PDA

View Full Version : Misuse of PF Karma

StraitR
12-09-2015, 01:11 AM
I'm sorry, PFestivus is too far away, and this just gets under my skin. I don't like calling people out by name, but joining just for the free shit makes you a total gun forum Blue Falcon in need of recognition.

Four posts total, all four in Karma threads.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5815/23516701932_902d47a87e_b.jpg

BehindBlueI's
12-09-2015, 01:31 AM
FYI, vB cachessearches for a short period of time for database performance reasons, but they (the search results) aren't kept permanently. This my annoying way of saying that you can't link to search results on a vB site. Which is still an annoying way of saying that your link doesn't do anything. :)

Point of order, it does do something. It brings up a screen that says:

"vBulletin Message
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sunHMyVCVS8/To0ib9AthvI/AAAAAAAAAVg/N3IkG-xjiMw/s1600/semantics.png

:D

BehindBlueI's
12-09-2015, 01:35 AM
Don't make me start posting links to Ouchy the Clown. I'm not sure, but I think I'd have to ban myself.

Weellll, I instantly regret Googling that. Well played, Sir, well played indeed.

StraitR
12-09-2015, 01:52 AM
FYI, vB cachessearches for a short period of time for database performance reasons, but they (the search results) aren't kept permanently. This my annoying way of saying that you can't link to search results on a vB site. Which is still an annoying way of saying that your link doesn't do anything. :)

Damn you smart techy Tom!! :p

Edited original post to include SS instead of link instead or a link to their profile. I suppose he/she could start to become a more active member, and I'll erase the pic from my Flickr when the thread dies anyway, so no dirt left behind.

Hawk87
12-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Well my two cents,

I do a lot more reading then posting on this forum, mainly because there are a lot of guys that know more then me on this site. I try and contribute when subjects where I have knowledge or a unique perspective, but for most of the time I sit back and let people that have far more experience and knowledge do the talking. I think there are a lot of people that take the same approach, and honestly, I would hate to see that change as I feel it would decrease the quality of content on the site.

I get that it can be frustrating, and if we really wanted to fix it, I think that there is a way to make is so that users have to to have a certain number of posts to post in certain forums. I don't really think that would be a good idea though, because then you would have people posting stupid stuff just to get the required post numbers. The other option is to just restrict the giveaways to site supporters, which some people do already. Again, I think it should just be left up to the person giving the stuff away.

guymontag
12-09-2015, 09:48 AM
keeping the "derp" (BTW, I hate the term) at bay.

Now you know how I feel about the whole "kitten" thing. I'd rather vote for Clinton than listen to that again.

Either way, it's up to the karma giver to decide the parameters - site supporters only, must have a join date by "x", LE only, HK fans only, etc.

RoyGBiv
12-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Don't make me start posting links to Ouchy the Clown. I'm not sure, but I think I'd have to ban myself.

I'm not gonna ask, because I don't wanna know.
Please pass the eye bleach and remind me how to make Google forget I searched for that.

Rich@CCC
12-09-2015, 10:59 AM
"Got Leather?" I just had to look. I should know better!

I guess I'm one of "those guys" too! (content less posts that is)

Luke
12-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Yea I'm the exact opposite of what a good member is. I post a ton and have nothing to contribute :(

WobblyPossum
12-09-2015, 12:08 PM

First, holy crap dude, I just google that and I was not prepared at all.

Second, I think I just found my costume for Halloween 2016.

Third, and actually on topic, the person starting the karma thread has the option to restrict potential winners such as site supporters only, or must have a join date before xx/xx/xxxx, etc. I say let the OP make the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoyGBiv
12-09-2015, 12:09 PM
I'm going to tell you anyway. :) I worked in the SF Bay Area for about 5 years at the tail end of the .com boom (I got there about 6 months too late. All my coworkers drove Lotuses, Porsches, and BMWs. I drove an Isuzu). There are many "colorful" people in that part of the world and one of the guys I worked with was friends with Ouchy. I was told his real name is Toad.

Well.... On the TMI scale, that barely registered.... I'm both relieved and disappointed. :o

StraitR
12-09-2015, 05:32 PM
So, to be clear, if you're not the member in my original post, you were not in my thought process when I decided to make a thread. This was not a broad stroke criticism on how long people have been here or how much they contribute. This is a very specific case of someone joining less than a month ago and only posting for giveaways. There are opportunities for contribution that do not require a high level of technical knowledge or professional experience. Romper Room is a good place to contribute freely based solely on life experience and opinion.

I'm not campaigning for change or worried about who other people give their wares to, but I felt compelled to share as I think this person is taking advantage of the generosity of our membership.

nycnoob
12-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Urban Dictionary has this definition:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ouchy+the+clown

ouchy the clown

1. an evil clown who has his own website

2. dominatrix clown

3. prolific in humiliation

4. well versed in straight razor shaving - male and female

5. DJ

6. legitimate meeting mediator

I can't believe that ouchytheclown.com is a real dude on a real website. That is some sick shit.
by Bud E Love May 09, 2003

Rich@CCC
12-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Tom,
Eat a snickers

StraitR
12-09-2015, 06:28 PM
I know and I didn't mean to imply that you meant or wanted any of those things. I just felt compelled to reply to let you know I heard what your were saying and that I understand the feeling. I don't get a lot of sleep, and even when I do I'm not terribly coherent. :)

No worries, Tom. I wanted to clarify for everyone, as I didn't want anyone reading into to it too much. And I'm a night owl myself, last night I didn't even yawn until after 3am, so I get where you're coming from.

Can we just turn this into an Ouchy the Clown thread? :cool:

hufnagel
12-09-2015, 07:29 PM
Weellll, I instantly regret Googling that. Well played, Sir, well played indeed.

Cannot... Unsee... Must... Bleach... Brain...

hufnagel
12-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Tom,
Eat a snickers

https://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/051584e880a0fa16357864137354522e867f32-wm.jpg

MGW
12-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Note to self. Read entire thread before searching things you know not of. End note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk