PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with Long Guns

rob_s
11-25-2015, 08:40 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find a recent thread. With the holidays upon us and many of us hitting the road with family, I'm curious how people transport and secure long-guns, if you do. Also what support gear you bring with you and how you transport and secure that (ammo, mags, even a plate carrier, etc.).

My specific concerns are that the transporting be unobtrusive, or even invisible, to the family (especially the kids and then extended family at the destination). It also should be able to be secured, both the case or bag in the vehicle (and at the destination hotel/relative's home, etc.) as well as the rifle inside the case or bag.

My first thought is Pelican case, with lock and cable, which seems to trip all of the boxes with the possible exception of being invisible.

Rapid deployment isn't a concern for me, but if it is for you I'd be curious to hear how you address it.

JHC
11-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Recent year Subaru's have this amazing cut out storage space under the flat rear compartment floorboard that is just made for a short long gun. AR carbine or Win 94 just perfect.

AR separated in half fits into all manner of inobtrusive duffle bags, without spending $$$ for Noveske class purpose built bags.

rob_s
11-25-2015, 09:05 AM
Recent year Subaru's have this amazing cut out storage space under the flat rear compartment floorboard that is just made for a short long gun. AR carbine or Win 94 just perfect.

now that you mention it, we have a brand-new Honda pilot with a rear sub-floor that I need to see what fits. My only concern there is that the rifle becomes totally boxed in when on the road, but judicious stacking of other luggage could minimize the impact there.

I'm generally opposed to break-down cases but in thinking about it now it may make that walk into grandma & grandpa's house a little less conspicuous.

Chuck Haggard
11-25-2015, 10:15 AM
I tend to take my Kel Tec sub2000 with me when I am not taking a real long gun. Going to classes I'd obviously be using the carbine, going hunting it would be the gun choice for what we are hunting, etc. The KT folds into a laptop case, fits into my Camelback pack, or just drops folded into the top on my bag when going into/out of hotels and such. That it takes the same ammo and magazines as my Glocks is a plus.

I am seriously considering selling the KT and putting together an AR pistol for this role.

LSP552
11-25-2015, 01:20 PM
This is something I should probably do better at. If I'm going hunting, or visiting family where I might hunt/plink/throw skeet, it's the rifle or shotgun I'd use. Here in LA, there is zero problem with a long gun in the car, and most trucks this time of the year probably have either a deer rifle or duck gun in the cab.

I usually just carry a full-size pistol and a couple of extra mags and call it good. Lazy I guess. The AR sits in the safe at home because I'm lazy, and I don't go to places where a #BlackLivesMatter event is likely to happen.

shooter220
11-25-2015, 01:21 PM
now that you mention it, we have a brand-new Honda pilot with a rear sub-floor that I need to see what fits. My only concern there is that the rifle becomes totally boxed in when on the road, but judicious stacking of other luggage could minimize the impact there.

I'm generally opposed to break-down cases but in thinking about it now it may make that walk into grandma & grandpa's house a little less conspicuous.

I think you will find that the rear sub-floor is capable of holding a decent amount of stuff. One limit it has is the "front to back" dimension though - I can see where a case with an AR in it would be getting to tall for that area. However, if you are game to experiment, I can see how a lot of different options could be made to work. I haven't bothered to experiment with ours - it is my wife's car. Also, ours is a couple years old, I don't know how much they changed that space in the redesign.

-shooter

SeriousStudent
11-25-2015, 11:52 PM

I am seriously considering selling the KT and putting together an AR pistol for this role.

Which is exactly what I did. BCM 11.5" upper, LAW Gen 2 folding stock adapter. It travels in a Camelbak backpack. You are more than welcome to test it the next time you are in town.

I also have a Winchester Model 12 shotgun that disassembles into a sling bag, aka, "The Ronco Pocket Shotgun".

I built these specifically for travel.

Cookie Monster
11-26-2015, 12:10 AM
A friend of mine cut out the brackets underneath the back seats that fold up, then had Highway Products build a custom lockable aluminum storage box.

breakingtime91
11-26-2015, 12:29 AM
16 inch bcm middie fits in the back of my durango.. Also managed to fit a low pro plate carried (slickster from ferro concepts) and a quick on mag pouch with it...

Surf
11-26-2015, 03:05 AM
I have several Pelican and Storm cases of various sizes. I use them for guns and my gear when I travel. I have a piggy back carriage set up where I strap a smaller case to the rolling rifle case for ease of getting around. I also take a cable and extra locks.

I am not worried about the extended family situation as everyone understands what I do professionally and quite honestly the majority of my family are hunters / shooters. I have had my profession longer than I have had the wife and kids so my / our lifestyle is completely normal to them. They are used to packing the maximum allowed weight limit of ammunition in each of their suitcases.

Beat Trash
11-26-2015, 12:02 PM
IF I'm flying, I only take a pistol in my check in bag.

If I'm traveling by car, I'll take an AR. Depending on where I'm going, I will use a small blue case I bought from Brownells that you take down the upper and lower.
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/gun-storage/gun-cases/ar-15-m16-ultra-compact-discreet-rifle-case-prod41025.aspx

Lately, I've used a case made by a company called Vanquest. I use this to take my Patrol Rifle to and from work without having to separate the upper and lower.
http://www.vanquest.com/products/rackit-36-covert-rifle-pack.html

I can put a small luggage lock on either bag if necessary. But I mainly travel for vacation. Any family I may travel to wouldn't care.

I have an extra discreet bag that holds a small chest rig with a few extra magazines.

Malamute
11-26-2015, 12:27 PM
I also have a Winchester Model 12 shotgun that disassembles into a sling bag, aka, "The Ronco Pocket Shotgun".

Have a model 12 takedown in a black case, it lays pretty much invisibly on top of the black duffel I take in motel rooms for overnights. Several primary/favorite pistols in that bag also. Other long guns are buried under junk in SUV. 94 Winchester carbine behind the seat goes into the room also. I have certain places I like to stay, away from large cities, travel in winter, good dog walking places and rooms I can always park right outside my window and close to the door. I never leave the room with things in it, just overnight and hit the road. Going to try a camera on the vehicle with hand held monitor.

No problem once I get where I'm going.

ReverendMeat
11-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Flying, pistol only preferably.

Driving, AR in a guitar case.

Riding, Steyr AUG in a backpack.

Chuck Haggard
11-26-2015, 01:08 PM
Which is exactly what I did. BCM 11.5" upper, LAW Gen 2 folding stock adapter. It travels in a Camelbak backpack. You are more than welcome to test it the next time you are in town.

I've thought about setting up a similar model 12 for going to states that hate ARs and freedom when I have to. I'd make the AR pistol a pistol and not an SBR due to issues in travelling state-to-state or through some states.

I'll have to check that out when I get down for Paul's class

Surf
11-26-2015, 01:25 PM
I guess I should add that pretty much everywhere I go is going to involve the airlines.

rob_s
11-27-2015, 08:23 AM
IF I'm flying, I only take a pistol in my check in bag.

If I'm traveling by car, I'll take an AR. Depending on where I'm going, I will use a small blue case I bought from Brownells that you take down the upper and lower.
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/gun-storage/gun-cases/ar-15-m16-ultra-compact-discreet-rifle-case-prod41025.aspx

Lately, I've used a case made by a company called Vanquest. I use this to take my Patrol Rifle to and from work without having to separate the upper and lower.
http://www.vanquest.com/products/rackit-36-covert-rifle-pack.html

I can put a small luggage lock on either bag if necessaryr. But I mainly travel for vacation. Any family I may travel to wouldn't care.

I have an extra discreet bag that holds a small chest rig with a few extra magazines.

On the Rackit, any idea on outside width and length? Room for a small vest rig in there anywhere?

Beat Trash
11-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Rob,

Just measured my Rackit.

Outside length is 35.5", outside width is 14".

The exterior pocket is larger than you might expect. The exterior pocket is 19" long and 11.5" wide. It has velcro sewn on the back of the pocket. I placed a double magazine pouch designed with velcro on it's back in the pocket. Depending on your definition of a small vest, you could definitely put one into the exterior pocket.

For a point of reference, gun I use as my Patrol Rifle at work is a BCM upper consisting of a 14.5" ELWf barrel with a BCM Mod1 flash suppressor pined on. The lower is a DD lower with a 6 position extension and has a Magpul MOE-SL stock. The stock is either one or two positions from fully closed, depending on weather and if I wear a coat at work or not. With a Aimpoint T1 and a inserted 30 rd PMAG, this gun fits into the bag with no issues or having to adjust the stock.

I could stick something under the bungee cords like a t shirt or scarf to further break up the lines of the bag if I wanted to.

The finger loops on the end of the zippers permit quick and easy opening should it be necessary. The design of the sling actually works. When I'm leaving for work, I tend to have too much crap to carry, including my lunch, that it's nice to toss this over a shoulder.

To be up front, I have zero affiliation with the company that makes or sells this bag. And if I were talking about traveling by air like Surf does, then the conversation would start and end around a pelican case and some very good locks.

But as an LEO who's neighbors do not know what I do for a living and I want to keep it that way, or for taking a long gun into and out of rental cabins and condo's while on vacation and traveling by car, these two cases serve me well.

ranger
11-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Just made the Thanksgiving pilgrimage to see parents in Savannah, GA. I bought a rilfe case that carries a broke down 16" AR that is specifically made with a purple cordura type fabric - it does not scream "tactical" and so far has not gotten a second look going in/out of hotels. I have a very basic chest rig that holds 4 AR mags that I keep hidden in the truck under rear seat. Pistol in IWB. I also have a bright red hockey stick case that does not look tactical (but is kind of out of place in GA!).

SLG
11-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Bags for AR's that are broken down are only about 6" shorter than bags for assembled AR's. Sometimes that matters, often it doesn't. I have several custom made cases for takedown AR's, and use the takedown cases sometimes, but not often. John Farnam, almost 20 years ago, told me to use a tennis racket bag. I lined one with closed cell foam to protect the gun, give the case some rigidity, and hide the shape of the gun better. Works better than almost anything I have seen on the market, including the stuff I designed.

jh9
11-27-2015, 01:49 PM

I built these specifically for travel. I've thought about setting up a similar model 12 for going to states that hate ARs and freedom when I have to. I'd make the AR pistol a pistol and not an SBR due to issues in travelling state-to-state or through some states.

I'll have to check that out when I get down for Paul's class

I would be very interested in hearing you guys opinions of using an AR pistol for this type of thing.

And of the KelTec sub2000.

And the local shop has a couple 18" Winchester 1897s in takedown configuration...

(This has been on my todo list for awhile.)

eyemahm
11-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Bags for AR's that are broken down are only about 6" shorter than bags for assembled AR's. Sometimes that matters, often it doesn't. I have several custom made cases for takedown AR's, and use the takedown cases sometimes, but not often. John Farnam, almost 20 years ago, told me to use a tennis racket bag. I lined one with closed cell foam to protect the gun, give the case some rigidity, and hide the shape of the gun better. Works better than almost anything I have seen on the market, including the stuff I designed.
Ditto. Pretty much any tennis racket bag will work. They run from 20 bucks for a basic bag to 100 or so for a big one.

I used to be a serious tennis player and carried one of the large three zipper bags for all my rackets and balls. Turns out it'll fit one AR in each zippered compartment, a few mags in the side pocket, and ear/eye pro in the shoe compartment. It has a padded shoulder strap and backpack straps for ease of carry and wouldn't raise any eyebrows wearing it as a backpack around my urban neighborhood. Fine for car travel, not so much for air.

Drang
11-27-2015, 02:05 PM
Back in... '84?... I was attached to I Corps G2 for Exercise Team Spirit. This was "kind of a big deal", as the first time I Corps HQ had returned to Korea after the Korean War.
So President Chun Doo Won came for a visit.

Accompanied, apparently, by the woodwind section of the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra and also the Korean Olympic Tennis Team.

Those K1 and K2 carbines really collapsed quite small.

(It is also possible for a guy with the average stature of a Korean to carry a S&W N Frame concealed.)

Casual Friday
11-29-2015, 09:00 AM
The rear seat in my 2011 F250 folds up for access to a locking storage compartment. I haven't tried to fit more than one long gun in there at a time but I think 2 is doable. There's plenty of room for mags and ammo, I had my rifle and 1000 rounds of ammo in there yesterday.

JM Campbell
11-29-2015, 09:05 AM
The rear seat in my 2011 F250 folds up for access to a locking storage compartment. I haven't tried to fit more than one long gun in there at a time but I think 2 is doable. There's plenty of room for mags and ammo, I had my rifle and 1000 rounds of ammo in there yesterday.

I do not recommend this if leaving truck unattended, I've already lost one F250 due to theft. They are too easy to break into even with Jimmi' Jammers installed.
http://www.jimmijammer.com/JJ%20description,%20103000.htm

Casual Friday
11-29-2015, 09:40 AM
I do not recommend this if leaving truck unattended, I've already lost one F250 due to theft. They are too easy to break into even with Jimmi' Jammers installed.
http://www.jimmijammer.com/JJ%20description,%20103000.htm

Guns go inside with me when I reach my destination. I know it's not super duper secure, but for quick stops it beats having them under a seat covered up with a jacket.

Beat Trash
11-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Back in... '84?... I was attached to I Corps G2 for Exercise Team Spirit. This was "kind of a big deal", as the first time I Corps HQ had returned to Korea after the Korean War.
So President Chun Doo Won came for a visit.

Accompanied, apparently, by the woodwind section of the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra and also the Korean Olympic Tennis Team.

Those K1 and K2 carbines really collapsed quite small.

(It is also possible for a guy with the average stature of a Korean to carry a S&W N Frame concealed.)

If it was 86 then I was there also. Spent the time on a ROK Marine base in Pohang. The ROK Marines were an interesting bunch...

rob_s
11-30-2015, 09:55 AM
Well, now that we are home I'll do some experimenting with what might fit in the rear under-floor cargo space. I'd be really happy if I could fit a Pelican or Storm case in there, and a soft bag of some sort in the case.

I definitely would not be leaving the AR in the car upon arrival, but it would be good to be able to lock the case shut and the case to the vehicle for lunch stops and the like.

I'll have to play some with the tennis racquet case idea again. When I tried it in the past all I wound up with was a racket case that sagged and drooped and looked to contain anything BUT a tennis racquet.

I'm somewhat tempted by this, but the fact that the soft case is pretty obvious and doesn't come in non-tactical colors is kind of a non-starter.
http://www.laruetactical.com/combo-pelican-3100-hard-case-and-larue-soft-case-black

Then I saw this with the Rackit case inside a Pelican (which I already have) and if the Pelican I have will fit in the floor compartment of the vehicle that may be the winner.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/03/26/vanquest-rackit-36-covert-rifle-bag/

SLG
11-30-2015, 10:55 AM

I'll have to play some with the tennis racquet case idea again. When I tried it in the past all I wound up with was a racket case that sagged and drooped and looked to contain anything BUT a tennis racquet.
...[/url]

Closed cell foam makes all the difference. I used a blue foam sleeping pad.

Drang
11-30-2015, 12:57 PM
If it was 86 then I was there also. Spent the time on a ROK Marine base in Pohang. The ROK Marines were an interesting bunch...

I did TS '86 with 2ID; '88 with 7ID(L).

rob_s
11-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Are you guys talking about carrying a 16" AR in those tennis racket bags? Isn't a typical 16" AR with collapsed stock ~32-33" long? Just looking on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref%3Dnb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tennis%20racket%20bag), it seems that most tennis racket bags are closer to 29-30" in length.

I think you have to either (A) take down the AR or (B) be talking about an SBR or (C) go with one of those new-fangled folding stocks.

None are super-ideal to me, but (A) would be the least distasteful.