PDA

View Full Version : Bagwell style Bowie Fighter

Rich@CCC
11-29-2015, 09:10 PM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/9d612e8a-0e60-455b-8ebc-7eb9e14e6ada_zpsf8u7vnbw.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/9d612e8a-0e60-455b-8ebc-7eb9e14e6ada_zpsf8u7vnbw.jpg.html)

I picked this up from a collector/dealer at a Gun and Knife Show today.

I have wanted a Bagwell Bowie for years. Obviously Bill Bagwell did not make this knife but it was certainly inspired by his designs. It has a convex grind and a sharpened swedge. Full tang, welded guard and butt with bone scales.

The "finish" is not perfect. There are flaws in the bone scales and their fit is "meh". The scales are not pinned( I will likely drill and pin them) and the blade is scratched in a couple places. however, the assembly is solid, the welds are perfect, the balance is exceptional and the grind is precise.

This was made by someone who loves making knives and will, imho be a a great knife maker with time and experience. I wish I knew who made it! It was bought from a "guy who's buddy made it for him" according to the dealer I bought it from.

drummer
11-29-2015, 09:41 PM
Now you need to make a better sheath for it. I've always liked the Southern Comfort kydex sheaths from Mike Sastre.

Edited to add, is the blade marked? If so, you might could track down the maker and have a different handle put on it.

UNK
11-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Why is the handle so high in relation to the blade? Is that normal?

Rich@CCC
11-29-2015, 10:29 PM
No maker's marks on the knife at all.

The handle position is one of those things that shows the inexperience of the maker. No reason that I can think of. It does not detrimentally effect the "feel" of the knife or the balance. It just doesn't look perfect. Same with the flaws in the scales. No effect other than aesthetic. I did not buy this for a decoration or collection piece. It's a defensive tool.

UNK
11-30-2015, 06:19 AM
Rich are you a knife maker?

Rich@CCC
11-30-2015, 08:19 AM
I dable. Mostly I just assemble kit knives, but I've ground a couple blades from cut blanks. I really don't have much of a machine shop and no heat treating equipment at all.

UNK
11-30-2015, 09:51 AM
Do you grind before or after heat treat?

I dable. Mostly I just assemble kit knives, but I've ground a couple blades from cut blanks. I really don't have much of a machine shop and no heat treating equipment at all.

Rich@CCC
11-30-2015, 10:18 AM
Typically shaping(stock removal grinding) is done before heat treating but can be done after though it is difficult and you must be extremely careful to not heat the blade excessively. I don't know of anyone who does so on a regular basis.

Wondering Beard
11-30-2015, 11:25 AM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/9d612e8a-0e60-455b-8ebc-7eb9e14e6ada_zpsf8u7vnbw.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/9d612e8a-0e60-455b-8ebc-7eb9e14e6ada_zpsf8u7vnbw.jpg.html)

I picked this up from a collector/dealer at a Gun and Knife Show today.

I have wanted a Bagwell Bowie for years. Obviously Bill Bagwell did not make this knife but it was certainly inspired by his designs. It has a convex grind and a sharpened swedge. Full tang, welded guard and butt with bone scales.

The "finish" is not perfect. There are flaws in the bone scales and their fit is "meh". The scales are not pinned( I will likely drill and pin them) and the blade is scratched in a couple places. however, the assembly is solid, the welds are perfect, the balance is exceptional and the grind is precise.

This was made by someone who loves making knives and will, imho be a a great knife maker with time and experience. I wish I knew who made it! It was bought from a "guy who's buddy made it for him" according to the dealer I bought it from.

It could use some better finishing but the edge geometry looks good. Nice knife.

E.T.A.: I have an Ontario Knives Hell's Belle (production version of the Bagwell design) and it makes me very much want a true Bagwell.

Cheap Shot
11-30-2015, 12:09 PM
Get a trainer for it and do an EWO class

Report back:)