PDA

View Full Version : P7M8 spares

JAD
12-03-2015, 12:28 PM
I'm going to send a P7M8 off to Robar. While I will try to acquire a spare complete gun at some point, I am currently wondering if I should acquire some key spare parts to have NP3d (or just to have on hand). I am willing to spend several hundred bucks -- I'd like to have a decent set of spares.

Persons with experience with the P7, please tell me what spares you would lay in.

GJM
12-03-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm going to send a P7M8 off to Robar. While I will try to acquire a spare complete gun at some point, I am currently wondering if I should acquire some key spare parts to have NP3d (or just to have on hand). I am willing to spend several hundred bucks -- I'd like to have a decent set of spares.

Persons with experience with the P7, please tell me what spares you would lay in.

A Sig 239. :)

JD, contact me if you want another one, complete with NP3.

psalms144.1
12-03-2015, 01:15 PM
JD, contact me if you want another one, complete with NP3. BEST. KARMA. EVER. I'm in ;)

MGW
12-03-2015, 01:17 PM
A Sig 239. :)

JD, contact me if you want another one, complete with NP3.

Im in too [emoji3]

Kram
12-03-2015, 02:27 PM
The most important spare parts to have on hand are the springs. Drop Safety Spring, Trigger Spring, Extractor Spring, Firing Pin Spring, Firing Pin Rebound Spring, Sear Lever Spring, and Recoil Spring. It wouldn't hurt to also have an extra firing pin bushing on hand. Many consider that to be the weak part on the P7.

SAWBONES
12-03-2015, 03:50 PM
The most important spare parts to have on hand are the springs. Drop Safety Spring, Trigger Spring, Extractor Spring, Firing Pin Spring, Firing Pin Rebound Spring, Sear Lever Spring, and Recoil Spring. It wouldn't hurt to also have an extra firing pin bushing on hand. Many consider that to be the weak part on the P7.

And of all those, the firing pin bushing and the drop safety spring are the most important spares, since they are the most often-broken parts and AFAIK available only from HK and HK jobbers. (My own approach is just to keep a spare P7M8.)

The appropriate recoil spring is available from Wolff (not the same as the HK part, but works fine, I've got several), so no worries about that.

YVK
12-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Took me 30 days to get a firing pin bushing out of HK under the life time warranty. Cause I was too cheap to buy one for 90 bucks.

12-04-2015, 06:13 AM
Agree on the Drop Safety spring. I had my P7 from the early 90s until last year, the only failure I had was that spring breaking (not wearing out). The gun was shot regularly (I don't log numbers, sorry) but not a high round count piece.

Hambo
12-04-2015, 07:46 AM
And of all those, the firing pin bushing and the drop safety spring are the most important spares

^^^^^ If you shoot it much at all you will break a bushing, followed by drop safety and trigger springs. The bushing is a quick fix, but anything that requires grip will teach you the real meaning of PITA. Two pistols plus spare parts are good because you can look at the one you didn't disassemble to try to put the other back together.

nalesq
12-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Does anyone have any idea if bargain priced P7 PSPs may ever come back on the market again? I bought one back in the day for the wife. It's been her favorite pistol since then, but I don't have a spare and would like to get one at some point.

Shumba
12-04-2015, 11:42 AM

Drop safety catch spring and firing pin bushing.
My M13 was NP 3 coated in 1991 and has worn like a champ BUT be advised it makes the slide slick as owl dung and tough to rack with sweaty hands.
FWIW I would do Roguard on the slide and NP 3 the rest of the gun.
I carried P7M8s and M13s since 1985 until this year when NYETI convinced me to retire them in favor of a VP9.
It is a much easier gun to live with.
Shumba

JAD
12-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Thanks! I'll get those two parts in order.