PDA

View Full Version : Is the Remington R51 Still a Bowl of Fail?

Sal Picante
11-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Is the Remington R51 still a bowl of fail?

Peally
11-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Eager to hear if anyone has news. I looked around recently but all signs point to it still being a dead joke of a project.

I wouldn't ever touch one with a 100 foot pole, but I was curious ;)

WDW
11-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Yes! In fact, just about anything made by Remington these days is. That gun brings absolutely nothing to the table. There are at least a dozen other proven, vetted pistols out there to choose instead. So my question is, Why? Why even consider it.

WDW
11-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Does that include current production 870Ps?

People that use them say those are still GTG, hence the "just about anything". I personally won't ever buy one. The last couple of Remington products I purchased were terrible! That's a shame too cause they used to make some top notch stuff back in the day.

Hauptmann
11-02-2015, 12:11 PM
You know Remington quality is bad when LE reps tell me to send any 870Ps not bought directly from govt contract back to the factory for precautionary overhaul. I would buy a Cohen product any day over any modern Remington products.

Sam
11-02-2015, 12:18 PM
So is Mossberg the answer for a pump shotgun now?

breakingtime91
11-02-2015, 12:21 PM

I just recently got an older 870p, if I hadn't I would get a mossberg.

WDW
11-02-2015, 12:21 PM

We're officially derailed now, but a 590A1 with Wolff mag tube spring & Vang follower is tough to beat

Sal Picante
11-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Getting back on track regarding the R51

I'm just curious. I know they overhauled the product, but dunno if it still sucks - just trying to get some info.

Sal Picante
11-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Yes! In fact, just about anything made by Remington these days is. That gun brings absolutely nothing to the table. There are at least a dozen other proven, vetted pistols out there to choose instead. So my question is, Why? Why even consider it.

I agree. This isn't about me or anyone making a choice - it is about pitfalls of design. Doing some research.

JodyH
11-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Remington in general is a bowl of fail.

Speaking of shotguns and bowls... the only shotguns I'll buy these days are made by people who eat bowls of pasta and excitedly talk with their hands.

Hauptmann
11-02-2015, 01:34 PM

Speaking of shotguns and bowls... the only shotguns I'll buy these days are made by people who eat bowls of pasta and excitedly talk with their hands.

Lol.....I agree, Benelli is the way to go for anyone's shotgun needs now days.

Back on topic, the R51 was conceptually a design that would take a company very focused on quality controls to make work well. Remington is currently not that company, and will likely not be in the foreseeable future.

Wondering Beard
11-02-2015, 03:01 PM

What about those made by people who eat fries and mussels in the same dish?

Hwikek
11-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Who are those? I don't know much about non Latino culture.

Wondering Beard
11-03-2015, 05:58 PM
I was referring to FN.

Mixing fries and mussels is a delicious Belgian dish.

runcible
11-03-2015, 06:15 PM
I was referring to FN.

Mixing fries and mussels is a delicious Belgian dish.

Frankly, that does sound divine - like poutine, but for a more refined pallet.

RevolverRob
11-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Is the R51 even back out? Last I heard (September) they still weren't shipping new guns to those who had returned their's under the recall. A lot of folks haven't had guns for more than a year now and Remington hasn't responded to any of it...at least satisfactorily.

Next shotgun I buy will be a Crye Precision Six12 (if it doesn't turn into vaporware). If the Six12 never comes along, I guess I'll...I dunno just not buy another shotgun.

-Rob

Sigfan26
11-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Is the R51 even back out? Last I heard (September) they still weren't shipping new guns to those who had returned their's under the recall. A lot of folks haven't had guns for more than a year now and Remington hasn't responded to any of it...at least satisfactorily.

Next shotgun I buy will be a Crye Precision Six12 (if it doesn't turn into vaporware). If the Six12 never comes along, I guess I'll...I dunno just not buy another shotgun.

-Rob

According to the rep I talked to, it is still in redesign. Also got to shoot their new RM380 (if the product that releases next week is as pleasant to shoot, and as accurate, as the one I shot, they might have a winner).

Wondering Beard
11-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Frankly, that does sound divine - like poutine, but for a more refined pallet.

I don't know about more refined (having never tried poutine), but it is divine :-)

More on the dish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moules-frites.

As far as I'm concerned, it's best using moules marinieres: Moules marinières includes white wine, shallots, parsley and butter to cook the mussels (from the wikipedia page).

Hwikek
11-04-2015, 01:10 PM

-Rob

The next shotgun I plan to do is find an old 870 and swap out the stock and fore end for the Magpul versions, and then add a new extended magtube and 18" barrel. I've had some great success with my old Wingmaster and I'd rather not buy anything new off the production line for a Remington shotgun.

nycnoob
11-05-2015, 08:04 PM
I'd rather not buy anything new off the production line for a Remington shotgun.

Whats the deal with the current 870's, internet searches only turn up issues with extractors. That does not seem to be a big deal.
I have a 5 year old 870, its never given me trouble.

Hwikek
11-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Whats the deal with the current 870's, internet searches only turn up issues with extractors. That does not seem to be a big deal.
I have a 5 year old 870, its never given me trouble.

Well, maybe they are improving again despite all odds :D

I've heard about issues with the chambers being poorly polished which caused rounds to have failures to extract. Most people could fix it by just finishing up the polishing themselves. Those might be the "extractor" issues you saw online. I don't remember there being too many other common issues that I've heard about but for the price of a used, old 870 I'd just rather not try to get an express and kit one out.