PDA

View Full Version : Another Striker .40 Acquired: Heckler & Koch's VP40

JonInWA
12-08-2015, 03:23 PM
Okay, so the thread title should have read "...Heckler & Koch VP40....darn Shift key... [fixed -- TJ]

As I recently related in this thread on the forum https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17908-Recent-Acquisition-initial-Report-and-Assessment-Glock-Gen4-G22 I obtained a Glock Gen4 G22 in .40 S&W caliber to both "cover myself" in the event of a 9mm/.45 ACP ammunition shortage, as well as to run and test a Gen4 Glock. As related on the thread, to date I've been pleased with it, but somewhat wanted a pistol to that would allow me to compete in the new IDPA CCP division, which requires a barrel less than 4.2" in .40S&W.

The candidates considered were:

-Walther P5 (vintage, expensive, butt-heel magazine release, expensive magazines, acquired taste triggerpull-I've previously owned 3 or so of them...);

-Walther PPQ;

-Sigpro SP2022 (DA/SA);

-Steyr M1A1 (Interesting, but unsure if Steyr has finally manufactured a truly reliable Willi Bubits designed pistol without lurking gremlins in the machine...);

-FN FNS;

-Glock Gen4 G23;

-CZ P07;

-Heckler & Koch VP40.

The candidate field pretty quickly narrowed itself down to two serious contenders for me: The CZ PO7 and the HK VP40. The Walther P5 was simply too expensive, too limiting, and not in .40; the PPQ I never really seriously considered, due to descriptions of a too light trigger and potential/perceived issues with the magazine release; the Sigpro is a good gun, but has a high bore axis, lack of suitable grip adjustments to satisfy me (based on my previous experience with a Sigpro 2340), and somewhat hindered vis-a-vis the competition with its DA/SA trigger; the Steyr, while interesting, was eliminated due to potential quirkiness and its unique sight system (which I used decently on a previous M40, but which I decided was simply "too different" for me these days); the FNS due to some significant sight issues experienced with one owned by a very experienced shooting friend (the rear sight required milling down to to provide a decent center mass POA/POI-I didn't want the aggro potentially involved); the Glock Gen4 G23 was tempting, due to its commonality with my other Glocks as one of my primary platforms, but ultimately I decided that even in Gen4 guise, in .40 the "juice simply wouldn't warrant the squeeze" as discussed in DocGKR's duty ammunition thread.

The CZ PO7 was tempting-I have several friends that are very successfully running Cee Zeds, and in their PO7s and PO9 CZ provides each gun with a DA/SA decocker (the default set-up) as well as an optional manual safety DA/SA or SA set-up. One close friend has quite the little cottage industry going providing smoother PO triggers/trigger components/triggerjobs, which made it even more tempting.

But ultimately, I choose the Heckler & Koch VP40, for several reasons. First, HK simply has a superb reputation for quality-in terms of materials used and in assembly/quality control. While I consider my Glocks to all be problem free and fully capable, HK was a lurking temptation. And the VP pistols eliminated two of my previous significant qualms-they come with an intrinsically quite nice trigger/triggerpull, and they're priced competitively-on the high side of competitiveness, but still reasonably competitively.

Second, I liked the inherent adjustability inherent, what with their 3 backstraps and six side panels. While I've been well served by my Glocks, and still argue that within reasonable size/grip parameters shooteers can quickly adapt and adjust to most platforms, assuming they have somewhat decent intrinsic ergos, it's still nice to have the adjustability and grip customizing features provided out of the box by HK in the VP series.

Third. since the VPs use P30 magazines, magazines are both reasonably available, and fairly reasonably priced (in my neck of the woods, they're easily obtainable for $39). When previously considering HK pistols, the combination of high price, marginal triggerpulls, and limited availability (and expensive) magazines have hetrofor eliminated HKs from my ownership consideration (except for one P7 PSP that I owned in the 1990s for several years-but that's another story/thread).

Fourth, whether by deliberate design or fortuitous quirk, the VP40 barrel length barely squeaks past the IDPA 4.2" criteria-by a couple of hundredths of an inch....And, really neatly straddles the "duty gun/compact gun" parameters nicely, providing more than sufficient barrel length and sight radius to really shine without feeling compromised by one or the other category.

The one I chose was HK's "LE Configuration" providing the gun with 3 magazines and a set of Mepro Lite tritium nightsights. It's a nice package, at a very decent price savings-especially since I'd be needing a bare minimum of 4 magazines anyhow, and the Meps have a good day and night sight picture, as well as the now tactically requisite hook to perform interesting emergency reloads with one's belt, shoe phone heel, various bodily and physical appendages, etc. Essentially you're getting a $160 package for $100-and the $160 applies only if you don't have to pay extra for the sight installation. Another very nice plus is that I found the sights to be properly regulated out of the box, which was not the case with my new Glock Gen4 G22...

After the obligatory initial field stripping, cleaning and lubing, my initial firing, using predominantly Remington/UMC 165 gr cartridges, with some 18o gr Federal brass-cased HST was highly successful. The VP40 is an exceptionally easy gun to shoot, and shoot well. Triggerpull is excellent, with a short reset. After initially using a Tactical Tailor universal Low Profile holster (which initially worked quide well, but then I found some of the protrusion of the HK's levers/appendages would slightly catch on the internal seams on draws), Blade-Tech was good enough to very expeditiously make a one-off modification to one of their VP9 Nano IWB holsters for me (they actually have a VP40/VP40 mold/exemplar pistol on hand, and will be incorporating it into their regular production option list), which is very comfortable and effective for concealed carry and competiton. Once they get their mold guns, I'll likely have Olen Holsters make me one of their OWB rigs as well.

And the the backstrap/side panel customization. Over on the HKPro forum, with some judicious use of the Search function, I quickly discovered a very detailed thread guiding one of achieving the individually ideal backstrap/panel configuration-Here's the key take-out from the thread:

With leaving the side panels alone, swap out the different backstraps, while trying the following: Look at the target object with the pistol at your chest prior to press-out; Close your eyes and keep them closed; Press out the pistol to your natural extended shooting position; Open eyes and see where the front sight is vertically; If the front sight is too low, install a larger backstrap and repeat above steps; If the front sight is too high, install a smaller backstrap and repeat-Ultimately, you want the front and rear sights aligned for elevation on target naturally after your press-out. Then, for the side panels, install them for comfort and to get as much skin contact on the gun with a comfortable grip, as well as some people like the side panels to drive how their trigger finger lands on the trigger (and on the magazine release paddles)

The out-of-the-box HK default is a the Medium backstrap and Medium side panels. After experimentation, I switched things out to the Small backstrap, a Small left panel, and a Medium right panel; that seems to provide me with both the right natural sight alignment on draw and presentation, along with a superb feel and index. The adjustment is easily accomplished by drifting out the gun's backstrap retention/lanyard pin (although why HK uses a roll pin instead of a solid pin is beyond me, but it came out and was re-installed with no damage or drama with a good punch-I believe 3/32). Just in case, I've already ordered 2 spares, at only $1 apiece from HK Parts.

Interestingly, HK's RSA replacement interval for the flat-wired VP 40 RSA is at a minimum of 10K rounds-significantly less frequently than the 5,000-7,500 interval recommended by Glock for their Gen4 RSAs. However, the HK RSA goes for $27, which is significantly more expensive than Glock's Gen4 RSA as I recall-so if you factor in price, it may be a wash between the two.

So-Now I feel more than adequately covered by .40 chambered pistols for both real-world and competition needs. I plan in using the VP40 in this month's IDPA match; I'll keep the forum duly notified if anything of particular interest occurs. It appears to be an excellent gun; while I doubt I'll be significantly deviating from choosing Glock as my primary platform of choice, I am glad to have had the opportunity to acquire the VP40. I'll see how it does over time.

Best, Jon

GJM
12-08-2015, 03:34 PM
What is your thinking in choosing a .40 for CCP -- do you plan to reload .40 down for it?

JonInWA
12-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Absolutely no downloading of .40, and will just use factory new ammunition-Carry load will primarily be Federal HST 180 gr (the brass-cased variant) or Remington Golden Saber 165 gr (what I currently have on hand). Analog loads for competition use will be standard-pressure FMJ factory 180 gr or 165 gr stuff. In the December match I'll be running 180 gr Federal Champion Aluminum Cased (yeah, despite the HK manual's admonishment to avoid aluminum or steel cased ammunition-from what I've read, the aluminum cased stuff usually seems to run just fine). (But if anyone else's empirical experience on the forum dictates otherwise, definitely chime in. please).

FWIW, I use IDPA to help exercise my equipment and my self for the real world; it's my primary shooting venue. So no downloading-I'm less concerned about gaming/match rank placement than in building up my experience base.

Hey, it may be a flawed paradigm, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Best, Jon

JonInWA
12-08-2015, 03:57 PM
And, hey, I seem to recall someone on the forum with a reasonable amount of experience and credulity positioning .40 as a not unreasonable "woods carry" cartridge...

Another potential carry venue for my .40s...

Best, Jon

JodyH
12-08-2015, 03:59 PM
I have a P30L in .40 for ammo droughts and because I have a giant box full of bulk HST ammo.
H&K's handle .40 easily. Best brand for that caliber in my opinion.

JonInWA
12-08-2015, 04:13 PM
In the last drought my FN Hi Power Mk III in .40 handled it pretty well too. While the Hi Power's a keeper, I really wanted to venture out with something(s) a bit more modern chambered in .40-hence the Gen4 G22 and VP40.

So far, I'm pretty impressed (after my sole firing expedition to date) as to how the VP40 handles .40. It seems to dissipate the recoil to a significantly greater extent than the Glock (which isn't exactly onerous, either-but the comparison is certainly interesting).

Best, Jon

GJM
12-08-2015, 04:26 PM
Jon, reading this thread, it seems like it was written your your wife.

JonInWA
12-08-2015, 04:29 PM
I take the 5th...:cool:

Best, Jon

Patrin
12-08-2015, 07:04 PM
So far, I'm pretty impressed (after my sole firing expedition to date) as to how the VP40 handles .40. It seems to dissipate the recoil to a significantly greater extent than the Glock (which isn't exactly onerous, either-but the comparison is certainly interesting).

...better than my previous P229 .40. I almost want to go as far as saying that I like the VP40 recoil impulse better than the VP9, but, really, how can that be possible.:confused:

Good report, Jon.

JodyH
12-08-2015, 07:53 PM
My P30L .40 has softer recoil than my P2000 9mm.
But it's a P30L and currently has a 5.4 oz light/laser hanging off the front, so it's not really a fair comparison.

ReverendMeat
12-08-2015, 08:19 PM
I'm sure the VP40 is just fine. Of your list the only experience in .40 I have is the PPQ which was very unpleasant (though not because of the awesome trigger and mag release). Though just in case anybody else is considering picking up a .40 "just in case," my Cabela's has been selling (presumably police trade in) .40 SIG P226 DAKs for like 350 bucks.

Edit: Actually, now that you mention it, with my .40 PPQ I did have at least one 100% accidental double tap, assuming due to a combination of excessive recoil and short reset. I've put many more rounds through my PPQ 9 and that hasn't happened once. So.. good call.

Gadfly
12-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Where are these 229 DAKs for $350?? Link?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HCM
12-10-2015, 05:02 PM

Cheapest I found was $409- in Gonzales LA

http://www.cabelas.com/product/sig-sauer-p226-dak-40-s-w/2031394.uts?Ntk=GunLibrary&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26Ntk%3DGunLibrary%26Ntt%3DSIG% 252BDAK%26x%3D17%26y%3D22&Ntt=SIG+DAK

Dagga Boy
12-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Weird how HK figured out the slide should be a different size and weight for the .40. Maybe it's not just like a 9mm. I was very tempted by one the other day.

JBP55
12-10-2015, 08:23 PM
I purchased a new VP40 LE a while back to keep my VP9's company but have not fired it yet due to an injury earlier this year and recent surgery on my elbow.

TCB
12-11-2015, 09:10 PM
I've been running a VP40 as my LTD division gun for matches since they came out to make Major power factor over shooting minor with the 9's. With extra weight of the slide, Taylor Freelance magwell and their brass +5 (I'm only getting +4 to easily seat on a closed slide) it is an incredibly soft shooting pistol. I've got a 10-8 rear and Dawson FO front on it and am extremely happy with it. With my hand loads and the extra weight it feels like a 9 with factory loads.

ReverendMeat
12-11-2015, 10:23 PM

I went back to check again today and the cheapest I found was a DAO 229 for ~450 or so. Still not bad but it looks like the 226s are all gone. Also how I said 350, I think they were actually 370-380 but there's always opportunities for discounts, rebates etc at cabelas.

JonInWA
12-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Quick Update: I shot the VP40 in my local IDPA match on Saturday. The gun performed flawlessly in a 7 stage, approximately 115 round match. I decided to use Federal Champion's aluminum-cased 180gr FMJ, despite HK's recommendation against aluminum- and steel-cased cartridges (although I did bring 100 rounds of brass-cased Federal Champion and Winchester just in case problems with the aluminum-cased did develop). I had absolutely zero issues throughout the match-gun and ammunition both ran exceptionally well. The ergos of the VP are very nice, and I think I'm satisfied with my small backstrap/medium right grip plate/small left grip plate set-up, but I want to do some further testing and use to verify that it is the best for me.

Despite having a button magazine release on the vast majority of my pistols, I had no problems whatsoever in adapting to the HK paddle release, and found it to be both fast and secure. The Meprolight sights seemed quite decent-at least for my skill level.

Since my magazines were dumped in mud and muddy water throughout the match, I disassembled them as part of my cleaning and lubrication process, hitting the inside of the tube and the spring with a coating of Dri-Slide, and the exterior with a light film of Weapon Shield. The HK magazines are exceptionally well designed and manufactured, with a welded zipper back seam, and a rubber baseplate connected to a polymer inner floorplate, and having a hard polymer follower. They are also some of the easiest magazines I've encountered to disassemble and reassemble.

All in all, it was an exceptionally pleasant outing. Compared to my Glocks (and specifically to my Glock Gen4 G22), here are my comparative observations at this point:

1. Ergos on both guns are great. The Gen4's "cubids" do provide a slightly more secure grip, but the HK's multiple backstrap and side panels allow for more user fine-tuning of the grip profile and index;

2. The HK's outer finish is aesthetically superior to the Glock's matte black oxide outer finish, but both guns have metal treatment to preclude corrosion, so operationally it's probably pretty much a wash;

3. The Glock is slightly easier to re-holster, as the HK has a very blunt snout at the muzzle, and the aggressive rail on the HK actually protrudes forward from the bottom of the slide, differing somewhat from the P30 's front profile;

4. I slightly prefer the Glock Extended Slide release (which I have on all of my Glocks); the semi-recessed HK slide release worked flawlessly, but I would have preferred that it was slightly more protrusive.

5. The HK's triggerpull is significantly lighter that the triggerpull on my Gen4 G22 (using its OEM dot connector and coil trigger return spring); reset on the HK seems very short. I like both, but the HK's pull is significantly lighter and more of a single-stage pull.

6. I believe that the VP40 has significantly reduced recoil force directed back at the shooter's palm compared to my Gen4 G22. Since the HK uses a flatwire for their RSA compared to the Gen4 triple spring set-up, my thought is that either HK does a better job of tuning RSA to the pistol/cartridge, and/or the increased slide weight plays a significant role here. While the Gen4 G22 certainly isn't "hard" to shoot, the VP40 is easier to shoot and manage, in my opinion.

7. HK's metal magazines are far easier to disassemble than Glocks, but for me its not a game-changer either way. Both are quite effective in holding, managing and chambering rounds. Reloads are equally easily accomplished with both Glock and HK magazines. The street price in my are slightly favors the Glock magazines; they're about $5 less than the HK VP/P30 magazines.

8. Both guns are exceptionally easy to field-strip, clean and lubricate.

It's very interesting to compare the two concepts: The Glock's components are exceptionally simple and durable, and, as Todd G has famously commented, a retarded monkey can easily perform a detailed disassembly and reassembly of a Glock; the HK, not so much. The HK philosophy seems to be to significantly over-design and over-engineer each and every component so that they simply don't need replacing-but a much higher level of mechanical aptitude is requisite to do pretty much anything more than field-stripping and playing with the backstrap and side plates...

Which do I prefer? Dunno at this point. I need to spend more time on both platforms. While the HK grip options seem to provide me with a slightly better natural grip and sight acquisition/alignment, I am still intending to keep my Glock equipped with the medium/full beavertail backstrap alternative, as I feel it provides me with superior recoil management and steerability for the more aggressive recoil impulse inherent to the G22. Given 2 similar matches, I was a bit faster and more accurate with the HK VP40.

Best, Jon

NCmtnman
12-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the ongoing update.

With the change to the paddle mag release, have you decided on using your trigger finger, middle finger, or a combination with your thumb and one of the two? With the smaller mag release (P2000) I could only use my middle finger and even more so when wearing gloves. It was more consistent for me. With the P30's larger mag release I could easily use my trigger finger.

Like you, HK magazines have impressed me. Ease of use and durability were traits that I appreciated. I did run into some weak springs on a few mags at one point, but like many parts, these are consumable goods and I expected a change.

LSP972
12-23-2015, 11:12 AM
With the smaller mag release (P2000) I could only use my middle finger and even more so when wearing gloves. It was more consistent for me. With the P30's larger mag release I could easily use my trigger finger.

Score an HK45 Compact mag release and install it on your P2000. Night and day. Not quite as large as the P30/VP/HK45 paddle, but much better than the tiny standard paddle. Its a drop-in fit; I have it on all my USP Compact and P2000 pistols.

NCmtnman
12-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Score an HK45 Compact mag release and install it on your P2000. Night and day. Not quite as large as the P30/VP/HK45 paddle, but much better than the tiny standard paddle. Its a drop-in fit; I have it on all my USP Compact and P2000 pistols.

I would have but that particular P2000 was owned by the tax payers. Currently I'm looking for an LE HK P2000 9mm with the LEM setup and will do the paddle mag upgrade like you suggest. One problem that I did have with the stock mag release was developing a HUGE callous on my strong side middle finger from the mag release rubbing the knuckle. Not pleasant during a class or long dry fire sessions but I appreciate the design and will take it in place of having push button style for the time being.

JonInWA
12-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the ongoing update.

With the change to the paddle mag release, have you decided on using your trigger finger, middle finger, or a combination with your thumb and one of the two? With the smaller mag release (P2000) I could only use my middle finger and even more so when wearing gloves. It was more consistent for me. With the P30's larger mag release I could easily use my trigger finger.

Like you, HK magazines have impressed me. Ease of use and durability were traits that I appreciated. I did run into some weak springs on a few mags at one point, but like many parts, these are consumable goods and I expected a change.

I'd say more often than not I'm using my trigger finger to activate the right side magazine paddle release (I'm right-handed); I think that using the weak-hand (supporting) thumb on the left-hand paddle may be faster, but it's not quite as intuitive for me at this point, and I'll have to experiment, and then build up muscle memory on whichever seems to predominantly work best.

Best, Jon