PDA

View Full Version : Car Gun. Cold weather

rangerover
12-03-2015, 10:31 AM
I have a G26 that I keep in my car 24/7. I live in northern Ohio but travel all over Ohio. I have a safe in the car I keep it in when I have to enter buildings where carry is not permitted.

With the weather getting colder and variable temps this time of year, am I better off taking my 26 in the house at night or just keeping it in the garage. I'm worried about condensation from variable temps possibly initiating rust and impacting my carry round's (HST 147g) ability to fire if needed due to condensation.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

BehindBlueI's
12-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Not about expert, but I figure is a non issue based on years of carrying in a duty belt and multiple temp changes a day, rain, snow, etc.

Stone
12-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Condensation builds when changing from cold to hot conditions. So taking it into a heated house at night would be worse than leaving it in the cold vehicle. I would leave it in the vehicle. As long as you have another for HD.

psalms144.1
12-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Condensation builds when changing from cold to hot conditions. So taking it into a heated house at night would be worse than leaving it in the cold vehicle. I would leave it in the vehicle. As long as you have another for HD.Concur. Take the gun into the house once a month, detail strip, check for issues, lube per specifications, and don't worry about it. I wouldn't worry about the ammo at all, I'm currently working through ammunition that was loaded in 1986, stored outside in high humidity conditions most of the time, summer and winter, and though it looks nasty, it still goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

okie john
12-03-2015, 12:06 PM
I have a G26 that I keep in my car 24/7. I live in northern Ohio but travel all over Ohio. I have a safe in the car I keep it in when I have to enter buildings where carry is not permitted.

With the weather getting colder and variable temps this time of year, am I better off taking my 26 in the house at night or just keeping it in the garage. I'm worried about condensation from variable temps possibly initiating rust and impacting my carry round's (HST 147g) ability to fire if needed due to condensation.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Auto burglary and auto theft are basically the national pastime where I live, so I don't leave anything in a car if I ever want to see it again. The safe doesn't change that--it's pretty easy to break one of them open if you have anything like the right tools.

So definitely take the gun indoors at night.

Glocks are built to resist rust, but if you're really concerned about it, then after you take it in the house, I'd unload it, field strip it, and let it reach room temperature. Use a cotton mop (http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/bore-mops/cotton-bore-mops-prod25916.aspx) on the bore and a rag on everything else. This doesn't have to be a complete, detailed cleaning, just a quick once-over. Then reassemble, reload, and secure for the night.

After a few repetitions, it becomes a quick and easy routine. It's also cheaper than buying a new gun and easier than dealing with police and insurance if the gun gets stolen.

Okie John

rangerover
12-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. Won't overthink this.

BehindBlueI's
12-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. Won't overthink this.

That's what I'd go with. Cops have been doing this for how long now? If condensation affected ammo reliability, we'd probably know about it. The military does not climate control ammo storage sites, either.

Peally
12-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Every single work day my gun comes from inside the house and gets tossed in the car, where it sits all day rain or shine or horrible winter. After 3 years, no issues so far ;)

orionz06
12-03-2015, 01:34 PM
The last time I accidentally shot a mag of carry ammo it saw over a year of in and out as well as numerous drops in puddles, snow, and you name it. Not concerned. It takes a lot to get rounds to not fire.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

LSP972
12-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Condensation builds when changing from cold to hot conditions. So taking it into a heated house at night would be worse than leaving it in the cold vehicle. I would leave it in the vehicle. As long as you have another for HD.

This^... assuming you have an early Gen3 or prior pistol. Anything with Tenifer is GTG; whatever they're using in place of Tenifer is dreck, in terms of corrosion resistance.

Something else to consider; what you lube the pistol with. Its gets pretty chilly up there, and some lubes will congeal if left unattended/unworked. I'd definitely avoid ANY type of grease. A medium viscosity oil will do (very lioght application), but I would make it a point to examine the piece every couple of weeks, AT MOST. Just unload and work the action a few times, while observing the status of the lube. If you can still see some, you're good. Don't forget to rotate that cartridge that was in the chamber to the bottom of the magazine. You don't want to keep re-chambering the same cartridge and risk bullet set-back.

Nephrology
12-03-2015, 02:48 PM
This^... assuming you have an early Gen3 or prior pistol. Anything with Tenifer is GTG; whatever they're using in place of Tenifer is dreck, in terms of corrosion resistance.

Something else to consider; what you lube the pistol with. Its gets pretty chilly up there, and some lubes will congeal if left unattended/unworked. I'd definitely avoid ANY type of grease. A medium viscosity oil will do (very lioght application), but I would make it a point to examine the piece every couple of weeks, AT MOST. Just unload and work the action a few times, while observing the status of the lube. If you can still see some, you're good. Don't forget to rotate that cartridge that was in the chamber to the bottom of the magazine. You don't want to keep re-chambering the same cartridge and risk bullet set-back.

My newer Gen4 pistols with the "new" finish have 0 rust issues, for what it's worth. Have not babied them in the slightest.

rangerover
12-03-2015, 03:48 PM

Thanks. I use MPro7 oil. I have a very small bottle of remoil in the glove box just in case I am away from home and feel a quick lube would be nice. HAHA. Just reread that. No jokes please <G>

LSP972
12-03-2015, 08:46 PM
My newer Gen4 pistols with the "new" finish have 0 rust issues, for what it's worth. Have not babied them in the slightest.

Well, the local PD has had to return 70+ (and still counting) bought-this-year Gen4 G17s for serious corrosion issues. My former agency has put over a thousand new, current-production Gen4 G17s and G22s on the street over the past six months. No major issues with those yet (that I am aware of), but I know the FTU people are keeping a close eye on it.

Maybe BRPD just got a bad batch… but they aren't the only ones with more-than-normal corrosion issues.

I see anywhere from a couple to a dozen or more various Glocks every week in the lab; either cop guns involved in shootings, or seized guns from miscreants. I've been doing this for six years now, along with the hundreds/thousands of G17s, 22s, 19s, 35s, etc. that passed through my training programs from 2006 back. I just didn't- ever- see any corrosion issues, even with badly-neglected pistols back then. But in the past two years, I've seen more and more rusted/rusting Glocks crossing my workbench.

Make of that what you will.;)

Beat Trash
12-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Any rusty HK's coming across your workbench?

LSP972
12-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Any rusty HK's coming across your workbench?

I can count on my fingers- of one hand- the number of HKs I've processed. One USPf was in pretty bad shape; but the only rust was on the aftermarket night sights. That HK Hostile Environment finish is outstanding.

Beat Trash
12-04-2015, 11:45 AM
You're killing me guy!

I currently own 1 HK, a VP9.

It's about to have friends... Lots of friends...

If HK comes out with a VP9k or VP9sk at SHOT, it will be enough to tip me over to the dark side of HK.

LSP972
12-04-2015, 09:57 PM
You're killing me guy!

I currently own 1 HK, a VP9.

It's about to have friends... Lots of friends...

If HK comes out with a VP9k or VP9sk at SHOT, it will be enough to tip me over to the dark side of HK.

Outstanding; I can use use another notch on the gun. I just today confirmed yet another convert; he ordered his third HK pistol in as many weeks. Another retired colleague of ours, Ken… Tim B.

I have given up on bringing LSP552 into the fold, but most everybody else I have worked seriously with ended up crossing over. Some took longer than others, but the simple fact is that the brand sells itself.

LSP552
12-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Outstanding; I can use use another notch on the gun. I just today confirmed yet another convert; he ordered his third HK pistol in as many weeks. Another retired colleague of ours, Ken… Tim B.

I have given up on bringing LSP552 into the fold, but most everybody else I have worked seriously with ended up crossing over. Some took longer than others, but the simple fact is that the brand sells itself.

Dude....you are like a frigging crack dealer. Give them a taste, set the hook, and stick them with an expensive habit!

LSP972
12-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Dude....you are like a frigging crack dealer. Give them a taste, set the hook, and stick them with an expensive habit!

Eureka! NOW I know why you have successfully resisted; you worked dope for all those years. Dunno why that didn't occur to me before…

VT1032
12-05-2015, 10:37 PM
I used to use a gen 4 26 with the new finish loaded with hst's as a car gun for over a year. I left it in a car safe 24/7 here in Vermont, where it is frequently sub zero in the winter. I had no issues whatsoever and the ammo all shot when I finally took it to the range. I use m pro 7 as lube for what it's worth.

rangerover
12-06-2015, 12:08 AM
Thanks. My setup exactly.

warpedcamshaft
12-06-2015, 01:06 AM
I've got an interesting anecdote regarding ammunition in extreme temps:

3 years ago, I hand-loaded a very distinct plated hollow point for a span of about 2-3 months and shot a bunch of them on a private range that only I have access to. This load used bullseye powder and a winchester primer.

I found one of these rounds laying in the dirt this summer and decided to fire it out of curiosity. It fired and ignited normally. Said round was exposed to temperatures ranging from -32 to 109 degrees ambient air temp.

I also had a polymer framed firearm that was impossible to fire after being in cold temps for a few hours. Make sure that your s&$t works in the full temp range you intend to use it.

BN
12-06-2015, 07:36 AM
I also had a polymer framed firearm that was impossible to fire after being in cold temps for a few hours. Make sure that your s&$t works in the full temp range you intend to use it.

I was using the latest and greatest grease on a 9mm 1911 until I started getting malfunctions in cold weather. :(

Hauptmann
12-06-2015, 08:01 AM
I was using the latest and greatest grease on a 9mm 1911 until I started getting malfunctions in cold weather. :(

Yep. There's a reason why automotive oils are setup up to be more viscous in hot climates, and more runny in cold climates. For one thing, metals expand in the heat resulting in stronger contact with a firearm's mating parts. In the winter cold, the parts have more play. So, keep it runny in the winter, and greasy in the summer. If you look at some of the old cold war and Vietnam era M16 manuals, the DOA suggests running the rifle wet(oil) in the jungle, and almost dry in arctic climates.

When I lived in colder climates, I had no problem transitioning a pistol from cold to warm and dealing with the condensation on carbon slide Sigs. You really learn how best to protect steel when you are using the old W. German carbon steel Sigs. First, you need to keep your pistol clean(no carbon buildup, and get all the copper fouling out of the bore), and keep the metal surfaces lubed with something runny so that the protectant runs into all the tight areas. I still like Weapon Shield CLP for my runny protectant......hey, worked great for me on carbon steel Sigs along the coast. Condensation and rain are not a big deal as long as you let the pistol dry out quickly, the big problem is letting metal surfaces come into contact with your skin. Salt is constantly being excreted from your pores, regardless of whether you are sweating or not.....so avoid contact at all costs.

.....all that being said, the best places to keep guns are on your person, or in a immobile safe/vault.