PDA

View Full Version : NYPD Hostage Negotiators

nycnoob
11-23-2015, 08:04 AM
Here is a nice article on the NYPD Hostage Negotiation training.
They do lots of simulation.

NYPD Hostage Negotiators On How To Persuade People: 4 New Secrets

http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2015/11/hostage-negotiators/

Gray222
11-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Interesting article.

Peally
11-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Simple but good article!

Glenn E. Meyer
11-23-2015, 11:21 AM
I wonder if doctrine has changed since Waco. I read an analysis by a behavioral expert in religious anthropology on how the FBI negotiation strategy then was hitting all the hot buttons despite advice.

For instance, the playbook was to only give something if you get something back in return. The Davidians wanted milk for their babies. The FBI said that they would only give milk if they let some of the women go. This was a mistake as the Davidians thought that any who would deprive babies of milk and use that for bargaining were thus evil. Also, asking to free the women implies that the women were not freely chosen part of the group and that offended them. Both convinced them of the Apocalyptic view of the FBI as an enemy.

The playbook at that time was developed for hostage takers who might have accidentally ended up with hostages as in a robbery gone south or a domestic.

If this was a good analysis - that can be debated. I read the book awhile ago and can't find it with search now.

smithjd
11-23-2015, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the article. I forwarded it to our CNT team leader, who has literally talked a guy off the ledge (of his office building). He really liked it.