PDA

View Full Version : Browning HP

Wobblie
11-16-2015, 04:12 PM
I bought a Hi Power and love it. It fits my antique Milt Sparks holster (c. 1976) even. Tell me now if this won't work for IDPA which I've never shot. I was a B-class USPSA shooter a couple of decades ago and would like to return to competition.

nwhpfan
11-16-2015, 04:37 PM
I don't shoot IDPA but (I shoot USPSA) but looks like it would fit in ESP just fine.

Edwin
11-16-2015, 05:58 PM
I use one in ESP. You're good to go.

ACP230
11-16-2015, 06:35 PM
I have shot a BHP in various competitions.
The problems were mine, for the most part, not the BHP's.

Wobblie
11-16-2015, 11:50 PM
I have shot a BHP in various competitions.
The problems were mine, for the most part, not the BHP's.

I have plenty of problems too, but I think I'll give it a go. The gun feels like the old days. I suppose that's what I find attractive.

NEPAKevin
11-19-2015, 12:41 PM
One issue I have heard about the BHP is that because of the shape of the front of the magazine, they are not as fast to reload as other double stack magazines which are radiused(?) around the front edge. i.e. the difference between putting a square peg or a round peg in a square hole.

Talking Monkey
11-19-2015, 02:05 PM
You probably already know this, but make sure you have an extra empty magazine with you if the gun still has a disconnect safety. Otherwise, you won't be able to do the "Pull The Trigger" part of finishing commands.

That Guy
11-19-2015, 03:35 PM
I use an empty magazine tube for that. (I used to have this one unreliable magazine, this way I get some use out of it. ;) )

JAD
11-19-2015, 03:53 PM
Fixing the mag disconnect also grossly improves the trigger. Just saying.

Jim Watson
11-19-2015, 07:33 PM
And deleting magazine disconnects is now specifically allowed by IDPA. I presume they concluded that reducing the manipulation of the gun was safer than mechanical obstructions.

You may also delete key locks from guns so equipped.

You may NOT remove firing pin obstructions from IDPA guns. Pity, de-S80 shims were a growing industry for a while before they actually started checking for presence of lawyer levers.

pangloss
11-22-2015, 07:34 PM
One issue I have heard about the BHP is that because of the shape of the front of the magazine, they are not as fast to reload as other double stack magazines which are radiused(?) around the front edge. i.e. the difference between putting a square peg or a round peg in a square hole.

I've never shot my BHP in a match or even shot it while using a timer, but I'm certain that for me, my already slow reloads are much slower with my BHP than with my Glocks. The mags need to be much better lined up with the magwell before they will insert.

Edwin
11-23-2015, 12:21 AM

Yup, it's brutal. You have to be dead on otherwise it hits the bottom of the frame. I wish MecGar would redesign the mags to be more like a CZ or the 18 rounder 92 mags.

Wobblie
11-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Maybe I don't love it so much after all. The front sight sheared off during today's practice session.

JAD
11-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Maybe I don't love it so much after all. The front sight sheared off during today's practice session.
I'll give you a hundred bucks for it.

Wobblie
11-23-2015, 02:56 PM
I'll give you a hundred bucks for it.

Alas, I didn't look for it in the sand.

JAD
11-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Not the sight, the gun! Anyway, it is a good excuse to get the thing off to the smithy.

Randy Harris
11-23-2015, 04:59 PM
I've never shot my BHP in a match or even shot it while using a timer, but I'm certain that for me, my already slow reloads are much slower with my BHP than with my Glocks. The mags need to be much better lined up with the magwell before they will insert.

Yep.....night and day difference on reloads with Glock vs BHP. The BHP is cool and all, and I want to like it more, but evolution marches on and there are just better guns available. I have a BHP (and clone) for the "Gun Library" but would much rather carry a glock or shoot it in a match for that matter due to the difference in reload speed.

NEPAKevin
11-23-2015, 05:53 PM
Yup, it's brutal. You have to be dead on otherwise it hits the bottom of the frame. I wish MecGar would redesign the mags to be more like a CZ or the 18 rounder 92 mags.

Back on the old IDPA mailing list. IIRC, a member whose handle was Dr Bones (Chiropractor) mentioned he had a mod to make the mags easier to reload which I think involved removing some metal from the front corners.