PDA

View Full Version : Recent Acquisition initial Report and Assessment: Glock Gen4 G22

JonInWA
11-11-2015, 04:43 PM
I recently won a Glock award certificate at a local GSSF match, so it was decision time.

While all 5 of my Glocks were Gen 3 guns, and in either 9mm or .45 ACP, I decided on two things from the onset: First, that the pistol would be in .40, and Second, would be a Gen4.

Here is my logic and thought process behind my decision:

1. While I'm hardly the biggest proponent of the .40 cartridge (I'm pretty firmly in the camp that current credible 9mm cartridges do whatever a .40 will do, with less drama (i.e., pressure spike profile/recoil force/platform wear), less per-cartridge expense, and lower per-cartridge weight, and, for those concerned, generally greater magazine capacity, there's the undeniable fact that the .40 still is a credible cartridge (particularly in DocGKR-recommended selections), and in the previous two ammunition shortages/crazes, was often the only easily (and consistently) available cartridge, with concurrently reasonable prices-at least in my particular neck of the woods (Seattle metro area).

2. Glock (finally) designed the platform around the cartridge; the Gen4 G22 (and others) were designed around and optimized for the .40 cartridge, rather than being a work-around 9mm adaptation; this is particularly evident in the dual-nested, triple sprung Recoil Spring Assembly (unfortunately, however, that ironically placed the Gen4 G17s as being in the position of being a work-around adaptation of the Gen4 G22-and the initial results were not pretty...)

3. After a five year period, I was reasonably confident that Glock had in fact successfully ironed out the bugs in the Gen4 G22, some of which cropped up immediately after its introduction and persisted for some time;

4. I liked the re-designed texturing of the grip's cubids, and the provision of not only size-alternative backstraps, but also the additional provision of the size-and-beavertail alternative backstraps, what Glock calls their MBS (Multiple Backstrap System).

Upgrading my certificate to a Gen4 gun required $35, which seemed eminently reasonable-in addition to the Gen4 upgrades, the Gen4's ship with 3 magazines instead of the 2 normally provided with the concurrently available Gen 3 Glocks.

Due to Glock's production and distributor allocation process, it took about 4.5 months, from award certificate announcement to the gun being in my hand. Hey, it's a free gun, so I won't complain.

Upon arrival, I immediately had the Seattle Police Dept Armorer replace the OEM polymer sights with a set of Glock steel sights. They were NOS, so they're actually tennifer treated, a nice anti-corrosive benefit. While the front sight is large and blocky, with small light bars present when aligned with the rear sight, I've actually had very good-actually, surprisingly good-results with my previous G17 and G19 with these sights. Plus, they're dirt-cheap-only $12 per sight. While eventually I may migrate to the Warren Tacticals that I have on my G34, or the Warren-Sevigney Carry sights on my G21, or the Trijicon's which were the OEM sights on my other G19, for the time being I find the Glock steels to do well enough for my uses (carry, IDPA and GSSF competitions).

I also immediately replaced the slide stop lever with Glock's extended slide stop lever-I use this on all of my Glocks, and much prefer how it expedites simply thumbing the lever to go from slide-lock into battery. I have a mid-length magazine release lever inbound, although the OEM one has been adequate to date.

Additionally, I decided to install the mid-sized beavertail backstrap, hypothesizing that it would maintain platform triggerpull distance commonality with my similarly-sized/framed G17 and G34, and would provide a grip leverage advantage to mitigate against the pressure/recoil spike inherent to the .40 cartridge. While I'd previously read of user issues with the MBS (i.e., the top of the grip tang coming detached from the frame, and hanging off it), I have encountered not such issues when using the proper included long trigger mechanism housing pin, and insuring that it's properly installed with equal positioning on both sides of the receiver-there is sufficient housing sleeving provided on the inside of the backstrap to stabilize and secure the retaining pin. Additionally, on the current production Gen4s, the top of the beavertail strap "clicks in" to the top of the underlying top of the grip tang, providing additional installation securing.

I detail disassembled the gun, judiciously lubing critical contact/reciprocation points with TW25B, and used Weapon Shield for other protective lubrication.

Dryfiring and livefiring reveal that the Gen4 trigger seems to have a slightly, but noticeably heavier triggerpull than on Gen 3 Glocks. Presumably this is a result of the redesigned triggerbar (with the dimple incorporated on the vertical extension, and with the extended lower triggerbar dogleg incorporating a trough to mitigate against coil triggerspring fatigue), and possibly some concurrent subtle differences induced by the redesigned Trigger Mechanism Housing that holds the connector (mine of course is the Gen4 induced "dot" connector). While a bit heavier, the triggerpull is quite crisp and eminently manageable. It's been recommended to me that I stick with the OEM "dot" connector/coil triggerspring setup, as opposed to going to a "minus" connector/NY1 setup; reportedly the triggerpull becomes a bit mushy with the latter combination.

Initial familiarization and zeroing sessions revealed the following:

1. That the gun exhibited the not-uncommonly reported phenomenon of shooting slightly to the left (by 1.5" - 2" with the rear sight centered in the slide; judiciously drifting the sight to the relatively far right in the sight dovetail (almost to the far end of the dovetail on the right side) easily resolved the problem, achieving a center-hold POA/POI; the gun seems to slightly prefer 180gr bullets (compared to 165 gr cartridges). Superb results have been noticed with Federal HST 180 gr cartridges (their brass cartridge variant reportedly produced for one of the alphabet agencies).

2. Accuracy, at least to date, seems to be more than adequate, but unspectacular approximately 2" groups, with me shooting offhand at 7-15 yard distances to date. Some of that may well be me-we'll see how it is as I accrue more hammer time on the gun; I pan on shooting it in a hybrid 7 stage ASI/IDPA match this weekend.

3. I genuinely like, and appreciate the benefits provided by the Gen4 features-particularly the new RSA, grip texturing, and the beavertail backstrap. Over time, I'll do some due-diligence testing with the "naked" frame and alternative backstraps (both the plain and beavertail options).

4. The new black-gray oxidized outer finish currently applied has a matte sheen, but seems more susceptible to surface wear/rub marks than the previous matte/semi-gloss finish applied to my Gen 3 Glocks. Operationally,of course, this is of absolutely zero consequence.

5. The barrel has the "dot in the pentagon" marking, reputedly indicating the use of a stronger "Grade 6" steel. One of my Gen 3 G19s has a "pentagon without the dot" (Grade 5 steel), the other newer one has the "pentagon with a dot" marking. Hey, in .40, the stronger the better as far as I'm concerned-for both longevity and safety, although I'll likely only use commercially manufactured standard-pressure jacketed loadings in the G22.

6. Functioning to date has been absolutely flawless and with no "brass to face" ejection issues (although expended cartridges do seem to exit the gun with some velocity).

While it's unlikely to be one of my more heavily used Glocks in the long run, I do intend to invest sufficient time and roundcount on it to sufficiently wring it out and thoroughly familiarize myself with its character and performance envelopes. All of my existing Gen 3 holsters of course work, so that's an additional benefit/cost savings; I did recently have Tactical Tailor make up a Tanker rig for wilderness carry, sufficiently sized for use with all of my Glocks, from G19 to G21. For normal use, I usually gravitate towards my well-proven Blade-Tech kydex IWB that I had made for my G17.

I'll keep the forum posted if anything noteworthy or interesting develops.

Best, Jon

Jeep
11-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Very nice report. Please keep us posted going forward.

JHC
11-11-2015, 06:38 PM
Cool. I'm perfectly satisfied with my Gen 4 G22, chosen for the same ammo avail option you mentioned. HD sights and minus connector. It's on loan (I hope) with one of my son's in AK. Ditto for my G31.

I'm still waiting on my GSSF Gen 4 G35. Shit takes forever but I really can't complain eh?

Nephrology
11-11-2015, 07:08 PM
I got a used Gen 4 G35 for $415 before transfer + shipping. Have been very happy with it. I actually find that I am substantially more accurate with it than any of my 9mm Glocks - on my very first presentation with the gun from a concealed holster I put 2 rounds in a 1 inch group dead in the center of the bullseye at 7 yards.

I am definitely going to pick up a used Gen4 G22 at some point before the election. Here in CO I am limited to 15rd mags and I've discovered I really like the full-frame glocks for winter AIWB. The g35 is nice but that extra 3/4 of an inch tends to poke some rather, ah, sensitive parts of my body...

JonInWA
11-23-2015, 06:33 PM
Here's an update: Recently used it in a hybrid ASI/IDPA 7 stage match-where it rained steadily all day. I used a Blade-Tech IWB and a Blade-Tech Stingray dual magazine pouch. Despite my previous static shooting, my first action stage with full-house 180 gr .40 was a bit startling; the recoil impulse threw me a bit initially, and I had a couple of missed shots. After settling down and getting a bit more grooved in, my shooting significantly improved. As the day progressed, multiple head shots on multiple targets, both static and on the move were successfully navigated with no drama.

There were absolutely zero operational issues of any sort. The weather induced no issues. The new magazines were a bit of a challenge to load to -1 capacity (14 rounds), but all were successfully loaded up throughout the day. I continue to like the medium beavertail backstrap, but need to accumulate more time on it do objectively evaluate-as well as trying and comparing with the various backstrap iterations possible. Primary cartridges used were Federal Champion 180gr aluminum cased FMJ ball, along with some Remington/UMC 165gr FMJ ball both cartridges performed well, and I didn't notice much difference in POA/POI between the two (with most targets at 7-15 yards).

While I like the gun, my G17 and G34 are easier to use, due to significantly less recoil. I do seem to shoot better with this Gen4 G22 than with my Gen 3 G21, however; perhaps due to less muzzle flip, despite the higher pressure .40 cartridges. My natural index seems to be much better with the G22 than with the significantly larger-framed Gen 3 G21.

While my mid-length magazine release had not arrived in time for the match, I had no problems with the standard-sized Gen4 magazine release (but, then again, I've never had any issues with the smaller Gen 3 magazine releases, either).

Seems to be a good, solid gun.

Best, Jon

JHC
11-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Got any 22 round happy sticks yet?

JonInWA
11-23-2015, 06:55 PM
I've been promised one, but it'll be strictly in the "fun, but tactically unnecessary" column. I don't plan on laying down suppressive fires with the gun in my normally anticipated scheme of use...

Best, Jon

JonInWA
12-23-2015, 06:28 PM
Further Update: Well, it's official, at least for me: I incontrovertibly shoot better with the Gen4 G22 bare frame (no additional backstrap). After zeroing that way, I ran the Medium full beavertail backstrap, with acceptably decent results in an IDPA match, but in range practice I noticed that I was consistently shooting some 1" - 2" to the left with it. Switching to the Large full beavertail backstrap accentuated (and in fact increased) the leftward shot pattern (that would be a clue...). Removing the backstrap(s) (I re-experimented with the Medium beavertail, Large beavertail, and no backstrap in the same range session) clearly resulted that the best results for me are without any backstrap.

My original thought was that the Medium beavertail would both enable greater control with .40 ammunition, and increase my "steerability" of the gun. With no backstrap, I had no problems with control or steerability, and since I'm not affected by Glock slide bite, this quickly became a no-brainer decision-no backstrap for me. Concurrently, I've found that the smallest backstrap on my HK VP40 also provides the best results...another clue...

Experimentation was with 180 gr HST and Winchester ball, and the results were the same with both ammunition. Range was at 5-7 yards. While it certainly was decent of Glock to provide the 4 backstrap options, and interesting to experiment, my empirical experience is guiding me here-naked/bare-bottomed my G22 goes into the world henceforth.

Best, Jon

spinmove_
12-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Further Update: Well, it's official, at least for me: I incontrovertibly shoot better with the Gen4 G22 bare frame (no additional backstrap). After zeroing that way, I ran the Medium full beavertail backstrap, with acceptably decent results in an IDPA match, but in range practice I noticed that I was consistently shooting some 1" - 2" to the left with it. Switching to the Large full beavertail backstrap accentuated (and in fact increased) the leftward shot pattern (that would be a clue...). Removing the backstrap(s) (I re-experimented with the Medium beavertail, Large beavertail, and no backstrap in the same range session) clearly resulted that the best results for me are without any backstrap.

My original thought was that the Medium beavertail would both enable greater control with .40 ammunition, and increase my "steerability" of the gun. With no backstrap, I had no problems with control or steerability, and since I'm not affected by Glock slide bite, this quickly became a no-brainer decision-no backstrap for me. Concurrently, I've found that the smallest backstrap on my HK VP40 also provides the best results...another clue...

Experimentation was with 180 gr HST and Winchester ball, and the results were the same with both ammunition. Range was at 5-7 yards. While it certainly was decent of Glock to provide the 4 backstrap options, and interesting to experiment, my empirical experience is guiding me here-naked/bare-bottomed my G22 goes into the world henceforth.

Best, Jon

Oddly enough I've found this to be the case for myself as well. I tend to shoot more straighter-er (grammar nazis need not apply here...) with naked Gen4 frames that I do with Gen3 frames. I think it has to do with trigger reach, at least for me, as I find that I don't have to wrap my hand around the gun as much to properly reach the trigger, get proper finger placement, and consequently, get proper finger motion to finish flat. FWIW I wear a medium to large sized glove (depending on manufacturer, but typically I'm closer to the medium size range) and seem to almost always have room in the finger tips for said gloves.

dgg9
01-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Further Update: Well, it's official, at least for me: I incontrovertibly shoot better with the Gen4 G22 bare frame (no additional backstrap).

Today I rented a Gen4 G17 and noticed more or less the same thing. With no backstrap, I was expecting some noticeable difference in the grip ergo and size (thus helping my own issue of "shooting left because not enough finger on trigger)". But the difference, when holding and shooting the Gen4 rental vs my Gen3 G17, was hard to see and hard to feel.

Nevertheless, with Gen4 my groups were better, but I think that's the stippling, which is easier to hold on to. Also with Gen4 I can reach the mag release without shifting the gun in my hands, so that's an unequivocal win, though on a second tier issue.

I ended up trading in the Gen3 I had for a new Gen4, and will use the Gen4 exclusively over the next 6 months (which includes several classes). Not night and day better ergo than Gen3, but better for me personally at the margins.

JBP55
01-03-2016, 04:14 PM

Best, Jon

How does the VP40 compare to the Gen 4 G22 relative to accuracy and felt recoil when using the same ammunition?

Sammy1
01-03-2016, 04:27 PM

Best, Jon

I have gone back and forth with backstraps on my Gen4 G22 (to the point where the pins are a bit too loose now). I suffer from slide bite and I'm forced to use the med beavertail for classes but I draw and acquire sight picture better with no backstrap or the regular medium. Speaking of classes I have gotten fatigued with the 40S&W during high round count days.

deputyG23
01-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Has anyone use or been issued a Gen 4 with the NY-1 trigger spring? My work has bought a quantity of Gen 4 G23 guns so equipped to begin replacing our old G23 guns that are ten years old that have eight pound connectors.
Jon, enjoying your Gen 4 .40 review! Sorry for the thread drift.

MGW
01-03-2016, 05:46 PM
I have gone back and forth with backstraps on my Gen4 G22 (to the point where the pins are a bit too loose now). I suffer from slide bite and I'm forced to use the med beavertail for classes but I draw and acquire sight picture better with no backstrap or the regular medium. Speaking of classes I have gotten fatigued with the 40S&W during high round count days.

The best set up I have found is a cut down medium beavertail back strap. It's cut down shorter than a stock grip force adapter. A friend of mine turned me on to this setup and I like it a lot.

No slide bite and the same shorter reach to the trigger as no back strap.

JonInWA
01-05-2016, 03:30 PM
How does the VP40 compare to the Gen 4 G22 relative to accuracy and felt recoil when using the same ammunition?

The VP40 definitely has softer recoil-probably significantly due to the larger/heavier slide, as the VP uses a relatively simple flatwire recoil spring-much like pre-Gen4 Glocks...

The barrel/receiver cam may also have a favorable impact (no pun intentionally intended) on recoil management, but I suspect it mostly has to do with the slide weight/RSA.

I've also noticed a moderate amount of trigger finger sting with the G22-none whatsoever with the VP40.

Best, Jon

JonInWA
01-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Has anyone use or been issued a Gen 4 with the NY-1 trigger spring? My work has bought a quantity of Gen 4 G23 guns so equipped to begin replacing our old G23 guns that are ten years old that have eight pound connectors.
Jon, enjoying your Gen 4 .40 review! Sorry for the thread drift.

It's been recommended to me by a very knowledgeable friend in the industry that on the Gen4 guns to remain with the dot connector/coil spring, and the NY1 spring tends to provide a somewhat mushy triggerpull. I haven't yet personally experimented, but I'm currently veery satisfied with the OEM dot connector and coil spring set-up.

Best, Jon

JonInWA
01-05-2016, 03:36 PM

I find the VP40 to be more accurate to date, but since I've just gotten the G22 dialed in with the zero backstrap incarnation, I'll need to put more comparative rounds downrange now to see if that's still true. Regrdless, the Gen4 G22 is certainty more than acceptably accurate-we're talking comparative degrees of fineness here.

Best, Jon