PDA

View Full Version : CMP 1911 Sales allowed!

olstyn
11-26-2015, 09:32 AM
Apparently somehow Obama was persuaded to sign the bill with the CMP 1911 thing intact. The several brief articles I read about it didn't make it clear when sales would actually start, and I imagine they'll be too expensive for me to afford, but it's cool to see nonetheless. It would be neat to own a WWII era one like my grandfather would probably have carried (he was a navigator on a bomber, there are conflicting reports on what those guys were issued, and he's not around anymore to ask).

ralph
11-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Well, Happy Thanksgiving indeed! I'm sure these will sell fast.. If I had the coin, I'd consider it..

Robinson
11-27-2015, 12:23 PM
So now the CMP is able to sell the guns, but I think the President still has to release them from the Dept. of the Army(?). Which means it might not happen real soon.

Drang
11-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Didn't see this when I posted about the Defense Authorization Bill. (Defense Authorization Bill was signed Wednesday (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18117-Defense-Authorization-Bill-was-signed-Wednesday))
Here is what the NRA-ILA had to say:

Rounding out the list of pro-gun provisions is section 1087, which restores authorization to the Secretary of Defense to transfer to the Civilian Marksmanship Program surplus M1911 and M1911A1 .45 ACP pistols for sale to the public. The component of the CMP that dispenses the pistols would be required to obtain a federal firearms license and abide by all requirements of the Gun Control Act pertaining to licensed sales and transfers. Currently, the military has some 100,000 such pistols that it no longer needs and that are being stored as taxpayer expense. These historically-significant firearms can now be transferred to law-abiding owners at a net gain to the government’s heavily-indebted balance sheet.
My guess would be, no action until sometime in late January, 2017, at the earliest.

olstyn
11-27-2015, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I'm sure it'll be a while before we hear anything concrete, but at least the news is positive, anyway.