PDA

View Full Version : Canik TP9v2

Tinker Pearce
11-12-2015, 05:35 PM
My wife and I came across a brand-new Canik TP9v2 at a local gun gun store and gave it a look-over. Impressive- best factory trigger I've ever encountered on a striker-fired gun. Fit and finish were comparable to much more expensive guns. Came with a holster with an interchangeable paddle or belt-slide, an extra magazine and a loading tool, as well as an extra back-strap if one wants a different feel. The gun points intuitively and controls are ergonomic and easily manipulated. Unlike earlier Caniks the hammer-drop brings the gun to a DA condition instead of disabling the gun. Did a quick search for reviews- glowing. How much? $330. Shut up and take my money!

After a few hundred rounds of mixed hollow-points and ball there have been no malfunctions. The gun is very nice to shoot- the relatively low bore axis makes for quick follow-up shots and good double-taps. At seven yards I was able to produce a 3-1/2 inch 18-shot rapid-fire group, and a group of nine double-taps was only slightly larger. The trigger is excellent- on SA shots the reset is very short and positive, with an audible click. The sights are standard 3-dots, which I have never found to be conducive to pin-point accuracy but I suppose I can live with them on a service-type pistol. I like the DA/SA set-up; the transition after the first shot is easy, and I like the added feeling of security of the longer, heavier first-pull. The 'hammer drop' feature operates quite positively and must be actuated deliberately. I can't imagine a circumstance where it could be activated by accident.

Take-down is ridiculously simple. Verify that the gun is empty, pull the trigger and pull down on the serrated buttons in the front of the trigger guard and the slide comes right off. The recoil-spring is a captured system- lift it and the barrel out and you are field-stripped. Nice. The internals are as well-finished as the outside, with a smooth even finish and no tool-marks.

The magazine loading tool provided with the weapon works fine, but seems unnecessary to me; I have no difficulty loading 18 rounds into the magazine without it. The magazines, BTW, are made by Mec-Gar and appear to be very high quality.

I am seriously impressed with this gun.

The cons, as have been noted in other Canik reviews, are the lack of after-market support for parts and holsters. Not much an issue for me personally; I make my own holsters.
Speaking of holsters the molded composite holster provided with the gun is slightly loose, and it is possible (though difficult) to yank the gun out of the holster without activating the trigger-finger lock. Given that the holster is a 'freebie' I suppose that I cannot complain.

This is a really, really good gun. I don't mean 'a good gun for the price.' It's a good gun, period. I'll keep you abreast of developments, but I really don't anticipate any issues at this point. We'll see what happens as time goes on, but I wouldn't be surprised if the price of these starts climbing as they become better-known.

ralph
11-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Judging by your post, you've got a pretty good handle on things.. For me, parts would be a concern, seeing how this pistol, as I understand it comes from Turkey. Which right now, the EU is trying to turn into a Syrian refugee hostel. And, I think it's just a matter of time before they(Turkey) get drug into the festivities next door. At that point, There may be NO support for possibly years. But, I'm sure you understand that. From what I've read, these seem to be well made, and reasonably priced enough that if the SHTF in Turkey, you could put it back in the safe and move on to something else with known support, and you wouldn't be out a great deal of money.

Tinker Pearce
11-12-2015, 09:00 PM
For this price I could buy another just for parts...

ReverendMeat
11-12-2015, 09:57 PM
I believe it to be based on the Walther P99, which is a proven design and is a great pistol. There may be some parts commonality between the two, though Walther parts are not exactly easy to find. So far they seem like a great gun for someone on a budget and I'd be interested in hearing of any issues you may find.

Cecil Burch
11-13-2015, 12:01 PM
I'm really interested in this pistol as well. For the price, it is hard to overlook. Then you add in a lot of positive reviews and it sure seems worth a gamble.

ralph
11-13-2015, 04:20 PM
For this price I could buy another just for parts...

True, you could.. And when you think about it, that's really not a bad idea...

olstyn
11-13-2015, 07:59 PM
though Walther parts are not exactly easy to find

Walther Arms had a part I needed recently in my mailbox in only a few days, and at no cost to me. As long as you know what the part number is, it's pretty simple to call and get it. I still wish you could order parts from their website, but things are definitely better than they used to be in that regard, especially since they extended their warranty to lifetime on all guns now. I don't imagine they're too keen on sending out parts to Canik owners, though. :)