PDA

View Full Version : Custom "tactical" or like clothing

voodoo_man
11-06-2015, 07:52 PM
If you could buy a custom made pant, shirt, jacket, or the like, would you?

For example, consider vertx pants, most people have a pair, would you buy something similar for 20-40% more cost but it would be exactly your size and/or design specifically for "work" in a tactical sense. (Note, not crazy tactical like kitanica)

*if this post violates rules plz delete. Not trying to drum up business, just looking to see what people prefer in terms of clothing and if they would pay a premium for premium.

MVS
11-06-2015, 08:09 PM
I am just now getting into custom made dress shirts. I personally would have zero interest in custom made tactical clothing, but who knows, it may be a huge market.

helothar
11-06-2015, 08:09 PM
I would be interested in some premium denim jeans for sure similar to what TAD has designed

Chris Rhines
11-06-2015, 08:12 PM
I would suck a bunch of really unpleasant things for a pair of khakis that fit, and lasted more than a year before they lost their creases or started fraying at the cuffs. Ditto, a pair of wool dress slacks.

helothar
11-06-2015, 08:34 PM
I would suck a bunch of really unpleasant things for a pair of khakis that fit, and lasted more than a year before they lost their creases or started fraying at the cuffs. Ditto, a pair of wool dress slacks.
ditto that on some business casual stuff, something with pockets purpose built for carrying a small gun like a PPS or a pocket within a pocket just big enough for a folding blade so the clip isn't visible

David S.
11-06-2015, 08:55 PM
I'd strongly consider.

JAD
11-06-2015, 09:03 PM
I would be interested in both twill and wool pants that would make pocket carry possible without being so roomy that I look like an Oompa Loompa. It would require some weird physics, though, as well as being fitted.

If the cotton were $180 and the wool $250, and I could get 10% off that, I'd buy three of each.

ubervic
11-06-2015, 09:24 PM
I'm not a good prospect for custom pants, but custom made shirts/jackets are another story. I'm broad-shouldered but short-waisted, so 'standard' MEDIUM typically fits me height-wise, while 'standard' LARGE typically fits me chest-wise....while seldom does one or the other do both.

I'd pony-up 25% more for the right fit.

PPGMD
11-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Honestly I don't have any real issues with the design of 5.11 Taclite pants and shorts. Particularly the stuff made within the last few years, they hold their color much better than 5.11's early stuff.

If I had a custom made pairs only changes I would like would be a EOTAC style wallet pocket, and a zipper on the right leg of the pants so I can access my prosthetic.

TGS
11-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Nah.

I guess I've never found a deficiency with my midnight-sale clothes from Kohl's to need customization/optimization.

On the other hand, just as most gun toters (professional or private citizen) don't even know what the fuck a gun belt is, it's quite possible I don't know what I'm missing.

Kyle Reese
11-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Nah.

I guess I've never found a deficiency with my midnight-sale clothes from Kohl's to need customization/optimization.

On the other hand, just as most gun toters (professional or private citizen) don't even know what the fuck a gun belt is, it's quite possible I don't know what I'm missing.

J.C Penney special gun belt. :cool:

SLG
11-06-2015, 09:39 PM
Nah.

On your new job, all the cool guys have custom made suits/shirts/shoes. There really is a difference, but I usually reserved them for advance work, not left rear.

TGS
11-06-2015, 09:52 PM
On your new job, all the cool guys have custom made suits/shirts/shoes. There really is a difference, but I usually reserved them for advance work, not left rear.

Now that I'm not a bum, I guess it behooves me to invest in some nice stuff besides custom holsters and belts. I can't resist JRC's leather work....he's about to get more requests from me.

No kidding though, one of our guys walked into the gym at the training center with a Gucci gym bag. We couldn't even process the thought of a $600 gym bag....it still makes for great laughs. This guy practically shits diamonds when he sharts (http://www.poopingproblems.com/shart/). I'd have to say we're quite a dapper group....

Chance
11-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Why not buy generic stuff, and have it modified? I believe it was Tiffany who has a seamstress do all sorts of things to her holsters, for instance.

Matt O
11-06-2015, 10:07 PM
I've found it's much easier to find casual clothing brands/sizes that will fit one's particular physique - for example Vertx and Kuhl clothing fits me very well. In the US, in terms of dress clothing, however, IME most suit/shirt sizing runs rather large. You can get away with off-the-rack pants for the most part, but unless you're Tony Soprano-sized, most shirts and suits won't fit well. If you can spare the scratch, tailor-made clothing is almost always preferable, however this is obviously heavily dependent on the nature of the job you're wearing the clothing to engage in.

Maple Syrup Actual
11-06-2015, 10:07 PM
I'll pay money for stuff that has some kind of tactical application, but nobody would ever guess that from looking at it.

If it's remotely cargo-ey, then no, I'm buying it for $20 at LAPG, because it's cargo pants and I don't care. I have selvedge denim and I'll spend money on clothes...just not anything that's not going to be wearable on a date.

breakingtime91
11-06-2015, 10:15 PM
I really need some khaki pants that have more room in the crotchal area

Josh Runkle
11-06-2015, 10:40 PM
I really need some khaki pants that have more room in the crotchal area

Apparently you didn't get the memo.

You see, I have been informed by nearly every liberal opinion show that men who carry guns do so because they aren't very large in the "crotchal" area.

So, you should be good. No need to thank me. Just passing along the info.

orionz06
11-06-2015, 11:22 PM
Custom tactical pants? Like MOLLE knee pads and patch panels on the ass?

Luke
11-06-2015, 11:32 PM
Sometimes I wish I was some knarley door kicker so I could justify my inner child and dress like a knarley door kicker. Sadly I'm a sighvilyan.

YVK
11-06-2015, 11:36 PM
Dressy multi-pocket pants that don't look stuffed up when you actually put stuff in those pockets. Hidden cargo pockets that don't protrude, empty of full. Supportive waistband. Etc.

TGS
11-07-2015, 12:27 AM
Sometimes I wish I was some knarley door kicker so I could justify my inner child and dress like a knarley door kicker. Sadly I'm a sighvilyan.

So become one. It's a choice, not a caste system you're born into.

Luke
11-07-2015, 12:37 AM
So become one. It's a choice, not a caste system you're born into.

Wife, 2 kids, company that matches 401k, has pension and good insurance. That's what I keep telling myself. I told my wife I'm retiring after 20 years and going to find some place that has a swat team and go try that. And then spend a few thousand on some cool clothes and go take classes in my work gear. Until then I will sit on the sidelines saying things like this haha

OnionsAndDragons
11-07-2015, 12:41 AM
Dressy multi-pocket pants that don't look stuffed up when you actually put stuff in those pockets. Hidden cargo pockets that don't protrude, empty of full. Supportive waistband. Etc.

This.

TAD has gotten close for me with some models, but I know it could be better. If I could get pants like these, or dressy stuff like JAD described, that would last for more than a couple years of wear, I would pay up.

I love cargo pockets soooooooo much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

breakingtime91
11-07-2015, 12:45 AM
Wife, 2 kids, company that matches 401k, has pension and good insurance. That's what I keep telling myself. I told my wife I'm retiring after 20 years and going to find some place that has a swat team and go try that. And then spend a few thousand on some cool clothes and go take classes in my work gear. Until then I will sit on the sidelines saying things like this haha

Or you could be red green colorblind and no one will take you. 14 months over seas as an infantryman, cant even get past the eye exam to become a cop. Its only a mild case of it to.. oh well

Luke
11-07-2015, 12:48 AM
Or you could be red green colorblind and no one will take you. 14 months over seas as an infantryman, cant even get past the eye exam to become a cop. Its only a mild case of it to.. oh well

Move to Alabama man, we don't even have eyes here.

voodoo_man
11-07-2015, 05:35 AM
What kind of turn around time, warranty service and other qualities would you like to see or be offered?

Meaning, you would rather have a "purchase assistant" style of buying, or everything you buy will be 100% made to your requirements and nothing else?

Default.mp3
11-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Are you talking about MTM of standard models of clothes, like what Beyond used to do? Or is there even more customization in terms of features?

I'd personally be okay with paying extra for stuff that fits properly, mainly because I do this shit for fun for the most part, and don't mind pay extra for stuff that fits. Lord knows my Vertx that I use for the VFD are cut like JNCO's for me. On the other hand, I would wager that I would be one of the select few, at least from the general population.

Warranty-wise, I'd definitely pay a bit extra for something like Infinite Guarantee. Turn-around time, I'd say four-to-six weeks is reasonable for MTM. I'd say it'd be best to have a standard set of measurements you put in, simplifies the process.

rob_s
11-07-2015, 09:45 PM
I'd prefer that vertx just not be total shit for QC and be able to produce clothing in a repeatable size.

runcible
11-07-2015, 09:51 PM
For me, a pea coat:
Made of unlined hardshell fabric, preferably with a subtle print;
Mesh lining to the sleeves and shoulders, for shaping and comfort;
Utilitarian sleeves but classically oriented seams;
Slimmer sleeves with a gusset from hem to wrist;
Open-faced snap closures for the front;
Mechanical venting;
Dual full-height, flat-sewn, shoulder bellows;
Subtle elbow reinforcements that segue into the cuff detailing;
Closureless internal storm flap;
Hand pockets,
And an interior passport pocket as with many suit coats.

Tactical in my current trade, has more to do with build quality and range of motion, then shibby pockets.

ETA: anyone have a good custom clothier in mind? :D

LittleLebowski
11-08-2015, 08:09 AM
Nope, I'm a slob :D

Drang
11-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Nope, I'm a slob :D

Ditto.
The only custom clothing I have or am ever likely to want to have were designed for 18th Century Tactical Wear, i.e., skulking behind a tree and potting at lobsterbacks.

Ptrlcop
11-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Not "tactical" but I love me some Duluth trading pants. I have several different models and like things about each of them. If I could put the pockets of one on the material of another with the cut of the third I would be stoked.

JMS
11-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Shit, no. The crap already costs in excess of it's actual worth.

The stuff that fits and has good features needs to be replaced on an annual-or-less basis, if you need to maintain a certain appearance standard where "tattered" or "distressed" isn't in the description..

The stuff that lasts gives you blisters on your taint, or comes in limited color options, or the inseam reads 32" when it SHOULD read -- 32" (+/-2") --

Bespoke tac clothing will, however, doubtless attract the Nutfancies and other disparate shemagh-homos out there, so me saying it's stupid in no way means it stands no chance at being a money-maker.

And, whichever assclown who makes this stuff, custom or no, will STILL position the "thigh" pockets of trousers in such a way that if you put anything other than lightweight stuff in them, will bash the everloving bejeezus out of the outside of your knee as you run. It's like a goddamned guild bylaw, or something.

I'd pay real money for a tac clothing maker to just engage in some professional honesty for once, and publicly advertise those pockets under the description "f**k your knee pockets."

JAD
11-11-2015, 09:51 AM
What kind of turn around time, warranty service and other qualities would you like to see or be offered?

Meaning, you would rather have a "purchase assistant" style of buying, or everything you buy will be 100% made to your requirements and nothing else?

Six to eight weeks would be livable, I don't expect a warranty on clothes but I want the fit right guaranteed, and I'd like Oxford commas included if you don't mind.

For a custom product like this I expect a storefront, an appointment, and half an hour of fitting followed by half an hour of fabric and cut selection. Makes plenty of sense with a $2K suit; I'm not sure how a company could make money with that model on $250 pants, but if the pants aren't full bore custom I'm not paying $250 for them.