PDA

View Full Version : Gas release protest to guns in Austin

Glenn E. Meyer
12-13-2015, 12:25 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/ut-austin-texas-dildos-mass-farting-fart-protest-6694688.php

Oh, well.

GardoneVT
12-13-2015, 12:46 PM
Never has the intellectual v emotional state of society been contrasted so heavily in recent times.

Perhaps we are no longer living in the "Age of Reason", but now the " Age of Emotion". Facts and the truths of the universe no longer matter, it is only the social and individual feelings which matter and thus should be the basis of our policy decisions.

Dagga Boy
12-13-2015, 01:24 PM
Never has the intellectual v emotional state of society been contrasted so heavily in recent times.

Perhaps we are no longer living in the "Age of Reason", but now the " Age of Emotion". Facts and the truths of the universe no longer matter, it is only the social and individual feelings which matter and thus should be the basis of our policy decisions.

Excellent observation.....I ll be stealing that.

I I actually think the mass shooting folks were the stupid ones on this. I take second amendment discussions quite seriously, and making a a drama production bothers me to the core. I work my tail off trying to have logical debate with the other side, often using their own pet issues against them. Meanwhile, stupid gets press.

Wondering Beard
12-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Stupid always gets press because real thought out logic gets the tl;dr in a newspaper page.

That and reporters aren't known for their deep level of knowledge.

GardoneVT
12-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Excellent observation.....I ll be stealing that.

I I actually think the mass shooting folks were the stupid ones on this. I take second amendment discussions quite seriously, and making a a drama production bothers me to the core. I work my tail off trying to have logical debate with the other side, often using their own pet issues against them. Meanwhile, stupid gets press.

Indeed.

The "Mock Mass Shooting" was IMO a major blunder. From a logical standpoint it was a slam dunk- can't predict when one will happen, LE and public response is always delayed , etcetera.

Unfortunately it was a total failure because it had zero emotional relevance. We aren't debating Socrates in an Athens theatre. Too many people in the pro-gun camp think if we throw charts and facts and data the other side will fold up their tents in defeat, and it just doesn't work that way in the modern cultural idiom.

Were I tasked with the unenviable job of educating Johnny Xbox and Jane Instagram about the relevance of armed self defense, I'd dispense with guns and blood. Folks who've never fought can't relate to violence.

Instead I'd recruit ten or so folks, put mobile cell phone signal jammers in their backpacks, and have them camp out in various areas on campus with a lot of people. No phone service means no Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat....or calling Mom and Dad.

The next day id pose a simple question. You're cut off from the world . You're on your own.

What
Will
You
Do?

Let the emotional relevance of being isolated sink in first. You'd be surprised how many "adults" in society collapse in tears at the thought of being without an iPhone for two business days.

TGS
12-13-2015, 02:04 PM
Instead I'd recruit ten or so folks, put mobile cell phone signal jammers in their backpacks, and have them camp out in various areas on campus with a lot of people.

Have fun sitting in jail for a very long time. You'd be violating multiple laws of the United States, each with penalties of up to 10 years imprisonment.

No phone service means no Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat....or calling Mom and Dad.

And also no emergency services.

An even worse idea than the mock mass shooting.

ETA: I get that you might only be suggesting this as a theoretical, but people do insanely stupid shit these days which are outright criminal. Like teenage gamers who "SWAT" each other as a seemingly harmless prank or demonstration to make a political point......and rightfully get their 25-to-life prison sentences. I can totally see some student group doing exactly what you propose.

voodoo_man
12-13-2015, 02:44 PM
"in droves"

"about 100 protesters"

100?

That's like, not even remotely a lot.

NETim
12-13-2015, 03:15 PM

Cooper called it "The Age of the Common Man."

Kyle Reese
12-13-2015, 03:20 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/ut-austin-texas-dildos-mass-farting-fart-protest-6694688.php

Oh, well.

Sounds like excellent material for a future South Park episode.

Trooper224
12-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Well, it is Austin...............

RJ
12-13-2015, 03:54 PM
Well, it is Austin...............

I am constantly amazed at the stories coming out of Austin...I mean, it *is* Texas, right?

We plan to revisit San Antonio again in the spring; we liked it so much. Austin we missed, I understand it's uh, different lol.

GardoneVT
12-13-2015, 04:14 PM
I am constantly amazed at the stories coming out of Austin...I mean, it *is* Texas, right?

We plan to revisit San Antonio again in the spring; we liked it so much. Austin we missed, I understand it's uh, different lol.

Every state has a place or two like this. IL has Chicago , NY has NYC, Texas....Austin.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-13-2015, 04:58 PM
While Austin has its antigun folks, there are plenty of progun things in and around the city. Good IDPA matches and others nearby. Some good gun stores - GT Distributors, McBride's (kind of good ol' boy expensive). Book stores (great sci-fi, comic store on Lamar), fun restaurants, other shopping.

So you can conceal your handgun and lobby the legislature, go get some good gelato and fine cheese and then get a compliation of classic Dr. Fate comics. As long as the legislature comes across, that's manageable.

Here's a piece by the losing candidate for governor on gun hypocrites (like her):

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/12/wendy-davis-open-carry-gun-rights-texas-213423

TR675
12-13-2015, 07:03 PM
AK with thumb hole stock. Cheap red dot. And the magazine in backwards. Must be an open carry activist.

http://www.reuters.com/news/picture/pro-gun-group-stages-fake-shooting-in-te?articleId=USKBN0TV0RP20151212&slideId=1101882836#QGX2WAzQwciyBvye.

RJ
12-13-2015, 08:17 PM
AK with thumb hole stock. Cheap red dot. And the magazine in backwards. Must be an open carry activist.

http://www.reuters.com/news/picture/pro-gun-group-stages-fake-shooting-in-te?articleId=USKBN0TV0RP20151212&slideId=1101882836#QGX2WAzQwciyBvye.

Well, it *was* a fake shooting... :cool:

Dagga Boy
12-13-2015, 08:57 PM
I don't necessarily think the fart people are anti-gun as they are anti stupid people with guns. Honestly, guys like the one with the SKS....I would not want him on campus armed either.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Must have been a combat anthropology or sociology major.

TR675
12-14-2015, 11:47 AM
I actually read an article about a combat anthropologist who served with the Armed Forces in Afghanistan. She seemed pretty squared away.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Actually, there was a program for such. The major anthropology association denounced it and pass a resolution that anthropologists should never work with the military. I asked one if we were attacked by Martians and faced an existential destruction of humanity would they try to help the military understand the enemy. That stumped her.

Sadly, one of the female anthropologists in Afghanistan was doused with gasoline and burned to death by an Afghani.

Currently, the American Anthropology Association voted about 1000 to 100 to ban interaction with Israeli academics. I like the field (physical anthropology particularly) but have no use for much of the its ideology.

This is a funny sociologist story. The Army holds continuing ed on campus for legal and med officers. Once I saw a soldier walking across campus with two M-16s slung on his back and carrying a tray of brownies. Wish I had a camera phone in those days.

Any, a bunch of them were going on 'patrol' across campus in two columns - air gunning. They go down on of the major lot driveways. The Sarge running the show waves his fist in some kind of signal and they hit the dirt, airgunnnig. They are all in gear but no guns. At this time, a female sociologist (gender not relevant just informational) drives into campus between the two columns. She sees the troops hitting the dirt and drives her car into a parked one. The giant Sarge jumps up and bellows: OH, Goodness Gracious!

You had to be there.

TR675
12-14-2015, 12:02 PM
I majored in phys Anth with a focus on archaeology. The cultural part of it was interesting but I could never understand how the relativism only applied to other cultures. The field has some pretty big blind spots IMO.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Physical Anthro is almost a different field from the cultural folks. When I did monkey visual physiology, we gave the cadavers to the Phys. Anthro for their labs. Unfortunately, I read that departments are down playing the physical side for the cultural.

TR675
12-14-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm interested in Revolver Robs take on this as he appears to be deep into the graduate side of this.

15 years ago at my alma mater not only did the phys and cultural Anth classes' content have bugger all to do with each other, but the phys profs looked down on the cultural ones as touchy feely, non scientific types. So did I.

Gadfly
12-14-2015, 04:10 PM

http://www.chron.com/about/article/ut-austin-texas-dildos-mass-farting-fart-protest-6694231.php
-----------------
"This is what the pro-gun demonstrators wanted, organizer Murdoch Pizgatti said, to show that a shooting can take place in a matter or seconds or minute while people are distracted by "their emotions."

Earlier Saturday, the groups held an open carry march near the area. It's legal to openly carry a long arm like a rifle in Texas. Come Jan. 1, it will be legal for licensed gun owners to openly carry their handguns, and concealed carry will be allowed in most buildings on public college campuses beginning August 2016.

Pizgatti, who was openly carrying a handgun Saturday, repeatedly cited a law passed in 2013 that protects those who "accidentally" expose their concealed gun. "Whoops!" he said, laughing."
---------------------

Yep, our open carry guys were once again playing right into the medias hands by looking like complete fools. I love the "let me flash my handgun and say Whoops so I can feel cool" actions by the "leader".... He is like a 5 year old holding his finger an inch away from his little sister and saying "I'm not touching you" just to annoy her...

These are the ones the media uses to scare folks against open carry.

GardoneVT
12-14-2015, 04:31 PM
http://www.chron.com/about/article/ut-austin-texas-dildos-mass-farting-fart-protest-6694231.php
-----------------
"This is what the pro-gun demonstrators wanted, organizer Murdoch Pizgatti said, to show that a shooting can take place in a matter or seconds or minute while people are distracted by "their emotions."

Earlier Saturday, the groups held an open carry march near the area. It's legal to openly carry a long arm like a rifle in Texas. Come Jan. 1, it will be legal for licensed gun owners to openly carry their handguns, and concealed carry will be allowed in most buildings on public college campuses beginning August 2016.

Pizgatti, who was openly carrying a handgun Saturday, repeatedly cited a law passed in 2013 that protects those who "accidentally" expose their concealed gun. "Whoops!" he said, laughing."
---------------------

Yep, our open carry guys were once again playing right into the medias hands by looking like complete fools. I love the "let me flash my handgun and say Whoops so I can feel cool" actions by the "leader".... He is like a 5 year old holding his finger an inch away from his little sister and saying "I'm not touching you" just to annoy her...

These are the ones the media uses to scare folks against open carry.

Part of our problem is that most gun owners aren't in it for self defense or civil rights, but pure exhibitionism.

We will have this problem so long as people feel important strapping an openly carried SR9 to their hip.