PDA

View Full Version : Artificial sweetener Xylitol causing dog poisoning and deaths

NEPAKevin
11-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Xylitol, an artificial sweetener used in gum, candy, peanut butter, etc. poisonous to dogs. (http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/11/03/sweetener-in-gum-is-causing-surge-in-accidental-dog-poisonings.html)

BaiHu
11-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Good to know. Thanks for the 411.

MGW
11-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Didn't realize it was used in peanut butter too. The only way we can get our dog to take certain medications is if we out it in peanut butter first. That's the only human food she's allowed to have. Thought it was fairly safe. Need to check on that for sure.

Peally
11-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I use peanut butter as well for a treat once in a while.

It's interesting how many human foods are poisonous to dogs.

Malamute
11-05-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the info. I use peanut butter as well for a treat once in a while.

It's interesting how many human foods are poisonous to dogs.

Yeah, like coffee is supposed to be bad for them.

Friends visit in the summer. The wife had to leave earlier, buddy commented on how the dog was going to miss his morning coffee that the wife made for the dog. I started making him a cup, and one for my dog, then found out its not supposed to be good for them.

They seem to prefer cream and sugar.

BaiHu
11-05-2015, 01:17 PM
Natural peanut butter seems to work for us. Peanuts and salt.

NEPAKevin
11-05-2015, 01:56 PM
The peanut butter mentioned on the first news story I saw was Skippy sugar free but its probably best to check ingredients of any processed "people food" prior to letting your dog eat it. FWIW, I have given up on trying to fool our Shepherds and default to the open wide down the back of the throat technique. Tried peanut butter, liverwurst, pill pockets, etc and eventually every single dog would learn to lick the pill clean.

Peally
11-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Natural peanut butter seems to work for us. Peanuts and salt.

That's what I stick with. They do make dog safe peanut butter but I'm cheap. Does Xylitol appear in an ingredients list or is it simply labeled "sugar"?

NEPAKevin
11-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Pet Poison Help Line: There’s xylitol in that too? (http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/uncategorized/theres-xylitol/)

Chuck Whitlock
11-08-2015, 10:08 AM
The peanut butter mentioned on the first news story I saw was Skippy sugar free but its probably best to check ingredients of any processed "people food" prior to letting your dog eat it. FWIW, I have given up on trying to fool our Shepherds and default to the open wide down the back of the throat technique. Tried peanut butter, liverwurst, pill pockets, etc and eventually every single dog would learn to lick the pill clean.

I got a mortar and pestle. I grind up the pill and mix it into some soft dog food.

BaiHu
11-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Sugar free and fat free are the most dangerous labels on food... JMHO

JAD
11-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Sugar free and fat free are the most dangerous labels on food... JMHO

+1. I had an evil little beagle that needed anti seizure dope. Dog would eat anything except what I wanted him to.

Stick pill somewhere on tongue, hold muzzle closed, blow up his nose. Worked every time.