PDA

View Full Version : Slide Over Base Stoppages - Glock 23, Gen.3

MD7305
09-26-2011, 10:19 PM
I have a Glock 23 (Gen. 3). The current round count as of today is 3488rds. (Ammunition has been Speer Lawman, Gold Dot, Blazer Aluminum, and Winchester Ranger FMJ) Within that round count I've had 7 "slide over base stoppages." I had over 1200rds through the pistol before the first stoppage. After the first 4 stoppages I had isolated two magazines that I thought were the cause. They were older, used mags. While attending AFHF in Culpeper I had 1 stoppage on the first day. I isolated that magazine and no further issues for a round count of 988rds. that weekend. In the rounds I've fired since I've used the suspected magazines and no issues with any further stoppages. Today I fired 250rds and expereinced 2 slide over base stoppages, 1 of which left the round at a very high-angle. Both magazines in use today during the stoppages were brand new and had not previously experienced stoppages.

I also experienced 2 slide locks with rounds still in the mag. Both instances the mag had two rounds left in the mag. I've checked the slidelock lever spring and it looks normal but I am running the Vicker's Lever. I think my support hand may have caused these.

I also had a fail to fire due to a light strike. The primer (Winchester Ranger 180gr. FMJ) was dimpled and fired on a second attempt.

What is going on, any ideas? What causes a slide over base stoppage typically? I have not replaced my RSA but I have one on the way as I've been advised that they should be replaced in Gen. 3 guns every 3k rds.?

I'm considering replacing all my mags but I just want to make sure that's not too drastic or if there is another recommended resolution. I was hoping my G23 escaped the current Glock darkness but now I'm not so sure.

Kyle Reese
09-26-2011, 10:48 PM
What is going on, any ideas? What causes a slide over base stoppage typically?

Thumb placement (actuating the slide stop during recoil), or an incorrectly installed slide stop lever.

Given the round count of your pistol, I would recommend replacing the springs in the weapon. You mentioned that you have a RSA en route, and ideally these should be replaced every 2K to 3K in .40 S&W guns.

I would go ahead and purchase a Spring Kit (http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=126610&CAT=741).

Regarding the light strike, this could have been the ammunition, but it's a good idea to make sure the striker channel is clear of dirt, debris and lubrication, as this can impede proper function of the striker.

I'd respring the gun and be cognizant of your thumb position when firing before replacing the mags. I would, however, mark and segregate the magazines that are giving you trouble, and see if the problem persists using new mags.

Good luck and let us know if you need further assistance.:cool:

MD7305
09-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks, GS. I checked the slide stop and it's good, I really think I was probably riding it. Sweaty hands and a lazy grip probably contributed. I'll be getting a spring kit as well, I appreciate the link. Due to the menu of issues during today's range session I wondered if the reaper visited my Glock's soul. I hope this proves to be an isolated incident.