PDA

View Full Version : Training with different pistols/calibers

holmes168
12-08-2015, 12:27 PM
I am new to this site and really appreciate the knowledge that is shared by the members.
I am working on improving my marksmanship using the drills and tips from other members. Currently, I am putting together a training plan for Q1 in 2016.
My question is- do you have different pistols that you train on and different calibers you train on? I've got 2 x 9mm and 1 x 45acp I would like to become proficient on with the Shield being my primary concealed carry in summer but would like to carry the 45acp in the winter/colder months.

Thanks for the help.

GardoneVT
12-08-2015, 12:30 PM
I am new to this site and really appreciate the knowledge that is shared by the members.
I am working on improving my marksmanship using the drills and tips from other members. Currently, I am putting together a training plan for Q1 in 2016.
My question is- do you have different pistols that you train on and different calibers you train on? I've got 2 x 9mm and 1 x 45acp I would like to become proficient on with the Shield being my primary concealed carry in summer but would like to carry the 45acp in the winter/colder months.

Thanks for the help.

Do you "rotate" carry weapons currently?

JHC
12-08-2015, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the help.

What kind of pistol are each of the 3? Are they alike i.e. all M&P?

Hauptmann
12-08-2015, 12:37 PM

The short answer is that you will maximize your shooting skill if you focus on training with one caliber and one pistol design. Spreading your training time over multiple calibers and pistol designs will slow your progress, increase training time, and increase your training costs.

okie john
12-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Good advice thus far.

I suspect that you’re overthinking the hardware aspect of this and underthinking the software aspect.

I’d base a training plan on a list of goals and the metrics by which you’ll measure your performance. Drills are a good way to do this, as the ones on PT all include accuracy and time components. This could be a 10-second El Pres, a 6-second FAST, a 550-point Humbler, etc. You can add complicating factors like SHO or WHO, shooting on the move, etc.

From there, I’d pick one pistol and work until I could meet the standards I set for myself. This ultimately makes it easier to meet the standard because you start to handle your pistol with less and less need for conscious thought, which frees up space to think about what you’re actually doing.

Once you meet your goals, you can start switching pistols if you like, but you’ll probably realize that it’s not as good an idea as you originally thought.

To answer your original question, yes, I do train with other pistols from time to time. The main reason is that I’m looking for something that’s easier to shoot well than a Glock. Another is that spending serious time on another system helps me shoot the Glock better, which raises the standard for the first reason.

It’s kind of a self-licking ice cream cone, but there are worse problems to have.

Okie John

holmes168
12-08-2015, 12:55 PM

The 3:
S&W Shield 9mm- primary concealed
Walther PPQ M2 9mm- midsized
Springfield XDS .45acp- would be a secondary concealed

My thought was to train heavier on the Shield while learning how to shoot the Springfield. They are pretty much the same size and I can conceal each. The Walther is a pistol that I really enjoy shooting and it's very comfortable with the great trigger. I'm not looking to compete but do want to be a much better shooter fundamentally.

Long term- I think the Springfield would be my preferred carry pistol but I've only put 200 rounds through it so far.

Again- thank you for the quick answers!

JHC
12-08-2015, 01:10 PM
The 3:
S&W Shield 9mm- primary concealed
Walther PPQ M2 9mm- midsized
Springfield XDS .45acp- would be a secondary concealed

My thought was to train heavier on the Shield while learning how to shoot the Springfield. They are pretty much the same size and I can conceal each. The Walther is a pistol that I really enjoy shooting and it's very comfortable with the great trigger. I'm not looking to compete but do want to be a much better shooter fundamentally.

Long term- I think the Springfield would be my preferred carry pistol but I've only put 200 rounds through it so far.

Again- thank you for the quick answers!

I train with one of many possible Glock options every week. They all have triggers very much alike; nothing exotic, just minus connectors and a couple with dot connectors but they all fall into the 5-5.5 lb range except for a new G26 that is a bit heavier.

But when I borrow someone's pistol with a much lighter trigger I have a fair bit of acclimating to do with it to avoid firing at index before I finish truing up the sights - at least in shooting quickly.

From the impression I've gotten from dry firing a couple Shields and a few PPQs, the transition from Shield to PPQ would probably give me some issues.

voodoo_man
12-08-2015, 01:16 PM
I carried a g21 on duty and a 19 off duty for years (not my choice) and i practiced with both. I am part of the "a glocks a glock" thought that as long as the gun is relatively the same itll work about the same. Of course i was more accurate and faster with a 9mm, which prompted me to go to a 17 on duty (after the gave the choice).

JodyH
12-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Train with one and recreationally shoot a variety.
You'll get the maximum benefit out of training with your carry gun and become a better, more well rounded shooter overall by spending some recreational trigger time with a variety.

Mr_White
12-08-2015, 01:56 PM
I think there is a variety of experiences people have here. Sticking with one gun for a long time on one gun can get you deep familiarity with that gun. Using different guns will make you learn things from dealing with their differences. That second approach might not be well suited to a shooter with undeveloped fundamentals.

Mack
12-08-2015, 02:09 PM
All the advice here is spot on, I thought I would share some personal experiences; a number of years ago I used to shoot various calibers from various pistols (mostly Glocks) and when I made the switch to only shooting 9mm Glocks I ended up going out and training much more because of the cost savings and got more training value out of my range sessions because I was always shooting exactly what I carried, whether at work, BUG, or off-duty.

I can also attest that caliber standardization has helped my agency tremendously, prior to the standardization we had guys shooting 9/40/45 Glocks. The decision was made to shoot 9mm only. The cost savings associated with shooting only 9mm has allowed us to implement monthly live fire training and as an instructor I am seeing a dramatic increase in collective shooting ability.

If you are fairly new to defensive handgun shooting I would strongly encourage you to pick one platform in one caliber. I am a Glock guy so its easy the full-size, compact, and sub-compact offerings are all very similar in regards to trigger and control placement, the only real variable is grip size and sight radius. Standardizing what you shoot is going to be very beneficial in increasing your skills, have you considered using your PPQ as your primary carry gun? I noticed you said you enjoyed shooting it, concealing a compact sized pistol is really not at all difficult plus it has many advantages over a small single stack.

cheby
12-08-2015, 02:13 PM
Switching guns has been very useful in my experience. While it could be frustrating at times, it also helped to identify some problems with my fundamentals. For example, sometimes I could get away with a bad grip while shooting 9mm. Shooting .40S&W for a little while would show this weakness right away.
I agree with Mr_White though - it might not be well suited to a shooter with undeveloped fundamentals.

LSP972
12-08-2015, 03:23 PM
I agree with Mr_White though - it might not be well suited to a shooter with undeveloped fundamentals.

Indeed. My "circle of shooting pals" includes some very, VERY experienced shooters, along with some moderately experienced ones, and a few nimrods. The guys/gals with a lot of time behind a pistol manage to do well with anything put into their hands. And that, no doubt, is due to a solid fundamentals base. Newer shooters need to build such a base before "rotating" their chosen system.

GJM
12-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Shooting more than one platform at a time will get you killed on the street faster than having more than one girlfriend at a time.

Maple Syrup Actual
12-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Nice.

I have no choice about shooting a ton of different stuff and I know I was better when I just shot a glock.

But I enjoy shooting more now.

So pick your poison, but consider where you're at in the learning curve. Are you comfortable enough to drive in heavy traffic and parallel park smoothly downtown on a rainy night? Then go drive another car for a bit and see how you like it.

If don't know when you'll lose traction in the corner, maybe focus a little more on the fundamentals with a single vehicle for now.

cheby
12-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Shooting more than one platform at a time will get you killed on the street faster than having more than one girlfriend at a time.

If you stay away from the food courts, you'll be fine.

Wondering Beard
12-08-2015, 04:12 PM

I don't know about 'faster' but certainly less painfully

Glenn E. Meyer
12-08-2015, 05:31 PM
My FOG civilian opinion is that I maintain core competence with Glocks in 9mm. However, I will practice periodically with my 1911, G42 or 642. The latter may be used as a carry gun depending on unknowns (but the last two are due to dress considerations). While intense skill increments suggest focus on one, I think that today a competent individual should be able to shoot different platforms to a reasonable level as you never know what you may pick up in the fog of a critical incident.

I don't practice much with my SW Model 19 - I should. But only so much time and money.