PDA

View Full Version : Local AWBs are good to go!

Glenn E. Meyer
12-07-2015, 11:55 AM
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/scotus-assault-weapons-ban-216485

The Supreme Court decided on Monday that it would not take up a challenge to a local law banning semi-automatic assault weapons and large-capacity magazines in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park, Illinois.

In doing so, the court upheld a decision from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit that the city's restrictions did not infringe upon the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, avoiding the prospect of a politically-charged fight over gun rights at the highest court in the land. The decision to deny the case follows months of intensified debate over gun safety and the prevalence of guns, including in last week's terrorist attack in San Bernardino, California. Those weapons were purchased legally.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/scotus-assault-weapons-ban-216485#ixzz3tee2wQoZ

So reasonable restrictions will be used to ban evil guns in many locals. While an AWB across the country may not get through Congress, it seems that they are constitutional for the moment. I said from the beginning that Heller was the greatest thing ever. An area could keep you to a SW Model 10 and double barrel shotgun or just the latter.

So much for the modern sporting rifle BS! Worked well!

PS - I made a mistake in the OP which I edited. I said something incorrect about Scalia but it this case he joined with Thomas in dissenting. My bad. I do think reasonable restrictions will have a life of its own. Where were other justices though?

JDM
12-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Thank goodness for state preemption laws.

A city in New Mexico tried this bullshit a couple years ago and was summarily stomped by the state AG.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Yeah - but a good decision could have voided state laws like NY. In a state with a dominant set of urban areas - you lose the whole state.

PNWTO
12-07-2015, 12:51 PM
In a state with a dominant set of urban areas - you lose the whole state.

Welcome to WA. Fortunately we have some great assets. But, we also have Open Carry WA parading around Olympia and Seattle from time to time, and that usually works out real well... Washington has had some legislative successes in the past few years but the dominant counties are all California 2.0.

GardoneVT
12-07-2015, 12:55 PM
It would seem the SCOTUS has followed Pontus Pilate's example. Whatever the mob decides, good or bad, is what will stick with regard to gun laws near you.

Dagga Boy
12-07-2015, 01:16 PM
I wonder if we tried to limit Islamic assault speech in just a small area if that would fly. May be worth a shot.

Drang
12-07-2015, 01:18 PM
It used to be, if the Supreme Court declined to take a case, it was probably because the plaintiff lacked standing, the issue was clear, or it was not a significant test of a Constitutional principle, or something like that.
Nowadays it's probably because the Chief Justice is a coward.

PNWTO
12-07-2015, 01:55 PM
I wonder if we tried to limit Islamic assault speech in just a small area if that would fly. May be worth a shot.

Or the #BLM crew continuously calling for and outright encouraging more blood on the Thin Blue Line?

Jeep
12-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Nah--there is no such thing as offensive Islamic speech, don't you know? Now if you banned tea party speech you would have half the federal judges in the country writing opinions about how that it is fully in keeping with the 1st amendment. And banning NRA speech? Four justices are signed up for that opinion right now.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-08-2015, 10:44 AM
An analysis of the issue:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569997

Doesn't sound that hopeful to me. But a lawyer, I'm not.