PDA

View Full Version : The Deadly Mix

NETim
11-26-2015, 11:32 PM
During a recent "Unthinkable" class with that Aprill fella, he recommended that the attendees read "The Deadly Mix", an article published back in '07 in an FBI bulletin.

https://leb.fbi.gov/2007-pdfs/leb-january-2007

While its intended audience is obviously law enforcement, us private citizen types will find value in it as well.

voodoo_man
11-27-2015, 05:36 AM
In a LEOKA class i took the instructor went over this info. He called it "highest statistical probability of deadly force" in reference to locations, people, demeanor and outcome based on documented cases.

What does it mean to the average joe ccw citizen? There are some places and people you dont want to be or meet there because of what may happen next. Not really new info, but just concepts put into words you can refer to.

NETim
11-27-2015, 09:03 AM
In a LEOKA class i took the instructor went over this info. He called it "highest statistical probability of deadly force" in reference to locations, people, demeanor and outcome based on documented cases.

What does it mean to the average joe ccw citizen? There are some places and people you dont want to be or meet there because of what may happen next. Not really new info, but just concepts put into words you can refer to.

Not only that, but how a person carries themself, i.e., the visual cues they give off, plays a major role in the "selection/de-selection" process. That "thin slicing" concept validated so to speak.

voodoo_man
11-27-2015, 09:47 AM
Not only that, but how a person carries themself, i.e., the visual cues they give off, plays a major role in the "selection/de-selection" process. That "thin slicing" concept validated so to speak.

Copy paste the thin slicing part so people dont have to look.

Chuck Haggard
11-27-2015, 09:57 AM
If one can get ahold of the bigger studies, such as the excellent "Violent Encounters", it's great reading for everyone who is a student of personal defense and how criminals operate.

Tamara
11-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Reading it did remind me about something I first read here, I believe. Namely that in the typical LE incident, it's the good guy that initiates the interaction and the bad guy that initiates the fight, while in the CCW context, those roles are reversed.

SeriousStudent
11-28-2015, 03:15 PM
If one can get ahold of the bigger studies, such as the excellent "Violent Encounters", it's great reading for everyone who is a student of personal defense and how criminals operate.

Is this the study you are referring to?

http://www.secondcalldefense.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/Violent-Encounters.pdf

If so, many thanks.

Chuck Haggard
11-28-2015, 03:28 PM
Is this the study you are referring to?

http://www.secondcalldefense.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/Violent-Encounters.pdf

If so, many thanks.

Yes, it is.

As to what Tamara posted, I've noted several times in the past that one serious issue that is often not considered in police shooting hit rates is that the cop is often in massive initiative deficit, and may already have been shot. That kind of affects one's accuracy and such. The roles often reverse in the typical CCW dude vs street robbery suspect.