PDA

View Full Version : Week 142: Leatham Three Grasp Drill

Mr_White
12-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Week 142: Leatham Three Grasp Drill

Results may be posted until January 11th, 2016.

Designed by: Rob Leatham
Range: 7 and 15 yards
Target: USPSA Metric
Start Position: Holstered
Rounds Fired: 12

This is a short test of gunhandling and shooting freestyle, strong hand, and support hand only.

Part one at the 7 yard line: At the start signal, draw and shoot two shots freestyle, two shots strong hand only, transfer to support hand only, and shoot two shots support hand only. All shots to the lower A-zone. Record your time and hits.

Part two at the 15 yard line: Same drill (draw and shoot two each freestyle, SHO, and WHO, six shots total), but targeting the 6x6" head box (A/B zone.) Record your time and hits.

Alternatively, if your range won't allow drawing from a holster, then start with the gun laying on the bench, slide forward on an empty chamber, but loaded magazine in the gun. At the start signal, retrieve pistol, rack slide, and shoot as previously specified.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol and holster used (or bench start if you did that), and concealment (optional)
7 yard line time and hits
15 yard line time and hits
Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

MVS
12-13-2015, 05:16 PM
Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol and holster used (or bench start if you did that), and concealment (optional) G19 w/RMR, Eidolon holster, pullover concealment
7 yard line time and hits First string cold; 8.33 seconds, -1 Ran more times with a fastest clean run of 6.38 seconds.
15 yard line time and hits First string; 13.99 seconds -1 Ran more times with a fastest clean run of 15.70 seconds.
Anything you noticed First time running the Eidolon holster. Didn't notice much of a difference between it and the Fricke I normally use. The 15 yard line seems an order of magnitude harder than the 7 when weak handed.

Mr_White
12-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Gen3 G34, Keeper, polo shirt
7 yards: 3.02, 4A 2C
15 yards: 6.95, 5A 1B

Anything you noticed: Wasted time at the 15 yard line when I took my support hand off the gun. I pulled my strong hand back a little and then had to re-extend it. 5A is luck on those 15 yard shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yI8hViH6HY

Range1
12-17-2015, 08:43 PM
M&P 9mm Pro Series, CompTac OWB strong side holster, Open front jacket and open frotn sweat shirt.
Shot it 3 times.
7 yards: 7.93 w/2 outside A; 8.36 Clean; 6.37 w/2 outside A zone
15 yards (screwed up and only counted hits if they were in the small A zone in the head): 11.41 w/5 outside A zone; 17.35 w/5 outside A zone; 15.63 w/4 outside A zone
Observations: Can tell I have not worked on my WHO especially and also my SHO shooting nearly enough. 15 yards to the small A or even the whole head box was very difficult. Have to work on getting a stronger firing grip and locking the arm out especially WHO. Really amplified my weaknesses.

Luke
12-20-2015, 04:07 PM
Pistol and holster used P30 V3 JM AIWB
concealment Yes, T-shirt
7 yard line time and hits run 1. 4.01 with 1 C. Run2. 5.45 clean.
15 yard line time and hits run1. 9.46 1 in lower A and 1 off target. Run2. 7.46 -3 off target

Anything you noticed?
The transition to single hand was weird after having shot two handed, WHO pass off was rather odd as well lol. Single handed accuracy at distance definitely needs work.

Clobbersaurus
12-20-2015, 08:54 PM
This was a hard drill for me. It was humbling in that I've worked on WHO and SHO hard over the past few months.

Beretta 92D Centurion, JMCK AIWB under a knit shirt, hands a sides
7 yards:8.72, 5A, 1C
http://i.imgur.com/WTo6pjul.jpg

15 yards: 15.11, 2 hits, 4 misses.
http://i.imgur.com/TjpzNvOl.jpg

Anything you noticed: 15 yards was hard. Really hard. I need more work.......much, much more work with SHO/WHO shooting. It was an odd sensation, to remove my WH from the gun and fire SHO.

Mickey
01-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Pistol and Holster used Sig P320 and the holster that came with it.
Concealment- carhart jacket
7 yard time 13.28 clean
15. Yard time 28.02 -1
My nightly dry fire routine has me do both strong/support hand only manipulations and I really think it helps me on this drill.
Although the times were glacial overall I was happy with this drill.
The pic below almost cuts off one of the 15 yard shots that just made it in.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/96d33e6abe9a946f9a61eac8c0820a9c.jpg