PDA

View Full Version : Charter Arms Bulldog Classic

Sigfan26
11-17-2015, 04:25 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/17/d2c63fdb7ac12df7bc93856eb8bce6e8.jpg
Just picked up a new production Charter Arms Bulldog Classic. I always wanted one of the old ones, then I saw they were doing a retro model and ordered one up. The machine marks are somewhat crude, but I can live with an aesthetic issue. The cylinder locks up tight as a drumb and the trigger is actually pretty nice. Gotta get more rounds through it, but so far, it's pretty nice. The recoil with HSM Cowboy 44 special (200gr bullet at about 800fps) isn't that bad.

Zeke38
11-21-2015, 05:13 PM
Glad to see they are finally rolling those guys out, been promised for a long time. Try the Speer Gold Dot 200grain Blazers for your CA. Also might want to see if Winchester still produces the 180 Silvertip in 44Special. Both loads primarily developed for 44 Spl small frame revolvers.

Would like a range report when you excercise that 44.

Sigfan26
11-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Glad to see they are finally rolling those guys out, been promised for a long time. Try the Speer Gold Dot 200grain Blazers for your CA. Also might want to see if Winchester still produces the 180 Silvertip in 44Special. Both loads primarily developed for 44 Spl small frame revolvers.

Would like a range report when you excercise that 44.

It's gotta go back for an issue with the hammer sticking. The ejector rod is also sticking, now. They've been super nice to deal with at Charter Arms, though. Shipping is going to be covered both ways and they responded to my email in less than 24 hours. It's fun to shoot, so I hope to get it back soon!

SLG
11-21-2015, 08:18 PM
It's gotta go back for an issue with the hammer sticking. The ejector rod is also sticking, now. They've been super nice to deal with at Charter Arms, though. Shipping is going to be covered both ways and they responded to my email in less than 24 hours. It's fun to shoot, so I hope to get it back soon!

So? Now it's just like the original runs...:-)

Sigfan26
11-21-2015, 08:19 PM

We shall see how it is when it comes back, lol

Sigfan26
11-21-2015, 08:38 PM

Honestly, I'm just trying to standardize on 44 in revolvers (I've got Marlin in 44, and an S&W 69). I wanted something a little lighter than the 69 (and I've been shootin specials mostly anyway) so I figured the bulldog was a natural choice (and I still like the Bulldog). However, it is not designed to handle the hottest 44 specials. My solution: get the Charter fixed and hang on to it (it is still fun to shoot). Then, add an S&W 329PD to the collection, with the intent of running 44 special through it exclusively (and the ability to handle magnums is a nice feature).

deputyG23
11-22-2015, 07:00 AM
If they did the .40 Pit Bull in the "classic" style, I would be very tempted.

Hambo
11-22-2015, 07:27 AM
I had a stainless version that worked and shot great. If yours is like the older versions you can put the small wooden .38 grips on it, then chop and Magnaport the barrel and you've got early '80s heat. :cool:

Tamara
11-22-2015, 08:03 AM
It's gotta go back for an issue with the hammer sticking. The ejector rod is also sticking, now.

I am less than surprised.

FWIW, mine nickel one developed so much endshake after 300 rounds of PMC 240gr and a couple boxes of Silvertips as to become useless.

Zeke38
11-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Bummer, Classic, takes on a new connotation. Hope it comes back "tuned" and ready and able to protect life, limb and property. I will be watching with interest. Had one in the early 80s and traded it, would like to have another as the concept intrigues me.

Sigfan26
11-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Ideally, I'd love to see S&W do a 69 in 3" with the grip profile of the 170135.

Tamara
11-22-2015, 08:47 PM
I've owned a bunch of .44 Special 5-shooters: Charco Bulldog Pug (I think mine was from when they were operating under the "Charco" name), Rossi 720C, S&W 696, S&W 296, and whatever the Taurus "Total Ti" one was...445? One thing they've all shared (except the 696) was an aversion to >200gr bullets. I still have the 296; the light weight and Centennial configuration make it my favorite of the bunch.

Sigfan26
11-22-2015, 09:14 PM
I've owned a bunch of .44 Special 5-shooters: Charco Bulldog Pug (I think mine was from when they were operating under the "Charco" name), Rossi 720C, S&W 696, S&W 296, and whatever the Taurus "Total Ti" one was...445? One thing they've all shared (except the 696) was an aversion to >200gr bullets. I still have the 296; the light weight and Centennial configuration make it my favorite of the bunch.

I'm learning this. Thinking about trying a load using this
http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=222
This
http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=287
Or this
http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=288

Jaywalker
11-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Nice. Did they bring back the tumbling bullets, too?

Sigfan26
11-27-2015, 09:30 PM
Nice. Did they bring back the tumbling bullets, too?

It's surprisingly accurate, actually.

JHC
11-27-2015, 09:37 PM
In about '83 in the Tacoma area I came across a small gun shop with an old fella packing a .44 Bulldog. He showed me his carry load, a pure lead slug with a gaping hollowpoint. He described the massive charge of 2400 he loaded them with and reading my expression he grinned and said it may not last long but he figured it would hold long enough to get the 5 shots off if it came to that. It was a big bore area in a big bore era. Two 2/75 NCOs I met told me 4" .41 and .44 N frames were the most popular PWs their compadres were packing.

Tamara
11-27-2015, 09:55 PM
It was a big bore area in a big bore era. Two 2/75 NCOs I met told me 4" .41 and .44 N frames were the most popular PWs their compadres were packing.

That same demographic is overrun with Affliction shirts and Serpas now. They haven't, as a class, gotten dumber. ;)

JHC
11-27-2015, 10:03 PM
That same demographic is overrun with Affliction shirts and Serpas now. They haven't, as a class, gotten dumber. ;)

I had to search. I did not know what that was. http://www.afflictionclothing.com/mens

Tinker Pearce
11-28-2015, 12:05 AM

...and not charge $1200 for it...

Drang
11-28-2015, 04:09 AM

That was another suggestion I made to a factory rep at the NRA Annual Meeting, and got shot down on.
Of course, since the first one was to Ruger about an SP101 and/or LCR on .327 Federal...

Hambo
01-15-2016, 07:55 AM
Sigfan, any updates on the .44?

Sigfan26
01-15-2016, 11:28 AM
Not yet. Still gotta send it in. I've just been super busy.

JAD
12-15-2022, 07:24 PM

I’m going to go ahead and necro you since you’re hanging out.

I am wanting a coat pocket gun. I would rather it was >38 and could live with like a 2” 65, but I always thought the 296 was cool. Are you still happy with the bodyguard? Do any of the other .44s you mentioned make it out of the safe?

Tamara
12-16-2022, 05:13 AM
I’m going to go ahead and necro you since you’re hanging out.

I am wanting a coat pocket gun. I would rather it was >38 and could live with like a 2” 65, but I always thought the 296 was cool. Are you still happy with the bodyguard? Do any of the other .44s you mentioned make it out of the safe?

The only 5-shot .44s I still have are that 296 and a 696 that needs the forcing cone recut.

The 296 would still be my choice for carry.

(Although 2022 Me wishes that 2001 Me had bought the 242 instead. Same gun, but a seven-shot .38 Special.)

SouthNarc
12-16-2022, 12:51 PM
Man....

I REALLY want the Charter Bulldog Classic to be a good gun.

I just...like it.

Tamara
12-16-2022, 01:11 PM
Man....

I just...like it.

I mean, I get the sentiment, honestly, but Lucy’s not gonna get me to run at that football again.

The .45 Colt snub I tested recently was… underwhelming. :(

EDIT: Y’know who I wish would get in this game? Ruger. An upsized LCR would be the shizznit.

Lester Polfus
12-16-2022, 01:50 PM
Man....

I just...like it.

I mean, I get the sentiment, honestly, but Lucy’s not gonna get me to run at that football again.

EDIT: Y’know who I wish would get in this game? Ruger. An upsized LCR would be the shizznit.

Longer ago than I care to admit, in a Piggly-Wiggly parking lot, I traded a man my AMT Hardballer for a .44 Special Charter Arms Bulldog Pug. I still think I got the better end of the deal, as the Hardballer was a single-shot weapon disguised as a stainless-steel 1911, wheras the Pug would generally go bang five times in a row, albeit with a highly variable trigger pull, depending on whether the hammer was rubbing the right side of the frame, the left side of the frame, or more-or-less right down the middle.

I loved the size, weight, and big bore nature of it, but it did not inspire confidence so I traded it off pretty quick.

SCCY Marshal
12-16-2022, 02:02 PM
...the Pug would generally go bang five times in a row, albeit with a highly variable trigger pull, depending on whether the hammer was rubbing the right side of the frame, the left side of the frame, or more-or-less right down the middle.

I forget from what outfit but you can order shims to adress that specific issue. Not optimal but this is a Charter Arms thread where that word does not apply.

Tamara
12-16-2022, 02:41 PM
I traded a man my AMT Hardballer for a .44 Special Charter Arms Bulldog Pug.

A janky trade for the ages. Respect.

Half Moon
12-16-2022, 02:50 PM
Longer ago than I care to admit, in a Piggly-Wiggly parking lot, I traded a man my AMT Hardballer for a .44 Special Charter Arms Bulldog Pug. I still think I got the better end of the deal, as the Hardballer was a single-shot weapon disguised as a stainless-steel 1911, wheras the Pug would generally go bang five times in a row, albeit with a highly variable trigger pull, depending on whether the hammer was rubbing the right side of the frame, the left side of the frame, or more-or-less right down the middle.

I loved the size, weight, and big bore nature of it, but it did not inspire confidence so I traded it off pretty quick.

Not sure if it would have been applicable with the Hardballer but, on my long ago AMT Automag III: white lithium grease on the slide rails helped immensely with reliability. Whatever stainless formula AMT was using was prone to galling and binding. Used the grease at the recommendation of a machinist friend of mine and it made a huge difference.

Lester Polfus
12-16-2022, 03:11 PM
Not sure if it would have been applicable with the Hardballer but, on my long ago AMT Automag III: white lithium grease on the slide rails helped immensely with reliability. Whatever stainless formula AMT was using was prone to galling and binding. Used the grease at the recommendation of a machinist friend of mine and it made a huge difference.

'Preciate that. When I say "longer ago than I care to remember" I mean "a year that started with 19" but if I ever take leave of my senses and Gunbroker a Hardballer in a fit of nostalgia, I'll try that out.

Tamara
12-16-2022, 03:48 PM
Whatever stainless formula AMT was using was prone to galling and binding.

“Sun rises in east. Film at eleven.” ;)

TheNewbie
12-16-2022, 05:54 PM

I do wish Ruger would make a six shot .38 LCR in various barrel lengths. A sort of polymer security six.

JAD
12-16-2022, 08:40 PM
Longer ago than I care to admit, in a Piggly-Wiggly parking lot, I traded a man my AMT Hardballer for a .44 Special Charter Arms Bulldog Pug.

that’s like trading syph for the clap. Which come to think of it probably happened, in that same parking lot, maybe even at the same time. Not to say the same occasion.

MandoWookie
12-16-2022, 11:24 PM
I do wish Ruger would make a six shot .38 LCR in various barrel lengths. A sort of polymer security six.

Yes to this. Hopefully keep it affordable, and still profitable for Ruger.
I dont understand why they haven't leveraged the most modern revolver on the market harder. They sell them for the same price as legacy J frames, but the production cost must be lower.
And there is a market, as Kimber and Colt have proven.

I mean they managed the same hat trick with the original Sixes, and they keep revamping their autopistol line every 5 years or so trying to compete in an overcrowded market there.