PDA

View Full Version : Warriors Way RAT blade + trainer + sheath group buy

voodoo_man
12-03-2015, 07:27 AM
After a few emails back and forth I have some numbers...

$450 for 10 people
$400 for 20 people

Dont know if more for more people, thats up to them.

You get a RAT blade, a trainer and a sheath direct from warrior way:

http://www.warriorswaytx.com/store/43/rat-training-package/

http://i.imgur.com/CX23az5.jpg

secondstoryguy
12-03-2015, 10:28 AM
If I didnt allready have one if be all over this. It's currently my favorite EDC blade.

voodoo_man
12-03-2015, 10:51 AM
If I didnt allready have one if be all over this. It's currently my favorite EDC blade.

Same, though two is one...

voodoo_man
12-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Estimated time to delivery from payment should be a little more than 6 weeks - is what I was told.

jc000
12-05-2015, 11:29 AM
So many great opportunities to buy guns, ammo, knives and gear these days… so little money in my pocket! :(

Up1911Fan
12-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Interested....

Cheap Shot
12-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Interested....

Same here, but poor. And in my state its illegal to carry.

But, I really,really, really am impressed with it

voodoo_man
12-13-2015, 01:22 AM
Maybe around Christmas isn't the best time for a group buy...

Yeah, maybe....maybe guys need to tell their women what they really want....hint hint...

HopetonBrown
12-13-2015, 03:25 AM
In my state of California the Rat is a felony and a Glock 19 without a CCW is a misdemeanor.

acaixguard
12-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Will be interested if we can get it to 20 people.

Mike C
12-15-2015, 04:37 AM

Same here, also would like to know what is the method of payment?

voodoo_man
12-15-2015, 09:03 AM

Probably through their website via coupon code.

Mike C
12-15-2015, 09:32 AM
Great thanks for the quick reply. How soon do you think before the order is put in? Sorry I forgot to ask earlier but it was rather early when I posted and the coffee hadn't kicked in. Count me in for sure.

voodoo_man
12-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Great thanks for the quick reply. How soon do you think before the order is put in? Sorry I forgot to ask earlier but it was rather early when I posted and the coffee hadn't kicked in. Count me in for sure.

As soon a we can get enough people to commit to buying them, at least 10, then from that point I'll get a code for you guys and after payment I was told:

Estimated time to delivery from payment should be a little more than 6 weeks - is what I was told.

1. Mike C

PNWTO
12-15-2015, 11:43 AM
I am interested and will follow this intently. Once post-Holiday and 2016 budgets are settled I'll probably be in.

secondstoryguy
12-15-2015, 07:16 PM
Put me down for one.

Matt C.
12-16-2015, 07:40 PM

I'm in at 400.00

voodoo_man
01-20-2016, 08:29 PM
I got to handle one of these today. I really liked it.

If only people knew....

StraitR
01-26-2016, 07:12 PM
This blade appeals to me on so many levels, but the pregnant RN wife recently left her j-o-b to start a business which has rendered us a single income family and subsequently reduced my fun money to exactly zilch. Meh, she's better than I deserve, plus this one's a boy. ;)

I'll be back for you RAT blade! :mad: shakes fist*

Irelander
01-27-2016, 01:33 PM
This blade appeals to me on so many levels, but the pregnant RN wife recently left her j-o-b to start a business which has rendered us a single income family and subsequently reduced my fun money to exactly zilch. Meh, she's better than I deserve, plus this one's a boy. ;)

I'll be back for you RAT blade! :mad: shakes fist*

Sounds like we have the same budget for cool stuff right now. :(

Matt C.
01-27-2016, 06:35 PM
maybe we can get this going.
put me down for one (at 450.00)

voodoo_man
01-27-2016, 08:37 PM
Interested....

I am interested and will follow this intently. Once post-Holiday and 2016 budgets are settled I'll probably be in.

Put me down for one.

maybe we can get this going.
put me down for one (at 450.00)

1. up1911fan - interested
2. acaixguard - interested @ 20 people
3. mike c - interested
4. pnwto - interested
5. matt c - in at 450.00
6. PF / tom jones

4 more and we can get a discount

Mike C
01-27-2016, 08:58 PM
voodoo_man I am in regardless.

voodoo_man
01-28-2016, 05:58 AM
voodoo_man I am in regardless.

Cool.

Hopefully others get in on this.

Wondering Beard
01-28-2016, 05:27 PM
I'm in.

voodoo_man
01-28-2016, 07:24 PM
I'm in.

1. up1911fan - interested
2. acaixguard - interested @ 20 people
3. mike c - interested
4. pnwto - interested
5. matt c - in at 450.00
6. PF / tom jones
7. wondering beard - in

Matt C.
02-03-2016, 03:15 PM
So, can we get the discount with 7 takers?

(I need this blade)

voodoo_man
02-03-2016, 03:43 PM
So, can we get the discount with 7 takers?

(I need this blade)

I don't know, I will ask but 10 would probably be preferable.

Attila
02-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Almost afraid to ask - only the standard AUS8, right?

voodoo_man
02-11-2016, 07:05 AM
Almost afraid to ask - only the standard AUS8, right?

Whatever it says on the site.

I wouldnt worry too much about the steel type as its a people blade, not a utility blade.

voodoo_man
03-09-2016, 03:22 PM
Ok, got an email back.

Price is $400 for the package

Please PM me your full name and i will reply with a link. I have to submit your names to them or else people will be denied the sale.

Wondering Beard
03-09-2016, 05:27 PM
PM sent

voodoo_man
03-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Bump, you wont get this cheaper...

Wondering Beard
03-10-2016, 04:28 PM
I did.

Mike C
03-10-2016, 08:13 PM
PM sent.

bradleyb
03-17-2016, 09:22 AM
Voodoo-man, I tried to reply to your pm, but your mailbox is full.

voodoo_man
03-17-2016, 12:08 PM
I deleted a bunch so go ahead.

I didnt even know there was a limit.

Matt C.
03-18-2016, 07:32 AM
So everyone that said they were going to buy at $400 has contacted VDM, right?

Yes and paid up.

Mike C
03-18-2016, 08:49 AM
Will pay up as soon as I get back to a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike C
03-18-2016, 03:20 PM
All paid up. Can't wait.

Matt C.
05-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Out for delivery as per usps tracking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mike C
05-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Got mine today, quality looks awesome. I dig the sheath and most of the knife but I'm not crazy about the placement of the finger grooves in the handle on the belly, it's a little awkward for me. Looks like a great piece of gear though, it will be interesting to see how it carries. So far I've just been carrying around the trainer this afternoon at the house. I'll know if a few days whether its a keeper or not. I just need to run it some with my sparring partner to compare it against the CP.

voodoo_man
05-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Got mine today, quality looks awesome. I dig the sheath and most of the knife but I'm not crazy about the placement of the finger grooves in the handle on the belly, it's a little awkward for me. Looks like a great piece of gear though, it will be interesting to see how it carries. So far I've just been carrying around the trainer this afternoon at the house. I'll know if a few days whether its a keeper or not. I just need to run it some with my sparring partner to compare it against the CP.

Just remember that its designed that way (finger grooves) to keep your fingers from catching/riding the blade on presentation and resheathing.

Mike C
05-02-2016, 04:58 PM
Just remember that its designed that way (finger grooves) to keep your fingers from catching/riding the blade on presentation and resheathing.

Not to completely shift the thread VDM, but you do you find it difficult to get a solid index on the handle from initial draw? If not how and where are you carrying the knife, are you drawing forward or reverse grip? Lastly where do you first make contact on the handle/index to, and are you using a snatch grip? TIA.

voodoo_man
05-02-2016, 05:06 PM
Not to completely shift the thread VDM, but you do you find it difficult to get a solid index on the handle from initial draw? If not how and where are you carrying the knife, are you drawing forward or reverse grip? Lastly where do you first make contact on the handle/index to, and are you using a snatch grip? TIA.

I carry in a traditional other strong side "samurai" style carry, IWB.

When I draw, reverse grip other strong hand, I make sure to use my index finger to align the rest of my grip - index finger against the hook.

When I draw, straight grip strong hand, I make sure to use my pinky to find the hook and align the rest of my grip accordingly. Once you get used to doing something like this the draw becomes pretty easy and intuitive - exactly how the blade was designed to be.

Furthermore, if you carry it horizontal, across the belt, either direction, you will do the same as above.

Matt C.
05-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Real happy with mine. (the extra sheath is a nice touch)
Thanks to all involved in getting this done.
Exactly what I need. A lively, lethal extension of the arm.
Heading out the door to train. I'm feelin some knife defense/offense is in the cards for tonight.

voodoo_man
05-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Real happy with mine. (the extra sheath is a nice touch)
Thanks to all involved in getting this done.
Exactly what I need. A lively, lethal extension of the arm.
Heading out the door to train. I'm feelin some knife defense/offense is in the cards for tonight.

report back with your experience.

Mike C
05-02-2016, 11:17 PM

When I draw, reverse grip other strong hand, I make sure to use my index finger to align the rest of my grip - index finger against the hook.

When I draw, straight grip strong hand, I make sure to use my pinky to find the hook and align the rest of my grip accordingly. Once you get used to doing something like this the draw becomes pretty easy and intuitive - exactly how the blade was designed to be.

Furthermore, if you carry it horizontal, across the belt, either direction, you will do the same as above.

I've been working with it from, "other strong side." I am going to try to work some draws in tomorrow after my dry practice with my pistol. I'll give all the above advice a shot and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for working this out. The quality really is pretty amazing. On one hand I hope this works out but on the other my wallet is hoping it doesn't. If it does I will have to go all PF and buy a second or third copy.

voodoo_man
05-03-2016, 07:22 AM
I've been working with it from, "other strong side." I am going to try to work some draws in tomorrow after my dry practice with my pistol. I'll give all the above advice a shot and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for working this out. The quality really is pretty amazing. On one hand I hope this works out but on the other my wallet is hoping it doesn't. If it does I will have to go all PF and buy a second or third copy.

Don't go crazy now ;)

Just as a disclaimer for everyone involved (more like a PSA) - please use the trainer for getting acquainted with this blade and understand the trainer is designed to be a near-exact copy. For drawing and retention purposes it is 1:1. Anything you can do with the trainer you can do with the live blade.

Matt C.
05-03-2016, 02:58 PM
report back with your experience.

First off, the knife was well received.
I had intentions of drawing from SOB position using a saber grip. Ya know, in close, tangled up using rising thrusts (under the chin, bicep, groin) coupled with forearm and elbow strikes transitioning multiple side body thrusts.

I got vetoed. Reverse grip, strong side is where we ended up.
Basic self defense drills against an incoming strike had us attacking the limb. Very similar to kenpo, working up the arm to the head/neck but ice picking all the way. Very basic but a foundation to build from.

The virtues of the blade geometry was evident as it will find hard to get at places. (which I believe is it's strength, in the same vein as the Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife)

All in all I'm very confident in the package. A blade that will do the business and a quality trainer to keep me from hurting my dumb ass.

voodoo_man
05-03-2016, 03:13 PM
First off, the knife was well received.
I had intentions of drawing from SOB position using a saber grip. Ya know, in close, tangled up using rising thrusts (under the chin, bicep, groin) coupled with forearm and elbow strikes transitioning multiple side body thrusts.

I got vetoed. Reverse grip, strong side is where we ended up.
Basic self defense drills against an incoming strike had us attacking the limb. Very similar to kenpo, working up the arm to the head/neck but ice picking all the way. Very basic but a foundation to build from.

The virtues of the blade geometry was evident as it will find hard to get at places. (which I believe is it's strength, in the same vein as the Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife)

All in all I'm very confident in the package. A blade that will do the business and a quality trainer to keep me from hurting my dumb ass.

Are you working specific targeting drills or just a course of reps meant to be used defensively?

Wondering Beard
05-03-2016, 05:22 PM

That's what I found too.

Matt C.
05-04-2016, 04:32 AM
Are you working specific targeting drills or just a course of reps meant to be used defensively?
Even the most basic drills (that I do)have specific targeting.

voodoo_man
05-04-2016, 06:30 AM
Even the most basic drills (that I do)have specific targeting.

Just asking since you said "ice pick all the way" and I am not entirely sure what you meant by that.

Matt C.
05-04-2016, 07:01 AM
The one technique that comes to mind was the block / intercept with the left arm and a stab to the crook of the arm, bicep, shoulder, neck in rapid succession. That's where I came up with that phrase

voodoo_man
05-04-2016, 07:18 AM
The one technique that comes to mind was the block / intercept with the left arm and a stab to the crook of the arm, bicep, shoulder, neck in rapid succession. That's where I came up with that phrase

Since we are on the topic...

You always want to be targeting timers and switches, knowing human anatomy is very helpful in this, not just big arterial veins but also muscle groups which work as switches.

While I understand the "more the better" in terms of striking with a blade, the fact of the matter is that blades like the Rat are designed to do the job without the requirement of a lot of strength. It is less of a punch and more of a pencil tip breaking. Imagine you taking a #2 pencil and sharpening it, then holding that pencil in any grip position and attempting to break the pencil tip off in a person but targeting exactly what you trying to make contact with - a timer or switch preferably.

The bicep is a very large muscle group striking right in the middle may not cause a switch reaction, but the teres major and minor are not large, and the bicep at the top of the arm, near the quadrangular space, if cut properly will switch that arm off, especially if you hit the nerves in that area. Specifically the Brachial Plexus, while it is very difficult to get to from the front because there are bones that mask and cover it on both sides, that is essentially the area you want to target. The Rat is definitely strong enough and precise enough to do that particular cut, especially in close range, it is not a bone cutting tool however, it is specifically designed for flesh.

When targeting the neck you need to be very specific, as in surgical precision. Look for avenues of access to the inner carotid and the outer carotid (internal and external). They are easiest to access and the easiest to target because they are only an inch or so from the skin but are small enough that the require precision targeting.

Training with intent and specific targeting guidelines allows you to properly address a threat through switches and timers without having to expend a lot of energy.

The above is not meant as a lesson or dis for you or anyone, I just want to put the info out there so people understand the concepts, methods and reasons why the Rat is the way it is.

Matt C.
05-04-2016, 08:42 AM
Since we are on the topic...

You always want to be targeting timers and switches, knowing human anatomy is very helpful in this, not just big arterial veins but also muscle groups which work as switches.

While I understand the "more the better" in terms of striking with a blade, the fact of the matter is that blades like the Rat are designed to do the job without the requirement of a lot of strength. It is less of a punch and more of a pencil tip breaking. Imagine you taking a #2 pencil and sharpening it, then holding that pencil in any grip position and attempting to break the pencil tip off in a person but targeting exactly what you trying to make contact with - a timer or switch preferably.

The bicep is a very large muscle group striking right in the middle may not cause a switch reaction, but the teres major and minor are not large, and the bicep at the top of the arm, near the quadrangular space, if cut properly will switch that arm off, especially if you hit the nerves in that area. Specifically the Brachial Plexus, while it is very difficult to get to from the front because there are bones that mask and cover it on both sides, that is essentially the area you want to target. The Rat is definitely strong enough and precise enough to do that particular cut, especially in close range, it is not a bone cutting tool however, it is specifically designed for flesh.

When targeting the neck you need to be very specific, as in surgical precision. Look for avenues of access to the inner carotid and the outer carotid (internal and external). They are easiest to access and the easiest to target because they are only an inch or so from the skin but are small enough that the require precision targeting.

Training with intent and specific targeting guidelines allows you to properly address a threat through switches and timers without having to expend a lot of energy.

The above is not meant as a lesson or dis for you or anyone, I just want to put the info out there so people understand the concepts, methods and reasons why the Rat is the way it is.
No argument with anything you said.

UNK
08-17-2016, 11:10 AM
deleted