PDA

View Full Version : Hammer found cocked while carrying AIWB?

Colt191145lover
12-12-2015, 03:09 PM
Has anyone found there hammer in the cocked position while carrying AIWB?
Right now I'm carrying a SIG P226R and just had this happen ... not cool ! I always slowly reholster and use my thumb on the back of the hammer so I would have noticed something out of place. Only thought is I had to move some stuff this morning out the wife's car and I bumped it reaching into the trunk or my clothes snagged on it?
Any thoughts?

TGS
12-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Never.

You could bob the hammer as a precaution, if that interests you.

Colt191145lover
12-12-2015, 03:22 PM
In the back of my mind I have always wonder about the likelihood of what just happened with the SIG, due to the hammer that rebounds and rest back farther than other designs . I have not had any problems with the Beretta 92 or the CZ P07 I had ...

JodyH
12-12-2015, 03:23 PM
Right now I'm carrying a SIG P226R and just had this happen ... not cool ! I always slowly reholster and use my thumb on the back of the hammer so I would have noticed something out of place. Only thought is I had to move some stuff this morning out the wife's car and I bumped it reaching into the trunk or my clothes snagged on it?
Any thoughts?
Occam's razor says it was user error and you had it cocked when you holstered it.

But, if it truly cocked itself on your clothes that's a serious problem that I'd address with a bobbed hammer or a pistol with a manual safety and a holster that only lets you put the pistol in with the safety engaged.

JustOneGun
12-12-2015, 03:27 PM
Any thoughts?

I've seen many people holster a cocked weapon. I have seen two that put their thumb on a cocked hammer and holstered before I could stop them. I have never seen anyone snag a Sig and cock it by accident. I guess it could happen.

I have no idea if you did that or not. But we are all human and it can happen either way. It is a lesson learned for you and because you shared it, all of us. I practice even in dry fire to holster part way, look that the trigger is not snagged and then tilt the muzzle away from my body before completing the holster. IMHO that is a good idea AIWB, IWB or duty rig because while usually not fatal the idea of shooting myself in the ass and having it exit the knee is still not a good thing. LOL.

Colt191145lover
12-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Yes I would never rule out human error , especially talking about me ! I did tried to reholster with it cocked one time while dry firing months ago but felt it and saw it and stopped . It was just a eye opening experience this morning ! In reality being that it was holstered it was probably no worse than carrying a striker fired weapon, but that's not the point.
Slow down and be safe !

RoyGBiv
12-12-2015, 04:29 PM
P2KSK. DA/SA. Not yet happened to me. Certainly could see how that might happen if I forget to decock before holstering. I think I'd notice that the hammer isn't where I'm expecting it to be, but you never know. Thanks OP for the reminder.

breakingtime91
12-12-2015, 04:30 PM
I would bob the hammer. I enjoy carrying the p2000 series of gun in lem.. nothing to worry about besides my thumb over the hammer.

Colt191145lover
12-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Yup , if my hammers cocked on the SIG it hits my thumb in a very uncomfortable spot so I should have felt it . But as I have said I'm am not infallible so I would not rule that out ...

Colt191145lover
12-12-2015, 04:45 PM
A arm and nerve injury forced me to part ways with a HK P2000 and P30 both LEM and really have no reason to go try it again. Great quality but I never got to where I could shoot them as well as other handguns .
I'm in the process of putting a Beretta Px4 Compact though its paces with a plan to switch to that , I don't see its hammer being a issue.

ubervic
12-12-2015, 06:04 PM
This thread is yet another reminder that ingraining decocking during target dismount is key. I train on this, as well as pinning hammer during re-holster, daily.

LSP972
12-12-2015, 06:24 PM
A arm and nerve injury forced me to part ways with a HK P2000 and P30 both LEM and really have no reason to go try it again.

I'm quite curious about this. If you don't mind, could you provide details on exactly what problems you had manipulating an LEM that do not hinder your working a DA/SA Sig?

Colt191145lover
12-12-2015, 06:41 PM
I'm quite curious about this. If you don't mind, could you provide details on exactly what problems you had manipulating an LEM that do not hinder your working a DA/SA Sig?

Funny you should ask as it had stumped me and my Doctor at the time. Got hurt at work ,messed up my Ulnar nerve in my elbow that effected me down to the palm of my hand including my pinky , ring and middle finger. There were some tendon issues then as well... One of the most painful things was actually the magazine release on the HK (I used my trigger finger)was the big issue , not the weight of the trigger pull as much . The Beretta 92 of all things was the least painful of all fallowed buy the SIG even in DA . Glocks triggers were easy but the "hump" made it unshootable as the hump of the grip hit me right on that nerve. It was bad enough that I carried a second gun on my left side and had to go about a year with not shooting right handed . Getting back into shooting was like starting over from scratch , being that the Beretta and Sig were the least painful to shoot I decided to spend the next year or two focusing on mastering the DA/SA guns.

Back to the HK LEM, I just never shot it as well as other platforms to begin with and with the additional pain I got from them after I got hurt ,I just decided to part ways with them.

JV_
12-12-2015, 06:52 PM
I also had it happen with a 226 AIWB. I bumped in to the edge of a table and it cocked the hammer. I was on the range ... so it was easily resolved.

LSP972
12-12-2015, 07:03 PM
Back to the HK LEM, I just never shot it as well as other platforms to begin with and with the additional pain I got from them after I got hurt ,I just decided to parted ways with them.

Interesting. Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for the response.

SLG
12-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Never heard of that happening with a Sig, but not saying it couldn't. Seems awfully hard to manage though.

Are you sure it wasn't your clothing? Many years ago, NYPD officers found that their revolvers were sitting in their holsters, hammer back. After yelling at the first few guys, some tests were done and it turned out that their new patrol jackets were the culprit. The zipper had a split tab to help pull it, and the hammer was getting into the split and then getting cocked. They ditched the zipper pulls and the problem went away.

Colt191145lover
12-12-2015, 08:15 PM
I usually wear shirt tucked in under the gun and a hickory shirt over the top . But today I had a shirt tucked in under the gun and just a polartec fleece pullover over it . A possibility that could be a issue ?

RevolverRob
12-12-2015, 08:19 PM
You could check if your clothing can cock it, by unloaded the weapon and hooking clothing around the rebounded hammer and try cocking it. I too tend to think it was the Occam's Razor principle.

All that said, I don't think I can emphasize this enough. Put your gun in the holster - before you put the holster inside of your pants. This allows you to visually confirm the condition of the weapon, well in advance of it getting to your waistband and near your femoral artery. When you are practicing draws and reholster, use a blue gun - not a real gun. The only place you should be regularly reholstering a loaded gun AIWB is on a hot range.

-Rob

Rex G
12-16-2015, 10:05 PM
Well, I almost hate to mention it, but DAK is something to consider. I used a P229R DAK as a duty pistol from 2004 to 2015, and non-R P229 DAK for most concealed personal-time carry from 2006 to 2011 or 2012. My employer allows DA/SA, so DAK was my choice, when I switched from Glocks for the SIG's better fit in my hands. (I just switched back to Glock, when my chief OK'ed 9mm as an alternate duty pistol cartridge; Gen4 Glocks fit my hand well, compared to the Gen3 I had used previously.)

To speculate on your cocked-pistol incident, there is no way to know, with certainty, what happened, but a hammer is a hammer, and if it has a spur, and a single-action notch, it will work as designed if force is applied in the applicable direction. Either way, failure-to-decock, or unintentional cocking, an error occurred. I know, from personal experience, that failure-to-decock does happen. I have read multiple accounts of things snagging hammer spurs, usually revolver hammers, causing unintended cocking. Revolvers, if carried in tight holsters, will take some force to cock, as the cylinder must rotate against the resistance of the holster lining. Auto hammers are, comparatively, more free to move, with no associated parts to provide resistance.

The hardware solution would be a holster with a protective shroud. Any custom holster maker who offers a sweat guard option should be able to craft a rig with dual guards, or just an outboard brush guard. Look at the now-classic Milt Sparks 200AW to see a brush guard on a holster, though it is made only for revolvers. I have a 200AW to fit K-frames, such as my beloved S&W Model 19.

My personal experience with something brushing/pushing against a weapon, causing a safety problem, include a 1911 with an ambidextrous thumb safety, if worn on the right hip, or, if worn lefty, even a single-sided safety, being off-safed by bumping into, or brushing against things, or even my forearm moving against the safety while walking. Unintentional magazine releases have also happened, especially before the days of holsters being routinely molded to shroud mag release buttons, but also with heel-clip mag release levers.