PDA

View Full Version : Glock Extractor

vmi-mo
09-25-2011, 10:24 AM
While shooting this weekend it was brought to my attention that I should replace the extractor in my Gen 3 G19.

Now I spent the morning reading up on what extractor goes with what gen.

From reading it seems that the LCI extractors seem to cause some problems even in gen3 guns. However the older 90 degree ones are for older generations.

Two things:

Is the above statement about LCI/Gen3 correct?

Where can one buy the non-LCI 15 degree extractors? My specific extractor number is "8" (I think)

Thanks
PJ

JV_
09-25-2011, 10:27 AM
From reading it seems that the LCI extractors seem to cause some problems even in gen3 guns. However the older 90 degree ones are for older generations.LCIs worked just fine in Gen 3 glocks for YEARS. It wasn't until the "dip" modification that was done in (early) 2010 did problems start surfacing. IMO, if you already have an LCI, you should be looking for an LCI extractor without the dip.

FWIW: I'm not replacing any of my extractors until they fail, but I do have some on hand for when that happens.

Long tom coffin
09-25-2011, 01:27 PM
LCIs worked just fine in Gen 3 glocks for YEARS. It wasn't until the "dip" modification that was done in (early) 2010 did problems start surfacing. IMO, if you already have an LCI, you should be looking for an LCI extractor without the dip. I know of a "stash" in Northern VA if you're interested in getting one locally.

FWIW: I'm not replacing any of my extractors until they fail, but I do have some on hand for when that happens.

It's also worth noting that since the early to mid 2011 Glock has been tweaking with the dip extractors, supposedly manufacturing them to better tolerances. After an equal amount of rounds through my 2010 Gen 4 G19 and my mid 2011 Gen 3 19, I've noticed the extractor in the Gen 3 is showing significantly less wear on certain points than my Gen 4 has.

JV_
09-25-2011, 01:40 PM
It's also worth noting that since the early to mid 2011 Glock has been tweaking with the dip extractors

Agreed, I picked up some new extractors that didn't have the dip. I don't know if they've retreated on that design, or the shop was shipped old stock, but I was glad to see the old design. The number on the part is placed in a different location than the dip extractors, it's not on that cylinder.

LittleLebowski
09-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Send me a PM on the stash, JV?

EVP
09-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Send me a PM on the stash, JV?

Ditto, sent you a PM

JV_
09-25-2011, 04:59 PM
If you guys can't find them locally, the Lone Wolf 9mm extractor is a Glock Non-Dip LCI design.

ToddG
09-25-2011, 08:42 PM
FWIW, I've already talked to two gen4 G34 owners (which presumably have the latest extractor) and both had serious reliability issues... the same "backwards spent case in the ejection port" issue that many of us have seen in G19s and G17s.

Savage Hands
09-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Too bad Apex Tactical's reliability package won't be out before you'll probably be over with the test.

Long tom coffin
09-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Too bad Apex Tactical's reliability package won't be out before you'll probably be over with the test.

Is there a projected date or time frame for its release?

Savage Hands
09-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Not that I know of yet, they have a dozen projects on the fire already.

LittleLebowski
09-26-2011, 06:07 AM
Apex looking at Glock's problems gives me hope.

JV_
09-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Apex looking at Glock's problems gives me hope.And it underscores the suck. Glock shouldn't be giving a 3rd party an opportunity to fix their issues. We're 2 years in to these issues.

LittleLebowski
09-26-2011, 06:27 AM
And it underscores the suck. Glock shouldn't be giving a 3rd party an opportunity to fix their issues. We're 2 years in to these issues.

Agreed. It's ridiculous that while Glock trumpets the Mother of all Recoil Spring Assemblies, they are quietly replacing ejectors and slide lock springs on a quiet, case by case basis. I am disgusted. There is a two to four week wait on the new RSAs and a five to eight week turn around on the ejectors since we lowly owners cannot be trusted to change out the user serviceable part ourselves.

Ga Shooter
09-26-2011, 01:37 PM
I trust Glock will get this fixed in the end and will make everybodies guns run like a Glock should but it does seem like it is taking forever. I have 2 Gen 4 G17 the early models w/o the counter bore and they run great. BUT my newer G19 that I just got, throws cases in my face every now and then. Went to the range for the 1st time with it on Sat ran about 250 rds got about 10 cases to the face. 1 dead strike and 2 failure to go into battery. Where do I even start?

JV_
09-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Where do I even start?Gun Broker :p

ToddG
09-26-2011, 01:46 PM
I imagine any day now we'll see the new Glock ad campaign explaining why it's better to have brass eject into your face...

Ga Shooter
09-26-2011, 01:48 PM
I imagine any day now we'll see the new Glock ad campaign explaining why it's better to have brass eject into your face...

Well with my tactically glossed head the ones that are a little high just slide right off. The ones that hit me in the lip and burned had my wife asking questions ...............

Ga Shooter
09-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Just got off the phone with Dave at Glockparts and they have the tigger housings with the new ejectors and the dot connectors in stock. Thought I would tell you since I already placed my order.:D

LittleLebowski
09-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Just got off the phone with Dave at Glockparts and they have the tigger housings with the new ejectors and the dot connectors in stock. Thought I would tell you since I already placed my order.:D

Just called and he was expecting new ejectors but did not get them though he ordered them explicitly. Picked up two dot connectors :D

Ga Shooter
09-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Just called and he was expecting new ejectors but did not get them though he ordered them explicitly. Picked up two dot connectors :D

Dave just called me back. Same thing has old ejectors not new ones. False alarm.

Spr1
09-26-2011, 07:12 PM
I trust Glock will get this fixed in the end and will make everybodies guns run like a Glock should but it does seem like it is taking forever. I have 2 Gen 4 G17 the early models w/o the counter bore and they run great. BUT my newer G19 that I just got, throws cases in my face every now and then. Went to the range for the 1st time with it on Sat ran about 250 rds got about 10 cases to the face. 1 dead strike and 2 failure to go into battery. Where do I even start?

Whether referring to species or companies, survival is not compulsory. As a long time Glock customer, I hope they pull out of the tailspin.

Long tom coffin
09-27-2011, 11:46 PM

Crap. There goes my hopes.

Dave is great to order from. When I first got my dot connectors from him, I placed my order sometime after midnight (late night net surfing) and he had the order shipped an in the mail by 9 AM that morning. He's got all my business for my future glock parts. The best part is that when LWD is out of stock on their own stuff, Dave usually has it in stock, lol.

Kyle Reese
09-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Crap. There goes my hopes.

Dave is great to order from. When I first got my dot connectors from him, I placed my order sometime after midnight (late night net surfing) and he had the order shipped an in the mail by 9 AM that morning. He's got all my business for my future glock parts. The best part is that when LWD is out of stock on their own stuff, Dave usually has it in stock, lol.

Same! I called Dave at 20 mins till 5, and at no time was he rushing me, etc. Ordered 3 of the dot connectors as well. :cool:

jerry12
09-30-2011, 05:22 PM
I was reading where the G4 was giving trouble with the extractor's.

Mitchell, Esq.
10-02-2011, 09:41 PM
This extractor: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=155971&CAT=136 is supposed to be as good or better than the "pre-problem" parts?

Savage Hands
10-02-2011, 11:54 PM

It's great for reloaders with 'Brass drop pouches' :cool:

JM Campbell
10-03-2011, 05:11 PM
It's great for reloaders with 'Brass drop pouches' :cool:

I better get my brass catcher hat to market fast then!

Savage Hands
10-08-2011, 08:25 AM
I better get my brass catcher hat to market fast then!

That's a better idea than mine :o

And a quick update on the Apex parts:

Just an update- the new barstock extractor is in the prototype phase, as is a matching ejector.

I know Glock is producing the new ejector so ours may be unnecessary.
That said, my goal is to provide a single kit that improves extraction (while maintaining reliable feeding) and alters the ejection pattern so that the spent case leaves the ejection port without crashing into sidewall.

-Randy

fuse
10-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Most excellent. The more the merrier.

AFK47
11-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Can anyone show me pics of what a dip style extractor looks like? Just curious as to what the deviations between the generations and what not are. My G17 that extracts casings to my dome and ordered the Lone Wolf LCI replacement. If I am looking at my gun correctly from the top, the right corner of the ejection port is angled a but thus meaning it has a 15 degree cut.

Argus
11-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Can anyone show me pics of what a dip style extractor looks like? Just curious as to what the deviations between the generations and what not are. My G17 that extracts casings to my dome and ordered the Lone Wolf LCI replacement. If I am looking at my gun correctly from the top, the right corner of the ejection port is angled a but thus meaning it has a 15 degree cut.

This thread at FT&T has got a lot of info and pics in it: http://www.firearmstrainingandtactics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1546

FWIW I have a G17 (Gen 3) that has pinged me in the head with brass since I bought it last year. I finally went out last week and found a local shop that had a few non-LCI 15 degree extractors in stock and picked one up, along with the correct SLB. I only had time to put about 100 rounds through it after swapping the extractor out, but so far it seems to be working. I had a couple of cases glance off my right arm, but everything else went consistently to my 5 o'clock; nothing like before when it would just send case after case into my forehead.

My shooting improved immediately as well. I thought I had been flinching or anticipating my shots. I was flinching all right, or maybe cringing is a better word for it, not from the gunshot, but from the hot brass flying at my face.

My particular G17 was made in 2006, so it should have had one of the "good" LCI extractors in it already. Switching to the older style seems to have worked for me, at least so far. Hopefully you will have similar results with the LWD.