PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have Tips on Improving My G19?

Hwikek
11-03-2015, 04:44 AM
I was curious about the DAT or "defense applications trigger" as I'd read on another forum that it didn't disable the passive safeties in the pistol. I was wondering if someone could corroborate this or if anybody knew of a better replacement trigger that keeps the gun as safe as the stock trigger.

Does anyone have any recommendations for new sights as I would like to replace the factory ones. I've found the stock sights to only be useful in a dim indoor range where the white markings are hard to see and the sight picture itself is mostly blurred out by foggy eye pro, allowing me to put 14/15 in the A zone at 7 yards. If I try shooting with the stock sights where sunlight is present then I'm too distracted by the rear sight occasionally acting like a road flare due to the sunlight reflecting off of it like a bronze shield straight outta the Illiad. Who can I go to in Southern OR to get the sights swapped out or would I be better off doing it myself.

Thanks in advance everybody.

Nephrology
11-03-2015, 06:29 AM
I like sights with a blacked out rear and a high-visibility front sight post. Personally, I use Ameriglo Hackathorns on most of my carry Glocks. They are below.

http://www.amazon.com/Ameriglo-Glock-Pro-Glo-17-39/dp/B005BSOHMI

As for triggers, frankly, I would stick with the gun how it came out of the box. If you really want an improvement, maybe drop in the factory "minus" connector (http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Original-3-5lb-Minus-Connector/dp/B006X38ISY) or a good 3rd party equivalent (I like the one from Taran Tactical myself, and Lone Wolf's isn't terrible either). They will drop the weight of your trigger by about a pound and a half and won't change any of the safeties in your pistol.

voodoo_man
11-03-2015, 06:35 AM
I would not do anything to the trigger until you can repeatedly use the OEM trigger with a fairly good degree of accuracy.

I like Ameriglo sights, but I also like the Trijicon HD sights, it really depends on your application - a review of three Ameriglo sights on my site - > http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/03/ameriglo-cap-defoor-pro-i-dot-glock.html

Also check out this thread - https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16981-Ameriglo-Night-Sight-Preferences/page6&highlight=defoor+glock+sights

Chuck Haggard
11-03-2015, 06:51 AM
I had the fire control parts on a couple of my Glocks NP3 plated by Robar. IMHO that is a really good way to go since it slicks up the parts really, really well and you are still using OEM parts.

Other than that, I put good sights on my guns, in the past I have always stuck with stock parts, and I add a grip plug because I like them. The best "trigger job" to start with on a Glock is a class and a couple of cases of ammo through the gun.

The Apprentice
11-03-2015, 06:53 AM
I like an extended mag release trijicon hd's and a 25 cent trigger job. If it is a gen 3 then some grip texturing. If i did one thing it would be sites factory glock sites a just bad.

Mitch
11-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Another vote for the stock trigger. If you really don't like the way it feel now try a factory minus connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurholder
11-03-2015, 10:10 AM
The only trigger change I've done to my G19 in the past 8 years was to replace the trigger bar assembly with the G17 version. That gave me the same, smooth trigger my G17 has; otherwise, no change to trigger pull, etc.

Certainly not a requirement - but I think it's a great mod for less than $20.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/triggers/trigger-w-trigger-bar-prod23040.aspx

11-03-2015, 10:31 AM
This is what I do to each new gun:

A Glock extended slide stop.
Meprolight night sights.
Vickers tactical magazine baseplates (mostly because they look cool)
A Glock (-) connector.

All you really need to do is spend $200 on two cases of ammo and you will be off to a good start. Go here: http://pistol-training.com/drills, and then shoot all of said ammo.

ssb
11-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Sights are the first thing I'd change on the pistol, though. I've been using Trijicon HDs since 2012, but I'm waiting on some Defoors right now as part of an experiment. Get a good set in whatever your preference is -- plenty of flavors out there: tritium, high-vis front, FO, black-on-black, etc.

I've been using the standard dot connector w/ G17 trigger bar. I did do a bit of a polish job on the parts just because, and I also hit the trigger safety with some emery cloth to keep that from biting my index finger. I'm not good enough to need anything beyond that.

I have extended slide releases on both of my 19s -- one is a Vickers part and the other is the OEM. Initially both had the Vickers part, but one caused premature lockbacks right out of the gate. The other has proven reliable. Given my experience with the first (apparently a common one, from the thread I posted) I can't say I'd buy again, even though the Vickers part feels better.

I'm on the fence about extended mag releases. If I had Gen 3s I'd need them, but I'm not sure on the Gen 4s. I might give the Vickers release a try down the road, but I've got other priorities right now.

I also use the Glockmeister grip plug. I like it -- it seems to help the mag into the gun when I'm sloppy.

Hwikek
11-03-2015, 01:16 PM
I don't really mind the stock trigger but I was curious about whether anyone had tested out the Apex, Agency, or Glockkraft triggers. I haven't personally felt any handgun triggers that I thought were that good but I'm new to handguns in general. So far I've only put about 3-500 rounds through this Glock but I'd guess it's closer to 300.

It seems as if everyone differs in what replacement sights they recommend, has anyone used the Warren sights? I see they are available for $88 on SKD with a black rear and a tritium front sight. Would it be easy enough to just use the warren rear and put a Trijicon HD on the front and use that combination instead?

I'm debating whether or not to switch out the slidestop on my G19 for an extended version. So far I haven't had any problems working the slidestop at the range but occasionally I have had issues trying to work the slidestop at home due to the angle. I shoot the gun right handed and use that thumb to release the slidestop. When I have problems with the slidestop it is usually my thumb being unable to impart enough force directly down the main body of the slidestop instead of on the side if I don't hit the slidestop square on. This is making me think that I really should swap it out because I can only imagine that if it were ever "crunch time" I'd have a harder time releasing the slide lock.

JHC
11-03-2015, 01:25 PM
Meh, the best shooting I've done for some years has been with a RTF2 G17, HD sights and a minus connector. No thing else but about 12K rounds on that pistol.

vcdgrips
11-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Lots of genius in this thread- a quality set of nightsights, a couple cases of ammo, a class and perhaps a "-" connector and get to training.
On a pre Gen 4 gun, the judicous application of 3m stair tape or some stippling can be quite helpful. Mnay Gen 4 owners report that no tape or stippling is needed.

YMMV Greatly.
David Barnes
vcdgrips.com

JHC
11-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Lots of genius in this thread- a quality set of nightsights, a couple cases of ammo, a class and perhaps a "-" connector and get to training.
On a pre Gen 4 gun, the judicous application of 3m stair tape or some stippling can be quite helpful. Mnay Gen 4 owners report that no tape or stippling is needed.

YMMV Greatly.
David Barnes
vcdgrips.com

+1 after shooting Gen 4's and RTF2 I can't abide a Gen 3 without grip tape or something.

Hwikek
11-03-2015, 03:02 PM
I don't know about taping up anything on my G19, the only firearm component I've ever had taped up were some PMAGs I bought off of Brownells. Once I put the "grippy" tape on there it lasted maybe 12 hours on the curved front of the mag before coming off all six. The ones on the side are still there to this day but it has forever shaken my confidence in the idea of skateboard tape on guns.

JSGlock34
11-03-2015, 03:14 PM
I don't really mind the stock trigger but I was curious about whether anyone had tested out the Apex, Agency, or Glockkraft triggers. I haven't personally felt any handgun triggers that I thought were that good but I'm new to handguns in general. So far I've only put about 3-500 rounds through this Glock but I'd guess it's closer to 300.

It seems as if everyone differs in what replacement sights they recommend, has anyone used the Warren sights? I see they are available for $88 on SKD with a black rear and a tritium front sight. Would it be easy enough to just use the warren rear and put a Trijicon HD on the front and use that combination instead?

I'm debating whether or not to switch out the slidestop on my G19 for an extended version. So far I haven't had any problems working the slidestop at the range but occasionally I have had issues trying to work the slidestop at home due to the angle. I shoot the gun right handed and use that thumb to release the slidestop. When I have problems with the slidestop it is usually my thumb being unable to impart enough force directly down the main body of the slidestop instead of on the side if I don't hit the slidestop square on. This is making me think that I really should swap it out because I can only imagine that if it were ever "crunch time" I'd have a harder time releasing the slide lock.

I haven't tried pairing an HD front with a Warren rear, but I'm disinclined to recommend it. The HD front sight is wide at .140 and the HD rear has a wider .165 notch to accommodate it. I believe the Warren front is .125 and the rear is .150. Both the HD and Warren sights are excellent and I've used both, so you really can't go wrong here, but I wouldn't mix and match. I've mostly moved to the HDs at this point as I find the high visibility front sight easy to pick up.

As far as the extended slide stop, it is cheap enough to purchase and easy to install. I find the extended slide stop too easily activated with my normal firing grip, causing failures to lock back on empty magazines, so I don't use them. I have friends who like the part and don't have the same probllem.

Hwikek
11-03-2015, 03:38 PM
I haven't tried pairing an HD front with a Warren rear, but I'm disinclined to recommend it. The HD front sight is wide at .140 and the HD rear has a wider .165 notch to accommodate it. I believe the Warren front is .125 and the rear is .150. Both the HD and Warren sights are excellent and I've used both, so you really can't go wrong here, but I wouldn't mix and match. I've mostly moved to the HDs at this point as I find the high visibility front sight easy to pick up.

As far as the extended slide stop, it is cheap enough to purchase and easy to install. I find the extended slide stop too easily activated with my normal firing grip, causing failures to lock back on empty magazines, so I don't use them. I have friends who like the part and don't have the same probllem.

Do you know about any other blacked out rear sights that have a thinner notch that might better fit an HD front? I don't want any tritium in the rear since I'm already having trouble on the range with my rear sight occasionally being a distraction.

JSGlock34
11-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Do you know about any other blacked out rear sights that have a thinner notch that might better fit an HD front? I don't want any tritium in the rear since I'm already having trouble on the range with my rear sight occasionally being a distraction.

You'd want a wider rear notch to pair with a HD front. Again, I wouldn't recommend starting off with mixing and matching - too easy to pair the wrong height sites. I'd consider looking for a set from the Ameriglo catalog. Ameriglo has a number of choices and I'm sure you could find a hi-vis front paired with a plain rear.

What are you using now? The HD rear sight isn't particularly distracting.

Hwikek
11-03-2015, 04:00 PM
You'd want a wider rear notch to pair with a HD front. Again, I wouldn't recommend starting off with mixing and matching - too easy to pair the wrong height sites. I'd consider looking for a set from the Ameriglo catalog. Ameriglo has a number of choices and I'm sure you could find a hi-vis front paired with a plain rear.

What are you using now? The HD rear sight isn't particularly distracting.

Why do I want a wider rear sight? Right now I just have the factory sights on the pistol. Under the right lighting, i.e. Sunlight, the rear sight glistens quite brightly. This makes it pretty difficult to see the front site since it is so distracting.

LSP552
11-03-2015, 04:22 PM
+1 after shooting Gen 4's and RTF2 I can't abide a Gen 3 without grip tape or something.

For my carry 17 (3rd gen) and 19 (2nd Gen), I like tape on the front and rear, but not the sides. I personally find that the front and rear tapes doesn't add any real bulk to the grip, which is a gripe I have with the precut full-wrap stuff. For me, the front and rear tape anchors the gun well.

For the OP, I like Trijicion HDs or Ameriglo equivalent, Vickers mag catch, factory extended slide stop lever, factory 3.5 "-" connector, and grip plug. Everything you need in a social pistol, nothing you don't.

Tamara
11-03-2015, 04:41 PM
I would not do anything to the trigger until you can repeatedly use the OEM trigger with a fairly good degree of accuracy.

^^^That.

As far as sights, I've got green Ameriglo I-Dot Pros on my Glock and have no complaints with them*.

*My experience with the orange ones on my M&P9 carry gun has been snakebit, however.

HopetonBrown
11-03-2015, 05:08 PM

The Ameriglo Hack (GL-433) is basically a Trijicon HD-like 140 front paired with a plain black 180 rear. $67 delivered from Optics Planet. PM Optics Planet sponsored 3 gunner Jesse Tischauser on IG or FB for a 10% off code.

LOKNLOD
11-03-2015, 05:11 PM
My recently acquired G19G4 got sights (10-8s, .115 red fiber front and .140 rear plain -- it's in the testing phase, I wanted to try out these style sights) and that's it. I might consider playing with NY1/"-" connector configurations, but I'm out of spares and don't feel like ordering more (or cannibalizing another gun) so it shoots fine as is. Honestly there's not much else to do with it. If it were a gen3, I'd add a Tangodown mag release, but that's about it. I like buttpl- ,er, I wouldn't mind installing a plug into the buttho-, er, I don't mind filling the space behind the magwell with a plastic block thingy (whew!), but I don't care about that enough to pay shipping on a solo order.

For night sights with a hi-viz front, I've come to be a fan of the Amerglo "Spartan" setup, or the Hackathorns, if you prefer a plain rear (and want to save a buck). Trijicon HDs are nice but they stick up more and tend to poke my gut carried AIWB.

^^^That.

As far as sights, I've got green Ameriglo I-Dot Pros on my Glock and have no complaints with them*.

*My experience with the orange ones on my M&P9 carry gun has been snakebit, however.

Related to quality issues with the sights themselves, or not liking they way they work for you?

PD Sgt.
11-03-2015, 05:18 PM
I also like the I Dot Pros or a TCAP front paired with a black rear. Ameriglos tend to sit lower which is my personal preference. I find HDs (which are on my P2000s) to be taller and wider than I really care for.

As far as triggers, I have messed with just about every combination of spring, connector, and striker safety available. I have returned to and found the best results with, stock springs, a "-" connector, and an Apex SB. My duty guns have a factory striker spring that is just a bit stiffer than stock due to problems we were having with hard primers in some of our practice ammo (WinClean). That, and thousands of rounds worth of training.

Hwikek
11-03-2015, 05:26 PM
The Ameriglo Hack (GL-433) is basically a Trijicon HD-like 140 front paired with a plain black 180 rear. $67 delivered from Optics Planet. PM Optics Planet sponsored 3 gunner Jesse Tischauser on IG or FB for a 10% off code.

Hold on, the pair of sights is $67 but you can get a $6.7 discount from Facebook. Does that cover the cost of shipping?

The Apprentice
11-03-2015, 06:49 PM

I found the extended slide releases would cause premature lock back I would suggest trying to use your support hand thumb.

JSGlock34
11-03-2015, 08:37 PM
Why do I want a wider rear sight?

The Trijicon HD front sight is wider than typical at .140; most tritium front sights (like the Warrens you cited) are .125 wide. If you install a wider front sight like the HD and pair it with a standard rear sight (or the Warren rear), it will reduce the relative size of the 'light bars' visible on either side of the front sight. This could make for a more difficult sight picture.

Right now I just have the factory sights on the pistol. Under the right lighting, i.e. Sunlight, the rear sight glistens quite brightly. This makes it pretty difficult to see the front site since it is so distracting.

Well, there are more sight options available for the Glock than about any other pistol, which is why you're getting lots of different recommendations. Ameriglo alone has a ton of choices. However, we can all agree that the stock sights are horrible. I'll note that the HD rears are serrated to prevent the glare you are experiencing. I've used the HD sights under a variety of conditions (day/night/indoors/outdoors) without issue and they remain my favorite Glock (and VP9) sights.

This is a good recommendation and sounds like what you're looking for. Note that the rear sight has an even wider .180 notch to accommodate the .140 front. The rear is also serrated. Here's a picture.

ssb
11-03-2015, 09:12 PM
For night sights with a hi-viz front, I've come to be a fan of the Amerglo "Spartan" setup, or the Hackathorns, if you prefer a plain rear (and want to save a buck). Trijicon HDs are nice but they stick up more and tend to poke my gut carried AIWB.

I installed a set of Defoors tonight, replacing my HDs. Night and day.

As far as triggers, I have messed with just about every combination of spring, connector, and striker safety available. I have returned to and found the best results with, stock springs, a "-" connector, and an Apex SB. My duty guns have a factory striker spring that is just a bit stiffer than stock due to problems we were having with hard primers in some of our practice ammo (WinClean). That, and thousands of rounds worth of training.

What does the APEX SB actually give you as far as trigger feel?

Hwikek
11-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Apparently the Hackathorn sights are currently $36 for the fiber optic front, should I just go for that?

Does anyone know someone I can go to in Southern OR to have them installed.

LOKNLOD
11-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Apparently the Hackathorn sights are currently $36 for the fiber optic front, should I just go for that?

Does anyone know someone I can go to in Southern OR to have them installed.

Link? Hacks are specific, don't believe they come with a fiber optic front - or they wouldn't be the Hackathorns anymore.

Hwikek
11-03-2015, 09:50 PM
Link? Hacks are specific, don't believe they come with a fiber optic front - or they wouldn't be the Hackathorns anymore.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ameriglo-special-combinations-complete-night-sight-sets-for-glocks.html

JSGlock34
11-03-2015, 09:59 PM
The fiber optic sights (GFT113) are not Hacks. Hackathorns are the previously mentioned GL-433.

PD Sgt.
11-03-2015, 10:00 PM
The Apex SB is a little more rounded and polished, so it just takes a little of the drag out of the pull when it engages the trigger bar. It is probably minimal, but some days I need all the help I can get.

LOKNLOD
11-03-2015, 10:06 PM
The fiber optic sights (GFT113) are not Hacks. Hackathorns are the previously mentioned GL-433.

Ditto, they 113s also lack the serrated rear that the hacks have, which is a plus especially if you've been susceptible to glare off the rear face.

Hwikek
11-04-2015, 12:28 AM
Okay, that's kind of deceptive advertising to list an item at $35 when the combination being sold for that price isn't even the same item that was advertised at that price. Well at least I know not to do business with them, I thought Optics Planet was supposed to be a standup company or at least not intentionally dishonest.

Whiskey_Bravo
11-04-2015, 01:40 AM
Recently added a Agency Arms drop-in flat faced trigger along with the included modified connector and all I can say is ....WOW!!! This trigger has blown me away and has finally made my Gen 4 19 enjoyable to shoot. Very fast and easy to use. Makes me want to run out and buy a Geissele SD3G for my AR now. Expensive? Yes. But an outstanding product overall. I would love to have one of their full in house custom builds now.

I also purchased/installed one of their magwells built specifically for the gun with the medium beaver tail back strap. While I like it, I am still kinda meh about it. Time will tell if it stays. At this point I am wishing I went with the Vtac mag well. Gun still need a grip reduction IMHO to get rid of the awkward hump in the back strap.

These are all superfluous add-ons though. As many have said here, all you really need on a 19 is the factory "-"/"." connector, some excellent night sights such as the Trijicon HD's, and possibly a factory flat faced trigger depending upon your preference. Installing a "-" connector in my Gen 4 19 yielded almost no improvement over the factory "."

Hwikek
11-04-2015, 02:39 AM
Recently added a Agency Arms drop-in flat faced trigger along with the included modified connector and all I can say is ....WOW!!! This trigger has blown me away and has finally made my Gen 4 19 enjoyable to shoot. Very fast and easy to use. Makes me want to run out and buy a Geissele SD3G for my AR now. Expensive? Yes. But an outstanding product overall. I would love to have one of their full in house custom builds now.

I also purchased/installed one of their magwells built specifically for the gun with the medium beaver tail back strap. While I like it, I am still kinda meh about it. Time will tell if it stays. At this point I am wishing I went with the Vtac mag well. Gun still need a grip reduction IMHO to get rid of the awkward hump in the back strap.

These are all superfluous add-ons though. As many have said here, all you really need on a 19 is the factory "-"/"." connector, some excellent night sights such as the Trijicon HD's, and possibly a factory flat faced trigger depending upon your preference. Installing a "-" connector in my Gen 4 19 yielded almost no improvement over the factory "."

What do you like about the agency trigger? I heard on another forum that it was the best flat faced Glock trigger the OP there had tried.

HopetonBrown
11-04-2015, 02:41 AM
I would love to have one of their full in house custom builds now

$800 to put holes in the slide makes no sense to me. $400 for their stipple job is at least $200 too much.

camsdaddy
11-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Meh, the best shooting I've done for some years has been with a RTF2 G17, HD sights and a minus connector. No thing else but about 12K rounds on that pistol.
This pretty much wraps it up. The best thing you can do to improve the pistol is to shoot 12k rounds through it. I promise you will see the biggest retune on investment.

jdw174
11-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Mine has a set of Warren-Sevigny Tactical Sights and a DK Custom Trigger. It goes bang every time and has been totally reliable through 4000 rounds.

Hansohn Brothers
11-04-2015, 08:55 AM
For me, replace the factory sights with Mepros or Trijicons. Buy a few cases of ammo and spend the rest on training. Repeat as needed. :)

LOKNLOD
11-04-2015, 08:56 AM
Okay, that's kind of deceptive advertising to list an item at $35 when the combination being sold for that price isn't even the same item that was advertised at that price. Well at least I know not to do business with them, I thought Optics Planet was supposed to be a standup company or at least not intentionally dishonest.

Following the link, the item listing is for Ameriglo special combinations for glock. Then you can pick from the different combos - gl433 hacks being one, the 113 fibers being another.... I don't think it was intent islet misleading, even if it was potentially confusing.

No reason to stump for Optics Planet, but they're a big vendor that'll often have stuff you want, so I hate to see you throw the baby out with the bath water over a minor issue.

JAD
11-04-2015, 08:57 AM
I run hackathorns on Glocks (first on a G17 and now on a G19). I like them very much. I have not made changes to any of the internals, and do not plan on doing so.

OnionsAndDragons
11-04-2015, 12:01 PM
Sights. Maybe a minus connector and possibly NY1 spring if you like to roll that way; I do.

Aside from some stippling, that is all a Glock could possibly need in my opinion.

For sights, I like: Ameriglo Hacks (because I find the Trij HD rears too pointy on the Glock), Defoors are also working out very well on the G19 I stuck them on. Warren sights are good, 10-8s are also great.

I think your cheapest option is the Defoors and a bottle of sight paint if Tritium isn't a must. The Hackathorn sights are hard to best for the price as far are Tritium fronts go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASH556
11-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Let's not mince too many words here. Can you do this with your Glock 19 at 25 yds from concealment? If not, then spend your money on ammo. I did this with my new Gen 4 Glock 19 when it was bone stock. I'm not some super-shooter guy either. 2 years ago I couldn't keep 5 rounds on the paper at 25 yds slow-fire. I've also only fired 3,000 rounds of pistol ammo since then. The best improvement will come from dedicated training, both live and dry fire; not sights, triggers, or anything else. When the time comes for sights, I do find that a bright front and a black rear works. I find the HD, CAP, and HACK to be too wide for my preferences. I use an Ameriglo combo of their TCAP .120" front with a black .150 notch rear. Works for me both defensively and competitively.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/F680A93D-39AA-4EFE-A214-C154BBD89342.jpg

42TNred
11-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Sights. Maybe a minus connector and possibly NY1 spring if you like to roll that way; I do.

Aside from some stippling, that is all a Glock could possibly need in my opinion.

For sights, I like: Ameriglo Hacks (because I find the Trij HD rears too pointy on the Glock), Defoors are also working out very well on the G19 I stuck them on. Warren sights are good, 10-8s are also great.

I think your cheapest option is the Defoors and a bottle of sight paint if Tritium isn't a must. The Hackathorn sights are hard to best for the price as far are Tritium fronts go.

I recently installed a set of Defoors on my G19. I really like them in a well lit area, but the range where I normally go also doubles as a coal mine shaft. I'm interested in hearing more about the sight paint added to the Defoors. Are you just hitting the front sight or front and rear? Any photos you can share?

Hwikek
11-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Let's not mince too many words here. Can you do this with your Glock 19 at 25 yds from concealment? If not, then spend your money on ammo. I did this with my new Gen 4 Glock 19 when it was bone stock. I'm not some super-shooter guy either. 2 years ago I couldn't keep 5 rounds on the paper at 25 yds slow-fire. I've also only fired 3,000 rounds of pistol ammo since then. The best improvement will come from dedicated training, both live and dry fire; not sights, triggers, or anything else. When the time comes for sights, I do find that a bright front and a black rear works. I find the HD, CAP, and HACK to be too wide for my preferences. I use an Ameriglo combo of their TCAP .120" front with a black .150 notch rear. Works for me both defensively and competitively.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/F680A93D-39AA-4EFE-A214-C154BBD89342.jpg

I can't, I don't have a CCW.

MGW
11-04-2015, 01:24 PM
I recently installed a set of Defoors on my G19. I really like them in a well lit area, but the range where I normally go also doubles as a coal mine shaft. I'm interested in hearing more about the sight paint added to the Defoors. Are you just hitting the front sight or front and rear? Any photos you can share?

I had the same issues. I swapped out the front sight for an Ameriglo .125 tritium. I love this set up with the plain Defoor rear sight.

OnionsAndDragons
11-04-2015, 02:18 PM

I can try to post a photo tonight. It's just a fluorescent yellow/green RC car paint that I hit the top few notches on the front post with. It gives me enough contrast for dim lighting, but I have pretty good night adjustment as far as my vision goes. So, it could just be me.

They were out of the Defoor Tritium fronts when I ordered. I'm interested in trying that out now, too.

The rear works just fine with a TCAP, CAP or PRO Dot too.

Hwikek
11-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Has anyone here used one of the Glock sight pushers from Brownells?

HopetonBrown
11-04-2015, 02:49 PM
The best improvement will come from dedicated training, both live and dry fire; not sights, triggers, or anything else.

I think the small investment in a quality set of sights on a Glock is a good investment for anyone taking training classes. It doesn't need to be one or the other.

OnionsAndDragons
11-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Has anyone here used one of the Glock sight pushers from Brownells?

I just use a brass punch and little hammer.

Last time I did HK sights I borrowed a pusher from a friend that got it on eBay. I was impressed. I'll see if I can get the seller name. He said the seller makes them and sells direct, so it was like $60 or so.

ASH556
11-04-2015, 03:11 PM
I think the small investment in a quality set of sights on a Glock is a good investment for anyone taking training classes. It doesn't need to be one or the other.

I agree and didn't mean to imply otherwise. However, for a new shooter who doesn't really know what he wants or understand the differences in FO, Tritium, etc. I don't thing a first class with factory sights is a bad idea. Gain some experience and at least a grid for decision making before dropping $120 on a set of Trij. HD's.

Hwikek
11-04-2015, 03:17 PM
I don't really know much about pistol shooting so in regards to sight picture I don't know much other than the theoretical implications without consideration of real world applications and limitations. My only iron sight experience is with rifles, carbines, and shotguns and they all have fairly different optimal sight pictures, well not rifles and carbines.

peterb
11-04-2015, 03:43 PM
I agree and didn't mean to imply otherwise. However, for a new shooter who doesn't really know what he wants or understand the differences in FO, Tritium, etc. I don't thing a first class with factory sights is a bad idea. Gain some experience and at least a grid for decision making before dropping $120 on a set of Trij. HD's.

Use the factory sights to experiment. Black out the rear sight. Try different colors on the front sight using paint, tape, or nail polish. Try taping a piece of fiber on the front sight. You can learn a lot without spending much.

Mitch
11-04-2015, 03:53 PM
I'd probably get defoor sights or something similar just to lose the plastic pieces of shit, but I wouldn't spend a lot until you have a better idea of what you want.

HopetonBrown
11-04-2015, 05:18 PM

The factory sights are counterintuitive. Focus on the front sight, but the dot on the front sight is partially obscured when you line up your sights horizontally. You can get a nice set of fiber optics paired with a black rear made by Ameriglo and sold by Optics Planet for $36. I feel that and a TTI (http://tarantacticalinnovations.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44_45&products_id=284) or minus connector will be a great $50-$60 upgrade to anybody's Glock. I wouldn't personally want to take a class with stock sights, and we're more experienced than anyone taking their first class.

Mr. Goodtimes
11-04-2015, 05:29 PM
I'd get you some 10-8 sights. The .125 or .115 front and .156 rear makes a great combo. I like my ghost rocket too, I'd helped a little without making the gun dangerous.

LOKNLOD
11-04-2015, 05:43 PM
I'd get you some 10-8 sights. The .125 or .115 front and .156 rear makes a great combo. I like my ghost rocket too, I'd helped a little without making the gun dangerous.

10-8s .115 front and .140 rear on a Gen4 19:

Luke
11-04-2015, 09:36 PM
I would just buy any sights you think look cool and just keep in mind the plain black rear is widely prefered. You don't know what you don't know so until you get out and shoot and experience you won't know what you do/don't like. I've been through so many sight set ups it's not funny and I still don't know what I like lol. But what we can all agree on is factory glock sights SUCK. BAD. So just pick one and run it for a while. You'll figure out what you don't like about that set, buy another set that had the options you think you are looking for, rinse - repeat.

spinmove_
11-05-2015, 07:49 AM
I would just buy any sights you think look cool and just keep in mind the plain black rear is widely prefered. You don't know what you don't know so until you get out and shoot and experience you won't know what you do/don't like. I've been through so many sight set ups it's not funny and I still don't know what I like lol. But what we can all agree on is factory glock sights SUCK. BAD. So just pick one and run it for a while. You'll figure out what you don't like about that set, buy another set that had the options you think you are looking for, rinse - repeat.

Pretty much this.

Sights are funny things and people get so wrapped up in them it's not even funny. Largely unnecessarily too. Here's the thing to keep in mind about sights: sights, on any firearm, are simply a reference for the shooter to allow alignment of the firearm in order to direct bullets to an intended target. No set of sights make you inherently more or less accurate or precise than another set of sights. Everyone's eyes are different. You perceive color and light in a somewhat unique fashion. Everyone's preferences are different. Some people get "distracted" by 3-dot setups or square notches. The fact of the matter is, if you have a good sight package (sight alignment and sight picture), and exercise proper trigger control, you can and will make your shots. Every single time.

So my suggestion? Find something you think you like and run with it. If you don't like it in time, swap them out. You wanna run fiber? Go nuts. You need tritium? There's plenty of options. No one can tell you what you do and do not need/want. Personally, it doesn't matter what firearm I pick up and shoot. If I do my part, I'll make the shot and hit my target. The sights didn't make me make the shot better, I simply used whatever sights were present at the time and I made the shot. So given my somewhat agnostic views on sights, here's my personal criteria for picking sights:

1.) Are they tough and able to withstand abuse and allow me to perform one-handed manipulations? (sights that don't stay on the gun are useless to you. one-handed stuff is just useful and not a feature that's available on all sight sets)

2.) Do they have tritium in front and rear? (tritium allows me to see the sights regardless of how much light I'm given to work with. I'd rather be able to always see them than to see them really really good sometimes and then not at all other times.)

3.) Is the sight picture simple? (I'm a huge fan of the KISS approach to doing things.)

So based on MY criteria for ME, most variations of 2-dot and 3-dot sights will work just fine. There are far more important things to worry about than being picky with your pistol sights.

camsdaddy
11-05-2015, 09:18 AM
I currently have the Trijicon HD's on my 26 and my 19. I cant say they are better or worse than the standard Trijicons I had on them. What I can say is the rear sight on the HD is super sharp. I have considered going back to the standard. I shoot my revolvers well and none of them have the HD sight picture.

23JAZ
11-08-2015, 07:28 PM
On my G4 G19: I-Dot Pros with U-Notch rear. (Might be discontinued now), Ghost extended forward slide release. 10-8 base plates. Stippled frame, trigger undercut, half moon notches for stripping mags if need be.

Rex G
11-08-2015, 09:38 PM
The only thing I "need" for a G19 Gen4 is better sights than the low-end default plastic stuff. The rear sight is just too bright and gaudy, overwhelming the front sight. Plus, I prefer the non-serrated trigger that is installed in the G17, etc., which are large enough not to need the "import points" provided by trigger serrations.

Three-dot Trijicon tritium is OK, but I preferred, and installed, Heinie Straight-8 sights on the Glocks I used from 2002 to 2005. The pair of G19 pistols I acquired last year, or perhaps the year before, remain unmodified, except that one has Trijicon three-dot tritium that I understand were installed by the LE distributor, not the factory. I am still trying to decide upon the sights to try on the other. Sights are very personal, so what works for me might not be best for another.

As for third-party/aftermarket trigger modifications, I do not perceive a need, and my employer, a big-city PD, will not allow them, anyway. Any defensive shooting, on or off the clock, is considered line-of-duty, so if I use a non-approved weapon anywhere but at home, I had better have a very good explanation for why I was using something different. As I said, that is not a problem for me; a Glock is not a long-range precision rifle. The stock Gen4 trigger is actually quite like-able, compared to the more-annoying Gen3. (One nice thing about a large amount of DA revolver training, with stock factory springs, is that all other trigger systems then seem easy.)

BobLoblaw
11-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Sights, Glockmiester plug, and pull the trigger a couple thousand times to smooth it out...or you could spend a lot more money and you could possibly get a slightly better result that may or may not be noticeable and risk the possibility of tampering with the drop safety.

Hizzie
11-09-2015, 08:23 PM
*I'm a revolver guy.

I swapped out:

The serrated trigger for the smooth trigger out of the 17.
The standard trigger spring for the NY1.
The standard connector for the minus connector.

The trigger is now a smoother, single stage. It feels more like the trigger on a nice DA auto or revolver. I shoot better with this combo than a stock 19.

Appalachained
11-09-2015, 10:05 PM
I have Glocks with 2# triggers and all kinds of go fast gaming stuff, but my 19.4 is for carry. The only thing I did was added my preferred sights and a Glock oem extended slide stop. The best thing I did for it to make me shoot it better was put Two cases of Ammo through it.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/09/6e49a9c5a7e65dee4b362f5e84c3f20f.jpg