PDA

View Full Version : came *this* close (man vs man match)

JodyH
12-05-2015, 04:23 PM
We had our season ending Man vs. Man steel dueling match today.
Two shooters simultaneously racing through 31 pieces of steel each to the overlapping stop poppers.
Your first loadout could not be over 20 rounds, reload mags had no capacity restrictions.
No holster restrictions other than "safe" and no classifications ("run what you brung", open to production), minor power factor and up.
We had three preliminary runs to set the bracket and then single eliminations to the winner.
I ended up 7th on the bracket and mowed down all comers to the final.
The final was me and a USPSA Master running his Limited pistol (STI Edge), I was running a stock VP9 with 20 round magazines (TF +5s on stock mags).
I was one plate up on him until the reload where he pulled ahead of me and he beat me by 3 plates.
I was *this* close to club bragging rights.
:cool:
Hopefully I'll have a video of the final run from one of the spectators to add to the thread later.
It was an epic 15-20 second battle.

John Hearne
12-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Want so badly to say "I love man-on-man" but that just seems wrong....

LittleLebowski
12-05-2015, 05:38 PM
I wish I had a club like that nearby.

LSP552
12-05-2015, 05:45 PM
There are lots of clubs in New Orleans that feature man on man.........

JodyH
12-05-2015, 05:47 PM
I wish I had a club like that nearby.
I'm the main gun club Vice Pres. and the action pistol sub-club President.
I wormed my way into the board so I could turn it into a fun club.

JodyH
12-05-2015, 05:48 PM
There are lots of clubs in New Orleans that feature man on man.........
Fabulous...

breakingtime91
12-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Fabulous...

yessssssssss. video? :rolleyes:

shane45
12-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Excellent work!

HCM
12-05-2015, 06:39 PM
yessssssssss. video? :rolleyes:

This is a family forum sir ......:eek:

BN
12-05-2015, 07:42 PM
One club we shoot at has a man vs man steel shoot on the last match of the season. Usually pistol, shotgun and sometimes rifle.

One time they had a bunch of steel set from 10 yards out to 25 or 30 yards. The long targets were little chickens on a stand. Probably borrowed from the silhouette guys. During the shotgun run I turned a chicken on the stand and was trying to hit it with my open choke slug barrel. The other guy was missing too. In the end we both had to have a buddy bring us another box of shells. :)

Later, I patterned my shotgun and found I had chicken sized holes at 25. :(

JodyH
12-05-2015, 08:25 PM
We had a funny run today as well.
My wife was doing pretty well against another shooter who's gun had a pretty serious malfunction early in the stage.
This let her get 10 or so plates ahead while he was fixing his gun.
Then she started missing a few shots here and there but she cleaned her side and started trying to hit the stop plate for the win.
It was like that stop plate was dodging her bullets, she must have missed it 6 or 7 times.
Then she went to slide lock, with no more mags on her.... empty gun, no mags, stop plate still standing and the opponent fired up and making a charge.
She dropped to a knee and dug a 9mm round out of the dirt that someone previously had ejected on the "unload and show clear", chambered it and shot the stop plate for the win.
The next time up she looked like she was going to war, with spare loaded mags stuffed in every pocket.

Cheap Shot
12-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Both you and your wife have way too much fun

Very cool!

Lomshek
12-05-2015, 10:30 PM
She dropped to a knee and dug a 9mm round out of the dirt that someone previously had ejected on the "unload and show clear", chambered it and shot the stop plate for the win.

dbateman
12-05-2015, 11:38 PM
That sounds like a pretty good shoot.

I'm the main gun club Vice Pres. and the action pistol sub-club President.
I wormed my way into the board so I could turn it into a fun club.

Yep thats what you've got to do sometimes.

fixer
12-06-2015, 08:02 AM
I had a great time Jody. This was a fantastic match.

I was super happy just to make it out of the first round.

I was like "awww hell..." when I saw I was bracketed against you in round 2.

Glad you did well. Way to go on using a stock gun against the STI uber blasters.

Your wife's run against the other guy was genuinely epic.

JodyH
12-06-2015, 09:15 AM
It was probably the most fun I've had all year.

You were shooting a Beretta from concealed and doing a damn good job of it.
Mag capacity was killing you in this match though, you need some 17's or 20's.
I was gaming it this match with my 20's and chickened out on running from concealed.

At first I felt bad for her when she ran out of ammo with the stop plate still standing and about a 6 or 7 plate advantage, then is was funny watching her scramble around in the dirt for a round.
Finally... why did she put it in a magazine first instead of directly in the chamber? Because stress and "muscle memory" that's why.
She said she knew she needed to load that round in the pistol, and the way she always does that is by loading it in a magazine first.
Another data point in the "under stress you'll do what you've hard wired".

I might have been closer in the final if I hadn't of lost my focus after the reload.
I was the first to hit a plate off the draw and was one plate up when we both went to reload.
Then I heard him get the first shot and hit after the reload and my brain said "you gotta catch up!".
After that I had too many misses and he pulled ahead and stayed there.

fixer
12-06-2015, 09:21 AM
I might have been closer in the final if I hadn't of lost my focus after the reload.
I was the first to hit a plate off the draw and was one plate up when we both went to reload.
Then I heard him get the first shot and hit after the reload and my brain said "you gotta catch up!".
After that I had too many misses and he pulled ahead and stayed there.

lol...kinda did the same thing in my run against you. I shanked the DA shot (typical) and then hit the panic button.

GJM
12-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Jody, I am especially sorry you didn't beat him. You may recall that I carry a list of GM's I have beaten, in the grip compartment of my #1 AR. Even though he was just a common M, in light that you were shooting an HK, I would have added his name to the list, with a notation the athletic guy with the fur hat beat him with just an HK.

MGW
12-06-2015, 09:36 AM
I've shot two steel matches similar to this. We only shoot two plates at a time. Targets are set from about 7 yards to 60 yards and each plate is worth a different number of points. It's difficult to explain how it's set up but you shoot two plates each stage with a par time of 3 seconds. The start plate and then another plate. It's always head to head but the first time you run the course you are setting your spot in the bracket. They run multiple divisions including a youth .22 division. Everything is run from low ready similar to GSSF.

Last time I cleaned the course with a max score during the bracket setting round. I've never come close to clean during an elimination round but have made it to the semis each time only to be beat by a trooper I train with.

I like the format because it levels the playing field a little bit. Sped is important but accuracy is more important. I love the head to head aspect of it too. Is so much harder to be focused and disciplined. I have to constantly remind myself to focus on the process and not the results. There is also a little strategy involved when and if someone misses a shot. It's a blast.

JodyH
12-06-2015, 09:41 AM
Jody, I am especially sorry you didn't beat him. You may recall that I carry a list of GM's I have beaten, in the grip compartment of my #1 AR. Even though he was just a common M, in light that you were shooting an HK, I would have added his name to the list, with a notation the athletic guy with the fur hat beat him with just an HK.
I'm the opposite.
I carry a list of the ones who have beaten me (it's a short list).
When I need to "fuel the hate" I get it out and read it.

JodyH
12-06-2015, 09:45 AM
My wife said she was getting adrenaline dumps after every matchup. She was shaking while reloading mags and it took her several minutes to calm down.
I told her "just think what it'd be like if you two were shooting at each other".
:cool:

LSP552
12-06-2015, 10:09 AM
I'm the opposite.

Outstanding!

GJM
12-06-2015, 10:15 AM
I'm the opposite.

I was joking about the list. Different approach, but I don't get that excited about beating other people in gun games. I focus on sights and trigger, try to shoot to the best of my ability, and let the chips fall as they may. Shooting Production, which spots 15% to Limited and another 10% to Open, I get lots of practice being beaten by others in matches.

JodyH
12-06-2015, 10:23 AM
I was joking about the list. Different approach, but I don't get that excited about beating other people in gun games.
You think I was serious about my list or your list? I think the frost is getting to your brain up there snowman.
:p

Regular matches, mehhh I shoot them for the trigger time.
Man V Man single elimination, that takes it to a whole other level for me (like BJJ comps, MMA sparring or ECQC).

GJM
12-06-2015, 10:34 AM
You think I was serious about my list or your list? I think the frost is getting to your brain up there snowman.
:p

Regular matches, mehhh I shoot them for the trigger time.
Man V Man single elimination, that takes it to a whole other level for me (like BJJ comps, MMA sparring or ECQC).

You got me there -- it is taking me some time to adjust to the new modest Jody. :)

JodyH
12-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Modesty is for people who don't know how good they are.

Lomshek
12-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Modesty is for people who don't know how good they are.

It ain't bragging if it's true!

dbateman
12-07-2015, 09:21 AM
why did she put it in a magazine first instead of directly in the chamber? Because stress and "muscle memory" that's why.
She said she knew she needed to load that round in the pistol, and the way she always does that is by loading it in a magazine first.
Another data point in the "under stress you'll do what you've hard wired.

We often duel single shot only, specifically for that reason.

John Hearne
12-07-2015, 09:25 PM
Some of my favorite shooting memories are from man-on-man events that I used to shoot.

First lesson - it ain't over 'til it's over. Shooting in the final round for first and second place. Winner determined by who's cross-over popper is on the bottom. I am a good second ahead of the other guy. "Ding" my steel and watch it fall slowly while basking in the wonderfulness of my skills. The guy I've just "beat" is shooting a 10mm with full-house loads. He double taps his steel and drives it down way faster than my slowly falling steel. Manages to pass my steel and pull out the win. I never fired a single shot to end a round again.

Second - winning with "handicapped" gear is fun when it happens. During this time I was shooting my box stock Sig P220 out of my duty rig. End up in the final elimination for first and second place. Except, everyone's thrown into the pot so there is cash on the line. Beat the other guy with his fancy 1911 and race gear and took the money. It was maybe $75 but it felt like a million.

Luke
12-07-2015, 09:44 PM
First time in my life that I am sad we don't have man on man action around here :(