PDA

View Full Version : Relationship between rear sight dimensions and its visibility

Johnnyjak
12-09-2015, 03:17 PM
I was able to find fine information about rear sight notch and front sight dimensions. But nothing about overall rear sight width.
Many modern pistols have squared slide, which support nice big sights, but pistols with slant sided slide has more limited options.
I wonder if you find wide rear sights easier to see or you don't care about it. Thank you for your opinion.

johnson
12-09-2015, 04:31 PM
I've never given the width much though as I'm mainly concerned with putting the front post in the middle of the rear notch when aiming.

The CZ 75 has a fairly slim slide but the Tactical Rear Sight is wider than the dovetail so I don't think it's a matter of options (because of the slide profile), it just depends on how popular the gun is for sight makers to actually expand options.

http://czcustom.com/CZ-Tactical-Rear-Sight.aspx

Wondering Beard
12-09-2015, 06:24 PM
It doesn't make much if any difference to me, my focus is on the front, not the rear.

With Warren rear sights, there is, or was, some sort of scalloping of the outside of the rear sight which enabled you to see a little more of the target outside the sights. I don't know if there is any actual benefit to that as other sights (like HDs) haven't made me slow down.

Clusterfrack
12-09-2015, 06:39 PM
I like a fairly narrow notch and front post. What I do not like is a big fat rear sight that gets in the way--like many or most adjustable rears.

LSP552
12-09-2015, 09:25 PM
I don't think there is a right answer for everyone. So much related to sights is vision and preference driven, and that can change over time. For me today, the taller, larger rear with hi-vis front makes a difference. The larger rear helps me index the front faster and with greater accuracy. This wasn't always my preference, but at age 60 with sucky up close eyesight, it's works best for me. I'm not focusing on the rear, but the larger rear (and wide notch) helps me acquire the front in the notch faster.

In fact, I'm replacing almost identical Ameriglo Pro-Glo front/Pro Operator rears on some Glocks with the Trijicon HDs precisely because the large rear helps me acquire sight picture faster and more accurately.

41magfan
12-09-2015, 09:39 PM
Rear sight notch width is relative to the width of the front sight in terms of alignment and divergence, but with everything there is a trade-off. Larger sights (generally speaking) are easier to see and acquire but they obstruct more of the target than smaller, thinner sights. Less divergence means more potential for precise alignment but again, only the user can determine if that's a relevant issue.

The application and shooters visual acuity ultimately will determine what's acceptable.

YVK
12-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Never found the difference between Berettas (small and narrow rear sight) and HKs (big and wide rear sight). As mentioned above, the primary focus is on a front sight and those of comparable dimensions. Even small rear sights support wide rear notches if one desires, again Beretta being an example.