PDA

View Full Version : Sales Rep Vehicle Advice

ASH556
11-11-2015, 02:40 PM
I'm set up to transition from and inside sales to outside sales role in January. My current vehicle is a '95 Civic with a lot of body damage. Seems to me that might not be a good way to represent the customer taking clients to lunch, etc. Marketplace is industrial valves and automation. Also, due to the need to occasionally pick up/transport hot rush valves for customers, I was thinking a truck would be the way to go. I had a 2006 loaded out GMC Sierra Z71 Crew Cab that I sold last December. It had 208K on it, and to save on gas for my long commute I began driving the Civic (handed down by my FIL when he got a new car).

Company car allowance is $500/mo. I'd like to get something with a $350-$400 month payment so that looks like $15-$20K. I'm wondering if I'm better off getting a nicer used truck (C/K 1500, F150, etc) or a newer smaller truck like the Nissan Frontier. Those seem to be going pretty cheap. I figure I will probably put 25-35K miles per year on the truck, so I definitely want something dependable and I worry that with a used truck that I can afford, it's going to have 60-80K on it already. Then again, will the Nissan hold up? What about customer perception of a smaller truck like that, no leather, etc? One other thing is that I definitely want 4WD. I hunt and it's definitely something I need where we hunt (hilly, grassy hay fields).

On the other hand, I'm getting all nervous about fuel economy. The truck will only get 15-20 mpg. Does something like an Accord or Camry project a decent image? I could get an almost new one of those for my budget and be more in the 30 mpg range. That's probably smarter financially since my gas hits my commission before I get to see it. Guess I'd just have to get another beater truck for hunting. Or are there any SUV's that would fit the bill that get in the 25-30 mpg range? Honda CR-V? Too much of a woman's car? We had a 2011 AWD version before our 2nd child was born and we traded it for a minivan. It was a nice vehicle and I wouldn't mind driving one again.

My head is spinning so I'd appreciate any advice some experienced sales guys can offer!

JHC
11-11-2015, 02:48 PM
A used Subaru Outback would be on my list. Not sure how much cargo room you need for hauling rush jobs though.

Luke
11-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Skip a frontier.. If you want compact truck get a Tacoma. do they pay for fuel?

ASH556
11-11-2015, 02:57 PM
Fuel is reimbursed, but hits my commission as a pre-pay expense (just like my cell phone, client lunches, etc). Thus, the more fuel I can save the more money hits my bottom line. This is Georgia and customers are good 'ole boys at power plants, paper mills, and pipelines. Probably the largest thing I might need to carry/haul would be 3ft x 3ft and 80-100 lb. Any bigger than that and they can hire a courier. Demos in Pelican cases, etc.

SecondsCount
11-11-2015, 03:03 PM
I have been an outside sales rep for a company that deals in factory automation for 10 years.

If you don't have to worry about snow, get something that is good on fuel economy and roomy. I started off with a TDI Jetta, then a couple Maxima's, and for the last 3 years have been running a Toyota Venza with the V6. My territory has a lot of mountain passes so the extra power and the AWD in the winter are great. Mileage is in the mid 20's consistently with the best being 27 MPG HWY. It will comfortably carry 5 passengers and the seats fold down for anything large. 92K miles and it has been in the shop once for a bad wheel sensor that Toyota took care of.

I buy used with 20-40K miles and put 100K or more on them. I have found that you take a huge hit on depreciation when buying new, especially when you start putting a bunch of miles on.

Luke
11-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Yea I'd get a 2009+ Tacoma 4 door. I believe that is one of the best all around trucks with fuel/maintenance and all the other things factored in.

And this is my recommendation based on a TRUCK. *

rjohnson4405
11-11-2015, 03:13 PM
Probably not real applicable if you need it now, but Dodge has put a small diesel in their 1500 which gets good gas mileage.

GMC/Chevy soon puts a 4 cylinder Duramax Diesel in their well-received Canyon/Colorado which should get 30+.

I'm a diesel fan if you can't tell. Might be worth holding out for one of these if you really want the truck.

TCinVA
11-11-2015, 03:18 PM
The refreshed CRV has a much nicer interior, and it hauls a lot of stuff and gets excellent gas mileage on the highway.

I don't think of it as a "woman's" car. I think of it as a "I need something that will effortlessly absorb large amounts of highway miles that I can use to carry stuff and maybe still have some value to it with 100K on the clock" car.

ubervic
11-11-2015, 03:25 PM
Don't know exactly how much cargo area you need for your product, but if you decide that a roomy sedan might work, look at a used Crown Vic.

Don't laugh. I drove one for six years when I was in outside sales and needed a bullet-proof, easy-to-service & own vehicle, as I was driving 45K miles per year. I initially hated the idea of driving a Crown Vic, as I thought only old people, cops and taxi drivers run them. I got over that quick.

Crown Vics are cheap to buy, easy/cheap to service & maintain, and parts are readily available. Highway fuel economy is in the high 20s/low 30s. Wear components such as brakes, for example, are dirt cheap. Best of all, my 2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport was roomy in the cabin AND trunk, and my clients loved driving with me. It was a lot of fun to drive.

Jakus
11-11-2015, 03:35 PM
A used Subaru Outback would be on my list. Not sure how much cargo room you need for hauling rush jobs though.

I've been using Outbacks in a similar role going on 10 years now. They check all the boxes for me. Reasonable mileage (27+ w/4 cylinder), good cargo space especially with the rear seats folded, and a fantastic AWD system.

They won't win many beauty contests, and even fewer races, but they do work very well. They also have a deceptive amount a ground clearance, 8+ inches, which rivals most factory SUV and pickups.

But for me for a work vehicle function>form...

JM Campbell
11-11-2015, 04:30 PM
I work at a very high sales Nissan dealer, a frontier will not meet your needs. The v6 is a gas hog compared to the compitition, the i-4 is under powered.

IMO the outback would be better for your situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Mr_White
11-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Marketplace is industrial valves and automation

Maybe you could still use the Civic and just put a big industrial valve on the roof, kind of like the Red Bull car. ;)

olstyn
11-11-2015, 05:30 PM
The Audi A4 and A6 have deceptively large trunks, the rear seats fold almost flat (or you can get the "Avant" station wagon versions), quattro models have an excellent AWD system, they're "luxury" cars, so they look good for clients, they're nice to be in and to drive, and lightly used (<50K miles) examples can be had in your price range. The only real hitch is that maintenance costs will be higher than Japanese or American cars & trucks. (Just about anything that has broken on my '02 A4 has been a $500+ repair, but otherwise I love the car.)

Dagga Boy
11-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Everyone I know with an Outback loves them. I can see them being a good vehicle for what you are doing.

BehindBlueI's
11-11-2015, 05:49 PM
My aunt in GA does something similar, construction bids and the like. She drives a 4runner until it hits 300k miles then gets another 4runner. Looks nice, apparently drives well, and enough room to haul the occasional dishwasher, floor sander, etc.

Mr_White
11-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Everyone I know with an Outback loves them. I can see them being a good vehicle for what you are doing.

Outbacks are very popular here in Portland. Make of that what you will.

camel
11-11-2015, 07:10 PM
An outback would be at the top of my list if it was me. I beleive they can tow 2700 lbs as well.

farscott
11-11-2015, 07:35 PM
I am on the other side of this as I am usually the customer. Based on my experience working with successful outside sales people, I suggest getting a large sedan, not a truck to use to meet with clients. Here are the reasons:

1) Some of your customers and principals may be ladies wearing skirts and dresses. They will not want to climb in and out of your truck.
2) You need a way to store laptops and other valuables out of sight when dining with clients. A sedan trunk is perfect for this, and a pickup is the worst.
3) A large sedan will allow you to carry four clients or principals in reasonable comfort and project a professional image without the clients wondering why the sales guy drives a more expensive vehicle than they do.
4) Better fuel economy while transporting people in comfort compared to a truck or SUV.
5) You can use the trunk to transport a reasonable amount of valves. You can always get a hitch and get a U-Haul trailer if you need to carry more valves.
6) The sedan interior will be quieter for phone calls in the car. Be sure to purchase a vehicle with full Bluetooth integration of the phone to the vehicle audio system.

Depending upon your clients, you may wish to buy American or foreign. That decision needs to be made based on to whom your customers sell. If your customers are selling to GM, showing up with a Toyota may be a bad idea.

Of the outside sales guys that I actually trust, one drives a 2014 Ford Taurus, and the other one drives a Toyota Avalon.

vcdgrips
11-12-2015, 12:15 PM
I was a sales rep years ago for a fortune 100 company. We only drove American 4 doors. All the reasons above re why a truck can be bad for the ladies ( and folks with mobility issues) is spot on.

You are never going to lose a sale because you are driving a Taurus. The same cannot be said if you are driving a non USA brand even if it made right down the road.

YMMV Greatly.

Shellback
11-16-2015, 10:32 AM
My wife's got the Outback 3.6R and with the rear seats folded down it'll hold a 65" Vizio in the box, laying down flat, without a problem.

Peally
11-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Don't know exactly how much cargo area you need for your product, but if you decide that a roomy sedan might work, look at a used Crown Vic.

Don't laugh. I drove one for six years when I was in outside sales and needed a bullet-proof, easy-to-service & own vehicle, as I was driving 45K miles per year. I initially hated the idea of driving a Crown Vic, as I thought only old people, cops and taxi drivers run them. I got over that quick.

Crown Vics are cheap to buy, easy/cheap to service & maintain, and parts are readily available. Highway fuel economy is in the high 20s/low 30s. Wear components such as brakes, for example, are dirt cheap. Best of all, my 2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport was roomy in the cabin AND trunk, and my clients loved driving with me. It was a lot of fun to drive.

My daily driver is a vic. It's about as close as you can get to a truck without buying a truck.

JAD
11-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Congratulations-- I followed a similar path 20 years ago and it's been a good ride.

I would suggest that how your customers feel about your car is its most significant criterion.

If you sell an American product DO NOT get a foreign vehicle. I sell German connectors and drive what I would otherwise recommend -- a used VW TDI wagon. Going cheap right now.

A wagon would be ideal but the Americans don't sell one. I would therefore go with a medium sized sedan, either a Malibu or a fusion. Keep it unostentatious but comfortable in trim level. Buy it used.

ASH556
11-16-2015, 01:25 PM
So a follow-up question to those recommending the sedan (and I get it, believe me. It really makes the most sense). Do you have a 3rd vehicle (older pickup or something) for hunting/fishing/Home Depot, etc? Is it feasible to pick up a late 90's truck for $3,000-$5,000 and just use it when needed? Seems like there would be some insurance/maintenance tradeoffs to consider there. For additional reference, my wife's car is a 2012 Honda Odyssey van, loaded to the hilt. It's what we drive to church, family trips, etc.

Bottom line question is should I buy a truck for sales that will also have 4WD to work for hunting/fishing/Home Depot, or do I get a more fuel efficient, less expensive car to drive for sales everyday (Accord, Camry, etc) and then a beater truck for weekend stuff.

Thanks again!

ubervic
11-16-2015, 01:45 PM
You will have to prioritize based on your anticipated needs and those of your clients.

What is the nature of your clients?
Will you take clients out? If so, how often? How many at a time?
If you will never take clients out, do you anticipate that they will ever see the vehicle that you drive? Will they care what it is or isn't?

The Apprentice
11-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Ok some I'm an actual pipefitter general forman so as a customer I honestly could care less what you drive when you show up on a job site. All I want from you is to get my stuff to me when you say it will be there. I usually have reps bring food to the site for two reasons I dont have time to go to lunch with you and I want you to take care of my guys. Honestly I wouldnt want to be hauling around valves in the back of my personal truck cause you say 80 to 100 pounds until that rush job comes up and we're sticking an 8" 1000# steam fisher valve in the back of your truck. I would go with a good used camry or accord that way from the get go you are using the shop truck or courior service. Ask your self this is going to home depot or hunting a few times a year really worth all the extra money on gas to get a 4x4. You've managed with a civic so why spend the extra cash.

littlejerry
11-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Get a sedan or small ute if you need a hatch. Skip the truck. If there is a valve you can't fit in the sedan your employer or customer can pay for the courier.

Do you actually need a truck in your personal life? I've gotten by just borrowing one for the odd home depot run. Hatchbacks and small suvs are incredibly versatile, cheaper to own, and cheaper to buy.

Something like a ford escape may be a good compromise for business and hobbies.

BWT
11-17-2015, 12:36 AM
So a follow-up question to those recommending the sedan (and I get it, believe me. It really makes the most sense). Do you have a 3rd vehicle (older pickup or something) for hunting/fishing/Home Depot, etc? Is it feasible to pick up a late 90's truck for $3,000-$5,000 and just use it when needed? Seems like there would be some insurance/maintenance tradeoffs to consider there. For additional reference, my wife's car is a 2012 Honda Odyssey van, loaded to the hilt. It's what we drive to church, family trips, etc.

Bottom line question is should I buy a truck for sales that will also have 4WD to work for hunting/fishing/Home Depot, or do I get a more fuel efficient, less expensive car to drive for sales everyday (Accord, Camry, etc) and then a beater truck for weekend stuff.

Thanks again!

I would say buy a decent car and a beater truck.

Presentation does matter, and if you're doing outside sales; that matters.

I would also consider the advice given by JAD above this. Buying Domestic products and using domestic products is not a bad idea.

I hope this was helpful.

God Bless,

Brandon.

I drive a foreign brand car; for what it's worth. Subaru Forrester; I know... it's a glorified station wagon. I think cops have seen me speeding and not pulled me over to because they thought "Who am I kidding? It's a guy in his 20's driving a station wagon; give him a break". :cool:

That being said, I don't like the horizontally opposed engine long term; I can go into more details on that if you'd like. Long story short; they use a lot of seals to get the engine pistons to be horizontal which is great for the peppiness of the car and power for the size, etc.. Add a 150k+ miles and those seals start going bad and leaking.

45dotACP
11-17-2015, 04:12 AM
My daily driver is a vic. It's about as close as you can get to a truck without buying a truck.
I always wondered about "fleet vehicles". Look at what the cops and taxi drivers use...it'll likely be reliable if you keep up on maintenance and maintenance will likely be cheap and my line of reasoning was all based on a joke I once heard about how the only thing cheaper than a cop is two cops...

But then I drive a Hyundai. 100,000 mile warranty was a key selling point.