PDA

View Full Version : Week 137: IDPA Classifier

Mr_White
11-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Week 137: IDPA Classifier

Results may be posted until December 6th, 2015.

Designed by: IDPA
Range: 5-20 yards
Target: Three IDPA targets at staggered heights (6', 4', 5' from left to right)
Start position: Hands at sides unless otherwise specified
Rounds fired: 90

This is IDPA's course of fire to determine appropriate classification for IDPA competition. More generally, it is a reasonably broad test than can serve as an ongoing benchmark of skill over time, and allow direct comparison to many other shooters, including up to the highest levels.

The targets from left to right are T1, T2, and T3. You'll need a short barricade at the 15 yard line and a tall barricade at the 20 yard line. See attached Stage Setup diagram.

Stage 1 (7 yard line)

String 1: Draw and shoot 2 body 1 head to T1 only.

String 2: Draw and shoot 2 body 1 head to T2 only.

String 3: Draw and shoot 2 body 1 head to T3 only.

String 4: Draw and shoot 2 to each head T1 to T3.

String 5: Start position is support hand only ready with handgun downrange at a 45 degree angle. Shoot 1 to each T1 to T3.

String 6: Start facing uprange with exactly 3 rounds in holstered pistol. Turn, draw, shoot 1 to each T1 to T3, slidelock reload, and shoot 1 to each T1 to T3.

String 7: Draw and shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 strong hand only.

Stage 2 (10 yard line)

String 1: Draw and advance toward targets, shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 on the move before passing the 5 yard line.

String 2: (Start at 5 yard line) Draw and retreat away from targets, shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 on the move before passing the 10 yard line.

String 3: Start facing uprange with exactly 6 rounds in holstered pistol. Turn, draw, shoot 2 to each T1 to T3, slidelock reload, and shoot 2 to each T1 to T3.

String 4: Draw and shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 strong hand only.

Stage 3 (20 yard line)

String 1: Draw and shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 from either side of the barricade, tactical reload, shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 from the opposite side of the barricade.

String 2: Draw and shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 from either side of the barricade, tactical reload, advance to the short barricade at the 15 yard line, shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 from either side of the short barricade while kneeling.

String 3: (Start standing behind short barricade at the 15 yard line) Draw, kneel, and shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 from either side of short barricade.

Procedural considerations: Concealment is optional. Targets can be engaged in any order, except from behind the barricades on Stage 3, where targets must be engaged from the outside in. 100% of shooter's lower body and 50% of shooter's upper body must be behind barricade. All shots are to the body unless specified to the head. On Stage 3, the partially filled magazine must be retained when doing the 'tactical reload.' The magazine may be retained in a pants pocket, magazine pouch, or in the waistband. It is not supposed to be retained in your mouth, a shirt pocket, or a dump pouch. If the partial magazine is dropped, it must either be recovered and retained or the shooter receives a 3 second procedural penalty. On Stage 3 String 2, the shooter may leave the tall barricade when the new magazine is fully seated in the handgun, and may not shoot from the short barricade until the partial magazine has been retained and two hands are on the gun.

Scoring: Limited Vickers (no makeup shots are allowed.) Your score is your time, plus penalties. IDPA is in the midst of changing its scoring system. You may either count 1 point down as .5 seconds or 1 second. Misses are 5 points down. Designated head shots that hit the body count as misses. Designated body shots that hit the head receive no penalty. Add up your raw time and penalties to determine your total score. See attached score sheet for Division and Classification score cutoffs.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol, holster, and concealment (optional) used
Raw time
Points down (specify whether you are using the old .5 second per point, or new 1 second per point scoring system)
Total Score

Here's a older video of 5-time USPSA Production Champion Ben Stoeger shooting a sub-60 second run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beF4r_wMtac

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Range1
11-16-2015, 04:58 PM
Pistol used: GEN 4 Glock 23 with LWD 9mm conversion
Holster: CompTac strong side OWB with open front vest
Raw time: 129.49
Points down: 22
Total Score: 151.49 (Using the new 1 second per point down)

Ran this twice today, miss-read instructions for one of the strings and did not catch it until the end of the course. Was too late to correct it so just re-shot the whole course. To be honest my second run was much better than the first one so obviously doing a "warm-up", even unintentional, helped immensely this time. I believe this places me in the lower Marksman level which I think is roughly equivalent to my DotW USPSA classifier lever.

GRV
11-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Old scoring method.

Had 3 QPT targets each 2 ft apart from each other. Left and right targets were 6 ft to the top, middle was probably 4.5 ft.
I believe we called the central part of the bottle (neck line to pelvis line) -1, everything else -3. For the head we used the gray area above the neck line, but demanded the shots be actually in that area, not just touching.

Only had the facilities to run the first two stages.

G17 Gen4
JRC AIWB-CDA-II under t shirt.
Stage 1: 41.31 -8 = 45.31
Stage 2: 52.08 -3 = 53.58

First time I've actually shot the classifier. I liked it. I'd definitely do this again in practice.

Miss on a head on Stage 1 killed that.

I had a premature lockback on Stage 2 String 1 at my 4th shot. I got confused and reloaded. I noticed what had happened as I started to reload, but the program was already executing and I just went through with it. Shot the next two rounds and then had another premature lockback. That one I could confirm was due to an non-usual grip.

In string 2 I got another premature lockback 3 shots in. Also confirmed grip related.

Sal Picante
11-20-2015, 04:33 AM
I haven't shot the IDPA classifier in a long time... I'll run my BUG/CCW gun and see where I place with that (Kahr PM9)

eyemahm
11-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Had 3 QPT targets each 2 ft apart from each other. Left and right targets were 6 ft to the top, middle was probably 4.5 ft.
I believe we called the central part of the bottle (neck line to pelvis line) -1, everything else -3. For the head we used the gray area above the neck line, but demanded the shots be actually in that area, not just touching.

Only had the facilities to run the first two stages.

USP Expert 9mm
CCC Shaggy, JMCK SPMP under t shirt.
Stage 1: 33.96 -7 = 37.46
Stage 2: 31.16 -4 = 33.16

Shot stage 1 pretty clean, as one should, with the exception of a missed head shot on stage 1, string 4. Tried to go too fast and didn't have a good enough sight picture.

Stage 2 was also pretty bad - went a bit too fast and dropped shots on each string. My shooting on the move needs work. The last time I did it was for a previous DoTW which called for moving as far and fast laterally as possible. That sort of movement is NOT conducive to good shooting on the classifier.

This is a better test of the skills we practice (and want to develop) than the FAM, so we'll definitely be doing more of it.

It's worth noting that these scores were slightly worse than those in an official classifier with my P2000SK, without concealment OWB (37.xx, 31.xx) six months ago.

ST911
11-21-2015, 08:24 PM
gen4 Glock 26, I-dot Pros, Talon Tactical A10, open carry
standard classifier scoring

Run 1
stage 1: 27.36, -13, 33.86
stage 2: 25.75, -7, 29.25
stage 3: 37.46, -20, 47.46
total: 110.57

Run 2
stage 1: 28.01, -15, 35.51
stage 2: 23.36, -12, 29.36
stage 3: 31.09, -14, 38.09
total: 102.96

nwhpfan
11-27-2015, 06:59 PM
I shot it in 76 seconds with 7 seconds of penalties so 83.XX

I shot it with -1 being 1 second. As result I was much more careful; my goal was to be down 0, which is easier said than done.

Personally, I felt like I shot it extremely slow to avoid any penalties.

Clusterfrack
11-28-2015, 12:26 AM
Great shooting nwhpfan!

Luke
11-28-2015, 12:31 AM
I've wanted to shoot this so bad. I love drills like this. First time I tried to shoot it it got dark to soon, second time I ran out of ammo, today I ran out of targets!!! At this rate I'll never shoot it.

BN
11-28-2015, 10:32 AM
nwhpfan, that's some good shooting. :) Where did you drop your points and what were you shooting?

I've been shooting the IDPA classifier and keeping records of my scores since 1998. ;) In recent years, with 1/2 second scoring, I usually score in the low 90 second range up to just under 100 seconds. Strong Expert scores, but not quite Master. :(

My very best was July 16, 2000. I shot a HiPower. My raw time was 78.44 with 11 points down. 1/2 second scoring made my final score 83.94. I was shooting on a range with the sun behind me. I was in the zone. ;) I didn't talk to anybody between strings.

I use the IDPA Classifier as a test for gun/holster combinations. If I think I've found the perfect Gamer gun, I shoot the Classifier with it. That will bring out the weak points.

I think the IDPA Classifier is an excellent test of a shooter. You must shoot 90 rounds, any one of which can tank your score. Consistency counts.

edit to add: Here is an interesting thread about times needed on each string. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7259&st=0

edit again to add: That thread is from 2003, so the times for each division have changed a little.

Edit once again: When I shoot the Classifier in practice, I score and tape after each string. This way I see what I need to practice.

nwhpfan
12-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Bill,

I dropped 1 second on the first 3 Mozambique's. I dropped another on shooting while moving. I dropped another on weak hand, and I don't remember the rest; although I think I dropped 2 on the barricade. I was shooting a G4 Glock 34 with Ghost springs and Edge connector (4.5 striker).

BN
12-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Bill,

I dropped 1 second on the first 3 Mozambique's. I dropped another on shooting while moving. I dropped another on weak hand, and I don't remember the rest; although I think I dropped 2 on the barricade. I was shooting a G4 Glock 34 with Ghost springs and Edge connector (4.5 striker).

Thanks. Awesome on the barricade. :)

Mickey
12-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Pistol used: Beretta M-9
Holster: Safariland GLS
Open carry
Raw time: 154.65
Points down 37 old scoring method
Total 173.15
I was using my M-9 while I was waiting for the new rear sight to come in for the 92A1 and the drive the dot sight picture was causing me some issues.