PDA

View Full Version : Why do I still lust after an ACOG?

StraitR
12-06-2015, 09:38 PM
I have no real reason to, no history with one other than a short foray with a compact in the 90's on an HBAR Colt. I have and like my TR24 1-4 as well as T-1's and T-2's, but I constantly find myself shopping for a TA33G-H. Latest deal I found was on Dvor.com for $799 with TA60 mount, and I'm so tempted to buy one for my 300 BLK hunting build. It has the 223 ballistic reticle, but I've plugged in both 110gr supers and 220gr subs into Strelok and the hash marks are useful holdover numbers.

I know I can get another good LPV option with ACOG money, but there's something about them that calls to me. Maybe the simple ruggedness? Anyone still using ACOG's these days?

PNWTO
12-06-2015, 10:06 PM
I get the urge a few times a years to do the typical "M4-gery" build of what my issued rifle was. The whole meal deal. But when I think about the ACOG I had and how it would roll over to use now now:

I hate the eye relief.

Not a big fan on BDC reticles now that I have to pay for my ammo and can experiment a little.

For the price, IME/IMO, you can do better.

HCM
12-06-2015, 10:10 PM
I've been using them since the 1990's- I have 3 of them a TA-01 4x, a TA31 4x and a TA-11 3.5x .308. I also have a TR-24 G. All but the TA-01 were bought used. The ACOGs just work for me, especially now that age related presbyopia has given me a bit of astigmatism and I don't see crisp Aimpoint dots like I used to.

The 3x30 and 3.5 ACOGs are much more forgiving but the 4x is workable. There is a new spacer called The KRAM it's like a reverse cantilever. It raises the optic and moves it further back to compensate for the limited eye relief of the 4x models. I can still see the Aycock reticules pretty well even without my glasses but one big advantage to the TR-24 is the ability to adjust the diopter / focus.

GJM
12-06-2015, 10:24 PM
Out west, where the sun is bright, I prefer a red element as the green is so bright it blooms unless I partially cover the fiber intake with tape.

JHC
12-07-2015, 07:38 AM
I've only shot at 600 yds once and it was with a 16" Bushie and TA01 from prone. With almost zero long range rifle experience I just stuck that 600 hashmark on the bull and hammered it, including multiple consecutive hits on the hit marker. I'm a big fan of ACOGs and their BDC.

Mike C
12-07-2015, 08:24 AM
I am with HCM, I still have a few and still use them. I know that variable power is all the rage but they still work great for what they are and as long as you're playing with ammo close enough for what they were designed to use you will be pretty close with the BDC. You can also figure out what your holder overs/unders are by using a ballistic calculator and confirming at distance. Same deal as with iron sights.

Edited to add:

They are also pretty freaking rugged. Never had a huge zero shift or broke one due to regular use like I did many other issued optics.

JHC
12-07-2015, 08:45 AM
I've not seen any zero shift with the TA01 I had or the TA33 my son has. However for a shot time I had one of the 1.5X tinies and while I loved it, I did see a bit of zero shift - not just with removing it and replacing it on the rifle but just week to week leaving it on the rifle (Larue QD mount). A shooting buddy who has come across a pretty good number of them in his post Infantry contracting gigs has told me in general "they" ran into a fair amount of zero shift issues with 2x ACOGs but none to speak of with the larger bodied 4X models. FWIW.

Mike C
12-07-2015, 09:40 AM
I've not seen any zero shift with the TA01 I had or the TA33 my son has. However for a shot time I had one of the 1.5X tinies and while I loved it, I did see a bit of zero shift - not just with removing it and replacing it on the rifle but just week to week leaving it on the rifle (Larue QD mount). A shooting buddy who has come across a pretty good number of them in his post Infantry contracting gigs has told me in general "they" ran into a fair amount of zero shift issues with 2x ACOGs but none to speak of with the larger bodied 4X models. FWIW.

JHC, when using one of the mini's did you ever have and shifts with a non-qd mount, also how did it hold up? I ask because I have been kicking around the idea of one for a while now. The Aimpoints are blurry for me now so I was thinking that one of those would fit the bill pretty well. Thanks.

JodyH
12-07-2015, 11:10 AM
I haven't seen any shift on my TA33's or my TA44 Mini using LaRue and Bobro mounts. That includes temp swings from below freezing to 80 in one day and bouncing around in a UTV and hundreds of rounds of .308.

JHC
12-07-2015, 11:47 AM
JHC, when using one of the mini's did you ever have and shifts with a non-qd mount, also how did it hold up? I ask because I have been kicking around the idea of one for a while now. The Aimpoints are blurry for me now so I was thinking that one of those would fit the bill pretty well. Thanks.

I only had the Larue mount for it and to JodyH's point of good luck with his - I'm fairly certain the issue was in that particular copy of the mini-ACOG. But as you observed, for my eyes they beat the electronic sights hands down.

HCM
12-07-2015, 01:25 PM
As I stated earlier, I prefer the 3x and 3.5x due to the more forgiving eye relief and eye box. For those of us who already have 4x ACOGs there is a new option- the KRAM mount - it's basically a reverse cantilever mount which raises the ACOG and pushes it further back to mitigate the eye relief issue.

http://www.macedondefense.com/the-kram.html

http://theballisticblog.com/2015/02/03/product-review-macedon-defense-kram/

HCM
12-07-2015, 01:29 PM
http://youtu.be/1lx9E8pSWq0

Mike C
12-07-2015, 04:01 PM
I appreciate the input JHC & JodyH, I guess maybe I'll be getting around to picking one up, hopefully I'll get lucky and find one on sale this month.

StraitR
12-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Well, at least I now know that I'm not alone. Thanks guys.

breakingtime91
12-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Well, at least I now know that I'm not alone. Thanks guys.

If I would do a "truck" gun, I would get an ACOG. I may actually just pick one up so I can build a rifle around it...

Lost River
12-07-2015, 11:28 PM
I bought a TAO1 with the standard reticle in preference to the horse shoes and other reticles. I have found it to be a pretty practical optic for general purpose use in the rural west. A few coyotes have gone to the great rabbit filled field in the sky due to the TAO1.

Dagga Boy
12-07-2015, 11:56 PM
I have been using ACOGs since they came out (my first had a three digit serial number). I love them as a mid range optic. They suck for close range and indoor work, so my favorite set up is using the ACOG with an offset Aimpoint micro.

Failure2Stop
12-08-2015, 12:35 AM
While I'm a pretty vocal critic of the ACOG line, loss of zero attributable to the optic itself is not one of my complaints.

I prefer the 3x and 3.5x over the 4x line. Of the 4x, I prefer the TA01 type.

They do have their place.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba
Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff

StraitR
12-08-2015, 12:22 PM
So, I get the bug to buy an ACOG several times a year, but this time I'm actually searching for an optic.

My application is putting it on a 16" 300 BLK build that I now have all the parts accumulated sans optic. The purpose is hunting, so lightweight, lowlight usefulness, and simple ruggedness is what I'm after. Hogs, deer, and song dogs in central FL are the mission. Based on the 10 acre property most visited for deer/yotes, 25-200 meters is a safe range estimation, with setting up blinds for shots at 50-100 being the goal. Hog hunting varies by location, and I've not been with any consistency, so I'm not putting a lot of weight into this being geared toward what works best for hogs.

While I love the brightness, FOV, and clarity of my TR24, I don't care for the triangle reticle in this application, although I'm confident I could mark the elevation turret for longer distances and make it work. So realistically, I could use the TR24, but I like it on my SR15 and would prefer a dedicated optic on the 300 BLK. Also, our normal time frames usually involve failing light, which all but kill using a T-2 irregardless of being a 1x.

Definitely looking at the 3x or 3.5x, but leaning toward the 3x for weight. I've also considered a Trijicon Accupower or Leupold VX-R in 2-7/3-9. Any additional input based on that would be appreciated.

JHC
12-08-2015, 12:34 PM
I fancy the TA11 with a green or red crosshair as the ultimate ACOG but I've never been willing to pay that price.

M2CattleCo
12-09-2015, 01:40 AM
I love the TA31 with the horseshoe dot reticle. With a 16" 5.56 the reticle is super close out to 4-500M with most any 55-77gr load if you zero accordingly.