PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 4

Josh Runkle
11-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Comes out tonight at midnight.

Who else is playing?

helothar
11-09-2015, 11:52 AM
purchased and pre loaded on PC. it will take some serious will power to not play all night and call in sick to work tomorrow

breakingtime91
11-09-2015, 12:08 PM
uh, didn't know there were other gamers on here... I would be playing it but battlefront comes out in a little over a week..I usually only play MMOs on computer but haven't since my brother passed away.

Chance
11-09-2015, 12:23 PM
Not going anywhere near Fallout 4 until the holidays roll around, and maybe not after then. Skyrim... wasn't healthy for me.

Default.mp3
11-09-2015, 12:32 PM
uh, didn't know there were other gamers on here... I would be playing it but battlefront comes out in a little over a week..I usually only play MMOs on computer but haven't since my brother passed away.Plenty of gamers on this site (both vidya and pen & paper). Lord knows more than one person's H&K bias (mine included) was due to video games (Counter-Strike 1.5 for me; dat USP-T).

I just spent ~164 hours last month on Witcher 3 (greatest RPG I've ever played, perhaps greatest game I've ever played), so I'm not ready for a long-ass RPG this soon. That, and I never played the first 2 Fallout games, while FO3 didn't really do it for me, so I didn't touch FO: NV. I'll might get around to it this time next year, as I still have Dragon's Age: Inquisition to start, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided preordered, along with the requisite SC2: LotV and Halo 5 campaigns.

breakingtime91
11-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Plenty of gamers on this site (both vidya and pen & paper). Lord knows more than one person's H&K bias (mine included) was due to video games (Counter-Strike 1.5 for me; dat USP-T).

I just spent ~164 hours last month on Witcher 3 (greatest RPG I've ever played, perhaps greatest game I've ever played), so I'm not ready for a long-ass RPG this soon. That, and I never played the first 2 Fallout games, while FO3 didn't really do it for me, so I didn't touch FO: NV. I'll might get around to it this time next year, as I still have Dragon's Age: Inquisition to start, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided preordered, along with the requisite SC2: LotV and Halo 5 campaigns.

just finished halo 5 on legendary last night.. holy shit it was cool. I am currently in a weird place with school because my wife is switching jobs in the military so I literally have way to much time on my hands.. been looking for a fun computer game to make time go faster.

Default.mp3
11-09-2015, 12:47 PM
just finished halo 5 on legendary last night.. holy shit it was cool. I am currently in a weird place with school because my wife is switching jobs in the military so I literally have way to much time on my hands.. been looking for a fun computer game to make time go faster.I can't call myself a true fanboy, as I've never read the books (which came way before the games, actually), but the Witcher series is a great time sink, if the whole dark fantasy setting is your thing. Note that unlike Bioware's attempts at player decisions, your choices are not relegated to WWJD vs. Douchebag-mode, and the consequences can actually be quite unpredictable, at least in the second and third game; it's been awhile since I played the first. If you find yourself still in need of entertainment after finishing what I assume will be a behemoth of a game in FO4, I highly recommend Witcher 2 and Witcher 3; Witcher 1's pretty good, too, but it ain't no masterpiece like the other two (IMO), and you don't have to play the other games to understand the sequels.

Artemas
11-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Happily watching "preparing for shipment" on amazon

Halo 5 is being put on hold for a while:D

Peally
11-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Just finished Witcher 3, prolly take work off this week for Fallout 4 ;)

Coyotesfan97
11-09-2015, 02:37 PM
On the AZ gun forum I help moderate there's 3-4 guys who have taken days off so they can play it.

Edwin
11-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Another gamer checking in. I'd like FO4 but I really need to update my 670Ti. Still tearing it up in Heroes of the Storm.

breakingtime91
11-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Another gamer checking in. I'd like FO4 but I really need to update my 670Ti. Still tearing it up in Heroes of the Storm.

Is that game good?

Edwin
11-09-2015, 04:50 PM
So damn good. I love it much more than League of Legends. Blizzard knows what's up.

Also out today: Legacy of the Void.

On topic: Deathclaw steel target. https://imgur.com/a/poam8

rauchman
11-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Not going anywhere near Fallout 4 until the holidays roll around, and maybe not after then. Skyrim... wasn't healthy for me.

Oh so true!

Regarding FO4, is it Xbox 360 compatible?

JAD
11-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Gamer, but only multiplayer once a week so fallout has no charm. Been playing BF4 since inception and it's stale, battlefront does not have the appeal we thought it would, so we're hoping that rainbow 6 will pan out.

breakingtime91
11-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Gamer, but only multiplayer once a week so fallout has no charm. Been playing BF4 since inception and it's stale, battlefront does not have the appeal we thought it would, so we're hoping that rainbow 6 will pan out.

heard launch is going to be much better than the beta. xbox 1?

breakingtime91
11-09-2015, 09:56 PM
So damn good. I love it much more than League of Legends. Blizzard knows what's up.

Also out today: Legacy of the Void.

On topic: Deathclaw steel target. https://imgur.com/a/poam8

downloaded it tonight. time to newb it up

JAD
11-09-2015, 09:57 PM
heard launch is going to be much better than the beta. xbox 1?

PC.

JMorse
11-10-2015, 01:47 AM
I haven't tried any of the Fallout series, but am super happy that Starcraft 2's latest expec went live about 2 hours ago.

Robinson
11-10-2015, 10:35 AM
I could probably get into the Fallout series if the shooting mechanics were more in line with FPS games. I realize Fallout is more RPG than FPS but still, there is enough action in the game to warrant a solid shooting control scheme. Relying on VATS just seems like a gimmick to me. Anyway, maybe the shooting aspects are better in this new version?

Peally
11-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Haven't had a chance to see for myself but it was mentioned in interviews that they worked on making the shooting more modernized. VATS has been in the series since the first game, so that's why it's in there even with the FPS games.

Edwin
11-10-2015, 11:40 AM
They did improve the shooting mechanic over FO3 and NV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFgbt1HIYzs

helothar
11-10-2015, 12:12 PM
I resisted the temptation to play last night because I knew 1 hour would turn into 3. looking forward to putting some time in this evening

Chance
11-10-2015, 01:07 PM
I could probably get into the Fallout series if the shooting mechanics were more in line with FPS games.

You can play Fallout 3 and New Vegas without using VATS, if you wanted to. I went through plenty of shoot outs without using it. But like was mentioned earlier, it goes back to the game's roots.

The original Fallout is still eminently playable by the way, provided you're patient enough to get it running. It was way ahead of its time, and if they're making an HD Final Fantasy VII, Fallout needs a remake too.

Peally
11-11-2015, 12:55 PM
Only played a few hours last night but it's definitely leaps and bounds more refined than 3. For those wondering, VATS and the shooting is more fluid as well. VATS no longer pauses the world, just puts it into slow motion (so you can't use it to go grab a drink and ponder the meaning of life). It works more like a brief way to slap together your thoughts before you get stabbed again. I went through all the combat real-time save for a couple very hairy situations, and it felt pretty good.

Also the intro video for this installment is easily the best of the series (no spoilers, it's just the recap video you see when you start a new game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J1t8DPPX3I

Luke
11-11-2015, 01:06 PM
So dude was in WW2 with an infant son and now it's 2077 and he still had an infant son??

It looks cool though. Haven't blamed anything since blacks ops 2 came out lol

Peally
11-11-2015, 01:16 PM
The WW2 guy was the grandfather of the protagonist.

LHS
11-11-2015, 01:27 PM
I'll probably pick this up once the GotY edition comes out, but what I'm really awaiting is Dishonored 2.

Josh Runkle
11-11-2015, 05:44 PM
I'm loving this game!

breakingtime91
11-11-2015, 11:40 PM
anyone who is into computer based mmo rvr will love camelot unchained. Only way to level up your character/get good gear is to kill other realms players/pillage their land..

Robinson
11-12-2015, 08:49 AM
I'll probably pick this up once the GotY edition comes out, but what I'm really awaiting is Dishonored 2.

I'm looking forward to that myself. And Doom. And the next Deus Ex game...

t1tan
11-12-2015, 11:55 AM
I was lucky enough to get the Pip-Boy edition so preloading wasn't an option for me, but install on Steam was about 35 minutes so not too bad, it was just waiting for UPS that sucked. About 12 hours in right now and loving it, mechanics are improved vastly over 3/NV, but still everything I love about the series so far.

Running ultra settings with a TITAN X card on my 55" Samsung using the new Xbox Elite Controller.

One thing to note, I'm used to wandering and stacking up quests while opening up the map in this series. Some quests are timed and you can fail them if you don't complete them, found out the hard way.

helothar
11-12-2015, 12:23 PM
I was lucky enough to get the Pip-Boy edition so preloading wasn't an option for me, but install on Steam was about 35 minutes so not too bad, it was just waiting for UPS that sucked. About 12 hours in right now and loving it, mechanics are improved vastly over 3/NV, but still everything I love about the series so far.

Running ultra settings with a TITAN X card on my 55" Samsung using the new Xbox Elite Controller.

One thing to note, I'm used to wandering and stacking up quests while opening up the map in this series. Some quests are timed and you can fail them if you don't complete them, found out the hard way.
good to know, looks like I better to try and save that small town as soon as I get home

Josh Runkle
11-12-2015, 01:23 PM

I'm also about 12 hours in, but I haven't hit anything like that yet. Can you give an example without a spoiler?

PPGMD
11-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Well I bought this last night. Did Amazon for a code, which I copy and pasted into my Xbox Live account in the computer browser. About 2.5 hours later it was ready to play.

Honestly, I am not digging this game nearly as much as Skyrim. Skyrim was fun to explore, this is just too bleak.

Peally
11-12-2015, 01:47 PM
this is just too bleak.

It's an apocalyptic wasteland

Just saying :D

t1tan
11-12-2015, 02:32 PM
I'm also about 12 hours in, but I haven't hit anything like that yet. Can you give an example without a spoiler?

I'll look up the mission title when I get the chance if you need it, but I was supposed to save hostages. I was exploring a rail yard and taking out some ghouls and it popped up that I failed the mission.

You'll be told about the mission by Preston Garvey after you start to establish Sanctuary.

Luke
11-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Are these games any fun without Xbox live?

t1tan
11-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Are these games any fun without Xbox live?

It's a single player campaign, so with or without there is no difference.

I picked up the iPad Pro yesterday and have been running the Pip-Boy app and notes at the same time tracking things I pass up, locks, terminals, legendary enemies, etc. while keeping the map up tracking where I am real-time.

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg456/t1tan19/Forums/IMG_0001.PNG_zps3fhm2gwt.png

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg456/t1tan19/Forums/IMG_0885_zpstexh0d5x.jpg

PPGMD
11-12-2015, 02:46 PM
It's an apocalyptic wasteland

Just saying :D

Yeah, but Skyrim sucked me in with just the environment. So far 3-4 hours in I am meh on it.

Maybe once I start going down the main quest I will get sucked in more.

t1tan
11-12-2015, 11:24 PM
'Kidnapping at Oberland Station' is the mission I mentioned with an unknown time limit.

Josh Runkle
11-13-2015, 06:29 AM
'Kidnapping at Oberland Station' is the mission I mentioned with an unknown time limit.

Cool, thanks. I'm 20 hours in and haven't received that mission yet. I love how massive fallout games are. You definitely more than get your money's worth.

t1tan
11-13-2015, 05:31 PM
Cool, thanks. I'm 20 hours in and haven't received that mission yet. I love how massive fallout games are. You definitely more than get your money's worth.

Definitely, before DLC this game is supposed to have 400+ hours of content, not to mention mods later.

Chance
11-15-2015, 03:24 PM
I swore I wouldn't buy the game until the holidays rolled around. ...I have poor impulse control.

At any rate, I can't give over how bad the PC UI is. It's like they split the design between multiple teams, and only let the teams coordinate with smoke signals and carrier pigeons.

Josh Runkle
11-15-2015, 04:57 PM

Haha. Ok, 40 hours in and still haven't triggered that mission yet. Love this game!

t1tan
11-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Haha. Ok, 40 hours in and still haven't triggered that mission yet. Love this game!

Same, 24 hours in, level 22, and have everything West of Diamond city unlocked and cleared. The Glowing Sea is intense.

t1tan
03-14-2016, 09:18 AM
https://youtu.be/aMY0IETkDrU

Josh Runkle
03-14-2016, 12:13 PM
I wasn't that excited until I saw the trailer. I have the season pass, so I'll have it either way. I'm really excited for the one that's in May or June...Far Harbor or something.

Robinson
03-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Yes Far Harbor looks pretty good. I stopped playing a while ago at about a Level 60 or so with no real mission drivers left. I never did use the VATS or the power armor much.

In the meantime, FarCry Primal is entertaining.

t1tan
03-14-2016, 01:06 PM
I stopped at 203 hours after I beat the game with each faction, level 70. An hour after the trailer came out I got an invite to the beta so it's installed and I'll be starting Automatron later today.

t1tan
03-14-2016, 09:21 PM
Well that was fast, about 5 hours of play time. Overall I really liked it, and I was streaming on twitch and the chat seemed to enjoy it as well. Looking forward to Far Harbor since it's supposed to be huge.

Josh Runkle
03-14-2016, 09:35 PM
My first play through was about 200 hours, level 79. Beat all factions (by going back to earlier saves). I'm on my second play through only level 20 or so, but only about 12 hours. I started with intelligence of 1 and the idiot savant perk.