PDA

View Full Version : Drill of the Week

ToddG
10-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Based on several recommendations by readers at pistol-training.com (http://pistol-training.com), the Staff here at pistol-forum.com have decided to host a new feature called Drill of the Week.

Each week, we will post a different drill or shooting test. We encourage pistol-forum.com members to incorporate it into their practice over the next seven days and then post their results. Each month, pistol-forum.com will award a prize to a random DotW participant.

RULES

Each pistol-forum.com member is entitled to post one score per week.
A new DotW will be announced every Monday. Scores may be posted until 11:59 Eastern time the following Monday. After that time, the DotW thread will be locked.
Each weekly entry entitles the member to one chance to win the monthly prizes. E.g., if you participate in three DotWs during a month your name will be entered three times.
Winners are chosen at random, not awarded to the best reported score. The Staff at pistol-forum.com have no way to verify reported scores.
Only Staff can post new DotW's. No other threads are allowed in the DotW area without prior approval from Staff.
All posts in a DotW thread should be strictly limited to announcing results or discussing the drill. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted at the discretion of Staff.
Scores only count toward prizes and the Ironman (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2185-DotW-Ironmen) list if posted by a member himself. You cannot have someone else post your scores for you, nor can you post someone else's scores. (added 14-Nov-11)

ToddG
10-01-2011, 02:03 PM
By the way, the primary reason we decided to do this at the forum rather than at PTC is because it will be far easier for folks to post photos and videos here. So obviously, we encourage you to make use of visual aides. :cool:

Little Creek
10-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Upside Down Double Half F.A.S.T.

Set up two F.A.S.T. targets side by side. Can be printed out from website. From concealment engage both circles with two shots each left to right, then reload and engage each 3x5 with one shot each left to right. Delightfully tactical, yet unrefined.

Little Creek
10-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Upside Down Double Half F.A.S.T.

Set up two F.A.S.T. targets side by side. Can be printed out from website. From concealment engage both circles with two shots each left to right, then reload and engage each 3x5 with one shot each left to right. Delightfully tactical, yet unrefined.

I failed to specify the distance. The distance is 7 yards. I would think the times should be about the same as the regular F.A.S.T. drill.

NickDrak
10-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Im in. This is gonna be fun!

Little Creek
10-05-2011, 07:54 AM
The PDF download of the target for the 4567 Drill did not download properly for me.

ToddG
12-30-2011, 12:58 PM
I just wanted to say how impressed I am with the folks who have been reporting their results in the DotW and training journal threads. When I see well-known folks like DocGKR and Caleb sign in and report mistakes or things that didn't go as well as they'd like, it makes me realize that we have a very unique community here full of folks more interested in actual performance than ego.

The same is true for all the members who aren't scoring 99th percentile. When a bunch of guys post great scores and then someone else says, "Well, I sucked... I didn't do half as well," that's every bit as impressive. No one wants to be the worst guy in the group. But instead of padding scores or just avoiding a week, they put it out there for everyone to see, good or bad.

You guys make me incredibly proud of the community we've built here. Thank you.

JV_
12-30-2011, 01:49 PM
When I see well-known folks like DocGKR and Caleb sign in and report mistakes or things that didn't go as well as they'd like, it makes me realize that we have a very unique community hereI was recently reflecting on this. I really appreciate when the folks on the top of the pile report their issues/mistakes, it makes my training struggles seem more ordinary.

Mr_White
12-30-2011, 02:55 PM
I was recently reflecting on this. I really appreciate when the folks on the top of the pile report their issues/mistakes, it makes my training struggles seem more ordinary.

I feel the same way. There is no question for me that I am emotionally invested in my shooting performance. Participating in the DotW (and also if I get around to a training journal) is a way of keeping myself honest. I've had a few outstanding weeks, and others that really didn't measure up to that level. Without the public exposure of the DotW, I would continue to be guilty of shooting a drill until I got a score I liked, forgetting all the bad ones, and failing to recognize how much more I could improve myself by just trying to shoot the target with every shot.

LOKNLOD
12-30-2011, 04:24 PM
The DOTW's have been really great. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that participating in the DOTW has been a "make time to shoot" motivator, not to mention it's introduced some really good new drills. And in the vein of data tracking, it's been interesting to compare notes and get a lot of other shooters (of varied skills) data to compare too. Seeing other people's numbers -- better, worse, and similar -- keeps you from operating in a vacuum where you think you're doing good, or bad, without understanding where along the spectrum you fit.

Perhaps it's OT in this thread, but the journals are awesome too. Good motivation plus it's really encouraged me to write down what I'm doing while shooting in more detail, which has let to better data tracking. It's good to put it all out in a place where you can get feedback from time to time. And reading others' thoughts is insightful, too. I've learned a lot.

Best. (Shooting) Website. Ever.

Mr_White
12-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Seeing other people's numbers -- better, worse, and similar -- keeps you from operating in a vacuum where you think you're doing good, or bad, without understanding where along the spectrum you fit.

That's been very useful to me too.

Without hard numbers attached to my performance, and other people's numbers available for comparison, it's really easy to get comfortable. That's exactly where I was at a few years ago before I got more serious about improvement of technical shooting and gunhandling skills.

Lot2Learn
06-02-2012, 06:50 PM
So....when are we going to have another DOTW? or did I totally miss something?

DocGKR
06-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Yes--it will start again shortly!

DocGKR
11-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Pistol-forum has now posted 55 DOW, most using single targets shot from a static position, with some allowance for folks using ranges that do not allow drawing from the holster.

Readers may have noticed numerous suggestions at the bottom of many recent DOW to locate and patronize only ranges that allow drawing from the holster, as well as those allowing movement and other more realistic actions necessary for effective training with a pistol. Locate your local USPSA and IDPA shooters, as they will need to use such facilities for their practice.

Beginning in 2013, there will be a significant number of new DOW's that will use multiple spaced targets along with DOW requiring movement.

Chris Rhines
11-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Locate your local USPSA and IDPA shooters, as they will need to use such facilities for their practice.[/i] In many places, the the response from your local USPSA and IDPA shooters will be something like, "Dunno, brah. But if you find someplace like that, let me know!"

Matt O
11-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Locate your local USPSA and IDPA shooters, as they will need to use such facilities for their practice.
Beginning in 2013, there will be a significant number of new DOW's that will use multiple spaced targets along with DOW requiring movement.

Unfortunately, for a lot of people, including the local USPSA and IDPA shooters, there just simply aren't any range options nearby to practice multiple targets or SOM.

DocGKR
12-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Through the end of the year we will deliberately revisit some of the older DOW so folks who have been running these all along can see how they have hopefully improved.

DocGKR
12-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Last DOW of 2012 has been posted.

For those of you who participated in the 2012 performance challenge (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2626-2012-Performance-Challenge), the last two DOW of 2012 will allow you to get some end of the year numbers to post.

Hopefully you all will enjoy a Happy New Year.

DocGKR
02-18-2013, 02:08 AM
I apologize about the tardiness and slow pace in getting the DOW so far this year; unfortunately, to date, the real world has been rearing its ugly head and making it quite difficult to engage in fun pursuits such as this...

ST911
02-18-2013, 11:30 AM
I apologize about the tardiness and slow pace in getting the DOW so far this year; unfortunately, to date, the real world has been rearing its ugly head and making it quite difficult to engage in fun pursuits such as this...

Appreciate the effort, Doc!

Anything we can do to help? I have toothpicks, pliers, a box of sharpies, a case of disposable speculums, a roll of smiley face stickers, and plenty of frequent flier miles. :D

Mr_White
02-18-2013, 01:34 PM

No problem. My real world has also been making things difficult for me lately too.

Franky2shoes
05-23-2013, 07:32 AM
How to define a hit or miss. Like IDPA or USPSA where the benefit goes to the shooter or if it is "in" but breaks the line it's considered out? Same standard for tDOW and F.A.S.T? :confused:

ToddG
05-23-2013, 08:17 AM
I'd say that it is generally accepted in the shooting world that unless a drill, instructor, or event specifically says otherwise a "hit" is defined as at least breaking the edge of a scoring zone with the bullet itself but does not count tears in the paper.