PDA

View Full Version : Week 139: Pistol NOW!

Mr_White
11-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Week 139: Pistol NOW!

Results may be posted until December 20th, 2015

Designed by: Unknown
Range: 5 yards
Target: B8 repair center, download here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=281&d=1322428748
Start Position: Holstered or ready
Rounds Fired: 16

Start with the holstered gun loaded with exactly 15 rounds. On signal, draw and shoot 15 rounds to the B8 repair center, reload, then shoot 1 round to the B8 repair center.

Your score is your time, plus one second for each shot not in the black (9-ring or better.) A passing score is 11 seconds or less.

If your range doesn't allow you to draw from the holster, you may start from a ready position instead, and add one second to your total time.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol, holster, concealment (optional) used
Raw time
Penalties
Total score
Pass or Fail
Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Luke
11-20-2015, 10:56 AM
This looks really fun!

I also really like how the DOTW kinda goes along with the current theme of PF. We've been on bill drills and proper grip for prolonged strings of fire and what not and then this pops up! Very cool Gabe!

Clobbersaurus
11-20-2015, 12:06 PM
Our overlords in Canuckland have deemed 10 round mags to be infinitely more safe than standard capacity mags, so I will need to reload in the middle of this drill. But sounds like fun!

Mr_White
11-20-2015, 03:25 PM
This looks really fun!

I also really like how the DOTW kinda goes along with the current theme of PF. We've been on bill drills and proper grip for prolonged strings of fire and what not and then this pops up! Very cool Gabe!

Glad to hear you like it! I too really enjoy it when I can post a DotW that is aimed squarely at some or another discussion we are having.

Thanks to JHC and Kevin B. for suggesting this one.

Our overlords in Canuckland have deemed 10 round mags to be infinitely more safe than standard capacity mags, so I will need to reload in the middle of this drill. But sounds like fun!

I didn't think about that. I don't have any authoritah, but I hereby declare it an acceptable alternative to load with 11, shoot 11, reload and shoot 5. Whatever you gotta do, just note it in the results.

scw2
11-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Is there any reason drills may have a higher round count like this, instead of 5-10 shot string? I just always wonder whether I’d get more out of running a drill multiple times with a reduced round count versus one run with more rounds. In any case, this one sounds tough but possibly doable and seems like a FAST lite.

Luke
11-20-2015, 04:06 PM
Not to answer for the other guys, but I think long strings of fire really put your grip and maybe some other stuff to the test. You can get away with a crappy grip for a few shots. I'm guessing 16 fast shots is going to take a well placed gorilla grip.

BN
11-20-2015, 04:14 PM
Not to answer for the other guys, but I think long strings of fire really put your grip and maybe some other stuff to the test. You can get away with a crappy grip for a few shots. I'm guessing 16 fast shots is going to take a well placed gorilla grip.

I agree. I have a problem with Bill Drills where my last shot or 2 are too high. I'm looking forward to shooting this drill.

I really like the IDPA Classifier for a test. You have to fire 90 rounds in various ways without making mistakes.

Mr_White
11-20-2015, 04:46 PM
Is there any reason drills may have a higher round count like this, instead of 5-10 shot string? I just always wonder whether I’d get more out of running a drill multiple times with a reduced round count versus one run with more rounds. In any case, this one sounds tough but possibly doable and seems like a FAST lite.

Wannabe pretty much nailed it. Longer strings of fire tax everything that much more - grip and mental/visual attention especially. So, this drill is the way it is...because that's how it was written (not by me.) With the drill written this way, it will lean less on the draw and more on grip and continuity of attention. If it had been written as three strings of five, for example, then the draw would matter more and grip and continuity of attention less. They would still be significantly taxed with a five round string, but not as much as fifteen. And a lot more than if it were fifteen one shot draws. That would be much more about the draw and much less taxing on grip. Just factors to be shuffled around for different points of emphasis in order to focus on specific aspects of our overall skill.

I really like the IDPA Classifier for a test. You have to fire 90 rounds in various ways without making mistakes.

Thank you Bill, now I has lulz. ;)

JHC
11-20-2015, 05:59 PM
I agree. I have a problem with Bill Drills where my last shot or 2 are too high. I'm looking forward to shooting this drill.

I've shot this twice in the last couple weeks since KB showing to me. So far I've not managed to count to 15 so it was basically a suprise reload. That's a different twist for me too.

MVS
11-21-2015, 11:31 AM

G17 from AIWB under a Kuhl Thor pullover.

I guess that is a pass. Felt really slow. Averaged about .40 splits. I am going to blame it on the gloves I was wearing.

Luke
11-21-2015, 11:37 AM
Shot this twice. Once at the beginning of my quick session and once at the end. The first one was hero or zero, and it ended up being a huge zero lol. smokin splits though :) . Obviously out shooting my sights. I think I better grip would have been better.

Second go around I wasn't gonna have any misses. I was out of ammo and was not going to come back to PF and post two zeros from 5 yards with a 5.5" target lol. I made a point to really squeeze the crap out of my gun. Worked nice, wonder why I don't grip it this hard all the time?

Hero or zero!! 6.53. 1.69 draw and a 2.46 reload

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/hook_setter/DB5F4913-F7CC-4FA5-9B97-55D191CB0B9A_zpsqdlornmp.jpg (http://s400.photobucket.com/user/hook_setter/media/DB5F4913-F7CC-4FA5-9B97-55D191CB0B9A_zpsqdlornmp.jpg.html)

"Don't miss.. And don't go slow! But don't miss.." 8.52 1.78 draw and a 2.97 reload :(

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/hook_setter/8FBE120B-CD53-4C70-84DA-203188A53DFF_zpsn6jfd6vg.jpg (http://s400.photobucket.com/user/hook_setter/media/8FBE120B-CD53-4C70-84DA-203188A53DFF_zpsn6jfd6vg.jpg.html)

Drang
11-21-2015, 12:40 PM

It's to punish 1911 guys.
Damned Glockenspielers.:p

scw2
11-21-2015, 06:09 PM
"Don't miss.. And don't go slow! But don't miss.." 8.52 1.78 draw and a 2.97 reload :(

Why the sad face? You passed with over 2 sec to spare! :)

Luke
11-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Why the sad face? You passed with over 2 sec to spare! :)

Mainly the reload. A school bus pulled up across the street right as I started the reload, she dropped 6 kids off, 1 had to go back and get his lunch box, I remember hearing her pull away just as I was almost done with the reload.

Kevin B.
11-22-2015, 01:25 PM
7.78; 1.38 draw, 1.84 reload.

I started looking for the reload. I am pretty sure that is when I threw the shot into the 9-ring at 8 o'clock. Checked my target during the reload and almost did not get back on my sights. The shot after the reload is the one in the 9-ring at 10 o'clock (in the shadow).

JHC
11-22-2015, 02:30 PM
7.78; 1.38 draw, 1.84 reload.

I started looking for the reload. I am pretty sure that is when I threw the shot into the 9-ring at 8 o'clock. Checked my target during the reload and almost did not get back on my sights. The shot after the reload is the one in the 9-ring at 10 o'clock (in the shadow).

Not being caught totally by the surprised by the reload is a challenge. Mine are 2.75 to 3.2!

Kevin B.
11-22-2015, 02:46 PM
Not being caught totally by the surprised by the reload is a challenge. Mine are 2.75 to 3.2!

1.84 was a good reload for me on this drill. Usually I am around a 2.25. I would like to think it is because I have been working on my reloads, but I think it was because I was anticipating it. My two splits preceding the reload were a .41 and a .39; the others were all around .30.

JHC
11-22-2015, 03:26 PM
"When is this thing gonna run out of bullets???"

Shot from OWB

RTF2 G19
Raw time 8.52. One shot outside the black way low, so 9.52. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/22590942353/in/dateposted-public/

Gen 4 G26
Raw time 9.62 and 1 just a hair high for a 10.62. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/22590984033/in/dateposted-public/

Then tried it with the G31 and the wheels came off, losing the grip/recoil control battle with 11.01 raw and 5 outside hits for a 16.01!

Clobbersaurus
11-22-2015, 04:01 PM
Great work with the G26 JHC, your reloads are very smooth. What kind of camera set up where you using for video?

JHC
11-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Great work with the G26 JHC, your reloads are very smooth. What kind of camera set up where you using for video?

Slow is smooth! LOL

It's a GoPro.

imp1295
11-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Nice "brass to the face" er go pro on the last shot from the G26!

JHC
11-22-2015, 04:21 PM
Nice "brass to the face" er go pro on the last shot from the G26!

Yes! But it tonked the GoPro. I get a kick out of watching the water sprinklers these capture pretty well.

BN
11-23-2015, 03:57 PM
DotW 139 NOW:

Pistol G-3 G-17 with Warren sights, open carry in a Blade-Tech holster.
Raw time: 10.58 clean.
Total Score 10.58
Pass.
Things I noticed: I did the rough math before I shot and decided I could probably do this within the time limit and get good hits. Plan ahead is a good plan. ;)

I'm liking the drive the dot sights.

I did a second run in 9.98 clean.

bigslim
11-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Pistol, holster, concealment (optional) used: G19 gen 4, Raven, Phantom Light Bearing, IWB
Raw time: 9.64
Penalties: 0
Total score: 9.64
Pass or Fail: Pass
Anything you noticed: New grip is working great other than preventing slide lock

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/bigslim3k/IMG_1629_zpset9x1e8e.jpg (http://s292.photobucket.com/user/bigslim3k/media/IMG_1629_zpset9x1e8e.jpg.html)

Pistol, holster, concealment (optional) used: G19 gen 4, Raven, Phantom Light Bearing, IWB
Raw time: 9.79
Penalties: 4
Total score: 13.79
Pass or Fail: Fail
Anything you noticed:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/bigslim3k/IMG_1630_zps9z6nucvb.jpg (http://s292.photobucket.com/user/bigslim3k/media/IMG_1630_zps9z6nucvb.jpg.html)

Mike

taadski
11-23-2015, 10:38 PM
Equipment: Sig 226, Safariland 6360, 2 down jackets and a groovy Arcteryx hat b/c it was 20 degrees and snowy. We got 40" of snow in about 30 hours last week. Took some effort to get the little FS two track to my shooting area driven in. :-P

First run outta the box was cold (and cold ;-))
7.31 -4
Fail at 11.31 adjusted.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpscybtlixf.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/taadski/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpscybtlixf.jpg.html)

I shot it again and tried to REALLY focus on SEEING the front sight return each time. Still got a little loose (as in lost vision) in the middle somewhere but kept it clean at 8.92. Horrific reload but I'll take it. Pass.

Negatively taped B-8 after the last run.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zps1thla1kk.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/taadski/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zps1thla1kk.jpg.html)

One last run, again focusing on the vision thing. Better. Another shite reload (worst of the series at 2.80) but a steady pretty repeatable shooting pace.
8.71 clean.
Pass.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsxnfphufh.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/taadski/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsxnfphufh.jpg.html)

Takeaways:
Good exercise. Time seems generous, but like a lot of these drills of late, it's hard (at least for me) to judge that ahead of time if you haven't shot them before. With some reps, it becomes more clear how to maximize one's score. Shifting up and down is a skill set in and of itself. Oh, and picking up brass in deep new snow sucks, btw. ;-)

t

42TNred
11-25-2015, 12:08 AM
Gen 3 G19

Raw time: 10:47

Penalty: one second for starting at low ready. No holstered draws allowed at my range.

Total score: 11:47

Fail

It appears the Defoor front sight will have to go. Indoors it is impossible to get any sort of front sight focus when placed against a black target.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/24/7baf76357c55592d93edf0886e3a72fc.jpg

JHC
11-25-2015, 06:53 AM
Excellent trigger work without the benefit of sights.

JHC
11-25-2015, 07:12 AM
Ironic timing for a 16 shot drill eh?

Mr_White
11-25-2015, 11:48 AM
It appears the Defoor front sight will have to go. Indoors it is impossible to get any sort of front sight focus when placed against a black target.

Is it impossible or is it very difficult? I ask because my vision was helped enormously by working through actually focusing on the Defoor front in difficult indoor lighting conditions. That was in a circumstance where it was difficult, but not impossible, to focus on the front sight. Impossible is different and not worth chasing. Just wanted to mention that experience in case it's a similar opportunity for you.

42TNred
11-25-2015, 01:43 PM
Is it impossible or is it very difficult? I ask because my vision was helped enormously by working through actually focusing on the Defoor front in difficult indoor lighting conditions. That was in a circumstance where it was difficult, but not impossible, to focus on the front sight. Impossible is different and not worth chasing. Just wanted to mention that experience in case it's a similar opportunity for you.

Great observation and I appreciate your input. "Impossible" probably was an exaggeration based upon my frustration to be able to quickly index the front sight in the darkness of the range at any distance of less than 7 yards. I'm 57 and my eyesight has changed over the past few years and while I see well enough at distance, up close my world is blurry. I have to use glasses for reading and computer work. I've tried using readers for shooting but they make the target too blurry. I just changed out the front sight this morning for an Ameriglo Fiber Optic. I'll be interested to see what the difference is. I may end up taking your advice and going back to the black Defoor front just to see if I can improve my vision by focusing on the front sight as you suggest. I'm always open to learning and improving. Thanks again.

taadski
11-25-2015, 02:20 PM
My game guns wear FOs and I use tritium on my work pistols (old Skool :p) but I keep black/black Heinies on my trainer/dry fire pistol for the express purpose of trying to challenge my vision. I think I benefit from it, FWIW.

Re prescription stuff, there are a number of really squared away professional shooters who subscribe to the idea of using glasses with their dominant side adjusted for a front sight focal length and their non-dominant lens adjusted for distance. Kinda like a bindon aiming concept idea for iron sights. Word has it it takes significant getting used to, but works very well after the brain adjusts to it. FWIW.

t

Mr_White
11-25-2015, 02:30 PM
Great observation and I appreciate your input. "Impossible" probably was an exaggeration based upon my frustration to be able to quickly index the front sight in the darkness of the range at any distance of less than 7 yards. I'm 57 and my eyesight has changed over the past few years and while I see well enough at distance, up close my world is blurry. I have to use glasses for reading and computer work. I've tried using readers for shooting but they make the target too blurry. I just changed out the front sight this morning for an Ameriglo Fiber Optic. I'll be interested to see what the difference is. I may end up taking your advice and going back to the black Defoor front just to see if I can improve my vision by focusing on the front sight as you suggest. I'm always open to learning and improving. Thanks again.

If you use reading glasses for close stuff and have tried them for shooting - does that mean that your eyes (without correction anyway) cannot get the front sight sharp and clear?

If that is the case, then my suggestion would be in a whole other direction. I would look at using a high visibility front sight of some type and work on target-focused shooting. FO, HD, Hacks, ProGlo, lots of options exist there.

The crux is the difference between being able/unable to get the black front sight sharp and clear, vs. being able/unable to be aware of the black front sight. Getting the front sight sharp and clear generally helps our awareness of it. It's not the only way to be aware of the front sight though, and simply isn't workable for some people in some conditions.

FO front is definitely a high visibility thing that I think will help a lot with target-focused shooting, when there is enough light for the FO to work. In dim enough lighting, like at an indoor range (it's like this where I shoot), it may end up functioning mostly as a black sight.

My vision was driven under lighting that was just right, when combined with the Defoor sights, for me to shoot distinctly worse if target focused (black front sight basically invisible, poor awareness of it), but much much better if front sight focused (black front sight visible, if I focused on it.) That narrow condition is what did it. If I sight focused I could do well. If I target focused I didn't do as well. I wanted to do well, so I learned to sight focus pretty religiously, and that was the improvement. That's not going to happen if front sight focus can't be done in the first place.

JHC
11-27-2015, 01:28 PM
My wife is adopting my G26 so I picked up one of the new Battlefield Green G26. Its trigger (stock with dot connector) is scaling 7.25 lbs, hope that lightens up with use!

But it shoots very nicely and I shot it clean today in 7.75 sec.

taadski
11-27-2015, 02:06 PM
My wife is adopting my G26 so I picked up one of the new Battlefield Green G26. Its trigger (stock with dot connector) is scaling 7.25 lbs, hope that lightens up with use!

But it shoots very nicely and I shot it clean today in 7.75 sec.

We might have to rename this one "Can you count"? :p

bigslim
11-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Pistol, holster, concealment (optional) used: G19 gen 4, Raven Phantom Light Bearing, IWB
Raw time: 11.05
Penalties: 1
Total score: 12.05
Anything you noticed: I realized half way through the drill that I was riding the trigger until reset. Mental focus shifted which cause me to drop a shot but my splits decreased by almost half so thats a good thing.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/bigslim3k/IMG_1639_zps6eykkxcn.jpg (http://s292.photobucket.com/user/bigslim3k/media/IMG_1639_zps6eykkxcn.jpg.html)

Pistol, holster, concealment (optional) used: G19 gen 4, Raven Phantom Light Bearing, IWB
Raw time: 9.88
Penalties: 2
Total score: 11.88
Anything you noticed: Had the second fastest draw of the day on this run but the worst reload of the day. I have a problem with getting the back of the mag stuck on the back of the grip.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/bigslim3k/IMG_1640_zpshdcsnumu.jpg (http://s292.photobucket.com/user/bigslim3k/media/IMG_1640_zpshdcsnumu.jpg.html)

Raw time: 9.07
Penalties: 5
Total score: 14.07
Anything you noticed: I wanted to shoot this run as fast as I could pull the trigger just to see what my time would look like. I'm not impressed at all. Splits were not to bad with a high of .23 and a low of .19. Speed is fine but accuracy is final. I need to figure out how to get both at the same time.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/bigslim3k/IMG_1641_zpsmiuk8atj.jpg (http://s292.photobucket.com/user/bigslim3k/media/IMG_1641_zpsmiuk8atj.jpg.html)

Mike

Clobbersaurus
11-29-2015, 09:34 PM
I realized as I was posting this that I did this drill incorrectly, shooting only 15 rounds instead of 16. All my runs were fails, but I will post my results anyway.

I had to do this with Crazy Canuck rules, due to our stupid mag restriction laws. So it was 11 rounds, slide lock reload, and then 4 rounds.

Beretta 92D Centurion, AIWB, under a fleece pullover.

1st run:
Raw time: 11.94
Penalties: 0 miss + 1 stupid Canuck penalty for the round I didn't shoot.
Total score: 12.94
Anything you noticed: I caught my thumb on my shirt with the draw and I missed my shirt on the reload, having to double pump my mag retrieval.
http://i.imgur.com/qHfSTdHl.jpg

2nd run:
Raw time: 10.00
Penalties: 3 miss + 1 stupid Canuck penalty for the round I didn't shoot.
Total score: 14.00
Pass or Fail: fail
Anything you noticed: I locked up on this on too high, and put the first three shots above the black. I adjusted on the fly, which I was pretty happy with.
http://i.imgur.com/pWAp298l.jpg

3rd Run:
Raw time: 10.13
Penalties: 1 stupid Canuck penalty for the round I didn't shoot.
Total score: 11.13
Anything you noticed: My first shot was 1.64, with a 2.93 reload. My reload sucked, as again I missed my shirt on the reload.
http://i.imgur.com/tlZfSIEl.jpg

JHC
11-30-2015, 07:35 AM
This drill has been helpful for feeling and maintaining the grip with the relatively newly adopted "elbows out" thing and those mechanics feel very good. It's also been fun on re-run watching the ejection of patterns of a few of the different Glocks I've used. ;)

Also another valuable lesson that was made possible by the angle of view from the GoPro and the sharper eye of another experienced shooter that caught my error. On my reload of the G26 my trigger finger was encroaching back deep into the trigger guard and even looks to be in contact with the trigger.

I had another current tape of shooting the reload stage of the 99 drill with a G17 and on every reload the trigger finger was outside the trigger guard and straight whereas using the G26 on this drill and a couple FAST it was inside. I'm thinking that the short grip ergo less "purchase" on the gun has me cheating on that finger to feels secure manipulating the small gun. I saw it on speed reloads with the G42 also.

So something pretty important to work on based off of this exercise.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/23055870020/in/dateposted-public/

bigslim
11-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Pistol NOW
Pistol, holster, concealment used: G19 gen 4, Raven Phantom Light Bearing, IWB
Raw time: 9.18
Penalties: 2
Total score: 11.18
Anything you noticed:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/bigslim3k/IMG_1682_zps7bcwq5kh.jpg (http://s292.photobucket.com/user/bigslim3k/media/IMG_1682_zps7bcwq5kh.jpg.html)

Raw time: 8.02
Total score: 8.02
Anything you noticed:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/bigslim3k/IMG_1683_zpsbekvsz9a.jpg (http://s292.photobucket.com/user/bigslim3k/media/IMG_1683_zpsbekvsz9a.jpg.html)

Raw time: 7.94
Penalties: 1
Total score: 8.94
Anything you noticed:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/bigslim3k/IMG_1684_zpssvd5ttd6.jpg (http://s292.photobucket.com/user/bigslim3k/media/IMG_1684_zpssvd5ttd6.jpg.html)

Mike

JHC
12-01-2015, 06:46 PM
FYI shooters, but my understanding is this drill as configured has been used as one of the standards by a SEAL team and in a little different format of load 9, reload 8 to an 8" circle, is an FBI SWAT Critical Evaluated Task with 11 sec as Advanced level.

Range1
12-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Was able to get to the range today and complete this drill.
Pistol used was an M&P 9 Pro Series full size with a Storm Lake barrel, from concealment - open front jacket, OWB strong side CompTac holster and Safariland mag pouch.
Raw time was 9.23 seconds but threw two high and right.
2 second penalty
Total time 11.23 seconds
Fail.
Anything I noticed: I could have slowed down just a little and kept the two in or been a little smoother with the re-load. Splits were .32 average, draw 1.81, re-load 2.93. Lots of areas for improvement.
http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss102/Range1826/3ba2f32b-51d0-4b73-97c0-92db63d1a7fe_zpso2rij8ui.jpg (http://s566.photobucket.com/user/Range1826/media/3ba2f32b-51d0-4b73-97c0-92db63d1a7fe_zpso2rij8ui.jpg.html)

GRV
12-03-2015, 03:18 PM
G17 Gen4, JRC AIWB CDA II under t shirt. JMCK AIWB SPMP.

For infuriating reasons, I don't have a flush fit full-cap mag for my G17 that I can practice with. So, I shot this two ways.

The first time, I shot it FBI style. I had 9 in the gun, then 8 in my usual reload practice mag (OEM +2 extension).
9.76, clean

Only 1 out of the black, so I would have even passed this "SEAL style" with the penalty, not to mention the extra 2 shots. Fumbled the reload, and the whole thing was a little sloppy. I was very pleased with the score, because it was not my best game.

The second time, I shot it SEAL style, using my reload mag in the gun with 15, and using a flush mag for my reload. My SPMP is really set up low for a +2 mag, so reloads with flush mags are harder. Although, I ended up reloading faster on this one :rolleyes:.

Got a bad grip, and the sights weren't tracking too well. Knowing I had to hold the black hard, I hesitated a lot and slowed down for a lot of shots.
12.81, clean

I like these a lot :P

BN
12-04-2015, 05:30 PM
I shot this again today with my carry set up. CZ P-01 in a JMCK AIWB holster with his AIWB mag pouch all under a buttoned flannel shirt.

First run: raw time 10.94 one miss Final 11.94 Fail.
Second run: raw time 11.84 two misses Final 13.84 Fail

I have drawn from 3 o'clock thousands of times. From AIWB probably 10's of times. :) I guess that isn't too bad. All hits are low and left. :(

BehindBlueI's
12-04-2015, 11:24 PM
I didn't have any repair centers, but this target is easy to figure. The 9 ring is 5.5" inches and the squares on this target are 1". All shots would have been inside the 9 ring.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/Docwagon1776/Ruger/20151204_142019_zpsyptzkgdi.jpg

Pistol, holster, concealment (optional) used: P226 .40, Red Nichols OWB leather holster, two layers of concealment (suit jacket and top coat)
Raw time: 11.38, first shot at 2.47
Total score: 11.38
Anything you noticed: Reloading from under two layers of concealment takes awhile. My reloads were over 3 seconds on both attempts I only ran this drill twice. The first time I ran it way too slow at 17.08 and realized I could trade some accuracy for speed. First attempt:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/Docwagon1776/Ruger/20151204_141652_zpsich8bmsk.jpg

I'll try this one again, I think I can shave the .38 off to get a pass.

Oh, and I shot two magazines of 8. I can't get 15 rounds in one magazine. :P

scw2
12-04-2015, 11:52 PM
Pistol, holster, concealment (optional) used - CZ, low ready (1 sec penalty)
Raw time - had to guestimate without my smartphone timer at a public range, but 11-14 sec raw time
Penalties - 3
Total score - not sure, shot over time and 3 missed
Pass or Fail - fail

Anything you noticed: First time shooting this many rounds and first time trying this drill. I think I need to move my hands faster from ready position and reloading. Those felt slow. I can also start shooting faster on a target this big at 5 yards distance. Grip felt fine throughout and I was able to somewhat track sights, so that's good. I started firing super slowly, and sped up as I realized I wouldn't make time, so knowing the cadence required is something I'll need to learn for next time.

Funny thing is during the first 15 rounds as I sped up, I was wondering about how fast my splits actually were as I sped up. Then I thought about pictures I've seen you guys post here, with great shooters firing with 2-3 spend cartridges still in the air. Then I started counting how many I could see in the air as I fired. I started counting, got to , and was thinking cool, I fired fast enough where there were still 3 spend cases in the air. Then I saw the target and I also missed 3 shots. Unfortunately I didn't call any missed shots, but I have a sneaking suspicion those were it LOL.

For next time, faster hands, start shooting more confidently and track the sights and not ejected cases.

Luke
12-04-2015, 11:56 PM
Lol that's not bad shooting for staring off into space watching flying things haha

JHC
12-05-2015, 12:31 AM
I didn't have any repair centers, but this target is easy to figure. The 9 ring is 5.5" inches and the squares on this target are 1". All shots would have been inside the 9 ring.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/Docwagon1776/Ruger/20151204_142019_zpsyptzkgdi.jpg

Pistol, holster, concealment (optional) used: P226 .40, Red Nichols OWB leather holster, two layers of concealment (suit jacket and top coat)
Raw time: 11.38, first shot at 2.47
Total score: 11.38
Anything you noticed: Reloading from under two layers of concealment takes awhile. My reloads were over 3 seconds on both attempts I only ran this drill twice. The first time I ran it way too slow at 17.08 and realized I could trade some accuracy for speed. First attempt:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/Docwagon1776/Ruger/20151204_141652_zpsich8bmsk.jpg

I'll try this one again, I think I can shave the .38 off to get a pass.

Oh, and I shot two magazines of 8. I can't get 15 rounds in one magazine. :P

Sick groups

Mr_White
12-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Gen3 G34, Keeper, Polo Shirt
5.56 seconds raw time
1.00 seconds penalty
6.56 total score
Pass

Shot it cold early in the morning. Fun drill/test. I like the magnified test of grip imposed by a 15 shot string.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH2b1X4Ba1Q

eyemahm
12-11-2015, 07:30 PM
USP Expert LEM 9mm, CCC Shaggy under a t shirt. JMCK AIWB SPMP.

SEAL style 10.04 raw, -1 miss FAIL

The first time, I shot it SEAL style (15R1 in 11 sec, 1 sec penalty for shots outside black). Not doing much practice with 11 second par times, I had trouble with the pacing and didn't shoot at a consistent speed. The group was strange - there were 10-11 Xs clustered together and a group high and left of four rounds (one of them just outside the 9 ring).

FBI style 10.01, clean PASS

The second time, I shot it FBI style (draw 9, reload 8 in 11 sec to an 8" circle).

The group wasn't as nice, but all shots were in the black. If this had been the SEAL run, I would have passed.

Generally, I'm not a big fan of XR1 drills, since one can rush the reload and BS the grip for last shot. From that point of view, I like the FBI standard better.. However, shooting at 5 yards with a service pistol, it's almost trivial keeping shots inside an 8" circle, so from that point of view, I like the SEAL standard better. Seeing as we did reasonably well with this drill, I might consider taking the best of both worlds and adapting this drill for our practices with the SEAL target/scoring and FBI pacing. In addition to being a somewhat challenging standard, I think it's also a helpful indicator of trigger control at speed.

Mickey
12-15-2015, 10:11 PM
Pistol-Beretta 92A1
Holster- Safariland G series

Raw time- best 10.95
Penalties-2
Total 12.95
Fail

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/15/65504f0a88a04a3eb4c767186fd7aac5.jpg

I enjoyed this drill and shot it several times. It was fatigued on many levels.

Mentally I was hoping that this pistol was about to run out of ammo! Visually I am just now able to track the front sight during recoil and it was a challenge for me to keep up during the entire drill.

I also discovered that if I try to see if I dropped that last shot before doing my reload, I will bounce a magazine off the front of the pistol grip.[emoji853]

scw2
12-17-2015, 12:20 AM
Ran this again from low ready (10 sec par time) with my CZ-75 SP01.
1 shot out of black. Made time barely with less than 1 sec to spare for sure, but failed with penalty.

I noticed that for the most part at 5 yards I can get hits okay. Still could clean up grip and anticipation and get tighter grouping or shoot faster. The flyer was due to me expecting a reload one round early, and I ended up shooting the shot SHO while moving my offhand to my reload. Unfortunately I didn't remember seeing the sights on that one so I think that's the one that missed. Should maybe (probably?) learn to react to slidelock instead of counting shots.

edit: picture posted sideways, top to left.

scw2
12-17-2015, 12:58 PM
Given the hiccup I ran into on the reload, do most of you normally track shots as you're going through a magazine, or do you just train yourself to react to the gun going to slidelock?

JHC
12-17-2015, 01:01 PM
Given the hiccup I ran into on the reload, do most of you normally track shots as you're going through a magazine, or do you just train yourself to react to the gun going to slidelock?

React. I can't count this high!

Luke
12-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Yea I just react. That's one reason my reload was so slow, found myself very surprised lol.

taadski
12-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Recognizing/seeing slide lock is an important skill, IMO. That said, in a drill like this, for full gamer effect, I count. :p