PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Buying a 9mm Can But Have Questions About the Host

okie john
11-08-2015, 07:08 PM
After decades of using both ear plugs and muffs at the same time, I've noticed a persistent ringing in my ears after I leave the range, even if I only fire 50-60 rounds of 9mm practice ammo.

I'm thinking of adding a can to my inventory in hopes of slowing down the hearing loss. I know almost nothing about the cans themselves, but for now I'm focused on the host. I own several Glock pistols and have a lot of trigger time on them, plus I have a lot of tools and parts on hand for them. I prefer the Gen4s, so I'd like to use either a Gen4 G17 or G19 for the host. If there's an exponentially better option, then I might be willing to shift away from Glocks as carry guns, but I'd like to stay with them if that's possible/advisable.

I know Glock makes Gen3 G17 and G19 pistols with threaded barrels and tall sights, but I haven't seen any Gen4 guns set up that way with OEM parts. Does Glock make threaded barrels specifically for Gen4 guns or do I need to go aftermarket? Are the OEM barrels worth trying, or should I go straight to aftermarket?

What do you guys think? What am I overlooking?

Thanks in advance,

Okie John

JHC
11-08-2015, 07:12 PM
When I contacted Bar Sto regarding a Gen 4 vs Gen 3 barrel their email reply said Gen didn't matter. I lost interest and never pursued the question further.

JSGlock34
11-08-2015, 07:46 PM
There are no 'GEN3' or 'GEN4' barrels. The barrel was not changed in the GEN4 'update'.

I use an OEM threaded barrel in my GEN4 G17 with my AAC Ti-Rant 9.

nalesq
11-08-2015, 11:18 PM
I believe the Glock factory threaded barrel is metric. Because the 9mm silencer I bought (a Gemtech GM9) already came with a 1/2x28 mount, I used an aftermarket threaded barrel in that size for the G19 purchased directly from Gemtech, which works fine.

Clusterfrack
11-09-2015, 01:04 AM
I like the KKM threaded barrel for Glocks.

Hansohn Brothers
11-09-2015, 06:46 AM
I believe the Glock factory threaded barrel is metric. Because the 9mm silencer I bought (a Gemtech GM9) already came with a 1/2x28 mount, I used an aftermarket threaded barrel in that size for the G19 purchased directly from Gemtech, which works fine.

Correct. Factory Glock barrels: 9mm = 13.5mm x 1 and .45 = 16mm x 1. Both left hand threads.

okie john
11-09-2015, 11:48 AM
I'm a huge fan of aftermarket barrels for non-suppressed use, but are there any reasons to choose an aftermarket threaded barrel over an OEM threaded barrel for suppressed use? Any drawbacks?

Thanks,

Okie John

ffhounddog
11-09-2015, 04:48 PM
I have a surefire can on order. Might go with a surefire made by zevtech barrel. Dunno.

StraitR
11-09-2015, 11:08 PM
I'm a huge fan of aftermarket barrels for non-suppressed use, but are there any reasons to choose an aftermarket threaded barrel over an OEM threaded barrel for suppressed use? Any drawbacks?

Thanks,

Okie John

I think the biggest reason to go aftermarket is thread pitch options. If you're ok with the factory pitch, in this case 13.5x1LH thread, then nothing wrong with the factory barrels. That said, you may be able to squeak a little accuracy out an aftermarket fitted barrel, but not necessarily so with a drop in. Another point of contention is Glock factory barrels inability, or limited based on what I've read, to shoot lead cast bullets, if that's important to you.

okie john
11-10-2015, 12:11 PM
I think the biggest reason to go aftermarket is thread pitch options. If you're ok with the factory pitch, in this case 13.5x1LH thread, then nothing wrong with the factory barrels. That said, you may be able to squeak a little accuracy out an aftermarket fitted barrel, but not necessarily so with a drop in. Another point of contention is Glock factory barrels inability, or limited based on what I've read, to shoot lead cast bullets, if that's important to you.

Thanks. That's what I suspected.

I've had pretty luck with cast bullets in OEM barrels, but you have to know which hoops to jump through and how to jump through them, which is another thread entirely. I'll probably stick to jacketed for suppressed use.

Okie John

StraitR
11-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Thanks. That's what I suspected.

I've had pretty luck with cast bullets in OEM barrels, but you have to know which hoops to jump through and how to jump through them, which is another thread entirely. I'll probably stick to jacketed for suppressed use.

Okie John

You're quite welcome.

And that is highly recommended, especially if you end up with a can that is not user serviceable.

Josh Runkle
11-11-2015, 12:17 PM
I prefer the OEM GLOCK barrels. I had an aftermarket for a GLOCK 21 and GLOCK 19 before GLOCK released theirs. I prefer the GLOCK OEM versions. Accuracy is great. Threads are great.