PDA

View Full Version : May be returning to patrol. Upgrades?

Chipster
11-29-2015, 08:32 PM
It looks like after an administration change that the possibility exists that I may end up on patrol. I haven't worked the road since 2005 and although I keep pretty up to date, l was wondering what new tools/gadgets I need to obtain. I've maintained a duty belt and I carry a G17 w/X300u in a Safariland ALS as well as a Taser X26 in a left hand draw Safariland 6280 as well as a couple sets of ASP cuffs, air weight ASP 26, and a tourniquet.

I'd like to get a solid fixed blade knife and would like to stay under $300 bucks for it. Has anyone tried the Keen "Detroit" shoes? I've noticed a couple of younger guys wearing them but I've worn Danners since '97 and always been happy with them. I've also noticed all the road guys wearing secret service type earbuds. Is there a reason for this that I'm not aware of?

Any advise is much appreciated. I'm not to far out of shape at 41 and other than lifting heavier weights and dropping about 20 pounds to quicken up some, I'm actually thinking it may be more fun than interviewing child molesters all day!

Sigfan26
11-29-2015, 08:42 PM
It looks like after an administration change that the possibility exists that I may end up on patrol. I haven't worked the road since 2005 and although I keep pretty up to date, l was wondering what new tools/gadgets I need to obtain. I've maintained a duty belt and I carry a G17 w/X300u in a Safariland ALS as well as a Taser X26 in a left hand draw Safariland 6280 as well as a couple sets of ASP cuffs, air weight ASP 26, and a tourniquet.

I'd like to get a solid fixed blade knife and would like to stay under $300 bucks for it. Has anyone tried the Keen "Detroit" shoes? I've noticed a couple of younger guys wearing them but I've worn Danners since '97 and always been happy with them. I've also noticed all the road guys wearing secret service type earbuds. Is there a reason for this that I'm not aware of?

Any advise is much appreciated. I'm not to far out of shape at 41 and other than lifting heavier weights and dropping about 20 pounds to quicken up some, I'm actually thinking it may be more fun than interviewing child molesters all day!

What blade length do you want on the fixed blade (Max/Min)?

HCM
11-29-2015, 08:47 PM

I'd ditch the ASP cuffs for your choice of all steel cuffs. I know cuffs are temporary restraints but they have some security flaws.

I'm not a patrol guy but ear buds keep dispatch info private, especially now with the push towards plain language comms vs 10 codes. They also help you hear traffic better, especially if you are a gun guy and don't hear so well.

Chipster
11-29-2015, 08:48 PM
There's no regulation but I'd prefer it to be no more than 4-41/2". Something that I can partially conceal so that it's not easy to get at in terms of weapon retention of draw curious eyes/questions. I don't really care for the TDI designs.

pablo
11-29-2015, 09:08 PM
I'd ditch the Airweight ASP baton for a real baton, like an RCB or cocbolo stick, or go to the other end of the spectrum and get a 12"-16" ASP with a pocket clip. I've been carrying a 12" ASP with a pocket clip, it's a very good for knocking on door, poking through piles of clothes and IMO closed it's a better impact weapon than a regular ASP is expanded.

Sigfan26
11-29-2015, 09:17 PM
There's no regulation but I'd prefer it to be no more than 4-41/2". Something that I can partially conceal so that it's not easy to get at in terms of weapon retention of draw curious eyes/questions. I don't really care for the TDI designs.

https://www.boker.de/us/fixed-blade-knife/boker-plus/tactical-knife/02BO057.html

https://www.boker.de/us/fixed-blade-knife/boker-plus/outdoor-knife/02BO055.html

http://m.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=946

http://m.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=914

None of them break the bank, all are super solid. DJ's designs are awesome (I own the Boker Plus Colubris and one of the first run American Kami Mid Tech GITFO's. Either would suit your needs quite well). I've carried both the Spyderco knives (the Reverse is my current carry knife. The standard Street Beat was also in my rotation) as a civilian for CCW.

Hambo
11-30-2015, 09:00 AM
I'd ditch the Airweight ASP baton for a real baton, like an RCB or cocbolo stick, or go to the other end of the spectrum and get a 12"-16" ASP with a pocket clip. I've been carrying a 12" ASP with a pocket clip, it's a very good for knocking on door, poking through piles of clothes and IMO closed it's a better impact weapon than a regular ASP is expanded.

Another vote to ditch the lightweight ASP. I carried a 16" LW while in plain clothes just to have something less lethal. It did not inspire confidence as an impact weapon. Kind of like taking a Pomeranian on calls instead of a German Shepherd. Yes, they're both dogs, but... If I were headed for a patrol car I would carry an RCB or straight stick.

JustOneGun
11-30-2015, 09:46 AM
The radio earbuds are nice for discretion. They are also a pain in the butt. I just assumed the fight or flight was going to happen when the dispatcher called while using the radio. The darn thing kept getting tangled, falling out every time I went through the window, over the wall, etc.

psalms144.1
11-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Ditch the ASP cuffs, and the air weight baton. If you're able to use discretion on impact weapons, a straight stick or Peacekeeper would be my choice. I also have a Bokker Trigonaut (?) that fills the roll for a fixed blade pretty well, and the price is right if I lose it/destroy it/it ends up in evidence. The sheath is crap, but I was able to jury rig a solution for it...

I wear Keen boots all day, every day. The treads can get worn out quickly, but as I wear orthotic insoles, the rounded (and roomy) toe box is a must. I haven't seen or worn the Detroits, though...

Coyotesfan97
11-30-2015, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure how you feel about it but sometimes it's the best thing to go back to uniform and ditch the caseload and pager. Patrol is pretty fun when you've been away for awhile.

I'd ditch the ASP handcuffs for Peerless. My ASP is in a drawer in my car. I've gone to carrying my PR 24 if I think I need a baton. The earpieces are really nice when you're doing a search.

voodoo_man
11-30-2015, 01:50 PM
TDI Hinderer LE blade (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ILFN9AO/) - comes with locking sheath with a belt clip, I carry one everyday on my belt.

Trooper224
11-30-2015, 03:20 PM
The radio earbuds are nice for discretion. They are also a pain in the butt. I just assumed the fight or flight was going to happen when the dispatcher called while using the radio. The darn thing kept getting tangled, falling out every time I went through the window, over the wall, etc.

They also have long term negative effects on your hearing. I used to use one on SWAT, since avoiding a sqwak up on the radio was a good thing when creeping through the bushes, etc. Now, I see some of the young guys using them primarily for the cool factor they think it imparts.

voodoo_man
11-30-2015, 03:31 PM
They also have long term negative effects on your hearing. I used to use one on SWAT, since avoiding a sqwak up on the radio was a good thing when creeping through the bushes, etc. Now, I see some of the young guys using them primarily for the cool factor they think it imparts.

Gata look the part....

BehindBlueI's
11-30-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm on our department's ERG (Event Response Group) that, among other things, is tasked with crowd control. We are issued this doo-dad for a headset: http://www.radioparts.com/parts-accessories/audio/motorola-ntn1723?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&gclid=CIa4lrWBuckCFcKGaQod0b4Htg

It's pricey, but it works well for being able to hear in loud environments where a traditional mic would be overwhelmed. It transmits ok in MOST background noise environments, but you still can't transmit worth a damn near an Indy Car race. I'm sure this isn't a concern for most folks, but the exhaust note from the cars is apparently exactly right to screw with a mic that picks up bone vibration to transmit.

pablo
11-30-2015, 06:26 PM

I quit using one after I started having pain deep in my left ear, thought maybe it was just me.

Chipster
11-30-2015, 07:33 PM
I've only carried the airweight ASP for breaking glass and such not so much for DT purposes but I'll definitely look into putting a straight baton in the car. I'm issued a Motorola bone mic headset that's blue toothed, but it seems like the majority of the younger guys are plugging an earpiece into the lapel mic. When I left the road I was still using a belt swivel and hadn't really grasped the lapel mic fad but it's definitely more popular now. I just hate having a coiled cord running up the front of me and potentially tying up my hands. I have both Peerless and Hiatts but I liked the dual side unlocking feature of the ASP's. I'm not aware of a breakage issue with the cuffs but I haven't really looked too much so I may not be fully informed on them. It seems like I see cuffs more often now in the front and on straps. Under the advantage of the front placement but what's the deal with the cuff straps?

I'll probably wear my external vest carrier but seeing this is Indiana, is there any great strides in cold weather gear that I may have missed? I had a Trooper tell me to get police snowmobile pants. I assume Blaier makes them but I'm sure they're priced like they are laced with gold! I'll see if somebody else is making a dark navy type.

Thanks so far! I found out for sure tomorrow if I go back.

MD7305
11-30-2015, 07:39 PM
I might get some hate over this suggestion but maybe a Body Worn Camera (BWC)? I guess that's all department, policy, personally dependent but I've really come to appreciate mine.

pablo
11-30-2015, 08:27 PM

IMO the biggest issue with ASP cuffs is that it's very easy to get the single strands outside of the cuff. The springiness that makes it almost impossible to pry the cheek plates apart has it's downsides.

The keyholes on both sides mean that there is always a set of key holes pointing down that make them a little easier to pick than it should be. If ASP just had key holes on one side they'd be some of the hardest single pawl cuffs to pick. They have deep, tightly cut keyholes and 270 degree key rotation. The ASP high security locks are pretty tough to pick but they need a special key.

Edited:

BTW If you have ASP or S&W cuffs with slotted double locks you can seriously up the security on you handcuffs by running cable ties through the slots.

BehindBlueI's
11-30-2015, 08:34 PM
I might get some hate over this suggestion but maybe a Body Worn Camera (BWC)? I guess that's all department, policy, personally dependent but I've really come to appreciate mine.

Voice recorder helped save my backside twice. Once on an in custody death. It was just a ink pen that recorded and had a usb plug in that was real simple to use.

Chipster
11-30-2015, 08:52 PM
We are required to wear the issues Taser body camera at all times when in uniform.

KeeFus
11-30-2015, 09:59 PM
Voice recorder helped save my backside twice. Once on an in custody death. It was just a ink pen that recorded and had a usb plug in that was real simple to use.

Ditto the voice recorder. I stopped a local community leader a few years ago. Luckily I read the situation correctly and had my recorder going (this was before we had in-car cameras). The next day the chief was at the PD wanting my ass in a frying pan. Long story short the chief had to eat crow along with his lying ass political buddy. I still have it in my car and use it occasionally. That incident led us to eventually getting in-car cameras.

I hate the idea of body cams but even if it captures little video it will get the audio.

tanner
12-01-2015, 03:26 AM
BTW If you have ASP or S&W cuffs with slotted double locks you can seriously up the security on you handcuffs by running cable ties through the slots.

Are you disabling the double locks when you do this? How would that improve the security of the cuffs?

Wouldn't this cause injury due to the cuffs ratcheting down when seating the suspects? It would violate policy at my place for sure.

pablo
12-01-2015, 08:24 AM
Are you disabling the double locks when you do this? How would that improve the security of the cuffs?

Wouldn't this cause injury due to the cuffs ratcheting down when seating the suspects? It would violate policy at my place for sure.

Double lock first, then put the ties through the slots. The ties prevent the double lock from unlocking. They can't be bumped or unlocked with a key with the ties on there. It takes something relatively big to break the cable ties. Hidden cuffs key's, shims and pieces of wire are easy to miss in a search. Nail clippers, files, knives, pliers, etc shouldn't be missed.

Chuck Whitlock
12-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Ditto on the ASP cuffs. In addition to getting the single strand on the outside, we had a couple of folks bend the links on the hinges. Although, a co-worker has some folding rigid cuffs that seem like they'd have advantages:

https://asp-usa.com/store/restraints/product/7079-rigid-handcuffs-steel

I like the S&W Universal cuffs. I have two chained, but am having a hard time finding a hinged pair. They require oversized cases, but should fit in your ASP cases.

I really like an earpiece on patrol. If your portable is a supported model, I prefer this:

http://www.amazon.com/EP1323QR-Lapel-Microphone-Quick-Release/dp/B004IMHNWE/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448979940&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=hawk+alpel+mic

The mic is small and unobtrusive, but still works well. I run the wires under my shirt/concealed vest. Wire has QD connector, which lets you use the radio like a normal handheld radio. One of the main things is to use an earpiece that doesn't block out ambient noise, and there are at least 3 different ones I'm aware of that do that. Unfortunately, my current agency is using an ancient portable that is not supported.

Chipster
12-01-2015, 09:21 PM
Ok I got the final decision today. I'll be going to day shift patrol until Julyish when I'll be transferred to second shift 3p-11p in a detectives position again. We are having huge manpower issues (we will have hired 9 new people in the last 16 months out of a 20 man department) and I get the reassignment is needed. It'll be a big change as the new Chief specifically is putting me on second shift to put out our "fires" and not work primarily on child and sex abuse cases (I'm capable but it's never really been my passion). It'll also free up my time to put on more/needed training and will probably include me working drugs again. So while the patrol gig is temporary, I still want to do it right. I've dug out my old Hiatts and I'm going tomorrow to get new handcuff pouches and go boot shopping since my last Danners were bought around 2002. I'll probably pick up a neck gaiters for the cold weather and a pouch of some sort for my tourniquet. Any other suggestions are very much appreciated.

John Hearne
12-01-2015, 09:41 PM
I don't think ear pieces are just for CDI points. Being able to hear radio traffic in noisy environments is pretty handy. Also, not letting everyone hear your radio has other advantages. If you read the debrief of the Navy Yard active shooter, you find that the bad guy was able to protracted the chase by 30 minutes by listening to the constant radio traffic of the officers hunting him. The need for earpieces was a major lesson learned from that event.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

JR1572
12-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Ok I got the final decision today. I'll be going to day shift patrol until Julyish when I'll be transferred to second shift 3p-11p in a detectives position again. We are having huge manpower issues (we will have hired 9 new people in the last 16 months out of a 20 man department) and I get the reassignment is needed. It'll be a big change as the new Chief specifically is putting me on second shift to put out our "fires" and not work primarily on child and sex abuse cases (I'm capable but it's never really been my passion). It'll also free up my time to put on more/needed training and will probably include me working drugs again. So while the patrol gig is temporary, I still want to do it right. I've dug out my old Hiatts and I'm going tomorrow to get new handcuff pouches and go boot shopping since my last Danners were bought around 2002. I'll probably pick up a neck gaiters for the cold weather and a pouch of some sort for my tourniquet. Any other suggestions are very much appreciated.

I got my Danner Patrol Boots back from recrafting at Danner last year. They're as good as new.

JR1572

stinx
12-02-2015, 06:30 AM
Blauer makes some lightweight gortex type pants. Pickup a pair and keep them in your patrol bag, the pants block wind ,and will keep you dry. The pants slip on easily over your regular patrol pants. I have used mine during snow storms, traffic details etc. IN patrol you never know when you will have to be out in the elements for long periods of time.

GRV
12-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Since we're talking Danners, how do you guys feel about their weight when running? I recently got a pair of safety-toe acadias. I love them, and they're comfortable as hell for standing around. However, I refer to them "brick-shithouse boots" for a reason, and I can't imagine running in them without taking a serious performance hit. Not to mention the heel slips a little.

I figure some sort of sneaker/trail-shoe, or at least more athletic/lighter style boots, would make more sense for patrol, but I still see people talk about the acadias a lot so I'm curious to hear the wisdom on that.

Ptrlcop
12-02-2015, 02:11 PM

I've been wearing one for ten years. My recent hearing test showed no measurable loss since my pre hiring screening...

I never worry about squelch, bad guys can't hear it, I can hear the radio in loud environments like bars. Hearing my main Channel in my ear also helps me differentiate between it and all the freqs my squad radio scans.

But YA, it's purely for the CDI..... Rolls eyes

vcdgrips
12-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Full Disclosure- I am not a police officer. My recommendation is based on my time as an Adult Leader with Boy Scouts.

Patagonia Capeline baselayers. They don not hold stink relative to other synthetics, are much more durable that comparable weight merino wool and they are a Godsend on cold and windy days.

John Hearne
12-02-2015, 09:39 PM
Actually found the Navy Yard AAR. This is a .gov document so copyright should be non-issue. Relevant parts:

"SUMMARY: The environment created several tactical disadvantages. When Alexis shot and
injured the MPD officer, Alexis was hiding in a dense cubicle area with narrow pathways. The
officer was making his way down the pathway, clearing cubicles as he passed, and believes that
his radio, which was not attached to an earpiece, may have given away his location."

"MPD is in the process of obtaining and distributing earpieces to all of its members. The
extensive noise and sensory overload may result in officers not being able to hear all radio
communications. The fire alarm in Building 197 complicated communications, especially for
officers searching for the shooter. Earpieces will allow officers to better hear communications in
loud environments and also keep radio communications from potentially giving away the
officers’ position to a shooter."

Source: http://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/mpdc/publication/attachments/MPD%20AAR_Navy%20Yard_Posting_07-2014.pdf

secondstoryguy
12-03-2015, 06:21 AM
Earpieces are mandatory IMHO. There are no reasons not to wear one. I prefer the models that plug into the handheld factory speakermic not the units that have a mic separately connected by wires. If you run an earpiece that comes off a speaker mic and it comes out or is damaged during a fight or foot pursuit you will still have two way comms.

taadski
12-03-2015, 11:13 AM
I prefer the models that plug into the handheld factory speakermic not the units that have a mic separately connected by wires.

Not to derail, but which one do you recommend?

t

Ptrlcop
12-03-2015, 11:00 PM

t

We are issued these and they work well:
http://www.earphoneconnect.com/product_industries.asp?IndustryID=13

taadski
12-03-2015, 11:29 PM
We are issued these and they work well:
http://www.earphoneconnect.com/product_industries.asp?IndustryID=13

Thanks dude. Been looking at those. We're issued the Hawk model and while they function well, I keep breaking the quick connect on them and went back to a standard mic a few months ago. That looks like a good compromise. I'll probably try one. Thanks again.

t

Lon
12-03-2015, 11:39 PM

t

I've used earphone connection, but I prefer Otto Engineering:

http://www.ottoexcellence.com/products/one-wire-earphone-kit/

John Hearne
12-04-2015, 08:51 AM
I've been playing around with different earpieces for several years now. I think the long term best option is a bluetooth earpiece. I've tried three different models (Motorola and two generations of the Nighthawk) but have not kept any of them. I think we're another generation or two away from having something that I'll keep.

This is what I'm using currently:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/ajp3jeh/Gun%20Stuff/earpiece_zpseyj50oef.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/ajp3jeh/media/Gun%20Stuff/earpiece_zpseyj50oef.jpg.html)

It's a Tactical Command listen only. One of my gripes is that the default wear method is a pain in the ass to don and doff. By routing everything through the microphone cable, it is very easy to take everything on and off. I have not found anyone who makes a short, non-coiled wire so getting it setup is a pain as you have to run it back and forth and secure with zip ties. The round plastic transducer comes out so that it lies under my epaulet so it isn't even visible. Once setup it does work very well.

Chipster
12-11-2015, 07:18 PM
I've been playing around with different earpieces for several years now. I think the long term best option is a bluetooth earpiece. I've tried three different models (Motorola and two generations of the Nighthawk) but have not kept any of them. I think we're another generation or two away from having something that I'll keep.

This is what I'm using currently:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/ajp3jeh/Gun%20Stuff/earpiece_zpseyj50oef.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/ajp3jeh/media/Gun%20Stuff/earpiece_zpseyj50oef.jpg.html)

It's a Tactical Command listen only. One of my gripes is that the default wear method is a pain in the ass to don and doff. By routing everything through the microphone cable, it is very easy to take everything on and off. I have not found anyone who makes a short, non-coiled wire so getting it setup is a pain as you have to run it back and forth and secure with zip ties. The round plastic transducer comes out so that it lies under my epaulet so it isn't even visible. Once setup it does work very well.

This looks like what I'll probably run for now. The Bluetooth setup I have apparently doesn't transmit well enough for dispatch. I was just talking to the command and they're thinking it maybe shorter than what I initially thought.

taadski
12-11-2015, 11:02 PM
I wound up ordering a Fox 6" listen only rig from Earphone Connect to try. Rationale was (1) it jives with replacement parts we already have in stock and (2) it plugs direct into the remote mic, taking the weak link (at least the one I've experienced) out of the system. I also think the full sized mics transmit a touch better than the mini-PTTs that come with the Hawk model. Only a few shifts with it so far but it's functioning as expected and I really like the convenience of not having to lace the wires through my uniform shirt and vest.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Casey
12-13-2015, 05:40 AM
Tactical Command Industries is good to go. I use the TACT-LITE (http://www.safariland.com/tact-lite-earpieces/tact-lite-earpiece-system-with-right-angle-3.5-mm-1-8in-connection-T%2FL_3.5.html#start=1) model. I highly recommend upgrading to the Soundwaves earcoil, as the audio quality is significantly improved over the standard acoustic tube. My original lasted for three years of use in an industrial facility before the speaker got damaged due to me not cleaning the tube often enough; TCI replaced the audio module for a reasonable price. Two years later and it's still going strong.

I also have a two-wire setup from TCI, but for overt use I prefer the speaker mic/earpiece combination for the same reason stated by secondstoryguy—if the earpiece craps out I can quickly unplug it and use the speaker mic without having to unscrew an attachment from the radio. And I've found that the larger speaker mic is a bit easier to quickly locate on my vest than the smaller surveillance style microphones.

secondstoryguy
12-13-2015, 10:36 AM
The sound waves earcoil is the only way to go. I buy my listen only earpieces from PCL Communications(https://shoppcl.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=91) These are simply a small jack that plugs into your speaker mic, a coiled cord, and a Soundwaves type earcoil. The are less expensive than the other ones and do not have the the connector/joint in the middle that is just one more thing to fail. Expect to get a year or so out of them or more with hard use.

On the topic of earpieces I highly recommend that you buy an extra as they are quasi disposable and when they fail it's usually pretty sudden.

Casey
12-15-2015, 01:51 AM
Hmm. I may have to look into those if my TCI dies again. For what I paid TCI to replace the earcoil, I could have purchased an entirely new setup from PCL for about $20 more.

Agreed about having a spare handy. When my original died, I bought a second one and now keep it as a spare in my work bag, along with a couple extra ear molds.

voodoo_man
12-15-2015, 09:04 AM
...do none of you guys use a mic anymore?

I tried the secret service thing and it just doesn't work for me.

Ptrlcop
12-15-2015, 09:29 AM
...do none of you guys use a mic anymore?

I tried the secret service thing and it just doesn't work for me.

In my agency of 100 there may be about 5 people that don't use one and they get looked at sideways by everybody when they walk up to a call and you can hear their radio blaring a half block away...Or when everybody has to drop what they are doing to check on the luddite who isn't answering their radio because they turned it down so they can have a normal conversation with somebody. ;-)

voodoo_man
12-15-2015, 10:21 AM
In my agency of 100 there may be about 5 people that don't use one and they get looked at sideways by everybody when they walk up to a call and you can hear their radio blaring a half block away...Or when everybody has to drop what they are doing to check on the luddite who isn't answering their radio because they turned it down so they can have a normal conversation with somebody. ;-)

...only a boot can't figure out how to have a convo and listen to the radio at the same time ;)

Lon
12-16-2015, 08:42 PM
It took me some getting used to, but I prefer it now. A lot of our repeat offenders know our codes for when someone has a warrant and will either take off running or start fighting when they hear them over the radio. Nice knowing they can't hear what I hear.

Here's the Otto Engineering earpiece I plug into my speaker mic:

Here's a earpiece/mic I bought earlier this year from planet headset. It completely replaces the speaker mic. I bought it to use on plainclothes details and it works great for that. I've also used it for some SWAT stuff. Now that I'm the Team Commander it has only been used around the CP on missions and in training sessions. If/when I go back to patrol (I might be getting promoted soon) I'm gonna give it a try on patrol. Not sure how it will do in the rain. It was only $80 iirc. The only thing I don't like about it is the cord is pretty long and can get in the way.

Chuck Whitlock
12-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Lon,

If you replace the "acorn" earpiece with one of these:

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/hearing-protection/earpieces-and-accessories/ep2-commear-boost.html
or
http://www.lapolicegear.com/earphone-conn-ghost-earmold.html

not only will it be more comfortable, but you can hear ambient sound from that ear as well.

eta: Found it on your site:

http://www.planetheadset.com/replacement-parts.php#moldedearpiece

Coyotesfan97
12-21-2015, 06:46 PM
We get issued Lon's setup. I use a Surefire earpiece. I keep it attached to my outer carrier.

Lon
12-21-2015, 09:59 PM
Lon,

If you replace the "acorn" earpiece with one of these:

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/hearing-protection/earpieces-and-accessories/ep2-commear-boost.html
or
http://www.lapolicegear.com/earphone-conn-ghost-earmold.html

not only will it be more comfortable, but you can hear ambient sound from that ear as well.

eta: Found it on your site:

http://www.planetheadset.com/replacement-parts.php#moldedearpiece

Thanks. I'll check that out. Had the SF ear plugs and liked em.

NCmtnman
12-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Just wanted to put my .02 in...

I went through a similar decision where I was issued a mic but saw a lot of guys running the ear pieces which I thought was only for the "cool guys". Turns out that after spending some time underneath a hovering helicopter (30ft off the deck), I made the switch to the earpiece as I couldn't hear my mic. My progression to a dedicated ear piece as well as a small push button lapel mic happened a few weeks later when I got my Motorola mic hung up in some mesquite and then later on that same mic fell off while chasing a subject. To add insult to injury, the mic bounced off of my M4, onto my boot, then into my face.

The less gear to get hung up the better for me. I also preferred to be the only one listening to dispatch.

brooklynbacon
12-25-2015, 06:08 PM
I'm the opposite...I don't like all that buffy ass secret service mic crap..the perps know our codes anyways..something no one has touched on that's important..having a good flashlight or two. I recommend the Surefire (anything really) Fury light. It's bright as hell, and you can never have enough light. Also, practice drawing from your duty holster. Since you were in the land of the cheap suits for a while, you probably just had a belt holster on. Do some draws and reloads from your full battle rattle..good luck and welcome back to the bag..

EM_
12-26-2015, 09:36 AM
...only a boot can't figure out how to have a convo and listen to the radio at the same time ;)

Ya that was pretty 101 level stuff when I was still in the patrol game. LOL.

Ok...I've only been out of patrol a few years (and shudder at the thought of going back after 14 years)...but I'll add my $0.02 since my time was relatively recent.

Earbuds are a good call, just take a little getting used to. I found them very valuable in loud environments, which seemed to happen quite a bit (violent domestics, bar calls, etc.) and they didn't hurt to make sure you don't miss anything on the late, ahem, 'quiet' nights...I think the trick is in trying a few styles and sizes until you find the comfy ones.

I've not tried that particular Keen model, but the others are all comfortable as hell and anymore that's one of my main requirements. I don't know how well they hold up, but that was never a sticking point for me in patrol as per the contract we got one pair per year.

I actually liked the ASP cuffs, but they were my second pair, not my primaries. I gave them the nod understanding they were not as strong, but my back needed less weight. I just used normal issued peerless cuffs up front, and the backups...in back...

Always wore a backup gun, spare flashlight (still prefer SureFire), spare mags (I liked the newish safariland mag pouch that used 3 spare mags facing outboard, but didn't take up more space than the two mag pouch). If your agency allows the exterior vests then one thing that helped my back and hips a lot was the duty suspenders worn beneath the exterior armor.

And I never found any ASP very useful, so I ditched that completely and carried a wood baton. That's probably a policy thing though, and for us it was still allowed.

For the knife at a price point of "won't care if I lose it" I like the Spyderco Endura/Delica line, especially with a Waved feature. I might upgrade that to Benchmade, but only for the ones that are US made, and that's just a thing for me. If I can buy US, I do, but not at the cost of food out of my kids mouths.

It must've been nice for you guys who worked in places the recorder could be used. In IL that would have been committing a felony. Gotta love two party consent...

voodoo_man
12-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Ya that was pretty 101 level stuff when I was still in the patrol game. LOL.

Ok...I've only been out of patrol a few years (and shudder at the thought of going back after 14 years)...but I'll add my $0.02 since my time was relatively recent.

Earbuds are a good call, just take a little getting used to. I found them very valuable in loud environments, which seemed to happen quite a bit (violent domestics, bar calls, etc.) and they didn't hurt to make sure you don't miss anything on the late, ahem, 'quiet' nights...I think the trick is in trying a few styles and sizes until you find the comfy ones.

I've not tried that particular Keen model, but the others are all comfortable as hell and anymore that's one of my main requirements. I don't know how well they hold up, but that was never a sticking point for me in patrol as per the contract we got one pair per year.

I actually liked the ASP cuffs, but they were my second pair, not my primaries. I gave them the nod understanding they were not as strong, but my back needed less weight. I just used normal issued peerless cuffs up front, and the backups...in back...

Always wore a backup gun, spare flashlight (still prefer SureFire), spare mags (I liked the newish safariland mag pouch that used 3 spare mags facing outboard, but didn't take up more space than the two mag pouch). If your agency allows the exterior vests then one thing that helped my back and hips a lot was the duty suspenders worn beneath the exterior armor.

And I never found any ASP very useful, so I ditched that completely and carried a wood baton. That's probably a policy thing though, and for us it was still allowed.

For the knife at a price point of "won't care if I lose it" I like the Spyderco Endura/Delica line, especially with a Waved feature. I might upgrade that to Benchmade, but only for the ones that are US made, and that's just a thing for me. If I can buy US, I do, but not at the cost of food out of my kids mouths.

It must've been nice for you guys who worked in places the recorder could be used. In IL that would have been committing a felony. Gotta love two party consent...

Loud environments = turn radio up, it has volume switch for a reason ;)

ASP's are great, if you know how to use them properly they are an essential tool in police work. I do not mean striking, I don't even remember the last time I hit someone with an ASP, but I've used it to take people down, take people of cars (primary use) and for that it works great.

EM_
12-26-2015, 01:46 PM
Loud environments = turn radio up, it has volume switch for a reason ;)

ASP's are great, if you know how to use them properly they are an essential tool in police work. I do not mean striking, I don't even remember the last time I hit someone with an ASP, but I've used it to take people down, take people of cars (primary use) and for that it works great.

Did a lot of window breaking and door knocking with them...as an impact weapon they never did do it for me, and it wasn't lack of training (I was an instructor for years) I just didn't have the confidence after an ugly early incident. I always got better results with the hickory.

Side note I still preferred the C cell Maglite for car stops as it could be tucked under the arm to conduct the stop but also worked very well for other things very well in an emergency.

brooklynbacon
12-26-2015, 09:47 PM
Did a lot of window breaking and door knocking with them...as an impact weapon they never did do it for me, and it wasn't lack of training (I was an instructor for years) I just didn't have the confidence after an ugly early incident. I always got better results with the hickory.

Side note I still preferred the C cell Maglite for car stops as it could be tucked under the arm to conduct the stop but also worked very well for other things very well in an emergency.

If you still like the mag-lite, there's a modification for it now, where you can turn it into a 1000 lumen LED light..just a bulb change and some minor wiring. I'm sure someone on here has the link to the guy who does it. I'll ask around, as I know there was a guy here in South Florida, who used to do it.

EM_
12-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Cool idea. No longer out doing dangerous things in the dark ;) but I keep one in my wifes rig. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks!