PDA

View Full Version : Parachutes Are Actually Quite Flammable

Chance
11-06-2015, 03:53 PM
This was evidently a safety demonstration to illustrate the importance of carrying a backup chute. This leaves me with two questions: a) is not carrying a backup parachute a problem in the skydiving community, and b) holy crap that thing burned quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFMGvjszu4s

Peally
11-06-2015, 04:07 PM
The solution is don't fall out of the plane ;)

breakingtime91
11-06-2015, 04:23 PM
holy shit. crazy!

BehindBlueI's
11-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Aren't parachutes usually made of nylon? Did anyone think that wouldn't burn?

With the understanding this is a problem that will never be my problem, how many parachutists have had their parachute burn without intentionally shooting it with a flare gun?

Wouldn't purposefully destroying your chute to force you to use a backup chute be jumping without a backup chute unless you had a 3rd chute?

Now, if you ever want to see something burn that's really scary...set an older mattress on fire. That sucker is a pile of hot springs and wires in a flash, and it burns HOT. You'll never wonder how people burn themselves up by falling asleep with a cigarette lit ever again once you see it.

Luke
11-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Wow. I don't think I would EVER do that. I really wanna sky dive but not burn my parachute lol

Chance
11-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Aren't parachutes usually made of nylon? Did anyone think that wouldn't burn?

With the understanding this is a problem that will never be my problem, how many parachutists have had their parachute burn without intentionally shooting it with a flare gun?

Wouldn't purposefully destroying your chute to force you to use a backup chute be jumping without a backup chute unless you had a 3rd chute

You're suggesting "this is a safety demonstration" is thin pretense for a crazy ass stunt? Just think of how many rednecks would be injured if they didn't know about the dangers of jumping motorcycles over buses.

And I figured it would burn, I just didn't think it would burn like that. That was intense.

okie john
11-06-2015, 05:42 PM
This was evidently a safety demonstration to illustrate the importance of carrying a backup chute. This leaves me with two questions: a) is not carrying a backup parachute a problem in the skydiving community, and b) holy crap that thing burned quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFMGvjszu4s

I've seen some stupid shit on video before, but that takes the cake.

Okie John

pablo
11-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Pretty sure the chute has been coated with something. The little inner chute thing got hit with the flare too, but didn't go up in flames.

Dave J
11-06-2015, 08:23 PM
This leaves me with two questions: a) is not carrying a backup parachute a problem in the skydiving community,

Unless things have changed, FAA regs require the use of a reserve parachute for any intentionally planned jump, and the reserve must be packed by a licensed rigger.

I29alpha
11-06-2015, 08:30 PM
^^
Correct.

Not coated with an accelerant either, the fabric is more often than not zero porosity nowadays and some have some other joojoo on it. Parachutes burn fast. It's just fabric and strings. The jumper had their rig on and jumped out with the fire chute as a third. So they still had their normal main and reserve after.

PPGMD
11-06-2015, 09:30 PM
Unless things have changed, FAA regs require the use of a reserve parachute for any intentionally planned jump, and the reserve must be packed by a licensed rigger.

Emergency chutes also need to be packed by a licensed rigger.

Chance
11-06-2015, 10:03 PM
The jumper had their rig on and jumped out with the fire chute as a third. So they still had their normal main and reserve after.
Thanks. A YouTube commenter mentioned that, but I had no way to verify it.

I29alpha
11-07-2015, 07:57 AM
No worries.

Also, only the reserve needs to be packed every 180 days by a FAA certified rigger, anyone can pack the main.

hufnagel
11-07-2015, 09:22 AM
For the "Burnin' the flag is bad!" crowd (on the udrool site specifically)... I thought the proper method of retirement of an American Flag WAS indeed by fire? Perhaps the chute was old and set to be retired? While not to the full letter of the listing on the VFW web site, I don't think I see a problem with sending out an American Flag-styled parachute in the method shown.

https://www.vfw.org/Flag/

Drang
11-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Not everything that is red white and blue needs to be treated according to the flag code.

Also, a flag disposal ceremony is supposed to be conducted in private and with dignity and respect, not at 1000' AGL as some sort of YouTube publicity stunt or PSA.