PDA

View Full Version : Hows your Keymod holding up?

Sasage
12-01-2015, 05:47 PM
I was able to get a great deal on a BCM 13" KMR upper over the weekend.

I then started doing some reading about some of the issues either from design or user error regarding slippage of parts on the mounting surface.

What has been your experience?

I plan on using this as my main HD gun and take a couple classes. I do not plan on putting a bunch of crap on it, just a Scout Fury and QD mount.
If KMR has issues I may look towards the MI Gen 3 LW MLOK.

Thanks.

breakingtime91
12-01-2015, 06:08 PM
no issues with mine. Its a light weight rail, don't ruin it by putting a bunch of crap on it.

Default.mp3
12-01-2015, 06:45 PM
A little more background info if you missed it: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?14049-KeyMod-vs-M-LOK

TL;DR: Keymod should be just fine for your needs, even if it may not be as robust as M-LOK in theory.

Sasage
12-01-2015, 08:29 PM
A little more background info if you missed it: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?14049-KeyMod-vs-M-LOK

TL;DR: Keymod should be just fine for your needs, even if it may not be as robust as M-LOK in theory.
Read through that thread, thanks for the info.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
12-01-2015, 09:48 PM
I recently put a lot of pressure on a VFG mounted to my KMR Alpha 10" (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR10-ALPHA-KeyMod-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr-a10-556-blk.htm) while taking a carboned-up suppressor off. I thought I was going to break something but it is fine. Used it at an Uncle Pat class too, shot like a dream suppressed (it's a full BCM 11.5" upper).

StraitR
12-01-2015, 10:28 PM
Funny this thread popped up. I was talking with Ayan (Boltcarrier.com) today about stopping by to seen him soon so he could put my 300blk upper together. At that point, I had not chosen a rail, and I was asking for his opinion on the KMR/KMR-A vs URX 4. I already have one of each, and I like them both, each for different reasons. In the end, with his input, I went with the KMR-A due to similar performance/weight and the fact that it was 35% less than the URX 4.

Point is, we discussed KM vs Mlok, and neither of us have personally seen issues with KM durability. And while I've certainly not read the entire internet, the only instance of a KM failure that I'm aware of was on a KMR, but the owner figured out later that he had installed the attachment wrong (backwards) and took full responsibility for the failure.

If I kicked in doors for a living, or was going overseas, I wouldn't choose KM or Mlok, but rather a traditional quad rail. That said, I don't think many average joe citizens ever push their gear to a point that approaches failure, so it's probably a choice of what quality rail system you like best for your purposes, rather than if one attachment stye or the other is durable enough.

BCM has sold KMR's by the trainload, so if there was a inherent problem in the design, there would be an abundance of weeping and gnashing of teeth.

breakingtime91
12-01-2015, 10:35 PM
So not to sound ignorant or snarky, why wouldn't someone use a kmr over seas? Rifles get beat up and everything but a light weight free float rail would be pretty kick ass for patrol/fighting... I can't think of anything from my two deployments that would make the kmr inadequate.

StraitR
12-01-2015, 11:12 PM
So not to sound ignorant or snarky, why wouldn't someone use a kmr over seas? Rifles get beat up and everything but a light weight free float rail would be pretty kick ass for patrol/fighting... I can't think of anything from my two deployments that would make the kmr inadequate.

Not snarky at all BT, and admittedly, when I deployed I was floating on the Navy's version of 7 Eleven, so I don't speak from rifle toting/abuse experience in that capacity. I guess I should have put it another way, in that I believe quad rails and their picatinny attachment method seem superior to me, so if I had to use a rifle professionally, I'd chose what I perceive as the most durable offerings.

My rail experience has been with Larue (x2), DD, Centurion (x2), KAC , and BCM. The KAC and BCM are KM, while the rest have been traditional quad rails. None have ever given me any issues, but the KMR clearly feels like it would be the least durable of the bunch. I'm sure this has everything to do with weight, which is a double edge sword since I really like how light it is, but I would have to think the trade-off is some fraction of durability. So, it's nothing scientific, just the impression I get from handling them all. The URX 4, while more stout feeling, has the barrel nut built into the rail, so I believe the KMR barrel nut/attachment method to be better since no matter of twisting will loosen the rail/barrel nut unless you shear the index clip. Again, I have total faith in KM as well as the KMR, and I just bought a second one (an Alpha) today.

Hope that clears things up.

breakingtime91
12-01-2015, 11:15 PM
Not snarky at all BT, and admittedly, when I deployed I was floating on the Navy's version of 7 Eleven, so I don't speak from rifle toting/abuse experience in that capacity. I guess I should have put it another way, in that I believe quad rails and their picatinny attachment method seem superior to me, so if I had to use a rifle professionally, I'd chose what I perceive as the most durable offerings.

My rail experience has been with Larue (x2), DD, Centurion (x2), KAC , and BCM. The KAC and BCM are KM, while the rest have been traditional quad rails. None have ever given me any issues, but the KMR clearly feels like it would be the least durable of the bunch. I'm sure this has everything to do with weight, which is a double edge sword since I really like how light it is, but I would have to think the trade-off is some fraction of durability. So, it's nothing scientific, just the impression I get from handling them all. The URX 4, while more stout feeling, has the barrel nut built into the rail, so I believe the KMR barrel nut/attachment method to be better since no matter of twisting will loosen the rail/barrel nut unless you shear the index clip. Again, I have total faith in KM as well as the KMR, and I just bought a second one (an Alpha) today.

Hope that clears things up.

for sure. Now we just need someone who does cool stuff to take one for us :cool:

M2CattleCo
12-09-2015, 01:52 AM
I have a KMR 13 and it's a great rail. I don't use it hard, but it gets carried a lot, more than any other AR I own. You do have to keep in mind that it's a pretty soft material when tightening things to it. I easily put flat spots on mine with the supplied wrench putting on a BCM light ring. Didn't affect function though.