PDA

View Full Version : What's up with my 1911 barrel?

pdb
09-29-2011, 10:08 AM
So I was disassembling my Norinco 1911A1 for cleaning, and I noticed some odd dents on one side of the barrel lugs:

http://www.papadeltabravo.com/pics/1911bbl1.jpg

here's the other side for comparison:

http://www.papadeltabravo.com/pics/1911bbl2.jpg

While this gun has been poorly customized by a ham-handed amateur *cough*, I haven't messed with the barrel fit, link or recoil spring. I also haven't tightened the slide/frame fit.

Is this something to worry about? Another example of PLA quality control? A good excuse to order up a Kart barrel?

Thanks!

ETA: Pistol was bought new in 2002, and I've shot about 3000 rounds through it.

Serpico1985
09-29-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm no expert but It looks like barrel bump or lug bump caused by an improperly fitted barrel. For reading check this thread out from 1911 forum:

Barrel Bump? (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=281003&highlight=bump)

For "gunsmithing" information on the 1911 platform, the 1911fourm should be used as an archive to search for older posts by professional gunsmiths. For asking new questions I would suggest joining 1911pro.com. Seems all the great smiths are spending more time over there now and you would likely get farther asking over there.

The above information should in no way be taken as accurate and should be researched by the OP, consulting a REPUTABLE gunsmith is likely in order.

The 1911~ "The worlds greatest close quarter combat weapon and king of the feedway stoppage" Ken Hackathorn

Tamara
09-29-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm no expert but It looks like barrel bump or lug bump caused by an improperly fitted barrel.

This.

While there is a lot of fawning over the Norc 1911s due to their all-forged construction, their heat-treat and dimensions can vary wildly. I've seen parts as soft as butter and as brittle as glass, often on the same gun. Further, the slide-stop hole, off which all the other frame holes are timed, is sometimes not bored in exactly the right place or perfectly straight.

SecondsCount
09-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Norinco 1911s were a solid platform to build on but they did have issues with improperly fit barrels. Yours looks like someone was filing or hitting it with a tool, not so much a timing issue. If it was a timing issue, usually you will see rounding on the upper barrel lugs or an even strike mark on the lower lugs.

I would clean the surface and darken it with a black Sharpie, then go out and shoot it. In that area of the lower lug there shouldn't be any contact but maybe there is something on the inside of the frame along the slide stop pin hole that is hitting it. If the Sharpie marking is wearing away then it could be that something is rubbing in that area.

pdb
10-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the pointers. I really don't remember hammering on the barrel at all, but then again, I don't remember bending the hammer strut, either. I think I'll clean up the dents, sharpie it and shoot it a bit before I start buying more parts.

Thanks again!

Tamara
10-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Personally, I'd use it as an excuse to buy a Kart. ;)