all. Incredibly accurate, and reliable side arm. It shoots almost as well as the P7M8 that I once owned. I could care less about the rail, because I carry a Flash light.

It should fit the holster for the P2000. I use one holster for my USP c9 and P2000 sk.

Definitely one of my favorite guns.Yeah, I second the Cross Creek Guns recommendation. Mike can get you all things HK at the best prices.

LSP972
12-20-2015, 06:44 PM

Uh… a P2000 or P30 will usually fit in a holster made for a USPc. Not the other way around. The slide contour of the USPc will preclude it from fitting in a P-series holster… assuming, of course, said holster is properly made/fitted.

We have a pair of P2000s, three USP compacts, and four P30s… and a menagerie of holsters. I have found this to be a constant… the P-series guns will fit in anything made for the USPc; how well depends upon the holster. The reverse is not true.

YMMV.

Sero Sed Serio
01-13-2016, 01:31 PM

This. E-mailed Mike last month and he put me on the notify list. His responses were so quick and professional that I passed up an in-product alert from another vendor to wait for Cross Creek. Mike e-mailed me first thing yesterday morning that LE USPC 9s were available, and by around 10 a.m. my order and FFL were all taken care of. Would definitely recommend.

JodyH
01-13-2016, 02:10 PM
P2000 and USPC share magazines and many leather holsters (and kydex for the C will often work for the P2K).
Purchase with no regrets.