PDA

View Full Version : Training Journals Question

MGW
12-08-2015, 09:18 AM
What's your preferred method for keeping a shooting journal? Online? Hard copy? Data base? What kind of data do you keep track of during range sessions? Do you track dry fire practice? Do you track your preferred drills in the same journal or separately?

Next question is how do you keep track of round counts for your different fire arms? Looking back through some of Todd's rest firearm reports it looks like he was using a spread sheet of some kind.

I have workout journals going back for years. I've yet to figure out a good system for keeping track of my training for shooting though. I'm making a focused effort to improve but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels because I'm not doing a good job of tracking data.

I would appreciate any help I can get. If you have a resource you can direct me to I would appreciate it. I've been considering picking up Mike Seeklander's competition or defensive training programs. From what I've read it's a really good program for building skill over time. Anyone have experience with either of his programs?

Tons of questions here I know. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

CCT125US
12-08-2015, 10:57 AM
I keep track of everything in Excel. Standardize on format, example F.A.S.T. / FAST / the fast, so it can be sorted. I have columns for date, firearm (ex) HK P2000 S#xxx, ammo mfgr, type, weight, session round count, drill / test / practice, distance in yards, position (concealed, ready, etc), action (draw and fire 2), par time, results, maintenance, observations. I can sort how I choose and extract anything I want. It just gets messy when you shoot multiple guns with a variety of ammo and drills. It just depends on how detailed you want get.

Sal Picante
12-08-2015, 05:58 PM
I just let USPSA track my classifiers. Ditto when I used to shoot Bullseye/PPC.

When I practice, I'll go in with an intent (usually on classifiers) and keep in mind some base times on draws/transitions/movement. I post more about qualitative feel than just numbers. A lot of my journal is just to keep me motivated, not necessarily for others to chime in.

I also don't track service record of a pistol very much - I just change all the springs on my practice gun ~quarter.