PDA

View Full Version : Chanukah

Dagga Boy
12-06-2015, 12:16 PM
I think I have posted this before, but here is the Chanukah story a little different than most learned it:

Chanukah

Tonight we remember the liberation of the Temple by the Maccabees… Chanukah is not about turning the other cheek, that is not a Jewish virtue, It celebrates victory in battle… 162 years BCE Israel was occupied by Greeks, The Seleucid Empire… They had a massive professional army of 80,000 men in arms occupying Judea… The Greek army was armed with the most advanced arms of the day including phalanxes of spearmen, heavy chariots , ballistae, and war elephants… It was an unbelievable force and nothing in Israel could stand against it in conventional battle…*

One man and his five sons decided rather than live under the yoke of the Greeks, that they would take to the hills and fight… Others joined them and they began to train an army… They smithed swords and shields and used captured Greek weapons to arm themselves … They called their new army The Maccabees which is Hebrew for Hammer… The Greeks hunted them, and vowed their destruction, but the rigid Greek formations could not maneuver in the rugged broken terrain in the hills outside of Jerusalem. In battle the very mobile Maccabee Light infantry refused to charge the formidable the Greek front lines… Instead they charged the flanks, and they hit them like a hammer… When the Greeks would reform to face this new threat, the Israelis would fall back then attack from a different direction before the Greeks could react… Entire Greek columns were slaughtered to the last man this way in the hills surrounding Jerusalem… With every battle, The Maccabees were getting stronger and the Greeks were getting weaker… Soon bulk of the Maccabees were armed with captured Greek weapons…*

As the Greek s losses were mounting, they soon realized that they were in danger of losing the city, so they called for help from their allies, the Syrians… The Syrian Army sent a relief column to assist the Greeks in Jerusalem but when the Syrian scouts saw how the tide had turned, the Commanding General of the Syrian column promptly returned to Syria with his entire army to deal with some urgent internal matters…

In a massively bloody battle, the Maccabees laid siege to Jerusalem and retook the city from the Greeks house by house, street by street, and block by block… As soon as the Temple Mount was liberated, the Cohens that were with the Maccabees set out to purify the Temple Mount even as the battle raged in the streets below… The miracle of Chaanuaka is when the only kosher lamp they had with them was lit by the Cohen on the Temple Mount… It burnt as the Maccabees slowly defeated the remains of the Greek garrison and liberated all of Jerusalem…

So when we light a candle we are remembering the warriors who died in battle fighting hand to hand in the blood soaked streets of Jerusalem for eight days and nights in the shadow of lamp light shining down from the Temple Mount … A lamp that with only one days worth of oil, stayed lit for eight days and nights until all of Jerusalem was free…

RoyGBiv
12-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Happy Chanukah Snowflake!

voodoo_man
12-06-2015, 03:31 PM
I prefer Hannukah. ;)

Johnny Walker
12-06-2015, 04:11 PM
I think I have posted this before, but here is the Chanukah story a little different than most learned it:

Chanukah

Tonight we remember the liberation of the Temple by the Maccabees… Chanukah is not about turning the other cheek, that is not a Jewish virtue, It celebrates victory in battle… 162 years BCE Israel was occupied by Greeks, The Seleucid Empire… They had a massive professional army of 80,000 men in arms occupying Judea… The Greek army was armed with the most advanced arms of the day including phalanxes of spearmen, heavy chariots , ballistae, and war elephants… It was an unbelievable force and nothing in Israel could stand against it in conventional battle…*

One man and his five sons decided rather than live under the yoke of the Greeks, that they would take to the hills and fight… Others joined them and they began to train an army… They smithed swords and shields and used captured Greek weapons to arm themselves … They called their new army The Maccabees which is Hebrew for Hammer… The Greeks hunted them, and vowed their destruction, but the rigid Greek formations could not maneuver in the rugged broken terrain in the hills outside of Jerusalem. In battle the very mobile Maccabee Light infantry refused to charge the formidable the Greek front lines… Instead they charged the flanks, and they hit them like a hammer… When the Greeks would reform to face this new threat, the Israelis would fall back then attack from a different direction before the Greeks could react… Entire Greek columns were slaughtered to the last man this way in the hills surrounding Jerusalem… With every battle, The Maccabees were getting stronger and the Greeks were getting weaker… Soon bulk of the Maccabees were armed with captured Greek weapons…*

As the Greek s losses were mounting, they soon realized that they were in danger of losing the city, so they called for help from their allies, the Syrians… The Syrian Army sent a relief column to assist the Greeks in Jerusalem but when the Syrian scouts saw how the tide had turned, the Commanding General of the Syrian column promptly returned to Syria with his entire army to deal with some urgent internal matters…

In a massively bloody battle, the Maccabees laid siege to Jerusalem and retook the city from the Greeks house by house, street by street, and block by block… As soon as the Temple Mount was liberated, the Cohens that were with the Maccabees set out to purify the Temple Mount even as the battle raged in the streets below… The miracle of Chaanuaka is when the only kosher lamp they had with them was lit by the Cohen on the Temple Mount… It burnt as the Maccabees slowly defeated the remains of the Greek garrison and liberated all of Jerusalem…

So when we light a candle we are remembering the warriors who died in battle fighting hand to hand in the blood soaked streets of Jerusalem for eight days and nights in the shadow of lamp light shining down from the Temple Mount … A lamp that with only one days worth of oil, stayed lit for eight days and nights until all of Jerusalem was free…

Thanks for the history lesson and the reminder of my days in So Cal. Many of my neighbors were of Jewish decent and I recall Hannukah, the solid blue lights decorating the homes, the Star of David flag hanging from the houses, the dreidels, etc. 7 days eight nights as I recall learning. And now I finally see the tie in with a certain Model 25-5! My friends read from the Book of Judith if memory serves and ate potato cakes and cheese dishes.

Happy Hannukah ( Chanukah ) amigo.

Jay Cunningham
12-06-2015, 04:30 PM
I have always enjoyed the fact that many Jewish holy days are actually celebrations of massacres. The story behind Purim is really sumthin - probably a more important question than "Who is John Galt?" is "Who is Amalek?"

Hopefully I'm not Amalek...

RJ
12-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Great story Nyeti.

Son and I were on our Philmont Backpacking Trek in the Sangre de Cristo mountains in NM together in 2010 with the Boy Scouts.

Tradition is that before you start on the trail (our trek was 10 days, 68 miles, 14,500' max el on Mt Phillips with base camp at 6,600') you attend a service 'not' in your Faith, the night before you start out.

We ended up in the Rabbi's group. After making us all feel comfortable, he explained the service and what was going to be said. The book was also in Hebrew, but it translated in English at the back. Phew. :) We really enjoyed it.

I sometimes wish we would 'exchange churches' during the holidays at home, more like this; might make for better understanding amongst us all.

Happy Hannukah.

Rich

breakingtime91
12-06-2015, 05:43 PM
Very cool. My wife and I are not followers of Judaism but we have a party every year to celebrate Hanukkah. My wife is really something and takes the time to understand different cultures and heritage, everyone really enjoys the party and knowledge that is spread.

WobblyPossum
12-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Happy Hanukkah everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LSP552
12-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Thank You. I love warrior history!

eyemahm
12-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Great telling, nyeti.

It begs the question - why did you call your revolver the Hebrew hammer instead of the Macabee?

Dagga Boy
12-06-2015, 11:09 PM
First, I didn't write it. It was sent to me by a fellow tribe member and shooter. The Hebrew Hammer grew out of a comment to my anti-Semitic FTO by another officer about me using my Long Colt like a hammer, and I simply chimed in with "a Hebrew Hammer" to piss off my FTO (same one who referred to me as Kike my entire time in training). It simply fit.

I just got a Brockman 45-70 lever gun....that will probably get called Macabee..;-)

Robert Mitchum
12-07-2015, 01:12 AM
http://www.popscreen.com/v/6rvtn/Goldberg-Celebrates-Hanukkah

Dagga Boy
12-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Goldberg, the greatest wrestler ever.
I will be using schumky putz's again..thanks for the video.

serialsolver
12-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Thanks for sharing that story.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-07-2015, 11:41 AM
One good thing, I can break the wife's prohibition on eating too much chocolate with Chanukah gelt and chocolate menorahs!

For old farts - did anyone see Walter Cronkite wishing us Happy ChaahNoooKah! Years ago!

RoyGBiv
12-07-2015, 05:36 PM
Today's version of the Hanukkah Miracle..

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/971532_668499263174852_1535415305_n.jpg?oh=f3a94c9 3b7714b3adbf94c4b966102f3&oe=571CA5D7

LHS
12-07-2015, 05:55 PM
I'm not Jewish, but I have long enjoyed spending the first night of Chanukah with one of my closest friends and his family when they celebrate and have a wonderful dinner. I did this again last night, and it was as pleasant as always, for both Jews and Gentiles present.

Dagga Boy
12-07-2015, 06:52 PM
I just made a pile o latke's.

Robert Mitchum
12-08-2015, 02:26 AM
shalom aleichem
Goldberg, the greatest wrestler ever.
I will be using schumky putz's again..thanks for the video.

Kennydale
12-08-2015, 07:37 AM
Happy Chanukah

Mr_White
12-08-2015, 02:20 PM
Thanks for posting that Darryl, I enjoyed reading it.

Happy Chanukah to my great Jewish brothers and sisters.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-13-2015, 01:05 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/12/the-great-latke-lie/420018/

Thousands of years, the Hebrew race waited for Crisco. :rolleyes:

HCM
12-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Happy Chanukah to all.

Nyeti,

Have you found any good Deli in DFW ?

Dagga Boy
12-13-2015, 01:23 PM
So far Christy's when I really need the good stuff. There is also a great German deli right down the street from Jackson Armory that does a great job with very similar stuff. Just had latke's and Rueben's the other day when I was picking up my Novak hiPower and the 336Youth rifle.

HCM
12-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How is Carshons in Ft Worth ? http://carshonsdeli.com

I couldn't find a listing for Christy's in DFW (Ventura ,CA?) but I found Cindy's http://cindisnydeli.com

Dagga Boy
12-13-2015, 02:10 PM
My bad...it is Cindy's. Haven't tried Carshons as I am rarely on that side of town. My uncle moved here from nY a few years ago. He just died recently, but I would pick him up from his retirement place and take him to Cindy's fairly often. Weirdly.....Tom Thumb actually makes great bagels and have lox on sale often enough that I don't have to go far for my favorite Jewish food.

RoyGBiv
12-13-2015, 02:48 PM
^^^ Target makes Einstein's every day. I like them better than Tom Thumb. Too bready.
Target lox generally sucks, however.

NorthernHeat
12-13-2015, 10:54 PM
Cindy's in Dallas is some good grub, we go there often.

SeriousStudent
12-14-2015, 01:24 AM
...... There is also a great German deli right down the street from Jackson Armory that does a great job with very similar stuff. ......

Kuby's is a nice place indeed. Their daughter has a deli about 6 blocks from my house, and she makes great soup.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-25-2015, 02:26 PM
To add a nuance to the culinary holiday discussion:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/why-american-jews-eat-chinese-food-on-christmas/384011/

For the record, we had Japanese food last night. Tonight we eat in.

voodoo_man
12-25-2015, 03:33 PM
Funny, having chinese food and watching a movie tonight.

It's tradition.

Failure2Stop
12-25-2015, 03:41 PM
Funny, having chinese food and watching a movie tonight.

It's tradition.
We're actually doing the same.

voodoo_man
12-25-2015, 03:46 PM
We're actually doing the same.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--C3LTq0Ja--/19fj9h89exljipng.png

Dagga Boy
12-25-2015, 04:10 PM
We have a Jewish family we do Hanukah with. They do Hanukah dinner, we do Christmas. This year due to it being early, it didn't work out....so we all went to an Irish Pub for Christmas Eve and did $1 Taco night (they have awesome food). It was sort of funny, and you can imagine the regulars who spend Christmas Eve alone drinking.

RoyGBiv
12-25-2015, 05:10 PM
Chinese take out last night.
Yum.

Wondering Beard
12-25-2015, 06:04 PM
To add a nuance to the culinary holiday discussion:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/why-american-jews-eat-chinese-food-on-christmas/384011/

For the record, we had Japanese food last night. Tonight we eat in.

Interestingly enough, the Japanese do KFC on Christmas: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/why-japan-is-obsessed-with-kentucky-fried-chicken-on-christmas-1-161666960/?no-ist

WobblyPossum
12-25-2015, 09:23 PM
I did have Chinese today and I didn't even think about it.

RJ
12-26-2015, 05:13 PM
^^^ That's too funny, before she passed, my mom and I used to spent Xmas day going to the movies then eating Chinese food. Good times. :)

Glenn E. Meyer
12-26-2015, 05:18 PM
My grandmother had the theological position that shrimp and lobster were Kosher in the Chinese restaurant. Otherwise, she ran a strict household.

Just for a change, I did a new Middle Eastern restaurant for lunch before going shopping. Pretty good. Lots of Middle Eastern restaurants opening up around the Med. School area in San Antonio. This proves the point that war is only good for generating some nice take out options in the USA.

Kyle Reese
12-26-2015, 06:16 PM
My grandmother had the theological position that shrimp and lobster were Kosher in the Chinese restaurant. Otherwise, she ran a strict household.

Just for a change, I did a new Middle Eastern restaurant for lunch before going shopping. Pretty good. Lots of Middle Eastern restaurants opening up around the Med. School area in San Antonio. This proves the point that war is only good for generating some nice take out options in the USA.

I prefer Afghan and Levantine cuisines to any others.

Kanye Wyoming
12-09-2023, 04:14 PM
Happy Hannukah to those who celebrate.

RoyGBiv
12-09-2023, 04:23 PM
I waved at the neighbor and his son tossing the baseball as I was pulling into the driveway today. Before I could get the groceries put away he was ringing my doorbell to wish me a Happy Hanukkah and let me know that he supports Israel wiping out Hamas.

God bless Texas. And Texans.

Happy Hanukkah to all of you.

blues
12-09-2023, 04:25 PM
It's Greek to me Jane...

Happy Hanukkah, boys and girls. Light 'em if you got 'em.

Stephanie B
12-09-2023, 04:39 PM

There are some serious wastes of carbon running around.....

RoyGBiv
12-09-2023, 04:40 PM
It's Greek to me Jane...

Happy Hanukkah, boys. Light 'em if you got 'em.

MacBarren Plumbcake and an Old Fashioned on the patio.

Wishing you and yours similar holiday pleasures blues

Kyle Reese
12-09-2023, 04:58 PM
Happy Hanukkah to all.

May Almighty God bless the Jewish people and protect them in these dark times.

Stephanie B
12-09-2023, 05:41 PM
I waved at the neighbor and his son tossing the baseball as I was pulling into the driveway today. Before I could get the groceries put away he was ringing my doorbell to wish me a Happy Hanukkah and let me know that he supports Israel wiping out Hamas.

God bless Texas. And Texans.

Happy Hanukkah to all of you.

And to you.

BillSWPA
12-09-2023, 05:45 PM
Happy Hannukah, and glad to see this thread come back to the first page. The original post is a must read. As a Christian, Jewish history is also my history.

Rex G
12-09-2023, 05:59 PM
Happy and Safe Hannukah to all.

Clusterfrack
12-09-2023, 06:19 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231209/6c776b9364b5c52f26ce022e7cc488d3.jpg

Tackleberry40sw
12-09-2023, 06:53 PM
Happy Chanukah everyone!

Cheap Shot
12-09-2023, 07:10 PM
Happy Chanukah everyone!

+1

Kanye Wyoming
12-09-2023, 09:36 PM

Borderland
12-09-2023, 09:58 PM
I'm not of the Jewish faith but Happy Hanukkah to those who are.

Stay strong in battle and defeat those that will never accept your existence.

DMCutter
12-09-2023, 10:00 PM
Silly Jane. Chanukah isn't about the miracle of one day's worth of oil lasting for 8 days, it's the Jewish Christmas. 🙄

Jamie
12-10-2023, 08:16 AM
Happy Hannukah, and glad to see this thread come back to the first page. The original post is a must read. As a Christian, Jewish history is also my history.

THIS!

Happy Hannukah to all!

awp_101
12-10-2023, 08:46 AM

There always have been, it's just that now they have a platform to display it to the world.

Chuck Whitlock
12-10-2023, 09:45 AM

There always have been, it's just that now they have a platform to display it to the world.

And they vote. And procreate.

Stephanie B
12-10-2023, 06:04 PM

The more I think of this, the more pissed I get. It's the same as those loons that accuse Jews of being colonialists, forgetting that's our homeland going back thousands of years. It's the attitude that Jews are one of the few groups on the fucking planet that don't get to have a homeland. The Kurd have a homeland, even if they can't seem to forge a distinct nation out of it. Those clowns are upset about Jews, but ask them if they've even heard of the Uyghurs let alone the genocide that the Chinese are perpetrating. And for damn sure, they don't give a rat's ass about the Tibetans. Or the Ukrainians.

Anyone in the US who calls Jews "colonialists", unless they are American Indians, should be immediately frog-marched to the airport and put on a plane back to their homeland.

/rant